PDA

View Full Version : Hissem time machine

Hissem
04-17-2015, 02:18 PM
I just finished my DeLorean time machine replica or "close representation" of the time machine. I live in Appleton, WI, so this part of the country has one now driving around town and time. I made this time machine conversion to disassemble back to stock condition. I did not make any alterations to the car. I just used what existing to work with.
I have owned the car since Sept. of 2013. I did a full chassis rebuild from Jan. 2014-July 2014. I drove it till Nov. where I did a full brake rebuild. From Dec. to March I did the time machine work.
Any questions of thoughts, let me know, and I will try to be more active on this forum.

Timebender
04-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Nice work! I like how you hung the flux bands off those brackets from the back instead of screwing holders in the body panels. Very clever.

Jacko
04-17-2015, 05:37 PM
I like your car. Welcome to the forum.

Nicholas R
04-17-2015, 07:16 PM
This is definitely a style of time machine conversion that I can get behind!! I've always been in love with the idea of of a reversible conversion. I may favorite this for later because I love some of your creativity. The flux bands are especially clever! :thumbup:

burch
04-18-2015, 02:48 AM
Wow! Really well done! I like the integrated side markers in the flux boxes up front and the fact that you can still roll your windows down :) Awesome!

Shep
04-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Sweet merciful heavens in the highest, that is awesome! :eek1: And I thought I had a "21st century time machine". This really takes the cake for that title! Very modern and sleek right there. I guess it's time for me to step it up a notch (jk ;) )

Maybe I'm missing it in the pics, but where do you have everything mounting to the car? I'd like to do flux bands on mine without drilling any holes, and your approach looks superb! Ditto for mounting the hardware by the rear winows. I can see you made some brackets, but can't tell where they attach.

EDIT: I think I figured out the rear windows -- looks like you made platforms for them and mounted it with one bracket each maybe? Or is there more? Really digging this setup. :biggrin:

Hissem
04-18-2015, 10:51 AM
I know that I could have bought an original switch, but I thought I would try to make one for fun. It does work, but is not hooked up to anything yet. It has a magnifying glass sheet cover instead of a clear plastic cover. It makes the inside of the switch box look bigger that it really is.

Hissem
04-18-2015, 11:40 AM
Yes, I did make a platform to mount all the hardware that sits on the pontoons. They sit very snug and are mounted to the rear window wall. The first challenge was removing the rear corner windows. There was a lot of delicate scraping. In the process of making patterns and driving the car with and without corner windows, I figured out a way to mount the windows temporarily yet sturdy. I make a screw bracket that mounts to the louver gas struck bracket. This screw aims right at the top edge of the window and holds it firm. The rear window wall sits snug and has rubber pads to rest against the glass. Every panel works with each other to stay in place. As I was making the rear wall panel, I thought it looked a bit bare. I decided to apply brushed swirls all over it. It just gives it some depth and flare. The flux bands and brackets are mounted to the panels and hang over the outside body. There is a rubber pad that sits between the body panel and the bracket, so there is no metal on metal contact. I had to make many card board patterns of each piece, then transfer that to aluminum. I used aluminum channel with size .75x.5in. and cut notches to form the corners and elbows. Then I would pop rivet reinforcements on the sides of the bends. I mounted the flux bands by drilling strait through the band to the channel bracket with screws. I had a bock of wood behind the band between the band and body, so the drill bit would not risk drilling into the body. It worked and all is safe and good. I debated for a while on how to make the flux bands. I knew that I could make them as accurate as the original movies or compromise a bit and make them easier. I ended up choosing to make the middle section out of 1/8in. aluminum with aluminum flexible conduit welded to the outside edges. It saved hours of time in bending the piping. The flexible conduit does give it a different look, but does not take away from what it is intended to look like. I used decorative aluminum screen sheet you can get at Lowes or Home Depot for the middle covering of the bands. That has a square pattern of holes of 1/8in. and 1/16in. in rows. It makes it easy to cut with clippers and bend and form. It also gives it more depth to the bands than the regular screen. I used LED lights sandwiched between the aluminum band and the screen. The down side is that the light only shines out and is hard to replace when the time comes.
I will take more pics of how I mounted the front flux band. I did not drill into the bumper either. Most of the strength relies on the flux boxes that are mounted from the side light mounts.

Shep
04-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Wow, thanks for the info! I don't think you'll need to replace the LED's unless you're looking to change them. They don't "burn out" like most bulbs do, they instead get dimmer over time.

Okay, so you mounted the front ones to the side marker lights. That's what I was suspecting, but I'm actually impressed it holds the whole weight of it! Good to know actually.

Great idea with the conduit and rubber! I was expecting to have follow-up questions, but you answered pretty much all of them there. Sweet, thanks! :thumbup:

DMCMW Dave
04-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Matt is quite the fabricator. You should post a picture of your Space Capsule. . .

Hissem
04-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Matt is quite the fabricator. You should post a picture of your Space Capsule. . .

Here are some pics of my life size to scale replica of the Mercury capsule. Making the time machine was quite a bit easier and took less time and was cheaper compared to making a life size capsule. You can see the capsule on the trailer to haul it around in the back ground as I was doing the chassis restoration. I had to store the capsule else where as I did the restoration work. Now both historic vehicles are parked in the same garage.
It takes a unique person to drive a time machine on a regular basis, and I enjoy every moment of it. Prior to this kind of attention, I would transport this Mercury capsule around to events and airshows. The looks I get on the road vary slightly different from hauling a Mercury capsule and driving a time machine. People tend to be more puzzled with the capsule, where the time machine are instant smiles.

Hissem
04-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Wow, thanks for the info! I don't think you'll need to replace the LED's unless you're looking to change them. They don't "burn out" like most bulbs do, they instead get dimmer over time.

Okay, so you mounted the front ones to the side marker lights. That's what I was suspecting, but I'm actually impressed it holds the whole weight of it! Good to know actually.

Great idea with the conduit and rubber! I was expecting to have follow-up questions, but you answered pretty much all of them there. Sweet, thanks! :thumbup:

Here are some pics of how I mounted the front flux band and wires around the fenders. I have already needed to get access to the LED lights due to a short in the light band. I had to drill out some rivets and wiggle around the light band and got it to work. I then placed screws in stead of rivets. Not a very hard thing to do, just annoying and inconvenient.
I made some stainless steel clips to hold the cables on the fenders and along the bottom molding. They blend in quite well with no harm to the body.
I used the existing screws from the sun visors to mount the ceiling switch panel. This way I didn't tamper with the door seals as the movie did. The switch panel lay out is slightly different, but that is due to what I had available to work with. I can always go back and redo or improve anything I have made.
I do have a rear video camera mounted to the plutonium chamber with a 7in. video screen mounted to the digital display. The screen does swivel around and out of the way when people want to get a good look at the dash. The extra screen does get in the way when people look at the digital display to take pics, so it can move out of the way.

Ryan S.
04-19-2015, 09:36 AM
Matt
very impressive work on your BTTF conversion and thanks for sharing. As many have said, I am in favor of reversible conversion like yours.
I have noticed that you have a unique auto shift handle. Where did you get that and how did you put it on? Does it still lock with a shift button?
thank you
ryan

Hissem
04-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Matt
very impressive work on your BTTF conversion and thanks for sharing. As many have said, I am in favor of reversible conversion like yours.
I have noticed that you have a unique auto shift handle. Where did you get that and how did you put it on? Does it still lock with a shift button?
thank you
ryan

The stick shift knob is a standard knob from Walmart. I had a very hard time disassembling the stick shift knob when I lifted the body off the chassis. I accidentally broke the plastic button you pull up to change gears. The shaft that moves up and down has a crimped on plastic lever that you pull up on that cant slip out from the sliding plate on the console. Right now it does not have that locking bar. It does stay firmly in place in which ever gear I am in. Out of the whole chassis rebuild, this is the only part that was broken. I think I will attempt to make a duplicate piece out of metal that will do the same job. It is a intricate complex piece to make.

Mark D
04-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Nice work on the time machine Matt! Some of the pictures you've shared with me of your chassis restoration are pretty impressive too, like the scratch built crumple tube/frame extension you built.

Hissem
04-20-2015, 06:46 PM
Nice work on the time machine Matt! Some of the pictures you've shared with me of your chassis restoration are pretty impressive too, like the scratch built crumple tube/frame extension you built.

Thanks, Oh yeah...that crumple section was heavily rusted out when I bought my car. I knew that I would have to deal with all the rust on the chassis. For me being a welder would not discourage me from buying the car and working on the chassis. I was more fearful of doing a good job of all the disassembly and reassembly of the car. When it came time to do the metal work, I was very comfortable in this area. Making the front piece was fairly easy. I just had to take my time in making patterns and triple checking how it all would fit together. I wouldn't know how well it would all work until the body came back on top of the chassis. The steering rack also fit perfectly. It was a very rewarding feeling when it all worked perfectly.

DMCMW Dave
04-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Your neighbors must think you are a lunatic.

Hissem
04-20-2015, 11:29 PM
Your neighbors must think you are a lunatic.

Oh yes, anything less than a lunatic would be boring. I am finding it hard to think of projects that would top this one or at least projects that my wife would let me spend money on or take up more space to store them.
When I did the sand blasting at my parents drive way, their neighbors did wonder and notice this strange car frame I was working on but did not know or question what it went to. Later last fall when I had the car all done, I gave their neighbors a ride in my DeLorean. They do remember me working on the frame and now understand what it was I was doing earlier on. It took several weekends to do all that sand blasting due to weather. I would load it in the back of my Tahoe and make several trips to their house. I am thankful that I could fit it in the back like that and handle it by my self. It sure was cheaper doing it my self also. I know that the neighbors across the street have been watching this car come apart and go back together and turn into a time machine. I guess it doesn't phase them much, because they haven't said a word. They all drive Chevy trucks, so DeLoreans must not suite their taste.

Mark D
04-21-2015, 12:55 AM
It's definitely interesting to see people's reactions when everything starts getting taken apart. I can't tell you how many people thought I'd never get my car back in one piece when I was doing my own restoration. Matt, you went even further than I did with completely pulling the frame out from under the car too. It's pretty amazing how fast you were able get all that work done. When I saw that look in your eye when you started disassembling things I knew you were on a mission.

In general when people see what you're doing when restoring a DeLorean they either think you're nuts and that you'll never get the car back together, or assume you are some kind of car wizard. Throw in all the time machine stuff and that has to be a lot of interesting conversations you have with people. I've yet to put a single time machine part on my own car, but I get a taste of people's reactions here and there when I'm building props and people recognize whatever I'm making as a time machine part.

Building something like that with your own hands is one of the more rewarding things you can do. I can't give you enough credit for how creative you were with your car, especially how you were able to avoid drilling into any of the panels or fiberglass. I have seen a few other attempts but nothing quite as elaborate as what you've built.

maragni1985
04-22-2015, 06:35 AM
I am in total shock! I love your Delorean, so creative and just simply brilliant! man I wish I were you. :)

Rich_NYS
04-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Impressive work, and I want to sit in that space capsule!

Hissem
04-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Impressive work, and I want to sit in that space capsule!

I mostly use this Mercury capsule at EAA's Airventure in the Kidventure section of the week long airshow. Last year I drove my DeLorean to and from the airshow every day. I was able to park it in exclusive parking areas. It got plenty of attention and fit right in the aviation environment. I had just finished the chassis restoration a few weeks before the airshow, and I had a blast driving it to one of my favorite events.
A very incredible thing happened on night on my way home. As I was in one lane that merged to an other lane, a few cars away was an other DeLorean. We were honking and waving, but sadly the flow of traffic separated us from meeting up. We were two DeLoreans bumping into each other in the wild.
Here is a link to my blog that covers more about my Mercury capsule and what it looks like inside. http://mercurycapsule.blogspot.com/

Timebender
04-23-2015, 07:12 PM
There's a Mercury space capsule at the San Diego Air and Space Museum, which they've had for many years - don't know if the one they have now was the same one when I was a kid. The cool thing was you could sit in it, flip the switches and hear Mission Control.

Good memories. I'm sure yours gives kids of all ages the giddies.

mluder
04-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Brilliant!
I love the fact that this is reversible. How long does it take you to go from one to the other?

Are you willing to share any plans or drawings you might have for this? I'd love to have a conversion for events but would never convert my car permanently. That said I'd seriously consider building a a version like this that I could put together for shows and still have my regular car when I wanted it.

Cheers
Steven

Hissem
04-25-2015, 12:03 AM
Brilliant!
I love the fact that this is reversible. How long does it take you to go from one to the other?

Are you willing to share any plans or drawings you might have for this? I'd love to have a conversion for events but would never convert my car permanently. That said I'd seriously consider building a a version like this that I could put together for shows and still have my regular car when I wanted it.

Cheers
Steven

It took about 4 months of free time this last winter. This was the best way to pass the time with snow outside, and I had a goal to be done when the snow melted. I have had a life time of practicing of making models of the car and study, so doing the real thing was just thrilling and very comprehendable.
I have saved pretty much all the patterns I used in making most of the hardware. As we all know, the first thing to do is remove the back corner windows. I scraped all the glue that holds the windows in, and that was a bit tough trying to be careful. Then it was easy to make card board patterns to cover the pontoons and back window. I know that in order to be "properly authentic", it requires removing the back window. In cases were we prefer the best of both worlds to have a stock car and an optional time machine, we have to compromise detail to keep the stock option. When you ponder how to go about making panels to cover the pontoons and window, there are several ways to go about it. I chose a way where the back window wall is one piece of .030in. thick aluminum. It would fasten to the pontoons panels. Then the pontoon panels would fasten to screw studs inside the engine bay.
The fulx bands brackets were then custom fitted to the panels. Each piece basically builds off the each other or previous pieces. Theoretically if my patterns were to be shared, they would work. It is not hard making the patterns, but making the pieces from the patters can be more difficult. I have a vertical band saw and welder, so that makes all the difference in the world.
The flux boxes were actually the first pieces I started making. They are to spec, and made of 1/8in. aluminum. They are hollow boxes, and the wires from the side lights feed right through them.
The back inside walls are fairly simple. I made mine with a bottom floor plate to mount the vertical walls to. I also made it all to be quick disassembleable with wing nuts to get quick access to behind the walls. The bottom floor plate is also made in two halves to open for access to the fuse box. To get to the driver side would mean taking the whole back wall out. It can still be done quickly, but it is difficult and would be best to get help with that. There are all sorts of tricks or ways I found to accomplish something. A lot of it all depended on what was available to me. There for, your time machaine may vary.
To answer your question on how long does it take to disassemble it all...not sure. I think it would take less time to take it all off then it did to put it together. I think the back wall and engine hood would need a second person to help lift it off the car. I even made myself some stainless engine cover hinges. So far, I have not regretted making this conversion. I would like to keep all this on as long as possible. Mentally I see the beauty of both a stock car and the time machine. This way I can have both, but it is so much fun driving a time machine.
I hope this was helpful. If you want to see a picture of a part or area I made that you might have a question about, let me know and I will take a pic to answer your questions.

Hissem
07-04-2015, 01:30 AM
Here is a link to Channel 4 TMJ4 NBC in Milwaukee http://on.tmj4.com/1M0gLS6

Alan
07-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Matt, Nice inverview and good story. Well done showing the best qualities of being not only a Time Machine owner, but even "just" a regular DeLorean owner. It's a car show wherever we go.

cpistocco
12-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Your car is beautiful, and you are an artist. I would like to do something like what you did with one exception. I would try to retain the rear quarter glasses with my conversion.. This way you can truly have the best of both worlds.

Hissem
12-21-2015, 10:01 PM
That would be a big challenge to do a conversion with the corner windows still in place and to try to mount full flux bands. You might be able to do that if you tap into the black vent between the window and door. That would mean taking off the whole back panels to remove the black vent and replace it with a bracket that can hold the flux band. That would do that job getting best of both worlds without drilling into the body. It would be more work though. It was a challenging to scrape the glue out and remove the windows without braking anything. I think my car had extra glue from the previous owner.

Peripatetic
12-21-2015, 11:43 PM
Hey--

I think I recognize this car!

I may be wrong and haven't seen enough BTTF cars to tell one from the other BUT the fact that it's from Wisconsin and made by a fabricator as well as a few minor details makes me believe that this is the DeLorean I saw in early November at DMC Midwest when I was shopping for cars and looking at what would eventually be my DeLorean. Again, assuming it's the same car and I'm not making a fool of myself, you pulled up to the building as I was taking a test drive.

Is this yours?

Mark D
12-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Yes that is Matt's car. He hasn't logged on here in a while but I think he still reads a few threads occasionally... I'm also in Wisconsin and Matt and I work for the same company.

There was an article in our company news letter other day about him and his car:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=38731&d=1450790591

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=38732&d=1450790592

EDIT:
Looks like I missed Matt's post from yesterday so apparently he's still here. Glad you were able to log back in!

cpistocco
12-22-2015, 10:56 AM
That would be a big challenge to do a conversion with the corner windows still in place and to try to mount full flux bands. You might be able to do that if you tap into the black vent between the window and door. That would mean taking off the whole back panels to remove the black vent and replace it with a bracket that can hold the flux band. That would do that job getting best of both worlds without drilling into the body. It would be more work though. It was a challenging to scrape the glue out and remove the windows without braking anything. I think my car had extra glue from the previous owner.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I am thinking about being as least invasive as possible.

Hissem
12-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Hey--

I think I recognize this car!

I may be wrong and haven't seen enough BTTF cars to tell one from the other BUT the fact that it's from Wisconsin and made by a fabricator as well as a few minor details makes me believe that this is the DeLorean I saw in early November at DMC Midwest when I was shopping for cars and looking at what would eventually be my DeLorean. Again, assuming it's the same car and I'm not making a fool of myself, you pulled up to the building as I was taking a test drive.

Is this yours?

Yes This is the same car you saw that day I drove up at DMC Midwest. I was leaving the car there for the week to get the windshield replaced. I had bought it with the windshield cracked. That was one thing I could not do myself. I had done a full frame off restoration two years earlier and the time machine conversion over last winter.

Hissem
12-22-2015, 10:12 PM
I just finished my DeLorean time machine replica or "close representation" of the time machine. I live in Appleton, WI, so this part of the country has one now driving around town and time. I made this time machine conversion to disassemble back to stock condition. I did not make any alterations to the car. I just used what existing to work with.
I have owned the car since Sept. of 2013. I did a full chassis rebuild from Jan. 2014-July 2014. I drove it till Nov. where I did a full brake rebuild. From Dec. to March I did the time machine work.
Any questions of thoughts, let me know, and I will try to be more active on this forum.

I started out with the plutonium reactor on my car all summer long. I then had to convert to the Mr. Fusion by Oct. 21st. I could not go further into the future without the Mr. Fusion. I made it easy to make the quick switch over by taking the top hubcap section of the reactor off and bolting on the Mr. Fusion. The base still shows the nuclear reactor with the Mr. Fusion on top, so it is a mix of both 1st and 2nd movies. I just like to looks of the reactor. I also was able to get my input time display to function. I have to give my uncle full credit for making that work for me. It functions just as in the movie with a little twist. The center "present" time is an actual working clock with date. It has a big watch battery that is always keeping time while the display is off. It is hooked up to the the main time switch, so it is activated lust as in the movie. My uncle is a retired computer engineer, and he said that making this was the hardest computer challenge he had ever taken on. He also lives in Arizona while I live in Wisconsin, so were were working together on this long distance. The whole device worked with not issues, and he made one for himself.

Hissem
02-21-2016, 02:18 PM
I had the privilege to have Christopher Lloyd "Doc Brown" sit and sign my car at an appearance at the Riverside Theater in Milwaukee.

Hissem
02-27-2016, 10:46 AM
I was expecting to see Christopher Lloyd at any moment, but when I turned around, there he was ready to climb into my car.

Peripatetic
02-27-2016, 05:41 PM
Lucky!! I was going to try to have him sign my glove box lid, but the staff wouldn't let me.

I got a signed poster and a picture, so it was not a bad night at all.

You mentioned on the day that the conversion was reversible. Do you switch back and forth often?

Hissem
02-27-2016, 06:04 PM
I have not reversed the car back to stock. It is too much fun leaving it this way. If in the far future that the BTTF franchise fades away and no one cares about the movie or time machine, then the option of going back to stock would be available to do. I have no intention of doing that. It would take some time do that, perhaps a few hours with some help.
I am glad you got a pic with Doc. I was not able to pose with him and the car. He sat, smiled, and signed my car, then left. I am pretty thankful in the end.

aotmfilms
03-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Your only 24 away from me. Just noticed this.

--Doug:offtopic2:

cpistocco
03-10-2016, 12:17 AM
I have not reversed the car back to stock. It is too much fun leaving it this way. If in the far future that the BTTF franchise fades away and no one cares about the movie or time machine, then the option of going back to stock would be available to do. I have no intention of doing that. It would take some time do that, perhaps a few hours with some help.
I am glad you got a pic with Doc. I was not able to pose with him and the car. He sat, smiled, and signed my car, then left. I am pretty thankful in the end.

BTTF will never die. :) You may have to keep the conversion forever!!

Hissem
05-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Here are some videos I made on a typical day as I was going to work and leaving work.

https://youtu.be/vFSxT-1VQ-c

https://youtu.be/ETDwX_XGdeM

https://youtu.be/Cn60mMgA3Ic

Lwanmtr
08-14-2016, 05:52 AM
Wow..very cool. Awesome that its reversible too. My only complaint is that its not mine..lol

Love the solution for the bands.

One person mentioned doing it with rear windows still in and while it would bring a different look, a series of thin supports could be looped to clamp onto the body along the top, and then disguised as part of the machine....sure it would be an accurate look, but it may work. Maybe I'll do a render of the idea...but i couldnt fabricate my way out of a paper bag...hehe.

Citizen
08-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Here are some videos I made on a typical day as I was going to work and leaving work.

https://youtu.be/vFSxT-1VQ-c

I see in the first video, you're not wearing your seat belt. On your Flux Capacitor where it says "Shield Eyes From Light", I suppose you don't do that either!
: )

Hissem
08-18-2016, 05:49 AM
I see in the first video, you're not wearing your seat belt. On your Flux Capacitor where it says "Shield Eyes From Light", I suppose you don't do that either!

I took a good hard look at this video to see or not to see the seat belt. I always wear a seat belt, and it does look like a wear a seat belt. If you open the video to full screen, you can see the seat belt when I turn off the rear dome light. my under shirt is the same color as the seat belt.
It would also seam that the flux capacitor has been upgraded with a safer viewing shield...wishful thinking.

cpistocco
01-26-2017, 11:47 PM
Wow..very cool. Awesome that its reversible too. My only complaint is that its not mine..lol

Love the solution for the bands.

One person mentioned doing it with rear windows still in and while it would bring a different look, a series of thin supports could be looped to clamp onto the body along the top, and then disguised as part of the machine....sure it would be an accurate look, but it may work. Maybe I'll do a render of the idea...but i couldnt fabricate my way out of a paper bag...hehe.

I am trying to retain side glasses. Perhaps flux bands could be attached where the louver hinges attach...

cpistocco
01-26-2017, 11:51 PM

Hello
I love what you have done. Would you have any interest in reproducing/ selling any of these props for fellow enthusiasts?
Thanks
Charlie

Hissem
01-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Hello
I love what you have done. Would you have any interest in reproducing/ selling any of these props for fellow enthusiasts?
Thanks
Charlie

I do have some areas of skill to reproduce parts. There isn't much I can do that is 100% accurate. I am good with sheet metal. What parts exactly are you thinking of?

cpistocco
01-30-2017, 12:01 PM
I do have some areas of skill to reproduce parts. There isn't much I can do that is 100% accurate. I am good with sheet metal. What parts exactly are you thinking of?

I am interested in the exhaust vents and engine cover. What kind of metal did you use?

Timebender
05-07-2017, 05:22 PM

I like the effect of the Flux Capacitor personallly with what looks like actual energy coursing through the tubes, aside from not being in sync, but it looks more "flowy ". How'd you create that?

Hissem
05-12-2017, 05:14 PM
I like the effect of the Flux Capacitor personallly with what looks like actual energy coursing through the tubes, aside from not being in sync, but it looks more "flowy ". How'd you create that?

I started out using white LED Christmas lights for the FC. After a year I have updated the FC with ice cycle Christmas lights tubes. They are much better than the ones I started with. I know the tubes are not lighting up synchronized, and that is just the nature of those lights. There is a different beauty to it that could have a scientific explanation. I also used a LED Christmas lights for the S.I.D panel. Those I had to go on line to find the right amount of lights in one string that is able to connect multiple strings. I also used Christmas lights in the sealing panel. Here is a youtube video of all the lights on. https://youtu.be/vFSxT-1VQ-c By the way...I always wear my seat belt. I know you cant see it in the video, but I am wearing my seat belt. I was wear two shirts, so the outer shirt must be covering up the belt. The last thing I need is to give a cop a reason to pull me over.

Lwanmtr
05-12-2017, 05:23 PM
I actually like the unsync'd pulsing. Of course knowing you used christmas lights, now im gonna be hearing jungle bells when I see that...lol

Timebender
05-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Same here. I don't think energy can flow at the same pace coming in from different sources or channels, and it lends a more organic feel to thing, plus it's smooth like energy flowing vs the flashing of 3 LED's in the Diamond Select version.

iflights
10-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Nice article. Congratulations.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/14783/this-perfect-back-to-the-future-delorean-time-machine-replica-in-wisconsin-is-driven-daily

Hissem
10-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Nice article. Congratulations.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/14783/this-perfect-back-to-the-future-delorean-time-machine-replica-in-wisconsin-is-driven-daily

This was well written from at the spur of the moment interview. I would like to clear up some minor facts that are mentioned. The title says it is a "perfect replica". That is misleading. I never did say that it was a perfect replica or a good replica. I usually address it as a good representation of what it is supposed to be. The biggest question I get is how I was able to make it look so close or how I got the info to doing this. I explain that Mark D is a co-worker, and he has shared enough info to do what I needed to know. I then used what resorses I had available and without spending too much money. The result is what I came up with. It also means that there is a lot of detail but the wrong detail in most cases. The reactions with most people are overwhelming and are not trained to spot the fake and inaccurate detail. All they see are the highlights and amazing "false detail". When you study anything authentic, you can easily spot the counterfeit. I have had a few people point out to me some details, and usually they are close to being wrong in what ever it is in the movie. There were some cases, that they point out something, and they were write. Then I will go into the reason of why I did what I did, but that is rare. I know the reporter didn't remember everything I said. He was writing what about how the experience was at that car show. I will always be just one of those guys who is just living out a dream and having fun. I always give credit for where I am today to those who took the time to share their knowledge. All I did was to do my best with what I have. To some, it is too much to comprehend achieving such a goal and dream, and that's where they might think it is the real thing.
Basically, I don't want this article to be exaggerating or misleading in the area of "perfect/accurate replica"

Hissem
05-05-2019, 09:03 PM
I decided to upgrade the cable that goes from the front Flux Band that wraps around the wheel fender and under the body, then back up to the engine bay. I originally used a 1/2in. OD vinyl hose and used custom made stainless steel clips that clip the the fenders. Now I replaced that with a self-holding-shaped cable that holds its shape close tight to the body with no clips on the stainless panels. I bought 1/2in OD flexible copper tubing and 3/4in OD black vinyl hose. I slid the black hose over the copper piping and hand formed the shape it needed to be that goes around the car. It worked remarkably well!!! The back vinyl hose is soft touch to the body and tight to the body with no vibration as I drive. I did use two clips that are wedged under the back molding where it is screwed to the body to hold the cable up. This is great alternative to what I had before and no harm done to the car.

Lwanmtr
05-05-2019, 09:55 PM
Cool...and no holes in the fender?

Hissem
05-05-2019, 10:30 PM
Cool...and no holes in the fender?

That's right. NO HOLES IN THE FENDERs. The first set of photos at the beginning of my thread shows how I used clips for the cable around the fenders. I never drilled any holes any where. I was debating with myself of how to originally do this. Now I wish I did this when I first converted the car. It looks much better than it did before, and with a clean conscience of undefiled body fenders.

Lwanmtr
05-06-2019, 01:20 AM
Cool. Ive often considered some sorta non destructive removable thing. Hope to see yours in person some time.