PDA

View Full Version : Wanted WTB Grey Dash and Binnacle in good condition

Justin51982
04-27-2015, 08:15 PM
Anyone have a crack-free set, in grey, they'd sell? If so, send me a price.

Thanks,

Justin

sdg3205
04-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Anyone have a crack-free set, in grey, they'd sell? If so, send me a price.

Thanks,

Justin

OEM? Probably not, or at least be ready to pay $1,500 or more.

DMCH offeres an ABS dash. Have you checked it out?

Binnacles are either private, short runs of alternative materials (like Fiberglas) or recovers. Pick your poison.

Every now and then some D1 NOS binnacle pops up for $1k on eBay. Could always keep your eye out.

Justin51982
04-28-2015, 01:24 PM
OEM? Probably not, or at least be ready to pay $1,500 or more.

DMCH offeres an ABS dash. Have you checked it out?

Binnacles are either private, short runs of alternative materials (like Fiberglas) or recovers. Pick your poison.

Every now and then some D1 NOS binnacle pops up for $1k on eBay. Could always keep your eye out.

I have looked at the DMCH dash, but I don't know how I feel about it based on the reviews.

To be honest, I don't want to pay $1500, but I am absolutely expecting to pay at least $1000 should someone have something

sdg3205
04-28-2015, 01:33 PM
I have looked at the DMCH dash, but I don't know how I feel about it based on the reviews.

To be honest, I don't want to pay $1500, but I am absolutely expecting to pay at least $1000 should someone have something

Just FYI - I spoke with "Just Dashes" a couple years back, and for about that price, you can get them professionally refinished to better than OEM quality.

They use foam and vinyl!

Justin51982
04-28-2015, 01:39 PM
I thought about calling them...My only concern is the bezel around the binnacle...it has a small crack in it and I'm not sure if the plastic can be repaired....

Any thoughts?

sdg3205
04-28-2015, 01:48 PM
I thought about calling them...My only concern is the bezel around the binnacle...it has a small crack in it and I'm not sure if the plastic can be repaired....

Any thoughts?

I'm sure there are some trashed binnacles with perfectly good bezels out there. Even the vendors may have some good examples.

Justin51982
04-28-2015, 01:49 PM
I guess a call to them wouldn't hurt. Just out of curiosity, do you remember what they quoted you?

sdg3205
04-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Here you go.

For a 1981 DeLorean we do a complete restoration. You will need to
send the dash, binnacle, and glove box door into us and we will do a
complete reconstruction off your original parts. We work off your
original part to ensure that when you go to put it back in car you
know it's going to fit. Our current turnaround time is about 10 weeks
from the time we receive your part.
Send to: Just Dashes
5941 Lemona Ave.
Van Nuys, CA 91411

Cost:
$950 - dash
$500 - binnacles
$200 - glove box door
+ Shipping

This price includes that restoration of the parts in black. For any
other color, you can add $100-$150 depending on the color. I've
attached an order form for your convenience. Let me know if you need
anything else.

ccurzio
04-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Ten weeks! Wow.

But in all honesty, if they can whip together something high quality that looks OEM, I'd probably have zero problems dropping that kind of time and money on it. Worth it.

It's comforting to know that option is there.

sdg3205
04-28-2015, 03:00 PM
Ten weeks! Wow.

But in all honesty, if they can whip together something high quality that looks OEM, I'd probably have zero problems dropping that kind of time and money on it. Worth it.

It's comforting to know that option is there.

Exactly. I've always wanted a replacement that didn't just look OEM, but FEEL OEM as well. Originals are kinda squishy and soft. I like that in a binnacle ;)

ccurzio
04-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Originals are kinda squishy and soft. I like that in a binnacle ;)

I'm right there with you. Thankfully my OEM dash/binnacle are still tip-top, but if I ever had to replace it I would definitely NOT want a molded plastic dash. I need that squish-squish.

Justin51982
04-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Exactly. I've always wanted a replacement that didn't just look OEM, but FEEL OEM as well. Originals are kinda squishy and soft. I like that in a binnacle ;)

I agree with that statement, but I'd like to be a little under that mark, once you add shipping, it'd be around $1600-$1700. I'll still give them a call...never hurts to ask.

Justin51982
04-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Are there other companies similar to JustDashes out there?

I've been scouring to find one, but to no avail.

DMCMW Dave
04-29-2015, 10:02 AM

Kind of a question to everyone - has anyone actually used "Just Dashes" and/or seen the output, on a DeLorean dash? I have not, and always wondered how good it would really come out. I've heard people recommend them for probably 15 years now but I've never really seen one, nor even known anyone who as actually spent the money.

I'm not being critical, I really just want to know if it's really a viable option.

Delorean Industries
04-29-2015, 11:22 AM
This is where we have ours refinished. I can't stand covered and stitched components and pay the price. No discount for repeat business either!

sdg3205
04-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Kind of a question to everyone - has anyone actually used "Just Dashes" and/or seen the output, on a DeLorean dash? I have not, and always wondered how good it would really come out. I've heard people recommend them for probably 15 years now but I've never really seen one, nor even known anyone who as actually spent the money.

I'm not being critical, I really just want to know if it's really a viable option.

Good question, Dave.

It's rare to see their work this far north, but I've seen a few in american classics. Hard for me to gauge how close they'd resemble OEM in those cars.

Josh - what is your take? how close to OEM is the vinyl and feel?

Delorean Industries
04-29-2015, 11:40 AM
I would give it a 9 out of 10. I"m currently waiting on a gray set and can post pics when it arrives. I've only been building black cars as the interiors are easier. I hate the pricing... but what can I say.... when you are the only one with something.....

Mark D
04-29-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm also really interested to see photos of how the "Just Dashes" parts turn out. My dash is just browned a little with no cracks so I'll probably just dye it myself, but my binnacle is just starting to get a few hairline cracks. I've got a fiberglass replica binnacle, but I think I'd miss the OEM squishy feel even though I rarely ever actually touch the binnacle or dash.

Justin51982
04-29-2015, 12:25 PM
Josh, I agree...My dash has the stitching now and it's horrible, plus with the additional padding, nothing fits right.

Have you thought about getting the equipment to do the Thermo Vacuum forming in your shop? Specialize in DeLorean's and undercut JustDashes? From what I read, if you're wanting to do the set up for repeat applications, the equipment isn't that expensive....Just a thought.

I called them this morning...No discounts as Josh said.

$600 for the Binnacle.
$1200 for the Dash
$100-$200 for it to be colored grey (black there is no charge)
and additional $200 for the glove box lid.
+ shipping both ways

currently they have a 10-12 week turn around time.

I am not against paying for good quality...I would have strongly considered $1500; would ideally like to be $1000-$1200 to have both pieces re-done.

As far as I can tell, there isn't anyone that can do the same process as JustDashes does here in the States or Canada....If a company does exist that can do the same process, I'd love their info....If not, it may just be a waiting game for a certain vendor to get everything out for sale later this year (hopefully).

Mark D
04-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Just a couple thumbnail photo on the website

http://www.justdashes.com/NewSep05.htm

I can't seem to access their archive listed at the top where they supposedly have more photos.

Mark D
04-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Here's a higher res photo (click photo):

http://www.automedia2000.com/justdashes/jd0509a.htm

DMCVegas
05-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Can they do the dash without the speaker holes? And can they do colors other than factory?