PDA

View Full Version : VIN 16545 found in Greece with Saudi plates

ALEXAKOS
04-28-2015, 04:52 AM
And it has been here for over 20 years, impounded by the Greek government.
The Arab that had it surpassed the 6 month limit of keeping it in the country, so it was confiscated.
Now it just sits in a dark warehouse along with another 4000 vehicles that belong to the customs authority.
Problem is that although most cars get auctioned, vehicles that are over 30 years of age are not possible to auction cause the auction law covers only young timers.

So it is stuck there.... Until someone (like my self) comes up with a law to include those and hands it to the parliament for discussion.

So the mystery is half solved.
I'll take s trip again next Tuesday where they will secretly open the doors to that warehouse for me to take a few snapshots of it....

BUT!!! Due to the fact that it is government property I will not be allowed to take photos of the warehouse OR certain points of the Delorean where they have painted the warehouse code....

Till then....;) patience

Dangermouse
04-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Fantastic.

You know what we need. Vin plate, interior color, transmission, mileage,

If you can whip the rear fascia off and get the frame number that would be great ;)

Plate number would be nice if they let you.

Domi
04-28-2015, 03:10 PM
This is a great news, thanks for sharing your future pictures :)

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Gents... N few ladies aboard...
I present you VIN 16545 after 28 years impound. It was confiscated in 1987 from an Arab owner.
As you can tell, GRAY INTERIOR AND MANUAL.

Pardon the section shots. They had codes written on it on several positions and I was not to include any of that in my photos.
Oh, doors were locked and there was no longer a key available...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/12/f8eda49fb5a24f2fca802a71b100ca3b.jpg
One could call this barn find images
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/12/d1e0dff0849cd1a9c0001dc716af3bde.jpg
Steel seems to be dentless
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/12/726c154270a302807d587638bfc5e9d7.jpg
Smooth louvre with shot struts
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/12/a8d6579357438002a5bc5471745bb333.jpg
Black rear fascia
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/12/da1d92d0c9897b08772c0d2fdac4930c.jpg
Busted right tail light
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/12/3f6816fda0429be170e5478c6c816a69.jpg
Such a short lived engine only 4 years old at the time and already all gaskets are leaking
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/12/d403df4101839cf4fb69c39b9fdb8163.jpg
Same goes for the sump
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/12/53a09dcbbd0b4721bf7a31ba5f0d0cab.jpg
Frame looks clean and the catalyst has been replaced with a plain pipe.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/12/f21f433b66c0eb7511415c07c2b71658.jpg
N front
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/12/394e2dc3e82786b6a63396dd7878d8ac.jpg

What do you make I that? The whole friggin interior is dusted in but the cigarette buds in the tray are like new...
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/12/aa4dad802da405e5b5449205a94255ad.jpg
Someone ripped out the radio and messed up the centre console with the a/c faceplate.
Plus the shifter was replaced. I guess the round one got too hot to grab in the summer.

Note that in that impound building were over 200 classics. That were moved out or were sent to recycling / years ago... For some reason this Delorean still stands there along with recent built super cars in there.
I assure you, they did not keep it of respect or value. It just so happened it was not moved. Clerk said he car remember they had trouble moving it...

refugeefromcalif
05-12-2015, 06:35 AM
That's a shame! That car needs to be saved.
Wait, no toll booth window on the drivers side???

George

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 06:37 AM
That's a shame! That car needs to be saved.
Wait, no toll booth window on the drivers side???

George

CRAP!!!!
I just noticed that!!!! Good eye George!!!
What the hell is that???

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 06:46 AM
Could it be that the DMC Middle East replaced the drop glass with a full window opening half way for better air circulation?

Citizen
05-12-2015, 07:48 AM
Looks like the ignition/steering column was hacked too, I guess because the key was lost.

And it looks like someone might be able to reach in the passenger side toll window, and unlock the door to get in.

Also, I expected the frame rust to be much worse.

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Looks like the ignition/steering column was hacked too, I guess because the key was lost.

Also, I expected the frame rust to be much worse.

Actually the rust can't be worse. This car lived all its life in a dry hot cement building. And it's living 4 years it was either in Saudi or on Athens. Both iron paradise as nothing rusts here.

Dangermouse
05-12-2015, 08:00 AM
Could it be that the DMC Middle East replaced the drop glass with a full window opening half way for better air circulation?

Possibly its a plexiglass/perspex window, and not proper glass?

Dangermouse
05-12-2015, 08:01 AM
And it looks like someone might be able to reach in the passenger side toll window, and unlock the door to get in.

I was thinking the same thing. Then reach across and open the drivers door. From there it will be easy to open the trunk and who know what stories are hidden in there.....

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Plexiglass? Back in 1985???

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 08:07 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Then reach across and open the drivers door. From there it will be easy to open the trunk and who know what stories are hidden in there.....

Guys....
I was illegally in that building..., I was glad I could get photographs.
I had to drive my Delo over there to prove that I am an owner and not a scam artist.

Last time somebody was an that building, he posted photos online like he owns a new purchased barn and all those cars were his to sell!!!
The power of the Internet..., not to mention the trouble the officials and clerks got into after that shit hit the fan.

Dangermouse
05-12-2015, 08:08 AM
Certainly.

According to wiki, the term "plexiglass" was patented in 1933. Used extensively in the war.

So that means you have to go back and knock on the window and find out :)

Dangermouse
05-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Guys....
I had to drive my Delo over there to prove that I am an owner and not a scam artist.

You know we were joking.

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 08:10 AM
So that means you have to go back and knock on the window and find out :)

Veeeery slim chances of me doing that again mouse.
I am now trying to dig a legal or illegal way to get her out.....
Now that I got their attention and respect.... Furthermore the knowledge of how to restore her.... And turn her into a TIME MACHINE*....

*NOT!!! Freaked you didn't it!!

Citizen
05-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Guys....

Last time somebody was an that building, he posted photos online like he owns a new purchased barn and all those cars were his to sell!!!
The power of the Internet..., not to mention the trouble the officials and clerks got into after that shit hit the fan.

Alexakos...you did a great job getting in to see and get photos. Thanks much for that!

I should have said that in the beginning.

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 08:12 AM
Alexakos...you did a great job getting in to see and get photos. Thanks much for that!

I should have said that in the beginning.

Yeah but you didn't!
You acted like a true thirsty Delorean geek slurping for information!

Hahahaha ha

Citizen
05-12-2015, 08:14 AM
You acted like a true thirsty Delorean geek slurping for information!

Hahahaha ha

Well that certainly IS a more accurate description of me! :)

Thomas

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 08:17 AM
Well that certainly IS a more accurate description of me! :)

Thomas

There you go;)
I just save you from another session with you shrink.;)

Dangermouse
05-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Yeah but you didn't!

Hahahaha ha

Sir, sir. I did!!! On the other thread albeit....

But yes, it is great that we have investigative folks all around the world digging up these gems. There's one in Poland or Slovakia (I think) in the same predicament

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Sir, sir. I did!!! On the other thread albeit....

But yes, it is great that we have investigative folks all around the world digging up these gems. There's one in Poland or Slovakia (I think) in the same predicament

Mouse, you being of european decent, I'd expect you to understand the large geographic and ethnic differences of those two countries and not be so easily confused. Hehehehe

In Poland Tom should have a clue. While Tom's 5 deloreans were in that state in his previous storage.

Slovakia is closer to me but I would not have the time to investigate that or visit!!

Dangermouse
05-12-2015, 09:06 AM
It's not confusion. It is poor memory.

After poking the forums a bit, I find that it is actually Lithuania

Mark D
05-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Thanks for sharing the photos. I think it's pretty amazing that this car somehow sat there all those years when other cars around it were auctioned or hauled off for recycling. I hope you can find a way to get it out and save it from the crusher.

Under all that dust it doesn't seem to be in that bad of shape. The frame looks great and the suspension parts are all pretty rust free. It's definitely a great candidate to be restored if you can make it through all the paperwork to get it released.

That driver's window is pretty interesting. I wonder if the missing stereo is somehow related...IE someone breaks into the car by smashing the driver's window and steals the stereo. The owner can't parts so he gets creative with a plexi window, only to have the car impounded sometime later before he can fix the center console and stereo mess left by the thief.

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 10:08 AM
That driver's window is pretty interesting. I wonder if the missing stereo is somehow related...IE someone breaks into the car by smashing the driver's window and steals the stereo. The owner can't parts so he gets creative with a plexi window, only to have the car impounded sometime later before he can fix the center console and stereo mess left by the thief.

mark
Your comments always have great and upright way of thought. I processed that scenario my self but I can't remember how hot radio theft was in the mid 80s
It was quite the issue though the 90's due to the arrival of many immigrants. The Greek impound of cars is being attacked on a daily basis by gypsies for metal parts and other black market goodies.

This radio robber seems to have had time to remove. Cut the edge of the console so see what's up, then cracked off the AC face plate... DAMN IT BOY! Just read the DMCTALK forum through your smartphone!! Oh wait it's the 80s still...

I guess I'll have to wait until we meet again with her to let her reveal the story of her life;)

Domi
05-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Thank you very much for sharing your pictures with us :thumbup:
This poor car is in a bad shape, too bad it can't be save easily.

ALEXAKOS
05-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Thank you very much for sharing your pictures with us :thumbup:
This poor car is in a bad shape, too bad it can't be save easily.

A lot of good things are restrained behind stupid laws domi... And a dusty framed Delorean right now is the least of the unfairness we have going on here.

chris williams
05-12-2015, 03:20 PM
Amazing pictures, well found.
Chris

davidhamblyn
05-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Thanks for sharing Alex. Awesome find. Well done.

DMCVegas
05-13-2015, 03:58 AM
Amazing pictures, and an amazing find!

After reading up on EU Directive 83/182, I can see how this car got confiscated. Greece doesn't seem to play around with vehicle taxes, and has some HEAVY penalties! Speaking of which, out of curiosity, what is the law that has thrown this vehicle into limbo because of it's age?

It looks like it would take A LOT of effort to free this car. Is there no one at the ODDY/DDDY or Finance Ministry that you could talk to? Granted if you're not even supposed to know that car is even in the warehouse, it's going to be complicated to explain how you know which one to specifically ask about. But who knows if maybe you meet the right person who has the ability to free the vehicle, maybe they could be appreciated financially for their efforts...

Hell, in any case it would be a windfall if someone could land a contract just to haul off scrap, let alone auction the vehicles off on consignment for DDDY and just pay them cash. The article and video is a couple of years old, but they seem to just have hectares of used cars, and multiple warehouses full of them (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2201481/Bankrupt-Greeces-warehouses-vehicles-sold-red-tape.html).

ALEXAKOS
05-13-2015, 04:08 AM
Helluva article dug up DMCvegas!!! Kudos!
Yes that is what those cement buildings look like where the Delorean is in. As you can see tons of recent luxury cars trapped inside those 10 hangars and the Delorean is the oldest one in there. All others have either been moved outside or trashed.
They have recently increased the auctions by one per month.
But the Delorean fits in none of the auction categories due to its age.
The guy with the tie is the one I kissed up to let me in. The guy with the white shirt in the photo is the one who guided me through the hangar.

DMCVegas
05-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Helluva article dug up DMCvegas!!! Kudos!

Why thank you! I do appreciate that. :smile:

Yes that is what those cement buildings look like where the Delorean is in. As you can see tons of recent luxury cars trapped inside those 10 hangars and the Delorean is the oldest one in there. All others have either been moved outside or trashed.

Interesting... What is the chance that they would let the DeLorean go as "scrap" in that case? Could they release it as-is in it's current condition? Or are there regulations about the vehicle needed to be destroyed first? Can it only be released to specific group of approved contractors? It's not being auctioned, so it is *technically* a legal way for them to release the vehicle from their warehouse.

ALEXAKOS
05-14-2015, 12:50 AM
You have a very creative way of thought DVMvegas;) I give you that.
Scrap is picked up by car recyclers.
Auctions sell in two categories, driveable or as parts, and it can not be sold in any such categories. I'll have to find a company that recycles cars and play the game with him .
But then I will have a title less, illegal vehicle. Hey maybe I can trade it with a car in a museum or buy a title and vin plate from the U.S.;)