PDA

View Full Version : New Art Project

SoCalDMC12
04-29-2015, 12:01 AM
Howdy Folks,

As some of you may know, I’ve had doing auto-related art for a while, but haven’t been able to create anything new for a long time. (Basically, since I enrolled in school.) I finally had some time to explore a new direction, and thought I’d share a “speak peak” at few pieces that I created recently. Going for a more Cubist/Deco aesthetic. As always, feedback is welcome!

Cheers.

Ryan S.
04-29-2015, 07:32 AM
Excellent. Especially liked Dino

OverlandMan
04-29-2015, 08:49 AM
I really like the third one. I have one of your pieces of art hanging in my office at home already. Keep up the good work.

Victor
04-29-2015, 12:59 PM
Really like the third one too, and the Dino.

Mark D
04-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Awesome job. I'm looking into buying some of your art to hang up in my office, probably later this summer for a birthday present. :thumbup:

Domi
04-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Really nice, number 3 is my favorite :)

Timebender
04-29-2015, 03:21 PM
I like #3 as well. What medium and or software are you using? Nice work and I can see you doing quite well in your auto design classes.

SoCalDMC12
04-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Thanks, guys. These were fun to do. I primarily used Illustrator and Photoshop to create these, with some old-fashion sketching as well. Hope I can get one more done before school starts up again .

SoCalDMC12
04-30-2015, 04:32 PM
...I have one of your pieces of art hanging in my office at home already...

Awesome... Hope it brings you much enjoyment!

SoCalDMC12
12-22-2015, 01:55 AM
Hi All,

I’ve finally gotten*around to creating an online portfolio and thought I’d share. My first project, "Classic Car Art",*has been posted, and shows how my work has moved in yet another direction since I last posted here. Examples of interaction design, transportation design, and will follow soon.

Happy holidays!

- Geoff

https://www.behance.net/gallery/32236097/Classic-Car-Art

Timebender
12-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Nice work, Geoff!

SoCalDMC12
12-31-2015, 10:37 PM
Nice work, Geoff!

Thanks, man! Happy new years!

jamesrguk
01-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Very nice work, are these available to purchase? Preferably in digital format for printing locally (single use copy obviously)

James

Timebender
01-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Thanks, man! Happy new years!

And Happy New Year to you as well!

SoCalDMC12
01-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Very nice work, are these available to purchase? Preferably in digital format for printing locally (single use copy obviously)

James

Thanks, James. A few are available at https://society6.com/geoffombao/prints, but most of these are not for sale as of yet.

I'll be sure to post if/when I release any of the newer ones.

Best,

- Geoff

SoCalDMC12
01-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Howdy folks,

It's been a long time since I've posted an update. I've done quite a few more classic car paintings, but recently realized that I hadn't done one of a Delorean (at least not in my photo-realistic style). So... below is my newest piece. As always, feedback is welcomed.

A short time lapse video showing this work in progress, as well as my other classic car paintings, can be seen at:

Cheers!

- Geoff

Michael
01-30-2017, 07:55 PM
Very NICE!! Love it!

Timebender
01-31-2017, 06:42 PM
Impressive work Geoff!

Timebender
01-31-2017, 06:47 PM
A short time lapse video showing this work in progress,

Where's the video? I don't see it on the site.

Greg

Mark D
01-31-2017, 08:28 PM

Greg

Keep scrolling way to the bottom of the page, it's almost at the very end.

SoCalDMC12
02-01-2017, 02:08 AM
Thanks, guys.

This one was very satisfying to do... not only because this was my own car, but also because the unique way stainless reflects light posed a new challenge (and an opportunity for interesting lighting).

The car's design really lends itself to this style of painting but I think I need to resist the urge to do too many... I don't want my classic car portfolio to be too Delorean-centric,*and doing a variety of cars really helps to expand my skills.

SoCalDMC12
02-01-2017, 02:10 AM

Greg

Did you find it? It can also be seen on my Instagram feed: https://www.instagram.com/geoffyman/

Riley88
02-01-2017, 07:35 AM
Hi All,

I’ve finally gotten*around to creating an online portfolio and thought I’d share. My first project, "Classic Car Art",*has been posted, and shows how my work has moved in yet another direction since I last posted here. Examples of interaction design, transportation design, and will follow soon.

Happy holidays!

- Geoff

Omg that mangusta. That's one of my favorite cars besides the delorean . That's a car that when I mention it everyone gives me an odd look because they have no idea what it is

Timebender
02-01-2017, 02:06 PM
Keep scrolling way to the bottom of the page, it's almost at the very end.
Thanks. And wow, I'm impressed. Maybe Geoff would be willing to do a walkthrough video as well as to how he gets the details like the rims, etc.

As a designer myself I'm always interested in how other people work - and I'd love to be able to do automotive illustration like that someday.

Timebender
02-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Did you find it? It can also be seen on my Instagram feed: https://www.instagram.com/geoffyman/

I did. Have you ever or would you ever do a video walkthrough as you're doing the work so we can get an inside look as to how you do it?

Michael
02-01-2017, 03:00 PM
I did. Have you ever or would you ever do a video walkthrough as you're doing the work so we can get an inside look as to how you do it?

+1 I have tried to render on several occasions but it takes me a long time. I have seen people do it an an hour where it takes me several. I use a simple Sketchbook Pro rather than the expensive stuff but I still am missing something. Here are a few of my designs. The DeLorean is my estimate on what a Second gen would have looked like. My problem is that I spend way too much time on paint. I bet I have 20 layers on body paint alone. Designing the car is the easy part for me, painting it is the tough part.
48751 48752 48753

SoCalDMC12
02-01-2017, 05:26 PM
Omg that mangusta. That's one of my favorite cars besides the delorean . That's a car that when I mention it everyone gives me an odd look because they have no idea what it is

Me too! They're so beautiful in real life... and so rare. I guess it's understandable that people don't know about them since only about 400 were made. I ran into one guy who thought it was a split window Pantera... I guess he wasn't too far off... :-)

SoCalDMC12
02-01-2017, 05:32 PM
+1 I have tried to render on several occasions but it takes me a long time. I have seen people do it an an hour where it takes me several. I use a simple Sketchbook Pro rather than the expensive stuff but I still am missing something. Here are a few of my designs. The DeLorean is my estimate on what a Second gen would have looked like. My problem is that I spend way too much time on paint. I bet I have 20 layers on body paint alone. Designing the car is the easy part for me, painting it is the tough part.
48751 48752 48753

Those look cool! You posted one or two of them in the past, yes?

Seems like there's no getting around the hours it takes to do these renders. A high level of detail takes forever, which is why I don't really want to do a video of me working on one... it would just be too long. One thing that I try to do is keep the number of layers to a minimum. This will keep your computer from bogging down, and also alleviates some confusion when looking for elements to edit. It's tempting to just pile on the layers, but ya gotta resist the urge. I'm not familiar with Sketchbook Pro, but I'm guessing that it has the same basic tools as Photoshop.

Michael
02-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Those look cool! You posted one or two of them in the past, yes?

Seems like there's no getting around the hours it takes to do these renders. A high level of detail takes forever, which is why I don't really want to do a video of me working on one... it would just be too long. One thing that I try to do is keep the number of layers to a minimum. This will keep your computer from bogging down, and also alleviates some confusion when looking for elements to edit. It's tempting to just pile on the layers, but ya gotta resist the urge. I'm not familiar with Sketchbook Pro, but I'm guessing that it has the same basic tools as Photoshop.

Oh yeah, going back to find the layer to edit...fun. Next time I go on a design kick I will try that trick. Photoshop is basically a glorified sketch program, maybe more accurate to say it's a dumbed down photoshop. It's about 100.00 and it's great for putting quick ideas to "paper".

SoCalDMC12
02-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Oh yeah, going back to find the layer to edit...fun. Next time I go on a design kick I will try that trick. Photoshop is basically a glorified sketch program, maybe more accurate to say it's a dumbed down photoshop. It's about 100.00 and it's great for putting quick ideas to "paper".

I'll have to check out Sketchbook Pro. Adobe, in their infinite wisdom, no longer sells Photoshop. Instead, you have to subscribe to it (along with their other programs) for a monthly fee (I think I'm at $16 because I'm a student). And of course, the old versions of their software that I own no longer work on the newest Mac OS.

Timebender
02-01-2017, 11:54 PM
I used to do a lot of rendering using ink and markers - back in college when I was studying both architecture and industrial design. Something about pen to paper that made it more natural feeling. Though I'm good or okay with a mouse or Wacom, I'm nowhere near as good as either of you guys.

SoCalDMC12
02-02-2017, 01:59 AM
I used to do a lot of rendering using ink and markers - back in college when I was studying both architecture and industrial design. Something about pen to paper that made it more natural feeling. Though I'm good or okay with a mouse or Wacom, I'm nowhere near as good as either of you guys.

I recently got an iPad Pro/Apple Pencil... there are a few programs (some free) out there that allow you to sketch directly on the glass –*feels really nice. More akin to pen/paper than a Wacom, but somehow more "luxurious" than paper.

Timebender
02-02-2017, 02:46 PM
I got the 9 inch pro recently, and started to use Adobe Sketch. I also have ProCreate and Adobe Draw, but haven't played much with those - not yet at least.

My first attempt at sketching my concept for a Star Wars G-Wing fighter (based off a DeLorean obviously) is dismal so far..

But it is a rough sketch too.

SoCalDMC12
02-02-2017, 04:08 PM
I got the 9 inch pro recently, and started to use Adobe Sketch. I also have ProCreate and Adobe Draw, but haven't played much with those - not yet at least.

My first attempt at sketching my concept for a Star Wars G-Wing fighter (based off a DeLorean obviously) is dismal so far..

But it is a rough sketch too.

I use Adobe Sketch, too –*but only for ideation sketches. I have ProCreate, but haven't explored it yet –*some classmates use it for rendering and get great results so I may need to start using it.

Timebender
02-02-2017, 04:25 PM
I'm going to have to give Procreate a whack and see what I can come up with.

blueshark66
02-02-2017, 09:45 PM
Howdy folks,

It's been a long time since I've posted an update. I've done quite a few more classic car paintings, but recently realized that I hadn't done one of a Delorean (at least not in my photo-realistic style). So... below is my newest piece. As always, feedback is welcomed.

A short time lapse video showing this work in progress, as well as my other classic car paintings, can be seen at:

Cheers!

- Geoff

LOVE IT! Where can I buy it??

Already have another one:

SoCalDMC12
02-03-2017, 01:51 PM
LOVE IT! Where can I buy it??

Already have another one:

Hey... my Art Deco piece! So nice to see it hanging on your wall!!! Thanks for your support, and I hope it brings you much joy.

I've been exploring a different techniques lately (photo real and high-contrast/graphic), but I'll probably circle back and do some work in that style at some point. It works well with some cars (Delorean included, of course), but not all.

I'm currently looking for a new venue from which I can show/sell my classic car artwork... someplace with more reach, and perhaps more automobile-centric. I'll be sure to post when that happens. But if you really want this new Delorean piece, please feel free to PM me and we can work something out.

Cheers,

- Geoff

PS: Finished one more piece this week (below). I typically post new pieces on my instagram feed (@geoffyman) pretty quickly if you're interested in seeing my newest stuff.

Michael
02-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Hey... my Art Deco piece! So nice to see it hanging on your wall!!! Thanks for your support, and I hope it brings you much joy.

I've been exploring a different techniques lately (photo real and high-contrast/graphic), but I'll probably circle back and do some work in that style at some point. It works well with some cars (Delorean included, of course), but not all.

I'm currently looking for a new venue from which I can show/sell my classic car artwork... someplace with more reach, and perhaps more automobile-centric. I'll be sure to post when that happens. But if you really want this new Delorean piece, please feel free to PM me and we can work something out.

Cheers,

- Geoff

PS: Finished one more piece this week (below). I typically post new pieces on my instagram feed (@geoffyman) pretty quickly if you're interested in seeing my newest stuff.

Your work is truly amazing. Doing my own remedial renderings makes me truly appreciate expert work because I know what talent it takes to pull it off. When I show my friends my (again amateur) computer renders they are pretty impressed until I tell them I drew it on my computer, then they lose any admiration they had because in their mind all I did was push a few keys and poof! A DeLorean appears. If they only knew what it took to make the work you do.

Timebender
02-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Wow - now you've done two of my three favorite cars (thought the Countach in red is a much better way to go..). My other fave? 1963 23 Window VW Bus - had one I restored and regret selling a long time ago. I say 63 because that's my birth year, but also because the 63 was unique in that it included features from the 62's and upcoming 64 21 Window busses.

Anyway, again, nice work Geoff. I'll be following you on IG.

SoCalDMC12
02-05-2017, 01:44 AM
Your work is truly amazing. Doing my own remedial renderings makes me truly appreciate expert work because I know what talent it takes to pull it off. When I show my friends my (again amateur) computer renders they are pretty impressed until I tell them I drew it on my computer, then they lose any admiration they had because in their mind all I did was push a few keys and poof! A DeLorean appears. If they only knew what it took to make the work you do.

Thanks, man.

Many have the misconception that computer art is somehow "automatic". I usually explain that the computer is just a tool, like a pencil or a paint brush, only more powerful and VERY difficult to master. (Have your friends try drawing on your Wacom tablet... that usually gets the message across.) The school that I am attending didn't let me touch a computer until first studying manual sketching for over a year. After that it was a slow process translating those skills to digital media. Oddly, I've had people mistake my renderings for photos, which is why I started making time-lapse videos to show my work in progress... go figure. :-P

Your work is looking really cool as well... keep it up! This stuff can be frustrating, but really gratifying at the same time!

SoCalDMC12
02-05-2017, 01:52 AM
Wow - now you've done two of my three favorite cars (thought the Countach in red is a much better way to go..). My other fave? 1963 23 Window VW Bus - had one I restored and regret selling a long time ago. I say 63 because that's my birth year, but also because the 63 was unique in that it included features from the 62's and upcoming 64 21 Window busses.

Anyway, again, nice work Geoff. I'll be following you on IG.

Tanks!

Lol... I actually saw a 23 window VW recently! Might need to do one soon... I have a lot of VW friends who'd like to see one.

I did a white Countach because I wanted to do a minimalistic piece this time around. The white car on a white background felt simpler, and maybe leaves more to the viewer's imagination.

Timebender
02-06-2017, 11:15 AM
The school that I am attending didn't let me touch a computer until first studying manual sketching for over a year. After that it was a slow process translating those skills to digital media.

That's the way to do it IMHO. You need to understand the basics of drawing, perspective, lighting, etc. first by doing it from pen to paper (or pencil then pen then marker), because doing stuff that way, you can't easily erase a mistake, you can rough sketch, then do a version with blue lines, and so on - there's a process that happens when using our muscles in certain ways that commits easier to the brain so it becomes more natural and over time we get better at it. Imagine having to illustrate people. I've done lots of architecture, industrial design, and technical illustration work long before we had the ability to do that stuff (affordably) on computers, all on vellum with ink and markers, and long before I became a UX designer now - with the skill of being an industrial designer, which a lot of UX people don't have in their arsenal, and I'm thankful for every moment of learning the analog way. And I used to be pretty good at cartoon illustrations. Now if I could draw a car, or even a real person (or living thing), I'd be super happy, because I have some cool ideas stuck in my head that need to get onto paper, and when I sketch them it just isn't translating.
To be honest, I think tools like Illustrator and Photoshop made me lazy in that regard.

Michael
02-06-2017, 09:58 PM
That's the way to do it IMHO. You need to understand the basics of drawing, perspective, lighting, etc. first by doing it from pen to paper (or pencil then pen then marker), because doing stuff that way, you can't easily erase a mistake, you can rough sketch, then do a version with blue lines, and so on - there's a process that happens when using our muscles in certain ways that commits easier to the brain so it becomes more natural and over time we get better at it. Imagine having to illustrate people. I've done lots of architecture, industrial design, and technical illustration work long before we had the ability to do that stuff (affordably) on computers, all on vellum with ink and markers, and long before I became a UX designer now - with the skill of being an industrial designer, which a lot of UX people don't have in their arsenal, and I'm thankful for every moment of learning the analog way. And I used to be pretty good at cartoon illustrations. Now if I could draw a car, or even a real person (or living thing), I'd be super happy, because I have some cool ideas stuck in my head that need to get onto paper, and when I sketch them it just isn't translating.
To be honest, I think tools like Illustrator and Photoshop made me lazy in that regard.

That's why I got the Cintiq, been drawing my whole life it seemed more appropriate.

SoCalDMC12
02-08-2017, 02:32 PM
It took a while to get the hand-eye coordination down, but I've gotten use to the Wacom (Intuos)... a good thing since Cintiq is quite a bit pricier than a the Intuos.

FYI: There's an app called AstroPad that allows you to mirror your Mac desktop on your iPad, essentially a Cintiq-like environment. Have it, played with it a little, but my iPad is too small (I got the 9") for it to be useful. Shoulda sprung for the 12" iPad. :-P

SoCalDMC12
03-06-2017, 01:30 PM
FYI: just got my own website up and running. Haven't turned on the e-commerce module yet, but I think this is a better venue to showcase my work than Adobe's Behance.net. Check it out at geoffombao.com. As always, feedback is very welcomed!

Michael
03-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Nicely done! Makes a good portfolio for anyone looking to hire a GA also.

SoCalDMC12
03-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Nicely done! Makes a good portfolio for anyone looking to hire a GA also.

Thanks... I use to do graphics, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. :-)

blueshark66
03-09-2017, 11:22 AM
FYI: just got my own website up and running. Haven't turned on the e-commerce module yet, but I think this is a better venue to showcase my work than Adobe's Behance.net. Check it out at geoffombao.com. As always, feedback is very welcomed!

The website looks great! Congrats!

SoCalDMC12
03-14-2017, 02:48 PM
The website looks great! Congrats!

Thanks. It needs to serve two purposes (showcase my car design portfolio, and my classic car artwork), which made it difficult to design. Now I need to make arrangements with a printing vendor so I can start selling my artwork.