PDA

View Full Version : "Lost in Transmission" - Rutledge Wood new series, with a D

Dangermouse
05-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Top Gear US host and Georgia's own Rutledge Wood has a new series starting on 5/7 called Lost in Transmission, set in Peachtree City, just south of ATL.

First episode has local D that he restores, or at least gets running (from what I can gather from the trailers). Looks like a faded black painted car ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWCKq_yecnc

from the AJC

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015/05/05/rutledge-wood-has-new-history-show-lost-in-transmission/

10pm EST Thursday on the History Channel

Rich W
05-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Top Gear US host and Georgia's own Rutledge Wood has a new series starting on 5/7 called Lost in Transmission, set in Peachtree City, just south of ATL.

First episode has local D that he restores, or at least gets running (from what I can gather from the trailers). Looks like a faded black painted car ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWCKq_yecnc

from the AJC

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015/05/05/rutledge-wood-has-new-history-show-lost-in-transmission/

10pm EST Thursday on the History Channel

Not a "local" D, since they could not find the "story line" they wanted locally. Project car was transported to ATL area.

Some people will be surprised with the owner of the project car (former forum member) and others already know.

A running DeLorean was used for part of the show and this car was also not "local", but brought to the ATL area.

There are a few other teaser trailers out there that will tell most of the back story (some since March 30th).

Rich W
05-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Not a "local" D, since they could not find the "story line" they wanted locally. Project car was transported to ATL area.

Some people will be surprised with the owner of the project car (former forum member) and others already know.

A running DeLorean was used for part of the show and this car was also not "local", but brought to the ATL area.

There are a few other teaser trailers out there that will tell most of the back story (some since March 30th).

Spoiler Alert: (identity of Project D owner revealed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB4BZyjiNmQ

(this preview was posted March 26th)

DMCVegas
05-05-2015, 06:32 PM

This does not endear me to watch your show.

If I wanted to watch retards run around and scream while trying to break things, I would have gotten a job in Special Education working with trainables.

It wasn't cool when Quentin Wilson did this same thing, and it's not cool for Chunk here, either.

Rich W
05-05-2015, 06:50 PM
There were a couple of "easier" D projects that were offered to cast and crew, but the stories were not "good enough" for TV.

A project similar to Project Vixen was offered (basically put all the parts back together), but that was not enough of a challenge.

Well, they got their "challenge" (and then some), they got their interesting back story, and they got an interesting character.

As for the "driver" DeLorean, they ended up having to "down-play" it (as stock) when it was actually a Stage II upgrade car.

Such is "Reality TV" and a car restoration show on the History Channel.

DMCVegas
05-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Such is "Reality TV" and a car restoration show on the History Channel.

Which therein lies the irony of a channel entitled "History" that produces content that is more fictitious than historical. But I digress.

If it turns out to be a decent, respectful episode, I'll give it a chance when it makes it's way online. But otherwise, no, it looks dull. Especially on a premise that's been done and done again.

Farrar
05-06-2015, 12:40 AM
This must be the show that called me last year. They said they were in the Atlanta area and had a History Channel show. They never said what the name of the show was. We talked for a long time (by modern telephone call standards) and I sent them photos of the car. They wanted to know how much work it would be to get my car on the road, and if I was willing to sell it. I wasn't willing to sell it, and I never heard back from them. I'll be interested to see what they ended up doing to the DeLorean they got.

Dangermouse
05-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Spoiler Alert: (identity of Project D owner revealed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB4BZyjiNmQ

(this preview was posted March 26th)

Aha,

took me a little research, but somehow I missed this thread last month when I was travelling:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11802-Delorean-on-New-quot-Car-quot-Show-on-History-Channel-quot-Lost-in-Transmission-quot&highlight=lost+transmission

sorry for the old news.

So Chad is now a TV star just like VB :shhh:

mr_maxime
05-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Coworkers told me about this yesterday

GS450-Junkie
05-06-2015, 09:42 AM
I'm sorry, but didn't he hate DeLoreans? Wasn't he selling them or putting them in storage for 40 years or something?

Shep
05-06-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry, but didn't he hate DeLoreans? Wasn't he selling them or putting them in storage for 40 years or something?If it's the Chad I'm thinking of, he "liked" DeLoreans, but loathed the BTTF connection so much that he sold his car over it. Guy was a complete and total douchebag drama queen, having the same old used and abused arguments time and time again. Frankly I'm glad he's gone, I honeatly can't remember anything useful he contributed, just flame wars and trolling.

Rich_NYS
05-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Chad is a good guy and has owned about 4 DeLoreans. I think he'll represent the community well on this show.

DMCVegas
05-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Chad is a good guy and has owned about 4 DeLoreans. I think he'll represent the community well on this show.

I'll second that. I've met him in person, and from my personal experience Chad's a nice guy. I know that there was a couple of offline things about him, but I can't speak to those things. He wasn't keen on the whole BTTF thing, which I understand, and unfortunately got picked on by people here because of that. At the time we had a problem with certain trolls that are now banned, and in the effort of trolling everyone else they took his side, but took things way too far overboard. And I say that because if not for the trolls, I really do think that everything could have been worked out. But it got pushed too far because of some people that just wanted to fuel the fire for their own amusement. Since the trolls were the only ones who actually sided with him, he fell in with that group and since wound up over to DMCToday.

He doesn't live too far from me, just a few miles up the highway where I've seen him driving before.

Farrar
05-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Chad gave me a transmission for a wedding present, and has offered me a free engine block to help get my car on the road. I don't know him terribly well and I haven't met him in person, but I have spoken with him over the phone once and he seemed like a nice guy. He even offered to help me rebuild my engine since I haven't done it before. Not something I would expect from a near-stranger. I understand he's had his troubles with some parts vendors, but I'm not asking about it and I hope it's all in the past. The DeLorean community is a small one; we need as many friends as we can get. :)

Rich W
05-06-2015, 02:00 PM
The DeLorean community is a small one; we need as many friends as we can get. :)

Agreed. Chad is a devoted DeLorean enthusiast, but certainly not a purist. Chad likes the DeLorean for what it is and was before BTTF and he dose not hate BTTF.
Although he has a bit of a thin skin when dealing with BTTF jokes, he enjoys the DeLorean car and it's history. He has always been a helpful DMC club member.

I do not think the primary reason Chad sold his other DeLorean was because of BTTF jokes, but rather, he was in a tough situation and needed to reduce debt.
Most of us have been there, at one time or another, and I think Chad made some tough decisions and now he is "back in the game". (this time with a carb)

When Chad started looking for a DeLorean project last year, I offered him a "Do It Yourself" project, where he could select parts from my numerous project cars,
and have a "base" to start a new project. Chad got a "better" offer with a whole car (former Sandy Hurricane "victim" car), so he decided to go that route.

I say "Good for Chad". Follow your dream, even if you have to start over small and refurbish a project DeLorean over several months or years. It's a good start.

Rich W
05-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Attaching a few 'Behind the Scenes' photos of the filming of the "Drive Around" location of the Stage II DeLorean,
one of Rut's Favorite Places in the whole world (or at least the whole Southern US) ... Goober's Gas and Grocery.

Shep
05-06-2015, 02:24 PM
If it's the Chad I'm thinking of, he "liked" DeLoreans, but loathed the BTTF connection so much that he sold his car over it. Guy was a complete and total douchebag drama queen, having the same old used and abused arguments time and time again. Frankly I'm glad he's gone, I honeatly can't remember anything useful he contributed, just flame wars and trolling.Oops, just fact-checked this one -- mixed up the name with someone else entirely. No wonder I didn't recognize the paintjob...

Aaaaand I'll show myself the exit now :drunk:

DMCVegas
05-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Although he has a bit of a thin skin when dealing with BTTF jokes, he enjoys the DeLorean car and it's history.

I'm not going to comment on Chad in a way where I paint an image of him, or something where he isn't here to speak out for himself. Especially not about his personal life which is absolutely none of my business or anyone else's. All I can speak to is myself, and things that I have personally seen and experienced.

One of those things is indeed unsolicited criticism. Back in 1998 or so, there was a DeLorean owner that created a GeoCities page about his car. It was a quick rundown of how he came across it on a used car lot, picked it up, and had fun with it. He also had a little write-up on what it was like owning a DeLorean, and he had one of the most prolific things I've ever read about DeLorean ownership. Something that when I've been asked about what it's like to own and drive one, I share with everyone:

You cannot be an introvert and own a DeLorean.

It's absolutely true. You WILL get attention just about everywhere you go. Of course it's the car, not you. That goes without saying. But one of the things that I was never prepared for was the negativity you encounter. Now I don't think that most people are purposefully cruel. I just think that they want to start up a conversation about the car, and in order to identify with the owner want to relate to them something they know about the car. Which as it's been said, the DeLorean is the car that everyone knows, but knows nothing about. So it's either a BTTF reference, a cocaine joke, or worst of all some piece of misinformation they've gotten along the way.

It's not easy to take a car that you love, and in turn put a lot of love, time, effort, and money into only to have some jackass make a demeaning comment about your car. It's not that it's just a car and we should shrug it off. It's that it's an attack on your work. And then things escalate from there when you try and correct someone and you end up defending yourself because in reality it's the other person who is insecure and can't stand to be corrected. I've heard cocaine jokes where told people that I didn't think it was funny, and then they'll attack me by telling me that I'm too young to know what they're talking about. The tons of misinformation about the marque, JZD, or the car itself from hidden drugs to helicopter engines. Try and correct that, especially by pointing out that they've never even sat in a DeLorean let alone driven one so they're obviously not any sort of authority, and they'll become hostile and try to keep up with the nasty comments as the only way that they can defend themselves. Not everyone is like this, no. Some people apologize when corrected and feel embarrassed, others ask genuine questions about the car, and I'm more than happy to talk to someone that wants to ask me a question. Or best of all, someone has a personal story to share with me about a past experience with a car. And it's great too when it leads to all other sorts of conversations. And I always start out every conversation friendly. How it ends is up to the person I'm talking to.

Now I too have been told I'm thin skinned. I'm not. Truth is that I just don't like stupid people, and worst of all ones that toss out back-handed comments or otherwise insult me. Why would, or better yet, why should I tolerate that? Most people don't see this since most DMC-12s are garage queens. But when you enlist one as a Daily Driver, you get this kind of negativity on a daily basis. And it's hard to put up with. And the one place that should have been a safe haven for Chad, the DeLorean community right here, was not. Hell, I would even say that we pretty much betrayed him. He was trying to sell a car on eBay, and got flooded with BTTF jokes. Yes, it seemed funny, but Chad asked to please stop it. As he said, this was a sale of property going on, and he didn't like people interfering with it because it was pretty much toying with his finances. And he was absolutely right. Then it just became a dog pile with the justification that he had "thin skin", so the problem was that he couldn't take a joke, not that we were all screwing with him and his money making him feel unwelcome so we could get a cheap chuckle. Oh, no. Which was not right at all.

Rich W
05-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Attaching a few 'Behind the Scenes' photos of the filming of the "Drive Around" location of the Stage II DeLorean,
one of Rut's Favorite Places in the whole world (or at least the whole Southern US) ... Goober's Gas and Grocery.

Just to clarify, this part of the filming was only one day (with an optional second day, if the weather did not cooperate).

There was only a light rain (drizzle) during most of the filming that day, so the second day of filming was not required.

As in most TV show filming, there is no guarantee what footage will be used or how the host/narrator will present the footage.

Do not expect this episode to dis-spell all, most, some, few or none of the DeLorean myths that have been out there for years.

It's a TV show, but let's hope they made it a good one.

Lou and "Boo"
05-06-2015, 09:59 PM
1. Chad's a great guy.
2. I personally found the Sandy flooded Delorean and set things up between Chad and the seller. I met Chad at that time and from that and my online and phone conversations with him I can verify my first statement.
3. DMC Today is not full of trolls by any means, just folks with a different outlook on Delorean ownership and no tolerance for unfair moderation.

Just my two pennies.

Nicholas R
05-06-2015, 11:12 PM
This looks awesome! Hopefully they helped make some major strides on the hurricane car he's been working on! Chad always seemed like a nice guy to me. The only time I remember meeting him was at DCS 2012 so I dont know him that well. I will say that he seems to be a pretty generous guy when it comes to both giving time and even parts to other owners. Maybe it's karma. I think it's awesome that he got this opportunity. :thumbup:

MSpieler
05-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Well that was interesting and pretty entertaining! Chad certainly seemed humbled and taken back by the end result, I probably would of had the same reaction. I hate to spoil anything for anyone, but I think I spotted a third manual chassis next to the shop during the episode. Am I the only one who spotted that? Well, like everyone seems to agree, reality shows are never really reality...

Hokie
05-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Fairly entertaining. I hate that reality TV never is, though. Funny thing, every time I see a DeLorean on TV I have to smile and I think, I want one! And I already have one! SMH. I'm beginning to understand folks that own more than one.

AirmanPika
05-08-2015, 01:59 AM
I'm just happy to see a DeLorean ep. Sure it is TV so its gonna be hyped up. As far as I recall though, Rutledge has always had an honest obsession with the DeLorean so I'm not shocked this is the first car in the series.

I understand exactly what they had to deal with though. My car has an 82's body panels from the doors back because of body damage I found after stripping the paint but I know "my" car is still sitting in a barn where I stashed the damaged panels...yes it is a perfect American Dad setup. Luckily I got to keep my frame (don't ask about how the front extension looks). Wonder which VIN was used in the end. The original...the parts car...or something else? Also...the bumpers seem a tad bright paint wise.

Oh and someone mentioned that you can't be an introvert and own a DeLorean...that is false. Tell me how I know ;)

Lou and "Boo"
05-08-2015, 09:08 AM
I am living proof that an introvert can own a Delorean ... and a Fiero.

Chris Burns
05-08-2015, 09:25 AM
http://www.history.com/shows/lost-in-transmission/videos/drowned-delorean

David T
05-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Is it just me or is it just hard to think they took those 2 POS and made the one car or was that just a ringer they brought in for the "finished" car? The finished car isn't all that nice either. The first one, the frame wasn't done in by the hurricane, frames don't rust that fast! Kind of a tip-off when a rear wheel is pointing sideways anyway. Also why is it when they have these "reality" shows, the first episode is a Delorean? At least it was mostly positive and it does get the car out there to the public. The real hero (if he really did manage to put the 2 together) was the mechanic, not the 2 knuckleheads. I doubt this show will be on for many episodes. But that is the point, they are cheap to produce even if they don't last. They will just create another "reality" show! The on-screen talent is cheap and they don't spend all that much on the cars. The big expense is the production costs.

Lou and "Boo"
05-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Submerge a Delorean in salt water for 8 hours and then let it sit two years without rinsing off the frame and I will rust that badly, rest assured. And I thought it was a front wheel that was sideways.

Rich_NYS
05-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Submerge a Delorean in salt water for 8 hours and then let it sit two years without rinsing off the frame and I will rust that badly, rest assured.

+1

David T
05-08-2015, 04:48 PM
+1

I agree salt water is very bad but if it was kept dry afterwards the rust would not have proceeded, at least not to that extent. The car must have been left in a wet/damp environment for a long time. Long after the hurricane. That car was a "gonner" even before the hurricane. The passenger door was jammed, the panels were painted and had body filler, the interior was trashed. Who knows what else, that's all they said about it.

DMCVegas
05-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Is it just me or is it just hard to think they took those 2 POS and made the one car or was that just a ringer they brought in for the "finished" car?

No, it's not hard at all. The plot to this show had more holes in it than that chassis.

My guess is that they probably already had the ringer ready to go, and then just took the doors, facias, and bonnet off to make it look like a parts car. Then what they did was set out to find someone with a derelict car that they could just exchange it with in order to "complete" the build.

Never minding the problem with using a DA sandar on SS that you'll need to regrain, as soon as they took that panel off they would have seen the damage from the other side. No need to remove paint to get down to it.
Yes, fenders can be that expensive, but they're also repairable. Even DMCH has stated in the past that while they have a supply of fenders, they will NOT just sell them. Only in very extreme cases where the body panel is beyond repair will they consider selling you one. Most of all, it's at a much, MUCH cheaper price to repair than replace that fender.
Again with the rarity and high prices of those peices, that fender is usually the very first thing to go on any parts car. Any time you see a DMC-12 in a junkyard, you'll easily see proof of that.

I honestly don't think they had any intention of doing any engine swaps, stripping the car, or let alone actually repairing a DeLorean. If we were to take that random $16K number that was tossed out, that would have been more than enough to purchase a rough runner, and throw some new seat covers and polish on it.

It wasn't too bad overall with the treatment of the car, I will say that. The secondary character I didn't like. It was his role as some sort of antagonist or something since reality TV shows always need some sort of drama in every single episode. That, along with the setups, it just grates on me. Especially the acting.

But most of all, they literally did nothing at all with the car. Nothing. What was the point?

AirmanPika
05-08-2015, 06:01 PM
But most of all, they literally did nothing at all with the car. Nothing. What was the point?

Ratings? People will watch DeLoreans. Not sure why people are bothered or surprised by this ep. I still enjoyed it knowing full well nothing would be as it seems. I'd be happy if they'd dedicate an entire ep to how much of a deathtrap our cars are frankly. You could do an entire season of a reality show with our cars without making a single thing up.

DMCVegas
05-08-2015, 06:57 PM
When I ask what the point is, I don't just mean about ratings. And here is exactly what I'm talking about:

Wheeler Dealers did the absolute best car show episode about the DeLorean that I've ever seen. Why? Because they have one of the best car shows ever. I would rank them equally with Stacey David. Both shows are fun, and the hosts are encouraging and relatable, as are the overwhelming majority of their projects. That's important to me. I, like many other people, have plenty of problems to deal with in life. I'm good on drama, tension, and stress in my life. I don't need anymore, and I especially don't need a TV show to act as an empathy box from a Phillip K. Dick novel so that I can feel the artificial pain of others. I have quite enough, thank you.

Nothing mechanical at all was done in this show. The only things done were the removal of some body panels, incompetent removal of paint, and then just phoning the whole thing in with abandoning the project and bringing in another car. The nicest thing that I can say about this show was that they didn't disparage the car as much as others have done in the past. But compare it to other shows. Watching Ed China dropping a transaxle to replace a front main seal, doing fiberglass work on a louver to repair it, and re-skinning seats? THAT was entertaining. Sure, car shows will have helpers, and a good amount of work occurs off-camers. But at least some work actually happens. And even then, it's done in a positive, calm manner. Something go wrong? Ok, let's discuss what happened and what our strategy to overcome it is. No fake deadlines, no jerks throwing tools around a shop, no fights, nothing like that.

This show? I can't lie, I'm not entertained. Others may love it, and that's fine. I can't possibly understand WHY aside from the fact that there's a DeLorean on TV that people aren't making fun of. Shows like this are exactly why I got rid of cable, and when you speak to lots of other cord-cutters, it's the same for them too.

David T
05-08-2015, 09:40 PM
No, it's not hard at all. The plot to this show had more holes in it than that chassis.

My guess is that they probably already had the ringer ready to go, and then just took the doors, facias, and bonnet off to make it look like a parts car. Then what they did was set out to find someone with a derelict car that they could just exchange it with in order to "complete" the build.

Never minding the problem with using a DA sandar on SS that you'll need to regrain, as soon as they took that panel off they would have seen the damage from the other side. No need to remove paint to get down to it.
Yes, fenders can be that expensive, but they're also repairable. Even DMCH has stated in the past that while they have a supply of fenders, they will NOT just sell them. Only in very extreme cases where the body panel is beyond repair will they consider selling you one. Most of all, it's at a much, MUCH cheaper price to repair than replace that fender.
Again with the rarity and high prices of those peices, that fender is usually the very first thing to go on any parts car. Any time you see a DMC-12 in a junkyard, you'll easily see proof of that.

I honestly don't think they had any intention of doing any engine swaps, stripping the car, or let alone actually repairing a DeLorean. If we were to take that random $16K number that was tossed out, that would have been more than enough to purchase a rough runner, and throw some new seat covers and polish on it.

It wasn't too bad overall with the treatment of the car, I will say that. The secondary character I didn't like. It was his role as some sort of antagonist or something since reality TV shows always need some sort of drama in every single episode. That, along with the setups, it just grates on me. Especially the acting.

You may be right, the parts car may have been the ringer. Anyway, if anyone watches these kinds of shows in the hope of "learning" what to do with their old car they will be sadly misinformed. It's all about entertainment and ratings, not education. I have seen some of the cars after they have been used in such shows. They are not shining examples of anything. They are just props to be disposed of.

mr_maxime
05-08-2015, 10:37 PM
I was disappointed too. I mean I got excited every time I saw the delorean thinking "thats such a cool car." owning one hasnt fully sunk in, since Ive driven mine for less than a week. Otherwise though, I was disappointed in how little work they did on the car itself. Nothing on how they out the 2 cars together, or certain quirks about the delorean build. They mention the stainless steel and fiberglass, which makes sense to delorean owners, but the majority of people seem to think its 100% stainless weighing around 5000 lbs. The secondary guy was awful, arrogantly talking down the delorean just repeating the same crap clueless people say about the car. He said delorean owners love it with the stock engine... Im rather new here, but it looks like thats one of the top things people want to change here. I dont think the 350 would have been a good choice though

Farrar
05-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Call me crazy, but I was expecting to see some, I dunno, like ... work ... being done on the car. You know, like repairing it, in some fashion. But it looks like the show is more about the host than the vehicles.

At least Chad's O.T.T. schmacting was fantastic. I laughed out loud at the end.

I definitely won't watch any other episodes, though.

DMCVegas
05-09-2015, 02:27 AM
At least Chad's O.T.T. schmacting was fantastic. I laughed out loud at the end.

Oh god, yes! I did honestly laugh my ass off at that! I was watching Chad's face and the host's reactions to him. They're trying to make like Chad was so emotionally moved that he was overwhelmed... And I was just laughing and thinking to myself, "Idiots! Chad's making fun of you!"

For anyone wondering, here's an article with some great insight into what goes on behind the scenes in shows like this. Give it a read, especially the portion about how owners are coached by the production on how they're supposed to act when the car is revealed to them. Then re-watch the big reveal here knowing what people are told and you'll see just how funny Chad's response is...

Behind the scenes of "Pimp my Ride." (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/25/pimp-my-ride-cars_n_6663840.html)

DMC-81
05-09-2015, 08:47 AM
I was also disappointed for the same reasons. Whenever a new car show is announced, I record one episode to evaluate it. I can't stand "reality"shows with all the excessive drama, etc. I want to learn something in exchange for my time, otherwise I would rather spend it working on my car.

The show's premise is sound, and I find Rutledge to be an honest and likeable guy, but they need to focus on the target car and the work done to it to make me record another episode. I like Wheeler Dealers, and Chasing Classic Cars for their minimal drama and the educational value.

I get that any new show needs to compete hard for a share of the viewership pie. The top show in the 70s was Happy Days and it got 31% of the viewers, in the 80s it was The Cosby Show with 25%, now top rated Big Bang Theory only gets 6%. However, to me, if a show follows the same tired formula, it just blends into the background of the IQ dropping reality landscape.

Farrar
05-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Reminds me of something David Attenborough said once. He said he sees no reason why entertainment can't also be educational, and vice versa. Maybe people who do car shows should take that advice. Of course, that's up to the production staff. The host may have a lot of knowledge to share, but if the producers think s/he is getting too deep and "average" viewers would turn off because of that, then you're only going to get some basic knowledge, and then cut to the next scene.

I have to say one thing: I am glad they didn't try to install the GM 350 engine. I doubt the stock radiator would have been able to handle it.

David T
05-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Oh god, yes! I did honestly laugh my ass off at that! I was watching Chad's face and the host's reactions to him. They're trying to make like Chad was so emotionally moved that he was overwhelmed... And I was just laughing and thinking to myself, "Idiots! Chad's making fun of you!"

For anyone wondering, here's an article with some great insight into what goes on behind the scenes in shows like this. Give it a read, especially the portion about how owners are coached by the production on how they're supposed to act when the car is revealed to them. Then re-watch the big reveal here knowing what people are told and you'll see just how funny Chad's response is...

Behind the scenes of "Pimp my Ride." (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/25/pimp-my-ride-cars_n_6663840.html)

It really isn't fair to say every show does business exactly the way Pimp my ride did but you wouldn't be far off the mark either. You have to remember the car is a necessary if incidental part. The ticking clock, the drama, the entertainment is what it is all about. As for the coaching, when you are dealing with people that have no acting experience (and even ones that do) there is a place for it but I agree much of it is scripted and more than just "coached". Enjoy the show for what it is, not much.

Timebender
05-09-2015, 01:31 PM
I have to say one thing: I am glad they didn't try to install the GM 350 engine. I doubt the stock radiator would have been able to handle it.

I have a C350 in mine and yes, it has a huge radiator, but I love the sound and power from it. One thing I would change is the air cleaner as it almost touches the louvers, either put in a smaller air cleaner or switch out to an EFI throttle body.

Farrar
05-09-2015, 06:56 PM
I have a C350 in mine and yes, it has a huge radiator, but I love the sound and power from it.

Yeah, but they didn't buy a radiator ... that made me nervous. LOL

Of course, they ended up not buying that engine, anyway. Seemed like a pointless thing to leave in the show, but maybe he wanted to give his junkyard buddy some publicity.

refugeefromcalif
05-09-2015, 07:45 PM
I've clicked on the History Channel link. I get it but, I can't watch the episode.
I've tried All my browsers and the episode won't play....

George

Chris Burns
05-10-2015, 10:47 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hcYLGKt51YI

ccurzio
05-10-2015, 10:56 AM
This is me not being shocked at all by the fedora.

Chris Burns
05-18-2015, 10:24 PM
http://www.kenwoodrodshop.com/index.php/lost-transmission/1981-delorean-hurrican-car/

DMCVegas
05-19-2015, 03:46 AM
http://www.kenwoodrodshop.com/index.php/lost-transmission/1981-delorean-hurrican-car/

Still looks like a ringer to me that was partially disassembled for effect. Compare the amount of dirt around areas such as the front tub, and then look at the interior. Also, take a look at things like the engine cover hinges with the rusted metal where it's been exposed, and the shiny new threads where it would have been covered by nuts.

Farrar
05-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Has no one mentioned the fact that neither the original car nor the "parts car" had a flapped hood and the car they delivered did?

Project Vixen
05-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Has no one mentioned the fact that neither the original car nor the "parts car" had a flapped hood and the car they delivered did?

Verified -- you are correct. It looks like they took the doors and hood off of a ringer just for the show.

Brodizzle83
05-15-2020, 08:45 AM
Hey all, don't mean to bump this old-ass thread, but I now own this car (at least the VIN that the "purple" car had that went through hurricane Sandy). I indeed bought it from Chad Krause this last January. He said the car has about 4 or 5 DeLoreans worth of parts on it. I believe only a few things from that particular car survived to be resurrected on this car, including the wheels and a few odds and ends. The car originally had a black interior, but he happened to have a decent grey interior laying around so that's what was installed. I just went through the entire cooling system on it (the water pump was horribly rusted and corroded) and finally am able to drive the car around town. It's got a terrible shake at 45+ mph. Hopefully getting all-new tires installed today.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk