PDA

View Full Version : Twin Turbo Up for Auction?

MSpieler
05-15-2015, 03:31 PM
Not 100% sure if this is the best place to post this, but I spotted this ad through Hemmings.

Link:1983 DE LOREAN DMC 12 TWIN TURBO TWO-DOOR COUPÉ VIN. SCEDT26T7DD015315 (http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22717/lot/202/)

I couldn't find the vin in the database or any other images online. However, I did find some other posts that state it has been sold at this same auction in 2010. I know might be completely out of the loop or unaware of this car, but I figured it would be fun to check out if you're in the northeast!

David T
05-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Not 100% sure if this is the best place to post this, but I spotted this ad through Hemmings.

Link:1983 DE LOREAN DMC 12 TWIN TURBO TWO-DOOR COUPÉ VIN. SCEDT26T7DD015315 (http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22717/lot/202/)

I couldn't find the vin in the database or any other images online. However, I did find some other posts that state it has been sold at this same auction in 2010. I know might be completely out of the loop or unaware of this car, but I figured it would be fun to check out if you're in the northeast!

I will be at the Greenwich Concours this year and will "check it out". It is in 2 weeks.

DMCVegas
05-15-2015, 04:34 PM
It doesn't say what kind of twin turbo system it has, nor does it even have any pictures. My guess is that unless proven otherwise, it's just an Island Twin Turbo kit.

I do have to say however that this is one of the poorest photo shoots I've ever seen. Velcro still stuck to the binnacle for a long-removed aftermarket gauge or gadget, dirty center console with grime rubbed in, paper towel bits all over the steering column, ripped shifter boot, and A/C ducting just hanging down in the passenger side footwell.

Wear and tear is one thing. But failing to properly detail a car you're putting up for sale speaks volumes about the lack of car given to it.

David T
05-15-2015, 08:55 PM
It doesn't say what kind of twin turbo system it has, nor does it even have any pictures. My guess is that unless proven otherwise, it's just an Island Twin Turbo kit.

I do have to say however that this is one of the poorest photo shoots I've ever seen. Velcro still stuck to the binnacle for a long-removed aftermarket gauge or gadget, dirty center console with grime rubbed in, paper towel bits all over the steering column, ripped shifter boot, and A/C ducting just hanging down in the passenger side footwell.

Wear and tear is one thing. But failing to properly detail a car you're putting up for sale speaks volumes about the lack of car given to it.

It is not uncommon for a seller to get tired of a car to the point where they won't even clean it up so it presents better. The mindset is to get rid of it and not spend a nickle on it. Usually not the best way to get the top price. The good news is that kind of stuff lowers the price and isn't all that expensive to fix. That auction is full of expensive and exotic cars, they end to go for high $$$, the people that go to it are "high rollers". One year they had an XKE Jag that was in terrible shape and it went for a lot of money.

David T
05-31-2015, 09:33 PM
I was at the Greenwich Concours today and watched the Delorean getting sold. It went for $20,000 plus the $40 entrance fee plus the 10% buyers fee plus whatever it cost to have it transported out of the auction. I didn't get close enough to inspect it (I wasn't going pay $40!) but it looked OK. I did notice the power antennae was stuck up. It had the Island Turbo with a boost gauge in the "A" pillar, and catalytic convertors. Outwardly it seemed taken care of but no one saw it running or drove it. The winner bought it on the phone I was told. There was a Delorean in the show too (not mine) and it did win an award, a nice '81.

MSpieler
06-01-2015, 01:22 PM
...I didn't get close enough to inspect it (I wasn't going pay $40!) but it looked OK.

I got to be that guy who spent the $40 to get close to it (not the best investment in hindsight), but here are some photos I took of the car.

Thanks again Dave for chatting yesterday, hope you didn't get stuck in the rain!

David T
06-01-2015, 01:56 PM
I got to be that guy who spent the $40 to get close to it (not the best investment in hindsight), but here are some photos I took of the car.

Thanks again Dave for chatting yesterday, hope you didn't get stuck in the rain!

WE left just before it started raining again. We hit a wall of water on the TZ bridge and could not see where we were going! The water was running like a river in the right lane. We got off and all of the local streets were flooded. Over 2.75 inches in about 30 minutes! Made it home and am still getting water and leaves and sticks out of the car. It is going to take a while to get it cleaned up. From your pictures it looks like a pretty well taken care of car but without a proper inspection it is hard to justify paying over $22,000 for it.

clenet
06-02-2015, 07:40 PM

I am glad to see you went to the auction and saw the car up close. Have you found any others? Has Tabor ever gotten back to you?

MSpieler
06-02-2015, 10:45 PM
WE left just before it started raining again. We hit a wall of water on the TZ bridge and could not see where we were going! The water was running like a river in the right lane. We got off and all of the local streets were flooded. Over 2.75 inches in about 30 minutes! Made it home and am still getting water and leaves and sticks out of the car. It is going to take a while to get it cleaned up. From your pictures it looks like a pretty well taken care of car but without a proper inspection it is hard to justify paying over $22,000 for it.

Wow, glad you and the Lotus got back safely! I could think of worst cars to be stuck in the rain with, like one of the many expensive convertibles at the show :p

I am glad to see you went to the auction and saw the car up close. Have you found any others? Has Tabor ever gotten back to you?

Yeah it was nice to see, but you had to bring $20K+ in a bank note just to get a paddle to bid. I haven't really found much else lately, but I wont give up! Tabor has gone dark on me, I have a feeling he still is holding out for someone who would be willing to pay his asking price. Other then that, I'm just looking forward to the Elm Bank show in 19 days! We should connect up before the event