PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Fuse #2 - LH Lights

ifelder
05-22-2015, 04:35 PM
Noticed my LH running lights were out when I parked last night. Fuse #2 was blown.

Swapped a fuse this afternoon and switched my lights on. Immediately blew the replacement.

I'm assuming I have a short somewhere along this circuit. Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like is a Red/Blue wire (RB?) to the rear of the car where it is spliced out to the LH Tail light, Plate light, and rear side marker.

Does anybody have an idea of the routing of this first routing from the circuit breaker to the tail light assembly? Where should I be looking first for a short in this circuit...

Thanks,

Ian

Bitsyncmaster
05-22-2015, 04:44 PM
It common that a screw or bracket in the center console will punch a wire. I had that problem with the passenger side running lights.

ifelder
05-22-2015, 05:32 PM
It common that a screw or bracket in the center console will punch a wire. I had that problem with the passenger side running lights.

Does that run go forward from the fuse box before heading to the rear?

Bitsyncmaster
05-22-2015, 06:30 PM
Does that run go forward from the fuse box before heading to the rear?

Don't know how the harness is made (wish we had a wire list). I would guess the light power has to originate at the light switch. So the fuse would drive the switch and then the lights are wired from the switch. It could be any of the bulb circuits also, not just the fuse wire.

DMC5180
05-22-2015, 10:25 PM
To help isolate possibilities, disconnect the rear lighting harness at the bulkhead connector. Then replace the fuse and switch the lights on again. If it still pops you know your issue is console forward. If it does not pop you know it's in the aft harness or lighting fixtures.

Ron
05-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Red/Blue wire (RB?) Red/Black

ifelder
05-26-2015, 08:58 PM
To help isolate possibilities, disconnect the rear lighting harness at the bulkhead connector. Then replace the fuse and switch the lights on again. If it still pops you know your issue is console forward. If it does not pop you know it's in the aft harness or lighting fixtures.

This did the trick... or at least helped isolate the issue. With the bulkhead connector unplugged the fuse did not blow again. I removed the circuit board and cleaned it, there seemed to be some corrosion buildup but nothing that shouted short.. Upon replacement, the fuse did not blow.

We will see if the problem returns...

Ian

DMC5180
05-26-2015, 09:01 PM
👍🏻. Hopefully that's all it needed.

ifelder
06-01-2015, 01:33 PM
. Hopefully that's all it needed.

Fuse blew again..

Just in time for my package of LED's to arrive. Removed all the lights from the rear end, gave the circuit boards another cleaning.

Found the ground wire from the left license plate light was disconnected and bouncing around. I think this was the cause of my short.

DMC5180
06-01-2015, 01:38 PM
We're there arc witness marks on the wire terminal that would indicate it had been shorting out?

ifelder
06-01-2015, 02:07 PM
We're there arc witness marks on the wire terminal that would indicate it had been shorting out?

No but as I removed the housing I heard the fuse pop and the left side lights went out... Also matches up with the time I wiggled the wiring harness from the LH tail light and the fuse popped, because the LP wiring comes off that main harness.

DMC5180
06-01-2015, 02:16 PM
That can also happen if the wires chafe the edge of the rectangular nut/mounting plate.

Jonathan
06-02-2015, 08:15 AM
I had my RH taillight off yesterday working on the license plate lights. I can confirm the license plate light wiring and that of the RH rear marker light comes from that rear RH corner inside the fascia and then routes forward to (presumably) the bulkhead. I would assume there is one additional extension on that portion of harness that goes to the LH marker light as well, but I didn't go in the LH side this time around so I can't say for certain.

+1 on the edges of those license plate light retaining brackets potentially cutting into the wire insulation. The edges are sharp and more so if they are rusty or otherwise in poor shape.