PDA

View Full Version : Historic Rain and Flooding in Houston area, Memorial Day Weekend 2015

Rich W
05-26-2015, 03:07 AM
Just turned on Weather Channel after Memorial Day holiday weekend
and I saw I-10 had 6 feet of water over the interstate.

As of 2am, there was over 8" of rain in last 12 hours.
(reminded me of Tropicsl Storm Allison in 2003)

Stay Safe.

SS Spoiler
05-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Is the warehouse safe?

DMCVegas
05-26-2015, 04:01 PM
They're probably fine. I'm on the Northwest side down the beltway from them, and everything has been just fine up here.

The flooding is pretty much happening mostly down on the southwest side & outside of Downtown. Almost 11" fell down there at a rate of about 2"-3" an hour.

Over 1,000 abandoned vehicles, so that's going to be fun on the used car market out of state...

Citizen
05-26-2015, 07:26 PM
I am on the South side, just out of the city limits of Houston, and looks like we made it ok. The rain came heavily and quickly. Lots of localized flooding, but my subdivision was ok. I actually made it in to Houston for work ok after waiting several hours for the water recede. I think the deaths and most of the cars that got flooded were actually in freeway underpasses, near the bayous, and in areas of poor drainage and such.

They say we may get more rain tonight, albeit scattered.

Thomas

Rich W
05-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Stay Safe.

Another round of heavy rain this morning.

OverlandMan
05-29-2015, 09:01 AM
We got 7" of rain in Dallas overnight/this morning. I woke up several times last night due to the heavy rain and thunder. On my way into work this morning there were numerous roads blocked with fire engines and anything resembling a creek earlier now looks like a lake. I heard they were doing a swift water rescue a few miles from my house.

The sad thing is in a month or so we'll be dry as a bone again. At least the area lakes are full though. They haven't been for several years due to the previous drought.

Forecasts show we should start to dry out for several days beginning on Sunday/Monday. Fingers-crossed.

Citizen
05-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Looks like Houston is poised for another rainy weekend, must be what Dallas had this morning. Then, H-town slowly drys out starting Monday. No local DeLorean events going on this weekend that I know of. And, no yard work for me either!