PDA

View Full Version : What Riding Mower do you own?

refugeefromcalif
06-07-2015, 06:28 PM
I'm in the market for a new garden tractor, and after doing a bit of research I'm leaning towards the Raven MPV 1700 (http://www.ravenamerica.com/product/7100-2).
It's a 3-in-1 hybrid, (mower, ATV, and generator). I saw one today at my local Lowes and it looked like something promising for what I need. (And the reviews I've read about the New/Latest model).

My property is 2¼ acres of hills and valleys. I've been on this property over 24 years and I've had many mowers, (All being hydrostatic drive), and like what reviews I've read about the latest version of this Raven.
My last 2 garden tractors have been high end Craftsman and I won't go there with the quality and longevity of them... :thumbdown:

What riding mowers are you guys using? How well have they lasted?

George

Jimmyvonviggle
06-07-2015, 06:44 PM
I also had a craftsman, and I always got annoyed at how flimsy the steering Rod was. Every time I hit something minor with my front tire, it would bend the rod and my steering got all screwed up. I always wanted to get something that was built with stronger components, with a more comfortable chair.

Bitsyncmaster
06-07-2015, 06:47 PM
My old Yard Man is still running but the thing is rusting to pieces. Yard Man is MTD and it was a mid price garden tractor. Hydrostatic drive and a twin cylinder 19 HP. I don't expect it last much longer.

What makes a good tractor mower is four wheels on the deck that can swivel. But only real high price mowers have that. Don't think I want a zero turn because it looks like more work.

SS Spoiler
06-07-2015, 10:19 PM
My son bought a "bad boy" zero turn mower. He can do his lawn
in twenty minutes instead of ninety. Very heavy duty, 3/8th thick
steel and easy to use.

davidc89
06-07-2015, 11:15 PM
I mow quite a bit of grass. Probably close to what you have. I have an 18hp Kubota diesel mowers with a 60" cut. Easy on fuel and it will mow anything you throw at it. I think its a 97? It has about 1100 hours and still runs strong.

DMC5180
06-07-2015, 11:20 PM
I've had a Dixon 6025 commercial hydrostatic zero turn for the past 15 years. (60" deck 25 hp Kohler) In that time every manufacture has moved into the zero turn market. Unlike most zero turn mowers that have mid-mount decks, my mower has a front mount deck. Blade maintenance is very easy. My deck pivots up 90 degrees. Should I ever be in the market again, I will seriously consider a FERRIS commercial zero turn. The ferris has a fully sprung independent suspension. The ride is way softer when mowing over uneven terrain. I had the chance to demo 2 different Dixon's and a Ferris. Ultimately, the Dixon won on price and ease of blade maintenance, but the ride is harsh compared to the Ferris IS.

bfloyd
06-08-2015, 12:52 AM
My wife and I own a drive-in theatre here in middle Tennessee, and back in 2006 we bought a 50" Cub Cadet Zero turn mower with a 23hp Kawasaki engine to use at the theatre. It was only $2999, and you truly do get what you pay for. If we would have used that mower exclusively at home on our 1 3/4 acre neighborhood yard, that mower would likely last until my 8 year old was out of college. Since we used it at the theatre, it got beat all to hell and back. I'm currently on my 4th complete mowing deck. We typically replaced one or two spindles a year, and the front tires barely lasted one mowing season. It's not a commercial mower, even though we tried to use it that way.

We've since hired out the mowing at the theatre, since I just don't want to fool with it anymore, and I'd rather spend time with the family than mowing all day long on Saturdays. The mowing crew we hired uses Exmark mowers, and they can knock the whole place out in about 2-3 hours. I'll gladly pay someone $150 to mow and weed-eat 12 acres!

Since we brought our Cub Cadet home, it really doesn't give us any more trouble. We've never had a problem with the engine or the hydro-static transmissions since we've owned it.

Iznodmad
06-08-2015, 01:26 PM
I bought a Big Dog zero turn mower about 3 seasons ago. Extremely well made with the Kawasaki engine and welded/fabricated deck. Once you go zero turn, you will never go back to a garden tractor again!

Bitsyncmaster
06-08-2015, 03:07 PM
I bought a Big Dog zero turn mower about 3 seasons ago. Extremely well made with the Kawasaki engine and welded/fabricated deck. Once you go zero turn, you will never go back to a garden tractor again!

But how do you hold your beer?:hmm:

Lenny
06-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Zero Turning 46" Lawn Boy
The Zero Turning really speeds up the mowing. It cut 30 minutes off the time to mow the yard.

Iznodmad
06-08-2015, 03:28 PM
It has a cup holder!!!!

Bitsyncmaster
06-08-2015, 04:47 PM
It has a cup holder!!!!

You must use a long straw since both hands are needed to steer.

DMC5180
06-08-2015, 05:03 PM
I choose not to drink and drive. Besides the cup holder on a lawn mower is worthless for carbonated liquids. The go flat really quick.

Iznodmad
06-08-2015, 07:56 PM
I've managed to perfect one handed operation on straight lines for the occasional sip. But Dennis is right, I usually don't drink and drive. Now what we really need to talk about is why anyone would drink beer with a straw...or am I missing something there?

davidc89
06-08-2015, 11:53 PM
Now what we really need to talk about is why anyone would drink beer with a straw...or am I missing something there?

Why not?