PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hi Temp Thermostat

jfirios
08-13-2011, 08:59 PM
I am redoing basically everything in my engine and would love since the cooling system is appart, to put in a hi performance thermostat instead of the stock one. Does anyone know what kinds fit in our engine?

TTait
08-13-2011, 09:28 PM
You might consider buying Tobys adjustable fan switch instead...

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K4002DP&Category_Code=9475

jfirios
08-13-2011, 10:18 PM
think i should get a new thermostat as well, since I am replacing all the old parts in the engine.

sdg3205
08-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure there is such a thing as a high performance thermostat for our cars. You can buy ones with different temperature ranges, but that's about it.

DMC5180
08-13-2011, 10:47 PM
to put in a hi performance thermostat instead of the stock one. Does anyone know what kinds fit in our engine?

+1

Define Hi performance thermostat please?

The original was 180℉ the old standard. However, the recommended one nowadays is in the 192-195℉ range. Engines are more efficient at higher temps. Nearly all cars now run the higher temps.

jfirios
08-13-2011, 11:06 PM
right, but what kind fits our cars?

sdg3205
08-13-2011, 11:24 PM
It's just a Volvo B280 (I think) thermostat, available almost anywhere!

Farrar
08-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Tell the clerk you need a thermostat for a 1985 Volvo 760 GLE 6-cylinder and pick the opening temperature you want.

Farrar

sdg3205
08-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Tell the clerk you need a thermostat for a 1985 Volvo 760 GLE 6-cylinder and pick the opening temperature you want.

Farrar

What Farrar said.

jfirios
08-13-2011, 11:30 PM
coooooooolllllll. Might as well have as many new parts installed while the car is apart right.

sean
08-13-2011, 11:33 PM
coooooooolllllll. Might as well have as many new parts installed while the car is apart right.

That can get expensive. Where are you located? Glad you made it over here from Help.

jfirios
08-13-2011, 11:45 PM
oh it is expensive for everything i am doing to my Baby. But i want this to be my almost daily driver. Just on the car itself, suspension, breaks kit, hoses, tune up kit, relay kit, stage 1 exahust, and a bit more. Then I am starting on the interior, getting sponsored by some sound systems and doing all custom stereo installs with led lighting and more. So yeah going to be a good project and soon to be show car.

I am in LA and went to dmchelp when the old site went down. Glad this is back up. more people and info on here.

TTait
08-14-2011, 01:48 AM
Note that the gasket for the new thermostat is a thick rubber ring with a slit on the inside all the way around. The thermostat lip goes inside this ring.

Its just me, but in Los Angeles, I prefer the 180 degree thermostat. This isn't the worlds most efficient cooling system, and it can get hot here. I've replaced 100% of the cooling system, and the car can still start running hot on some days.

Tom

jfirios
08-14-2011, 04:34 PM
i would agree with the lower temp thermostat. I would rather have it open at the 180 degree mark and keep the engine cool. if the origional operating temp was 180 before it opened then I should keep it that way, would though like a better one than the NOS part that you can get from delorean. Yeah it is new but still almost 30 year old tech.

Ron
08-14-2011, 04:55 PM
There seems to be several misconceptions in this thread...

-A Thermostat's job is not to cool the engine (thats the radiators job), its main job is to constrict water flow so that the engine will warm up quickly by restricting flow through the radiator (then go to regulate mode). This improves driveability, fuel and lubrication performance, oil contamination, etc. Most older engines, thru 1980, used a ~180F thermostat. (Although rare, removal of the Thermostat on some engines WILL cause one head to overheat.)

-For most vehicles after 1980, a 180F degree thermostat is not the way to go. Most ECUs will not go into closed loop operation (real time management of engine controls) unless the engine is at least 190-195F. Similar for thermal vacuum switches which control devices that regulate fuel, timing, EGR, etc.
A DeLorean Thermostat should open at 185-192F, fully by 212F (per workshop manual A:01:01). I prefer one in the upper range....IMHO the engine management system will get into closed loop and stay there sooner and anything else, like running cooler (which will only happen for a few cycles), etc. is insignificant.

-Some Thermostats are made of better materials, have a bleeder, better valve design (...I guess one could call these "High Performance" ).

-Some Thermostats are sold as "fail safe" (really no such thing as they basically lock open when forced to a full open stroke, but they can stick shut like the rest...).

Hope this helps...

Bitsyncmaster
08-14-2011, 07:32 PM
If you only do long drives you may be OK with the 180 but many short drives and your oil can get milky from condenstion building up in the oil.

jfirios
08-14-2011, 08:59 PM
I know the thermostat is just to regulate the water flow into the radiator. But I again was thinking of just having a better constructed one instead of the NOS one.

Ron
08-14-2011, 09:41 PM
If you only do long drives you may be OK with the 180...
With a target temp of 188.5F, I would expect it to cycle in and out of closed loop at best on a cold day, especially since the engine heat is in the rear...:dunno:

David T
08-14-2011, 11:49 PM
The thermostat is a pretty reliable piece of hardware and the ones the vendors sell is probably the best you can get. Changing the operating temperature is a NO-NO. All of the running clearances and temperature switches are set up for the speced temperature. Running hotter or colder will NOT make the car run better. Hotter is more efficient but you cannot do that by just changing the thermostat.
David Teitelbaum