PDA

View Full Version : Gas Monkey Delorean

Chris Burns
06-09-2015, 10:49 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291488192068

Jimmyvonviggle
06-09-2015, 11:15 PM
I'm surprised they didn't make it over on their show, you know give it some gas monkey attitude.

You know the drill, Aaron would complain of not enough horsepower so they would drop something big in it, slam it to the ground and then do burnouts.

mr_maxime
06-09-2015, 11:19 PM
That's the most detail I've seen put into a delorean ad. Pretty disappointed though cause I was hoping it would have been a custom restoration done by them.

Mark D
06-10-2015, 12:15 AM
Judging from the door alignment it looks like the windshield was replaced without the proper support and the roof is now sagging in the front. Otherwise the frame looks pretty good. This would be a good project car if anyone is looking.

Jonathan
06-10-2015, 07:17 AM
+1 on a really good write-up for the car.

They mentioned "surface rust on most components" and that looks to be accurate from the pics. A good project car, yes, but one with some pain and agony fighting those rusty fittings I'd imagine.

Anyone see how bent/melted the engine bay light looked? You think that was the incandescent bulb in the fixture itself that did that or do you think the engine got so hot one day it melted that?

Also see the oil filler cap is off to the side and wondered how many things might have fallen down into the engine over the years.

Dangermouse
06-10-2015, 08:39 AM
I wonder if this is the first sign that things are peaking in terms of the car's exposure this year?

For the past 12 months, it seems like anyone with a car resto show was doing a DeLorean, which is probably why GasMonkey were interested in the first place. And then, they realize that it is surprisingly hard to do something different to it, that hasn't been done, so they are just off-loading it?

papanoel
06-11-2015, 03:13 PM
rawlings has said he doesn't like deloreans. not a fan of bricklins either.

Its a good and honest ebay ad and they know they want anything to do with the car so good on them for just selling it to someone who may try to restore it.

Rich W
06-11-2015, 03:35 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291488192068

NLA - did someone catch the "highest price offered" before it went to No Longer Available.

I saw it at $7500 at some point yesterday. It's back at starting bid of $500 (by default).

Timebender
06-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Oh that's who that guy is. I see him on all the Dodge commercials, sometimes with a monkey and think, "Is that guy supposed to be famous or something?" And I guess he is to some tiny degree.

Galt
06-12-2015, 12:50 AM
The reason they probably bailed is because there's nothing left there to to do anything with. IDK what you even do with that. Maybe pull the wheels? A couple of panels? Torsion bars? Then give it to Tank'd and let them fill it with fish?

That's depressing.

Galt
06-12-2015, 12:51 AM
I wonder if this is the first sign that things are peaking in terms of the car's exposure this year?

No, this is a sign that there are cars so far gone even a professional can't bring it back from the dead.

PJK
06-12-2015, 09:19 AM
No, this is a sign that there are cars so far gone even a professional can't bring it back from the dead.

...or it is a sign that a professional can't restore a car and make any money doing it.

Dangermouse
06-12-2015, 10:07 AM

It's rough, but I wouldn't say it's that bad. We've seen a hell of a lot worse sold recently. Biggest issue would appear to be getting the roof box fixed.

Galt
06-12-2015, 01:57 PM
It's rough, but I wouldn't say it's that bad. We've seen a hell of a lot worse sold recently. Biggest issue would appear to be getting the roof box fixed.

…and doing the entire interior, the entire engine and engine compartment, the entire fuel system, the hydraulic clutch stem to stern, the AC system, dealing with the rusted frame, 3/4 of the body panels, the tires, headliner, that front bumper is gone, the engine cover is trashed, the brakes have to be bad too, right? - and while I haven't pushed on the fender personally I'm gonna guess based on the rusted springs the suspension is cooked.

That's probably 30K-40K+ worth of parts, shipping and outsourced labor alone (stripping/powder coating etc) depending on how lucky you get - plus the year or more of labor involved. You'd probably have a 60-70K car by the time you were done fighting that mess.

That said - if Gas Monkey could underwrite that resto as a production cost and get Velocity to eat it they may be just about the only garage capable of justifying that job. Otherwise they should do the honorable thing and dig a hole and bury it.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-12-2015, 06:00 PM
…and doing the entire interior, the entire engine and engine compartment, the entire fuel system, the hydraulic clutch stem to stern, the AC system, dealing with the rusted frame, 3/4 of the body panels, the tires, headliner, that front bumper is gone, the engine cover is trashed, the brakes have to be bad too, right? - and while I haven't pushed on the fender personally I'm gonna guess based on the rusted springs the suspension is cooked.

That's probably 30K-40K+ worth of parts, shipping and outsourced labor alone (stripping/powder coating etc) depending on how lucky you get - plus the year or more of labor involved. You'd probably have a 60-70K car by the time you were done fighting that mess.

That said - if Gas Monkey could underwrite that resto as a production cost and get Velocity to eat it they may be just about the only garage capable of justifying that job. Otherwise they should do the honorable thing and dig a hole and bury it.

You do realize you are on a DeLorean forum where we actually like these cars right? Also with any classic you are not usually in it for the money, there is no logic to spending vs the value.

Timebender
06-12-2015, 06:09 PM

I was watching the show last night where Richard had bought an orange Pantera for $17,000. One of his guys went through it and it was a mess - not unrestorable as I've seen completely gutted and rusted VW busses come back to showroom new - and he decided to sell it as he bought it vs. really working on it. I think there's a point where they decide it's more work than it's worth when it's on their dime.
Meanwhile they had to mod out a 1956 Chevy Nomad for Dale Earnhardt Jr. with a budget of $75k and 10 days to do it.

Dangermouse
06-12-2015, 06:17 PM
So the moral of the story , then, is that they aren't very good at buying classic cars ;)

Rich W
06-12-2015, 06:22 PM

No, this is a sign that there are cars so far gone even a "Gas Monkey" can't bring it back from the dead.

Lenny
06-12-2015, 07:57 PM
If I was Mr. Wynn or Mr. Espey I'm beat feet down to Gas Monkey Garage and work a deal.

They could buy the car and tell the story about DMC Houston. Show a couple of minutes of the restoration process and have the car ready for BTTF Day October 21, 2015. Maybe raffle off the car for Parkinson's research.

I think that a Fast N' Loud DeLorean episode would draw some people to watch the show.

Jonathan
06-13-2015, 08:50 AM
I think that a Fast N' Loud DeLorean episode would draw some people to watch the show.

I think adding a DeLorean to just about anything on TV will get more people to watch it.

(Dancing with the Stars, American Dad, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, used car dealership commercials, Old Spice commercials, news reports on driving to your NBA practice gym, etc., etc.)

Instant celebrity... just add DeLorean.

Galt
06-13-2015, 11:20 AM
You do realize you are on a DeLorean forum where we actually like these cars right? Also with any classic you are not usually in it for the money, there is no logic to spending vs the value.

There's so much insult going on here I'm not sure if you're serious or just being sarcastic. Let's assume you're serious; I love DeLorean. I've saved a mess of them. At some point money has to be a consideration especially considering they aren't that rare. If it were the last of 10 left in the world, break the bank. That car however is an unrealistic money pit that only a fool would bury himself under. If you had a TV show, were gonna put an LT4 in it or turn it into a BTTF car and the production was paying for it I get it - but when you can buy solid drivers all day long for peanuts that thing makes zero sense.

"There is no logic to spending vs the value"?

I'd counter with "A fool and his money are soon parted".

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying for the sake of your bank account and cost vs reward, it shouldn't.

krs09
06-13-2015, 11:51 AM

Oooo.. I think 60k-70k is a little strong. If you skip the powder coating and hope the frame is good and do the labor your self (car is very easy to work on) you would be WELL under half of that. Its a labor of love, if your in it for the dough you have to find the "right" car not any DeLo. I bought one for 11k and put 7k into it and now its a safe, reliable and fun car to drive. Id probably break even if I sold it but got it for the love of the car, the fun of the project and my lifelong dream, not for the money (like my wife was hoping.. ha).

OverlandMan
06-15-2015, 08:16 AM
I love DeLorean. I've saved a mess of them.

https://camo.githubusercontent.com/6a66e38fa0084d6c641aec15d5a2edb8bfa2fd5f/68747470733a2f2f7261772e6769746875622e636f6d2f726f 626d637665792f692d6c6f76652d6c616d702f6d6173746572 2f6c616d702e706e67

A mess of them? Who are you?

bxtech
06-17-2015, 10:40 PM
Anyone know what happened to this car? Did it sell outside of the auction? I'm thinking that someone probably made a direct deal with Gas Monkey while the auction was going on. Would be great to follow up on what happens with it and the restoration.

vtdmc
12-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Did anyone catch Fast and Loud last night? I don't know if its the same car but they showed the DeLorean for about 5 minutes. Gas Monkey claimed they bought it for $3,000 and then sold it to John Hervey for $12,000.

Lenny
12-11-2015, 02:42 PM
I saw it and they didn't hurt us to bad. The mechanics wanted to work on it but Richard had it sold just after he bought it, he said.

There was one slam, you had to listen closely to hear it. When he said he got back from the future he said the value of the DeLorean was 12,100. That was what Hervey paid for it.