PDA

View Full Version : Cool new article this morning..

painterdave72
06-18-2015, 01:07 PM
http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/the-delorean-dmc-12-a-true-time-machine.html/?a=viewall

this was on yahoo news this morning. actually a pretty good article..

Mark D
06-18-2015, 05:17 PM
Really interesting article, thanks for posting. I was surprised that they got most of the facts right, but the most interesting part for me was this:

This month, a bipartisan bill introduced in the House of Representatives would allow small manufacturers who build fewer than 500 cars a year to offer these models to the public, albeit with current engines and emissions systems. The current auto manufacturing laws were written specifically with major automakers, their budgets, and production capacities in mind. The new bill, if passed, could potentially create a whole new marketplace of boutique manufacturers bringing classic cars back to life.

Simply put, that means we could potentially be getting a new DeLorean, looking exactly like it came from the factory in 1982. From its massive stores of new-old stock parts, DMC has the resources to build up to 300 brand new DMC-12s over the course of several years, and still have enough inventory to support the surviving cars for decades.

If I'm understanding this correctly it would mean:

-A true "new build" car would be possible.
-The legislation would require newly built cars meet current EPA emissions but would allow new VINs to be created.

Does anyone know if DMCH actually has intentions of building new cars this way? It seems like the current method of rebuilding cars using original VIN's would be easier due to the ability to retain the stock engine and not have to find some other platform that meets current emissions standards.

Timebender
06-18-2015, 05:31 PM
Really interesting article, thanks for posting. I was surprised that they got most of the facts right, but the most interesting part for me was this:

If I'm understanding this correctly it would mean:

-A true "new build" car would be possible.
-The legislation would require newly built cars meet current EPA emissions but would allow new VINs to be created.

Does anyone know if DMCH actually has intentions of building new cars this way? It seems like the current method of rebuilding cars using original VIN's would be easier due to the ability to retain the stock engine and not have to find some other platform that meets current emissions standards.

With the large number of crate LS3's (or LS4's), and the work done by Nick as well as other swaps, it wouldn't be out of reach for DMCH to build a "New" DeLorean using almost everything they have, aside from an adapter plate and appropriate drive shaft to handle the power, along with some bigger brakes (I know I'm simplifying this but you get the gist of it).

Plus, who would want to buy a new DMC-12 with a 30 some year old stock PRV?