PDA

View Full Version : Electrical DeLorean Control iOS App - App and Bluetooth relay system

klaatu42
06-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Howdy. I am developing an iOS app which works in conjunction with a strip of Bluetooth activated relays to unlock/lock/open the doors, start the vehicle, and provide auto up/down for the windows. At the moment it is being developed for iPhone, but it will also be available for iPad (especially useful for in-dash iPad Mini installations). The hardware will be compatible with Android devices, but I don't have the expertise to write that app (maybe someone in this forum does).

Currently, I am able to unlock/lock #11633 and power up the accessory and main relays by remote. Starter will be next.

My question of the day, since I just got the 12V->5V converter I was waiting for, is: Where should I safely grab 12V (always on) and ground from within the relay/fuse compartment? This little unit uses very very little power, so I am planning to make it always on, with a switch to disable it for longterm storage.

Bitsyncmaster
06-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Pretty much all the brown wires are always "hot". Some are fused and others not fused. You can wire an added fuse to power your low current device to one of those brown wires.

Spittybug
06-22-2015, 07:04 PM
I love this idea.... see my previous thread.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9032-Switch-replacement-Python-programmer-out-there&highlight=raspberry

klaatu42
06-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Awesome, Owen. Thanks for the link. I just read the whole thread. Cool to see progress others have made on this.

The Bluetooth route using an iOS device means that not only can an iPad Mini go in the dash a la DMCPat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUpusPAvJc

...but you can also control the vehicle via your phone from outside the car.

It also has made it possible to put the entire relay system in the relay compartment where it belongs, with no running of wires up to the dash. At the moment, I'm tapping into wires, but in the next version, NO wiring work will be necessary. It will be literally plug and play, if you can believe it... No crimping, no soldering, no modification to the car's wiring whatsoever. It will be something that can be installed in about a minute and removed just as quickly, returning the car back to its original state 100%.

jangell
06-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Are these Bluetooth relays something you're building, or are they available as pre-built modules? I've been meaning to do something like this myself (mostly with Arduinos acting as the Bluetooth interface to the relay, and using an iPad app to provide an internet connection). Have to finish the other work no my car first, though.

-- Joe

Timebender
06-23-2015, 01:06 PM
This is pretty cool. I've been wanting to do the same, being a UI/UX designer and had some ideas as well on making the car semi-autonomous as well.

mluder
06-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Your ideas are intriguing to me and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Cheers
Steven

ccurzio
06-23-2015, 01:28 PM
I'm doing a lot of similar work for KITT, actually.

My software is its own beast though, with no client software to speak of. It talks to itself to accomplish tasks (like a good KITT should).

klaatu42
06-23-2015, 03:31 PM
I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag until I'd made more progress, but what the hell... the relay strips are from Tinysine:

http://www.tinyosshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=141_144&product_id=371

They are very well built, affordable, reliable, and they ship very quickly. There are wifi and other versions available, as well as one with temp sensor, which might be useful for climate control or even to show engine temp (although I haven't verified that the sensors can handle high temperatures).

The wiring harness I am creating for this plugs into the relay sockets, and then the existing relays for the vehicle plug into the harness. This way no wires need to be cut, tapped, soldered, etc. It is 100% plug and play.

The iOS interface is just a row of buttons right now, but my background is information architecture and interface design, so I will not only put a lot of effort into the interface, I plan to allow the user to add their own skins. Communicating with the Bluetooth interface is so simple, though, that anybody with some coding knowledge will likely be able to create their own app if they don't like mine.

Here is the progress I made on day one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiYd62CV1BI

jangell
06-23-2015, 03:48 PM
Looks like your video is flagged as "private". :)

Those relays look pretty interesting. The other part of my project involves getting data out of the car (monitoring various lines with an Arduino) to get them back to the phone/computer/etc, so I was going to have the Arduinos do the switching as well, but since these relays can be controlled via any Bluetooth source they might still prove useful. Mostly I had no idea that this kind of thing existed already. Nice.

Alas, for my project I'll likely have to cut some wires, but I already have some reasonably extensive modifications planned anyway, so keeping things stock has already gone out the window for me.

Good luck!

-- Joe

Timebender
06-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Your video is set to Private - and you call yourself an IA/UI guy... ;)

klaatu42
06-23-2015, 03:53 PM
I should have mentioned... Using iOS for this also means you can start the car with your fingerprint.

klaatu42
06-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Actually, the video is set to Unlisted, and I verified it twice after YouTube told me it was set to Private. YT seems to be having some technical issues at the moment. I'll set it to public temporarily until they fix this.

EDIT: It looks like Unlisted videos are working again, so the video should now be working. Not a super exciting video anyway, though. lol

Spittybug
06-23-2015, 06:03 PM
I knew there had to be a good reason to keep my old itouch! I'm not an apple guy, so dedicating it to such a project would be simple. Aren't those relays expensive little suckers though? When I was looking at the options out there I recall they were steep and that's why I quit......

**** edit.... I just saw your link and followed it. WOW, they've dropped A LOT!!!!!!!!!

Timebender
06-23-2015, 06:53 PM
Pretty awesome little demo so far - this would be a great idea for us R2 Builders as well.

mluder
06-24-2015, 02:55 PM
I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag until I'd made more progress, but what the hell... the relay strips are from Tinysine:

Are you going into production on this? If so I might be in for one depending on the cost.
I checked out the website for the relay and it's not too expensive but I don't have the technical skills to program it myself.

Cheers
Steve

Timebender
06-24-2015, 05:52 PM
If you do decide to offer this, I'd love to help out with the UI and visual design.

klaatu42
06-26-2015, 10:58 AM
I think what I would like to do is provide free plans on how to do it yourself, but also offer for sale pre-made kits for those who don't want to do the work.

What I'm currently trying to source is some kind of relay extension cord, or failing that, male relay plugs (empty relay cases?) so I can create my own. The whole idea will be that the install is done by removing existing relays, plugging in this harness, and attaching the relays back onto this harness. This means no cut wires or crimps required.

klaatu42
06-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Adding in one of these guys (when it arrives), to ensure that the system powers off if the car sits for too long and the battery's voltage drops too much.

Timebender
06-27-2015, 05:08 PM
I think what I would like to do is provide free plans on how to do it yourself, but also offer for sale pre-made kits for those who don't want to do the work.

What I'm currently trying to source is some kind of relay extension cord, or failing that, male relay plugs (empty relay cases?) so I can create my own. The whole idea will be that the install is done by removing existing relays, plugging in this harness, and attaching the relays back onto this harness. This means no cut wires or crimps required.

So then let everyone design their own UI and program it, or find an iOS programmer?

klaatu42
06-27-2015, 05:15 PM
So then let everyone design their own UI and program it, or find an iOS programmer?

The iOS app would work for anyone, whether they built their own harness or bought a kit.

Timebender
06-27-2015, 10:15 PM
That's what I was thinking but didn't get what you meant by people doing it all on their own. That's why I had offered to help with the UX/UI as that's what I do for a living- so I'd be willing to help out if you're going to put the app on the App Store for free. We have a similar thing over on the Astromech.net forums- one for the guys made an iOS control app that ties into his interface board- what people do with the board as far as hooking up components, servos, etc is up to them. So when I said if you're going to offer your hardware interface and the app, I'd like to help with the app. You can see some of my work at http://gregschumsky.com

Cummil2
07-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Howdy. I am developing an iOS app which works in conjunction with a strip of Bluetooth activated relays to unlock/lock/open the doors, start the vehicle, and provide auto up/down for the windows. At the moment it is being developed for iPhone, but it will also be available for iPad (especially useful for in-dash iPad Mini installations). The hardware will be compatible with Android devices, but I don't have the expertise to write that app (maybe someone in this forum does).

Currently, I am able to unlock/lock #11633 and power up the accessory and main relays by remote. Starter will be next.

My question of the day, since I just got the 12V->5V converter I was waiting for, is: Where should I safely grab 12V (always on) and ground from within the relay/fuse compartment? This little unit uses very very little power, so I am planning to make it always on, with a switch to disable it for longterm storage.

Just starting a similar project for Android, Android as you can purchase a stereo with a pop out screen which is an Android device,
My question relates to the Fan speed switch and the brightness adjustment switch , Using the relays is it just increased power that makes dash brighter and increases the fan speed ?

Regards

klaatu42
07-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Here is the nearly complete install. I say nearly because I'm sure I will be updating this on an ongoing basis.

http://imgur.com/gallery/KoBFY

On mobile, this is best viewed in the Imgur app, otherwise the videos may keep taking over your screen.

Cummil2
07-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Very Nice,
Did you happen to keep any detail of the wires you connected to at the fuse box ? Also is it difficult to convert ios app to Android ?
Very impressive work ,

Ryan S.
01-01-2018, 06:52 PM
I just found this thread. Very interesting. Well done.
Based on your info, I am planning on ordering a same bluetooth relay and connect that to my Wing A loft so that I can control it from my iphone. I also have a Homelink controller in my car so I can also connect that to bluetooth relay.
What I don’t have is your fancy iPhone/iPad app. Would you be releasing that app for public use? I really don’t like the generic Tinysine app. Apple Watch app would be even super. Opening doors from Applewatch.
Thanks

Patrick C
01-02-2018, 07:27 AM
I just found this thread. Very interesting. Well done.
Based on your info, I am planning on ordering a same bluetooth relay and connect that to my Wing A loft so that I can control it from my iphone. I also have a Homelink controller in my car so I can also connect that to bluetooth relay.
What I don’t have is your fancy iPhone/iPad app. Would you be releasing that app for public use? I really don’t like the generic Tinysine app. Apple Watch app would be even super. Opening doors from Applewatch.
Thanks

Just get the Viper SmartStart module and use their iOS and Apple Watch apps. I’ve had this for years.

https://youtu.be/TGeGkDqm44A