PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different.......

Spittybug
06-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Ok, at this point you either "get" the title or don't.
But I digress....

Favorite restaurant anywhere in the world? Type? Food? Why?

I'll go first..... Chez Jenny just off the Place de la Republique in Paris. Alsace Lorraine brasserie. Wonderful sauerkraut dishes, pork, french stews, shellfish.... I first went here in 1970 when my family moved to Paris when my dad took an assignment with IBM. He was born just outside Paris, so it was a no brainer. We stayed in a hotel, the Modern Palace (now the Holiday Inn), on the Place for about a month while we looked for an apartment. We started eating there at that time. At first, the only things I would eat (8 or so year old) was eggs. Then I progressed to sole. My grandfather introduced me to oysters there. Fast forward to 1990 and I took my bride there on our honeymoon. Another time for a Paris vacation. Then when the kids joined us on a Paris/London vacation, I introduced it to them, making 4 generations to have enjoyed it. A couple of times when I've been there on business and introduced colleagues to the place. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone headed that way. No other restaurant in the world holds the same memories or place in my heart.

http://uk.chez-jenny.com/

SS Spoiler
06-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Kalispell MT Wendys

sdg3205
06-30-2015, 02:19 AM
Rita's Kitchen (http://www.marriott.com/hotel-restaurants/phxcb-jw-marriott-scottsdale-camelback-inn-resort-and-spa/rita's-kitchen/71255/photo-gallery.mi) - Paradise Valley, AZ. Beautiful outdoor setting with mountains, live music, great food, fire pits, awesome service.

OverlandMan
06-30-2015, 08:39 AM
I recently went to Smith & Wollensky on South Beach in Miami. This was probably one of my all-time favorite experiences due to the combination of food quality, ambiance (we were outside on the water and the temp was awesome that evening/night) and cigar plus scotch. I started with a Makers Mark & Coke and a Wollensky salad. Then moved to the dry-aged 24-oz bone-in ribeye. Then went to a slice of cheesecake, a Cohiba 60-ring and a Talisker single malt to finish it off.

I've been to several steak houses but this particular one really had it all.

Rad Dad
06-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Kalispell MT Wendys

Paul, you always have had the ability to locate famous hidden gourmet places. Thanks for this tip.....I'll put it on my list.

Timebender
06-30-2015, 02:40 PM
In San Diego for French Country, we go to Bo-Beau's, and that's kind of becoming our go to place. For Mexican (which, btw, San Diego has the best Mexican food ANYWHERE), we like Por Favor in El Cajon (not the one in La Mesa) for sit down. For taco shops, there's a number of good ones, with Hilberto's in Rancho San Diego being probably the best. Plus you can't get real rolled tacos anywhere BUT San Diego. They have something like them north of San Diego county and call them taquitos, but they are not rolled tacos.

For a good steak there's Ruth Chris'. Lots of great restaurants in San Diego.

Rich W
06-30-2015, 04:50 PM
It's rare when a recommended place lives up to all the hype.

One such place is The Apple Pan in West Los Angeles, CA.

The burgers, the fries, and of course the pie were all great.
Even the soda was in little glass bottles when I was there.

And just a short drive from the famous La Brea Tar Pits.

Dangermouse
06-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Need some Springfield IL recommendations.......

Rich W
06-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Need some Springfield IL recommendations.......

Springfield, IL is the "birth-place" of the original Corn Dog (deep fried hotdog on a stick)
and the Horse Shoe Sandwich (which needs a little more explaining).

The Horse Shoe Sandwich can be had in various forms, but most of them are based upon
a selected meat on toasted bread, covered in fries and smothered in cheddar cheese.

Most of the restaurants in Springfield serve their own versions of this sandwich and I have
had a few variations so far and they were all very good.

The recommendations below are a short walk from the Convention Center:

Obed & Isaac's Microbrewery on Jackson and 6th

Celtic Mist Pub on 7th, between Adams and Washington

The Corn Dog was born and raised at the Cozy Dog Drive In on 6th Street
(a destination on the Route 66 tour)

I may add a few more locations later here and in the DCS 2016 thread.

SS Spoiler
06-30-2015, 07:13 PM
Norms News is an olde tyme malt shop with the best burgers in the valley.
Huge selection of home made candies and an entire wall of every type of
magazine available. Good eating......

Norms News
Main street
Kalispell, MT

Wendys is good too

Timebender
06-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Wendys is good too
Not Wendys the fast food chain, right?'

For the best burgers in San Diego, I'd go with Stacked in Fashion Valley, or Burger Lounge - and they even make their own sodas (or for you mid-Westerners, Soda Pops).

aotmfilms
06-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Wellllll if you like GOOD Burgers, look no further. Metro Detroit area's own Bray's Hamburgers: http://brayshamburgers.com/

They have some of the best hot dogs in these here parts. :D and they are inexpensive. If you come to the Woodward Dream Cruise August 15th I may buy you a hotdog or two. Its out in Westland (map is on the site). Just off of Ford Road.

YUM YUM. I may have to stop the D there on my way home next week. Only problem is the parking lot is tiny. Like 6 spaces it seems tiny. :(

DMC5180
06-30-2015, 11:42 PM
Norms News is an olde tyme malt shop with the best burgers in the valley.
Huge selection of home made candies and an entire wall of every type of
magazine available. Good eating......

Norms News
Main street
Kalispell, MT

Wendys is good too

Norms news! Hmm, I may take you up on that one soon. But I kinda like Scotty's bar & grill ( may have changed the name ) but it's across from the airport heading into town from the south.

davidc89
07-01-2015, 07:03 AM
Wafflehouse.

Jonathan
07-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Wafflehouse.

I was thinking along the same lines...

I can't one-up a place in Paris or New York City, but a favorite to me is one you get to go to often and not just once in a life time. Add to it that maybe it is what defines your small town or local area or country even.

Two places that come to mind most Canadians quickly associate with Canada are Tim Horton's for coffee and Swiss Chalet for chicken. It won't be the best meal you've ever had in your life and probably not the best coffee shop you've ever sat in, but in terms of defining a nation, there aren't many others that are as popular.

(I'll throw a vote in for a Ruth's Chris steakhouse though too. That's a real treat and so too is a place in New Orleans I understand they modelled the Ruth's Chris places after... called Crescent City steakhouse. Mmmmm.... simmered in butter and you can cut it with your fork. :) )

Dangermouse
07-01-2015, 08:17 AM
I was thinking along the same lines...

I can't one-up a place in Paris or New York City, but a favorite to me is one you get to go to often and not just once in a life time. Add to it that maybe it is what defines your small town or local area or country even.

Two places that come to mind most Canadians quickly associate with Canada are Tim Horton's for coffee and Swiss Chalet for chicken. It won't be the best meal you've ever had in your life and probably not the best coffee shop you've ever sat in, but in terms of defining a nation, there aren't many others that are as popular.

(I'll throw a vote in for a Ruth's Chris steakhouse though too. That's a real treat and so too is a place in New Orleans I understand they modelled the Ruth's Chris places after... called Crescent City steakhouse. Mmmmm.... simmered in butter and you can cut it with your fork. :) )

Firstly, when did you emigrate Jonathan? Just noticed the new location. OT, when I was in Toronto last month, somehow I never had a Tim Hortons donut, but I made it to Jack Astors instead.

Secondly, Owen, that's too silly, too silly

Thirdly, Atlanta has some great eateries downtown that we are just now rediscovering with the kids gone.

Canoe (https://www.canoeatl.com/)by the river is a great location, and downtown we have been frequenting Thrive (http://thriveatl.com/online/)quite a bit.

For the connoisseurs, the city is HQ for both Krystal Hamburgers (awful, awful things in the White Castle mold) and Chick-fil-A, the best chicken sandwiches in the wooorrrllld. Except on Sundays. Founder had a DeLorean too.

Jonathan
07-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Firstly, when did you emigrate Jonathan? Just noticed the new location.

Only for pretend...

http://thelister.blogspot.ca/2010/06/ten-movies-featuring-fictional-town-of.html

It was part of my sight seeing day on the Midwest open house weekend though :)

Dangermouse
07-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Where's that facepalm smilie when you need it.