PDA

View Full Version : Toolbox Essentials?

SShaw
07-12-2015, 08:00 PM
I recently sold my Jeep to kick start my DeLorean fund. I'm about 60% towards my goal and hope to purchase next year. Before I sold my Jeep I took out my toolbox and want to start converting it to my DeLorean toolbox. I'm looking for advice on what essential tools I should travel with. What don't you leave home without? Thanks.

refugeefromcalif
07-12-2015, 08:52 PM
What don't you leave home without? Thanks.

Checkbook/Credit card for a tow truck ride back home... :lol:

All kidding aside, I carry Spare belts and toolbox with the wrenches, sockets needed for minor roadside repairs.
A few jumper wires. One for the Otterstat and others for use on the relays.

George

DMC-81
07-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Hi there,

Congratulations on your future goal to own a Delorean.

For driving, I plan to have some sockets and wrenches, a spare RPM relay, belts, some other relays and fuses, and a fire extinguisher on board.

Also...below is not a list for keeping in your car as you drive, but a list of some of the tools that have helped me so far in my restoration. I am sure that some of them will be needed only once or rarely, depending on what you need to do to your car, and whether you will have some jobs done at a garage, or do things yourself. You can judge what you'll need. So, here goes....

Must haves:

The DMC Workshop Manual
Metric socket and hand wrench set, especially 6 through 19 mm
8 mm square male socket ( for the oil drain and coolant block plugs )
10 mm square female socket ( for the manual gearbox fill and drain plugs)
A multimeter
Brake bleeding kit

Optional:

32 mm deep socket ( for the wheel hub nuts). I think some cars used a different size.
35 mm normal depth socket ( for the crankshaft pulley nut)
Torque wrench(es) capable of ranging from 20 inch pounds to 135 foot pounds at least
A 1/2" breaker bar
Tie rod end separator
Crows feet (for the upper and lower ball joint nuts)
A special tool to lock the flywheel ( needed only to remove the crankshaft pulley nut)
A battery charger
A floor jack and stands

Also, here are tools usually available for loaning or renting at auto parts stores:
Spring compressor
Vacuum pump
Cooling system pressure tester

Supplies:
WD-40 or similar
Never-seize
Carburetor cleaner
POR-15 grey frame paint
SEM trim black paint
dielectric grease
180 to 600 grit sandpaper

Cheers,
Dana

OverlandMan
07-12-2015, 10:31 PM
I recently sold my Jeep to kick start my DeLorean fund. I'm about 60% towards my goal and hope to purchase next year. Before I sold my Jeep I took out my toolbox and want to start converting it to my DeLorean toolbox. I'm looking for advice on what essential tools I should travel with. What don't you leave home without? Thanks.

Howdy! I sold my 48 CJ2A to bankroll part of my DeLorean as well a few years back. I've never looked back!

Agree with what DMC-81 said. Metric wrenches are a must as is the workshop manual. The 8mm square socket only if your car has the original style plug (I just changed mine to a normal type this year (available from DMCH). A multimeter and battery charger are also going to be a big help. I would add a power probe and test light as well. You'll want several screwdrivers in different sizes and lengths as well (Phillips and flathead).

Speaking from a small engine fire experience, definitely get a fire extinguisher to carry with you in the car. That's a whole separate topic but certainly not something you want to overlook.

Rich
07-13-2015, 12:19 AM
Did this topic also get covered in the linked thread here?

LINK: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2959 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2959) = Roadside Emergency Kit? = 25 posts 3 years ago

I'm looking for advice on what essential tools I should travel with. What don't you leave home without? Thanks.

Jonathan
07-13-2015, 07:39 AM
Dana hit the mark thinking of it in terms of what things you take with you in the car (smaller list) and what things you have in the toolbox in your garage (the bigger list).

I keep a basic set of wrenches and sockets (metric and Imperial) in the car in one of those molded plastic cases where everything has a spot. They are mostly crap quality and size, but they are only there for emergencies. With that in mind, what I keep with me in the car is only what I would consider tackling on the side of the road or in a parking lot. So I don't keep elaborate amounts of parts in the car. Extra relays, fuses, belts, but that's about it. Zip ties, silicone lube, some jumpers too.

Garage toolbox is as others said. Metric sizes (easier for me in Canada to find), and a variation of wrench handle shapes or lengths to get into odd places. And more than one of each size helps too, like when you need two of the same 10 mm wrench for the same job for example.

Drain plug fitting/tool is a good one, interior trim removing tool is helpful but not terribly crucial, a good, low profile jack to get under the car WITH a piece of wood on top of it. Some paper towel and windex in the car for fingerprints.

Most smartphones or any tablet can store just about every file that exists for our cars. That includes digital copies of the manuals or schematics. Keep a copy of the Grady roadside survival guide with you either hardcopy or electronically to give you ideas on what to do to fix your car and not panic while doing it.

SShaw
07-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Great, thanks everyone. I'll work on getting some of these things put together. I already have most of the common tools such as wrenches and sockets. I'll be sure to buy the Workshop Manual and Grady Roadside Survival Guide.

David T
07-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Great, thanks everyone. I'll work on getting some of these things put together. I already have most of the common tools such as wrenches and sockets. I'll be sure to buy the Workshop Manual and Grady Roadside Survival Guide.

What tools and parts you carry is determined by how handy you are, how reliable the car is, and how far you are going. For a 5-speed keep an extra pivot bolt. Other useful items include:
jumper wires
fuses and relays
spare fuel pump
jumper cables and/or jumper pack
RPM relay
headlight switch
extra oil and coolant
bulbs
electrical tape
gloves and/or soap
plastic bag and old towel and paper towels
Once you decide what extra parts you have, it makes it easier to know what tools you need.

SShaw
07-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of the Grady roadside survival guide? I've looked around and can't find it. Also, while I'm at it, I read the Illustrated Buyers Guide and it said I could find a PDF of the Pre-Purchase Inspection Checklist on the website (http://deloreanguide.com) but I don't see it on there. Any ideas where I can find that file? Sorry if these things have been covered in other threads.

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to do as much homework as possible before diving in.

fnzen
07-15-2015, 10:35 PM
AAA Premier Plus Card!

Jonathan
07-16-2015, 12:05 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of the Grady roadside survival guide? I've looked around and can't find it. Also, while I'm at it, I read the Illustrated Buyers Guide and it said I could find a PDF of the Pre-Purchase Inspection Checklist on the website (http://deloreanguide.com) but I don't see it on there. Any ideas where I can find that file? Sorry if these things have been covered in other threads.

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to do as much homework as possible before diving in.

Try this:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9950-P-J-Grady-Emergency-Troubleshooting-Guide

If you can find someone to give you a copy, there is a revised "2.0" version in a clean PDF that makes reading it easier. Very similar content though.

SShaw
07-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Try this:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9950-P-J-Grady-Emergency-Troubleshooting-Guide

If you can find someone to give you a copy, there is a revised "2.0" version in a clean PDF that makes reading it easier. Very similar content though.

I downloaded those images and made a PDF of them. Thanks. Now if I can only find the Pre-Purchase Checklist from the Illustrated Buyers Guide.