PDA

View Full Version : Engine So how bad is this. I think my motor is fudged

Some guy
07-12-2015, 09:03 PM

So there was a dark puddle of antifreeze under my car today. it looks to be coming out from under the passenger side front of the motor. it has soaked my starter heat shield.

it is dry on top from what i can tell.

Is it my head gasket? do i have to pull the motor? can it be done in the car?

the oil was just changed and had no sign of water.

AugustneverEnds
07-12-2015, 09:26 PM
I would begin by examining all of the water hoses on that side of the engine and the hot water valve: http://store.delorean.com/c-363-7-1-3-heating-system.aspx #2 in the diagram. You may have to do some acrobatics to see everything. If you are inclined to remove the intake manifold it makes it much easier.

If you haven't had any overheating issues recently then I wouldn't think you have anything more than a leak somewhere, doubtful it's the head gasket so suddenly

DMCMW Dave
07-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Beg/borrow/rent a cooling system pressure tester. Makes spotting the leak a lot faster.

berickson926
07-12-2015, 09:31 PM
You could use a pressure tester on your header tank to see if it holds ~15psi while the engine is cold. It'll be easier to see where it is leaking from without it evaporating.

With a flashlight you can probably take a small peek down into the valley behind the water pump and see if there coolant sitting there too.

AugustneverEnds
07-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Beg/borrow/rent a cooling system pressure tester. Makes spotting the leak a lot faster.

Of course!!! I forgot about that, DUH!!! Autozone will loan you one for an $80 deposit, refunded when you return it. Fits the DMC header bottle without a problem

Some guy
07-12-2015, 10:00 PM
thank you, i am going to run and get a pressure tester now

Some guy
07-13-2015, 01:46 AM
So i did the pressure test. it dropped .5 psi in 2 hours. I was like awesome, then i looked from under the car. the hoses were dry, but my heat shield on the starter was soaked and dripping very slowly. it was very wet in that one spot and no were else. I did feel anything in the valley being wet. it looked dry.

Is there anyway to fix it with out tearing the motor apart?

berickson926
07-13-2015, 03:01 AM
Have you considered checking the hoses for the heating system (https://store.delorean.com/c-363-7-1-3-heating-system.aspx)? That heater return pipe runs right out the back of the valley and is pretty hard to see.

Maybe some pictures from over the top of the engine could give a better look at these.

Jonathan
07-13-2015, 07:22 AM
So i did the pressure test. it dropped .5 psi in 2 hours. I was like awesome, then i looked from under the car. the hoses were dry, but my heat shield on the starter was soaked and dripping very slowly. it was very wet in that one spot and no were else. I did feel anything in the valley being wet. it looked dry.

Is there anyway to fix it with out tearing the motor apart?

You don't need to tear the motor apart to fix "it" because you don't know what "it" is yet, i.e. you can't fix the problem until you know what the problem is. Keep looking, have patience, if stumped, take a break and come back later with a clear mind.

List out the things you know or have observed, leaks, gauge readings, other oddities and it'll help you/the guys here to help put the puzzle together. Tearing apart the engine is a step quite a ways away at the moment.

Some guy
07-13-2015, 03:01 PM
So i am so confused.

http://store.delorean.com/popup.aspx?src=/images/Product/large/102001.JPG

I am by no means good with motors, i adjusted the valves on this car and that is the best i could do.

So i was looking at the engine block and i am trying to get an idea of what could be the problems.

It could be the two holes for the coolant Y pipe.

the hose for the heaters (i don't think it is this, it was very dry.)

the area around the cylinder, dose coolant flow through there?

I have seen a little smoke- steam come from this part of the motor a few times, but never thought anything of it.

Some guy
07-13-2015, 03:05 PM
should i even be considering?

http://barsleaks.com/product/head-gasket-fix/

David T
07-13-2015, 03:09 PM
should i even be considering?

http://barsleaks.com/product/head-gasket-fix/

Yes. It is possible you have a corroded (rotten) head gasket and it is leaking. Nothing else to be leaking over the starter. Get under the car and look up at the staining. If it starts where the cylinder head meets the block, it is the head gasket. The Bar's stop leak may work but it may not.

DARCOM
07-13-2015, 06:10 PM
I used steal seal and it worked both times. Im lucky my delorean has not needed it yet.

axlealex
07-15-2015, 06:12 PM
If it were a head gasket. Check to see if there is coolant in the oil. Or compression test. Just some thoughts.

Some guy
07-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Thankfully the oil is the right color. I just changed it.

It is hard to see the area. there is just about everything in the way. It sat for a few days and it is dry on top of the motor and wet in one area around the lower bolts for the exhaust manifold.

It is right above the starter, and is making the heat shield wet.

I have owned up that it is a bad head gasket. I am going to have it towed to the Delorean shop in Huntington Beach.

If it was easier, i would do it my self and the one mechanic i know is intimidated by the car.