PDA

View Full Version : 100 Best American Movies – You won’t believe which one is at Number 57 – click here

Dangermouse
07-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Sorry, couldn’t resist it :D

Instead of your usual headline grabbing click-bait list making that comprises journalism these days, where the list is made over a few beers by one sad lonely guy just to generate hits on his website, this one was actually organized by the BBC who survey 60+ international film critics for the “Best American Film”, defining “American” as something paid for with US dollars. Unfortunately there is no info on the actual demographics of these critics, but based on some of the movies on the list, they have wide ranging tastes

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150720-the-100-greatest-american-films

Honestly I was genuinely surprised that BTTF was on the list at all, never mind at #57 (oops spoiler alert).

Perhaps more surprising was that only 1 of the top 20 films was made in the last 25 years and BTTF was #5 of movies made in the last 35 years

Stainless
07-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Very interesting list indeed. I've now added several movies from this list to my "must watch" list.

SamHill
07-25-2015, 07:23 PM
The Dark Knight is rated over Gone with the Wind? Okay. So much for that list.

Flicky
07-28-2015, 02:53 PM
The Dark Knight is rated over Gone with the Wind? Okay. So much for that list.

I'm guessing there is some political butt covering in this list. There seams to be some sprinkling in of movies to counteract the picks of "The Birth of a Nation" along with "Gone With the Wind." I can't see how anyone would just happen to stick "12 Years a Slave" there at 99 and then forget about "Avatar"