PDA

View Full Version : Removing engine with / whitout gearbox?

Aleksander
07-25-2015, 08:27 AM
Simple question, what's the best, with or whiteout gearbox?

DMCMW Dave
07-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Depends on why you are removing it. If you have no reason to have the trans out, leave it there.

David T
07-25-2015, 10:06 AM
It is slightly easier to remove the whole thing because you don't have to undo all of the bolts holding the motor to the transaxle and it is easier to install, you don't have to line it up. As Dave S said, a lot depends on why you are taking the motor out in the first place.

DMCMW Dave
07-25-2015, 12:09 PM
You can remove the engine-only with the rear fascia in place. Fascia has to come off to pull them as a unit. For engine-only you also don't have to mess with the trans mounts, linkage, or axles. I find it a somewhat bigger PITA to take them apart and put back together on the floor than in the car. None of the differences are really major in terms of overall effort.

eagle-co94
07-27-2015, 08:58 AM
I've never tried to pull just the motor before but after having pulled at least 5 DeLorean motors with the transmissions still attached I prefer to do it that way. I don't have to worry about bumping the rear closing panel or rear fascia that way either.

Josh
07-27-2015, 11:08 AM
ive always pulled with the transaxle attached.

ccurzio
08-01-2015, 08:00 AM
You can put as much whiteout on the gearbox as you want, I don't think it'll help your job any.