PDA

View Full Version : General Cooling system questions - Regarding flushing.

Justin51982
07-28-2015, 01:23 PM
So first, I found this:

http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?682-Coolant-Flush-and-Refill-Procedure-To-Avoid-Bleeding

and feel it outlines the process pretty well.

At this point, I am wanting to pull the drain plugs from the motor and try to drain and flush with those out...The car has been sitting for a long time and I feel this is best.

My first question is, how many engine, coolant drain plugs are there? I know there are at least 2, but is that it? Also, is there a diagram or picture out there that shows locations? (I'm much better with photos and diagrams :) )

Secondly, if I read correctly, there are 2 bleed valves for the cooling system if the majority of the system is stock....same question as above, does anyone know the locations and/or have a photo/diagram?

Lastly, if there anything else recommended? I will tell you I pressure tested the system and it came through with no leaks thank fully, but I do want some fresh fluid in there.

Thanks!

David T
07-28-2015, 02:18 PM
You really shouldn't have to remove the plugs on the motor. Reverse flush through the hoses. There is one bleeder on the thermostat housing for the motor and you loosen the small hose on the top, right side of the rad to get the air out of that. Best done with the pressure tester and some pressure. Flush the motor, radiator, and heater separately. If you see any green staining on the rad or the crimps are starting to come loose you should replace it. Depending on how much junk is in there you might want to flush it out, fill with water, drive for a while, and then flush again before filling with anti-freeze.