PDA

View Full Version : Ernest Clines Delorean Ecto 88

Chris Burns
07-28-2015, 11:57 PM
Check out the Knight Rider steering wheel!

Mario
07-29-2015, 01:56 AM
I've met Ernie Cline and seen this car in person! He's a great guy. He keeps a bunch of BttF/Ghostbusters props in the frunk, too (hoverboard, the ghost trap, etc). This was the first DeLorean I'd ever seen in real life and sat in, actually.
This DeLorean is a replica of the one he describes in his book Ready Player One.

Jonathan
07-29-2015, 07:38 AM
I've met Ernie Cline and seen this car in person! He's a great guy. He keeps a bunch of BttF/Ghostbusters props in the frunk, too (hoverboard, the ghost trap, etc). This was the first DeLorean I'd ever seen in real life and sat in, actually.
This DeLorean is a replica of the one he describes in his book Ready Player One.

I just saw he has a second book out now called "Armada." Sounds like there are some Last Starfighter references in this one.

louielouie2000
07-29-2015, 08:22 AM
Ahh, this must be the DeLorean someone was describing to me yesterday. I was out running errands while wearing one of my DeLorean shirts, and a store clerk was telling me about the ratty modified DeLorean in his neighborhood in north Austin that looked like something straight out of Mad Max.

I assume this is the same car Ernie drove in the Atari documentary which is on Netflix.

Timebender
07-29-2015, 12:14 PM
That's actually pretty neat. I had been playing with Photoshop the other day, and being a Star Wars nut, I made mine into an X-Wing fighter theme.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=35800&d=1438186474

Rich W
07-29-2015, 12:50 PM
I received this article from a co-worker earlier this week and I forgot to post it after I read it.

A Game of Drones - Entertainment Weekly - July 31, 2015

I will try to scan it to a PDF later.

delgato
07-29-2015, 01:20 PM
That's actually pretty neat. I had been playing with Photoshop the other day, and being a Star Wars nut, I made mine into an X-Wing fighter theme.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=35800&d=1438186474

Ha! I love it. Take the louvers off and put an R2-D2 head back there. Then make the laser cannons attached to the doors so when the doors are open you can "lock S foils in attack position". Get a license plate that say "RED 5" Yeah, I am a Star Wars nerd too.

DL4567
07-29-2015, 02:15 PM
I received this article from a co-worker earlier this week and I forgot to post it after I read it.

A Game of Drones - Entertainment Weekly - July 31, 2015

I will try to scan it to a PDF later.

Here is the same article in web-form. Similarly, one of my friends emailed it to me a few days ago.

Side note: It pains me to see his fascia bending down from him sitting on it like that.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/24/ernest-cline-deloreans-video-games

Rich W
07-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Side note: It pains me to see his fascia bending down from him sitting on it like that.

Agreed. My first thought at looking at the photo.

Timebender
07-29-2015, 03:53 PM
Ha! I love it. Take the louvers off and put an R2-D2 head back there. Then make the laser cannons attached to the doors so when the doors are open you can "lock S foils in attack position". Get a license plate that say "RED 5" Yeah, I am a Star Wars nerd too.
You're thinking what I am as well- though I don't think I'd actually do anything for real- well, maybe just for the end of the year... Something easily removable too- so the laser cannons would have to be able to mount without any drilling or mods to the doors.

Timebender
07-29-2015, 03:55 PM

Maybe that's his way of straightening out the eyebrows..

Citizen
07-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Any one have the VIN of this car? For the record book, of course.

Thomas

valdez
07-30-2015, 04:18 PM
Poor car! That is just tacky for the sake of being nerdy. I don't understand how someone could think "This will be awesome. All my favorite things in one!". Why not glue a Spock bobble head to the hood and call it a hood ornament? Don't forget to add a Transformers logo and some Pokemon crap on it somewhere too! Oh, yes and a Lord of the Ring mural is also required! A spoiler made from plywood will help make it even classier and better handling!

Taste?
Where we are going, we don't need taste.

Morpheus
07-30-2015, 08:43 PM
Poor car! That is just tacky for the sake of being nerdy. I don't understand how someone could think "This will be awesome. All my favorite things in one!". Why not glue a Spock bobble head to the hood and call it a hood ornament? Don't forget to add a Transformers logo and some Pokemon crap on it somewhere too! Oh, yes and a Lord of the Ring mural is also required! A spoiler made from plywood will help make it even classier and better handling!

Taste?

I'm of the firm belief that anyone can do what they want to their own car. That being said...

I'm sure this guy is a great author and all, (I haven't read his books yet but I'm told I should) but I have to agree with Valdez here.

Tacky. as. hell.

Jonathan
07-30-2015, 10:18 PM
A Google search of "awesomemobile" yielded this a while back.

Photoshop =yes. Your real car = not so much.

louielouie2000
07-31-2015, 09:04 AM

Taste?

I'm of the firm belief that anyone can do what they want to their own car. That being said...

I'm sure this guy is a great author and all, (I haven't read his books yet but I'm told I should) but I have to agree with Valdez here.

Tacky. as. hell.

Between the Atari documentary, and what I've heard from people around Austin who bump into him... this guy is one of those people who is constantly, desperately seeking attention. From my understanding, he spends his days at the local pinball arcade, DeLorean parked out front & center- complete with a rotating variety of other 80s clichéd objects.

In his defense, I suppose he uses the car as promotional material for his self, and can probably write off anything associated with it. Pretty smart.

aotmfilms
08-05-2015, 03:25 PM

Tacky. as. hell.

Agreed! IMO I think he needs to keep with ONE theme though, BTTF, Ghostbusters and or Knight Rider, if for anything because you confuse people. My eyes hurt just looking at that car (no offense). :nono:

Chris Burns
08-05-2015, 10:00 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=epGwr7zJDv8

Freaky Beetle
08-06-2015, 11:12 AM
A Google search of "awesomemobile" yielded this a while back.

Photoshop =yes. Your real car = not so much.

I bought a t-shirt with that design off ThinkGeek a few years back! It goes well with both my DMC and my daily driver (Herbie).

valdez
08-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Not trying to be hard on the guy. I totally agree, it is his car to do with as he wishes.
I just don't get the desire to want to do that to any car short of something being entered in a demolition derby. He could have put a wooden body kit on it and I would have the same opinion of "Why, god, why".

aotmfilms
08-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Not trying to be hard on the guy. I totally agree, it is his car to do with as he wishes.
I just don't get the desire to want to do that to any car short of something being entered in a demolition derby. He could have put a wooden body kit on it and I would have the same opinion of "Why, god, why".:thumbup: +1

Ashyukun
08-26-2015, 11:31 AM

I don't see the Oscillation Overthruster anywhere though...

Timebender
08-26-2015, 01:29 PM
I don't see the Oscillation Overthruster anywhere though...

Should be next to the Flux Capacitor in it's gyroscope.

Jonathan
10-28-2015, 12:12 PM
On a positive note... :)

I just saw Chapters Indigo books (that's Canada's version of Barnes and Noble for the US guys) has Ernest Cline's book Armada in their top 50 best reads of 2015.

I did end up buying it shortly after it was released and I really, really enjoyed it. I should have posted something right after I finished it. It was just a lot of fun to read, from the sci-fi adventure side to the pop culture references throughout. And no direct BTTF references, but there are some similar themes to Marty or George getting the girl, besting the bad guy, etc.

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.