PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Seat Tilt Mechanism

Grover
08-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone,

So my driver seat never holds position anymore. When sitting in the seat and leaning back the entire seat will just fall all the way back to the shelf. When looking at my tilt mechanism it seems that the metal discs aren't as tight and close together as they are on the passenger side.

So two questions:

1.) Is the nut underneath the small circle cover for the turn know what keeps tension on the tilt mechanism plates from separating and skipping a 'tooth'?
2.) If not, and the discs appear to be warped, is it possible to bend it back into shape or do I have to hunt for a used tilt mechanism?

I can provide pictures of what I am talking about tonight, but in the meantime it is #9 in the diagram for seats.

https://store.delorean.com/c-396-8-7-3-seats.aspx

PJ Grady Inc.
08-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Hi everyone,

So my driver seat never holds position anymore. When sitting in the seat and leaning back the entire seat will just fall all the way back to the shelf. When looking at my tilt mechanism it seems that the metal discs aren't as tight and close together as they are on the passenger side.

So two questions:

1.) Is the nut underneath the small circle cover for the turn know what keeps tension on the tilt mechanism plates from separating and skipping a 'tooth'?
2.) If not, and the discs appear to be warped, is it possible to bend it back into shape or do I have to hunt for a used tilt mechanism?

I can provide pictures of what I am talking about tonight, but in the meantime it is #9 in the diagram for seats.

https://store.delorean.com/c-396-8-7-3-seats.aspx
Hey Steve there is another nut after you remove the plastic wheel the holds the two discs of the tilt mechanism together. Remove the wheel and you'll see what I mean. Use some Loctite when you tighten it up (13MM).
P.S. I think you called me about it this morning but I wasn't available at the time.
Rob

Jonathan
08-03-2015, 06:33 PM
I don't know how this would come into play, but I noticed a connection between the ratcheting dial knob at the pivot point on the seat and the tip it forward release thingy halfway up the seat back.

I had seen this on my passenger seat years ago where it would always lay all the way back and not stay in any intermediate position. I dialed the knob at least a couple clicks forward to where it was coming to rest on it and then when you used that release trigger thingy to fold the seat forward, when you put it back upright, it would now stay where it was intended.

Somehow it seems if you don't have the dial rotated into play, it won't stay up simply with the tip forward mechanism alone.

That might not translate well trying to describe that, yet it's more or less what I saw on my car.