PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body headliner adhesive

penciltester
08-04-2015, 10:30 PM
I purchased new headliners from DMC Midwest. I am at the point where I need to stretch the fabric up and over the lip that the door seals are pushed on to. What adhesive do you guys recommend for this. It doesn't look like spray adhesive would be very easy to apply here with accuracy/control or without making a mess.

Thanks.

Chris 16409
08-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Maybe something like a light coating of rubber cement?

mluder
08-05-2015, 01:29 AM
I used spray adhesive... And you're right, it wasn't easy.
I ran a strip of masking tape around the back of the lip and I covered the interior with some old blankets so that overspray would be limited.
Go slow...
Everything turned out fine but your mileage may vary.

Also, don't forget to trim the excess so it doesn't hang too far down into the "gutter" or it will wick up water and draw it inside and discolor your new liners.

Cheers
Steven

DavidProehl
08-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Also, don't forget to trim the excess so it doesn't hang too far down into the "gutter" or it will wick up water and draw it inside and discolor your new liners.

+1

My PO didn't trim this enough and I had a very wet experience. It was raining inside my car!

skill
08-05-2015, 11:38 AM
I used 3M headliner adhesive. Came out clean, no over spray. Easy to control spray. I sprayed the backing first and covered it with the headliner material. You need to move quick as the spray drys pretty damn fast. Once you apply the headliner material over the bond, I used a mini paint roller and firm pressed it and it came out cool.

3M Headliner Adhesive
url: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004MEBENM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1438788761&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=3m+headliner+spray+adhesive&dpPl=1&dpID=41zZ1WGXJvL&ref=plSrch

sdg3205
08-05-2015, 12:57 PM
The key to the 3M is actually to give it about a minute to get tacky. If you apply it too soon it doesn't stick well and can leave "wet" appearing spots if pressure is applied and the glue soaks through. Just follow the label on the can and you're in good shape!

Delorean3610
08-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Would spraying the inside (the side which faces the roof) with that spray rubber stuff effectively waterproof it?

sdg3205
08-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Would spraying the inside (the side which faces the roof) with that spray rubber stuff effectively waterproof it?

If installed properly, it would stay dry anyway. With right amount of material folded over the roof lip and secured with the weather stripping, a bead of silicone around the perimeter of the weather stripping (which is mostly out of view anyway) should suffice in keeping you and your headliner dry.

If I understand what you're asking, then the answer is probably not. Rather, you may just retain water or dampness between the fiberglass and headliner. Not ideal. Mold, mildew etc.

Rich
08-06-2015, 12:47 AM

No, it won't.

Don't wrap very much of the fabric over the lip. Maybe 2-4mm overlap. Cut off the excess with a knife after you glue it on.

After the door seals are on you should not see any fabric outside of them on the rainy side.