PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Digital Door Lock Control Unit

davidc89
08-11-2015, 08:04 AM
I am looking at getting the Digital Door Lock Control Unit, but I can't really find what it actually does. The description doesn't really help much. Can someone can give me an overview of it?

Thank you.

DavidProehl
08-11-2015, 09:58 AM
I have one installed. It replaces your original black box door lock module. It sends the signal to your power locks to lock or unlock. Also comes with a fob for remote unlock and has an "option" hook up to fire off one other thing you might hook to it (door popper or bonnet popper). Toby also sells a similar unit with 2 option channels (for left and right door poppers).

I just use it for remote door locks. Well worth it in my opinion to not mess with door keys.

DavidProehl
08-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Correction: The box doesn't come with the keyless entry, you have to buy that separately.

Here is the link to the keyless entry addition: https://store.delorean.com/p-7207-remote-keyless-entry.aspx

davidc89
08-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Ideally I would like to hook up the Wings-A-Loft system, but what I am really wondering about is what is the advantage of the digital module over the standard. From what I read it has a diagnostic system on it, I just am looking for a bit more clarification on that.

Bitsyncmaster
08-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Ideally I would like to hook up the Wings-A-Loft system, but what I am really wondering about is what is the advantage of the digital module over the standard. From what I read it has a diagnostic system on it, I just am looking for a bit more clarification on that.

Original door lock ECU is prone to burning the relay contacts inside the ECU which may cause the power to the solenoids to stay on and burn the solenoids.

New designs use "digital" voltages on the relay coils so they don't have the burning contact problems.

Timebender
08-11-2015, 07:07 PM
I have one installed. It replaces your original black box door lock module. It sends the signal to your power locks to lock or unlock. Also comes with a fob for remote unlock and has an "option" hook up to fire off one other thing you might hook to it (door popper or bonnet popper). Toby also sells a similar unit with 2 option channels (for left and right door poppers).

I just use it for remote door locks. Well worth it in my opinion to not mess with door keys.

Do you have the Zilla door lock module? I looked on Toby's site and didn't see anything aside from the remotes and door poppers.

Greg

davidc89
08-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Do you have the Zilla door lock module? I looked on Toby's site and didn't see anything aside from the remotes and door poppers.

Greg

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=DPNW&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=K2500DP-CC

DavidProehl
08-11-2015, 07:31 PM

Greg

No, I have the DMCH digital module. The remotes and door poppers from Toby are what I'm talking about though. It is a similar unit to what Houston sells, but with additional channels to support the door poppers.

Timebender
08-11-2015, 09:21 PM
And Toby's seem to be less expensive too...

Rich
08-11-2015, 10:33 PM
I've had the DMC unit for 2 years and am happy I bought it.
My OE module was still OK but I wanted to eliminate the module's standby drain and get a remote function. No comment on Toby's since I did not look into it.

Benefits:

1. Almost no standby current drain, unlike the OE door lock module. The car is now happy for more weeks between starts in the wintertime without a bump-charge.
2. Reliable door unlock signals, no risk of original door module relay failure.
3. Capable of remote unlocking. Brings the car up to date if you go for the optional remote fob option.

It is plug-and-play. Has not let us down yet. I leave my early-VIN door key at home on trips since I went for the remote fob option.
Expect a door lock/unlock sequence with this upgrade. Instead of both lock solenoids firing at once this module delays the second door lock/unlock signal a second or so after the first one goes off. Reduces inrush current, not a problem.

I am looking at getting the Digital Door Lock Control Unit, but I can't really find what it actually does...Can someone can give me an overview of it?

Rich
08-11-2015, 10:52 PM
I....I am really wondering about is what is the advantage of the digital module over the standard. From what I read it has a diagnostic system on it, I just am looking for a bit more clarification on that.

Diagnostics? There are some LEDs on the side of the box that flash when locking or unlocking.

There are valet, parking light flash, dome light, horn features, etc. but I did not bother with any of that.

The DMCH-supplied instructions get you to the point where it does what the OE module does except better, as noted already. It's a 5 minute install at that level.

You could call them if you want to verify or get details.

DMCMW Dave
08-11-2015, 10:53 PM
Diagnostics? There are some LEDs on the side of the box that flash when locking or unlocking.

There are valet, parking light flash, dome light, horn features, etc. but I did not bother with any of that.

The DMCH-supplied instructions get you to the point where it does what the OE module does except better, as noted already. You could call them if you want to verify or get details.

The diagnostics are the flashing LEDs, if one of the doors fails to respond properly to a "lock" command, the unit will unlock both doors and flash an LED to indicate which door failed.