PDA

View Full Version : Old VIN lists

Dangermouse
08-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Does anyone have a copy of the VIN list from before 2006, the earliest one I have from Knut's time curating it?

Rich W
08-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Does anyone have a copy of the VIN list from before 2006, the earliest one I have from Knut's time curating it?

The oldest copy I have at work is 05/20/05. Will that work for you? It's a PDF that is about 100K smaller than the next later version I have here.

I will try posting it here, since it is not too large.

Domi
08-19-2015, 01:17 PM
I have this one (from -1998-), but I doubt it is what you are looking for?
Not on PDF, only paper.

Mark D
08-19-2015, 01:40 PM
I'm also looking for any VIN lists pre-2001. I have no information on my car prior to that point, so it's one of the few avenues left to track down potential PO's.

Domi, is there any chance you could scan or photograph the pages from your 1998 list for the state of Ohio? I know the PO of my car purchased it in Sandusky at a dealership so I'm guessing it may have been a trade in.

Dangermouse
08-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks Rich, that's great.

Any earlier would be good too.

Domi, I'd appreciate a private copy of the DOD from then, if that would be possible. You could use the email address for me in the current issue. We probably shouldn't post all those contact details here in public.

Domi
08-19-2015, 01:52 PM
I will try to find some time to scan the pages.
However, I wonder if there is copyright with this, as I got it from James Espey back in the days.

Domi
08-19-2015, 02:24 PM
I'm also looking for any VIN lists pre-2001. I have no information on my car prior to that point, so it's one of the few avenues left to track down potential PO's.

Domi, is there any chance you could scan or photograph the pages from your 1998 list for the state of Ohio? I know the PO of my car purchased it in Sandusky at a dealership so I'm guessing it may have been a trade in.

Unfortunately, there is no owner with VIN 6125 :(

Mark D
08-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks for checking :-)

Timebender
08-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Hey Domi,
Not to make this the "Ask Domi to find your VIN history" thread, but any chance you can look to see if there is one for 7000, sold in Dundee, Illinois?
(which is mine of course).

Thanks,

Greg

Domi
08-19-2015, 04:38 PM
Hey Domi,
Not to make this the "Ask Domi to find your VIN history" thread, but any chance you can look to see if there is one for 7000, sold in Dundee, Illinois?
(which is mine of course).

Thanks,

Greg

I'm sorry but there is no VIN 7000 either in this issue :(

David T
08-19-2015, 09:41 PM
If you know the State it was last registered in you can ask the DMV to do a record search by vin #. Some do it for a nominal fee.You just keep following it forward and back to get the whole chain-of-ownership. Might have to jump to several States to get the whole chain. Might get lucky and the car spent it's whole life in just one State. You should be able to get from the selling dealer right up to the present through all of the prior owners.

marcel
08-21-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm sure that Ed B. has an up to date vin list. Although it may be hard to read it with all those black X marks on it.

Dangermouse
08-22-2015, 08:36 AM
:)

DMCVegas
08-22-2015, 02:18 PM
If you know the State it was last registered in you can ask the DMV to do a record search by vin #. Some do it for a nominal fee.You just keep following it forward and back to get the whole chain-of-ownership. Might have to jump to several States to get the whole chain. Might get lucky and the car spent it's whole life in just one State. You should be able to get from the selling dealer right up to the present through all of the prior owners.

That is the best answer that I would advise.

There are 3 sources for DMC-12 History:

The original sales information from the DeLorean Museum.
The DML rolls.
State DMV Records.

With the DeLorean Museum, depending upon VIN, they may or may not have the info. The DML Rolls are the best things that I would recommend. The DOA *might* have had a few stragglers from members whose cars went into storage way back in the 1980's, but it's an even longer-shot than getting info from the Museum. I spoke with John Truscott before he died because I was advised he had records on cars, but I found out quickly that the DOA was just scanning the DML to read signatures. Their "research" wasn't that impressive at all.

Contacting your state's DMV/PS/Tax Assessor is your best bet. Since you're in Georgia, this would be your best place to start: Georgia Motor Vehicle Services (https://dor.georgia.gov/motor-vehicle-services)

aotmfilms
08-27-2015, 11:29 AM
My two cents here: State of Michigan VIN search: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585-28744--,00.html

Grover
08-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Any chance 1494 is on any of those old, printed Vin Lists? I know the previous/First owner was from Talmo, GA, but just wanted to see if I could get a name. Thanks!

Domi
08-27-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry Grover but there is nothing on your VIN :(
Unfortunately, they're a lot of owner in GA whom didn't tell their VIN number.