PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Red - VIN 10499

MNT250
08-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Recently purchased the car from original owners. Painted Red in 1982, garaged from 1990 - 2008. Was the fathers car and son pulled it out and had extensive work performed by DMC Florida (Nearly $30k) Restoring, suspension, stage 2 ect.. It was vinyl wrapped in red over the original paint instead of stripped. I liked the red but I really wanted the original stainless. Researched various options and ended up renting a soda blasting machine and doing it myself. I was a little scared about potential damage under the paint but I got lucky. Damage to front passenger fender had some bondo but it was mostly to fill sanding scratches and not too bad. Various light sanding marks where rough paint was taken down to ensure vinyl looked good (my guess, as adhesive was applied to the vinyl in these spots making it a major bastard to remove)

Anyhow, i'm getting close. I have a guy at a metal shop working on the fender, the bumpers being repainted and in the mean time i've been pulling things off, cleaning and replacing rusty hardware with new stainless hardware.

36221362223622336224362313623036225362263622736228 36229362333623436235362363623736238362393624036232 36241

Xopher
08-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Kind of an aside, but I didn't realize until your photos here just how much the mirrors are part of the lines of the car.

Good work so far. I'll be following if you continue to post. :)

MNT250
08-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Kind of an aside, but I didn't realize until your photos here just how much the mirrors are part of the lines of the car.

Good work so far. I'll be following if you continue to post. :)

They really do don't they? Thanks man! I will keep posting as things progress :)

Oh and some updated headlights. Some sealed LED 4x6 for the main headlights and some cheaper 4x6 for high beams. Big difference!

Domi
08-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Congratulation on your purchase, I remember this car was on ebay a few months ago.
You did an awesome job by removing all the red paint!

MNT250
08-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Congratulation on your purchase, I remember this car was on ebay a few months ago.
You did an awesome job by removing all the red paint!

Thanks! The soda made quick work of it. Shooting the nozzle at the panels basically erased the paint right back down to the original grain. Made quick work of the whole car in 3 hours or so. I didn't do the bumpers for a couple reasons, I heard soda blasting on those can cause some issues with paint if not prepped right prior to painting and the soda really bounced off when I shot at them, lol. Right back into my face! I also didn't do inside the doors. I didn't want to remove them, and I didn't want soda getting in the car or inside the door panels, stripping that with aircraft stripper has been a real nightmare. I got the drivers side mostly done.

Jonathan
08-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Nice job! Do you think the car had been in an accident up at the front right quarter in the past?

MNT250
08-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Nice job! Do you think the car had been in an accident up at the front right quarter in the past?

Hard to say for sure, the fiberglass and all mounting hardware look good under and no indication of damage. There was a black mark rubbed into the side indicator with a hairline crack. I suspect the fender was damaged by rubbing up against something in a parking lot at some point.

Jonathan
08-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Hard to say for sure, the fiberglass and all mounting hardware look good under and no indication of damage. There was a black mark rubbed into the side indicator with a hairline crack. I suspect the fender was damaged by rubbing up against something in a parking lot at some point.

Only reason I asked was when seeing that fender removed and then assuming it's the one with the stereotypical "bondo under paint." Couldn't tell, but one picture had what looked like a crease in the fiberglass behind that fender. These cars are notoriously hard to photograph to really show them in detail. That's a good thing though too in many cases!!

MNT250
08-21-2015, 06:59 PM
Only reason I asked was when seeing that fender removed and then assuming it's the one with the stereotypical "bondo under paint." Couldn't tell, but one picture had what looked like a crease in the fiberglass behind that fender. These cars are notoriously hard to photograph to really show them in detail. That's a good thing though too in many cases!!

Yeah it had a grapefruit size spot that was roughly sanded and bondo'd to fill the scratches so I just pulled it off and took it to a shop for repair. It's just a metal shop that does all kinds of stuff including automotive they seemed really confident they could repair it even though they never have done any DeLorean panels but said its no different than the stainless they work with all the time. Heard back this afternoon and they want us to come in before they proceed because they are going to tig weld a spot with a few little pin head marks.. Starting to think I shouldn't have taken it there.

You have me second guessing, lol I should go look at the fiberglass to be sure! I think its a reflection in that side picture though.

Lwanmtr
08-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Wow. Looking good. I never liked them in red..or yellow (hmm..anyone seen them in green?).

Hopefully I can get my interior looking as good as that (or at least passable)..hehe.

Citizen
08-22-2015, 07:41 AM
(hmm..anyone seen them in green?)

VIN 11073 (http://www.citizenkidd.com/dmc/pages/vinview_disp.asp?start=11073) is reportedly painted green, although we don't have a photo to prove it.

Dangermouse
08-22-2015, 01:30 PM
At least 2 are green - this one in Ireland and Rob Grady's.

Ill get you pics on Monday.

Lwanmtr
08-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Green in Ireland....hehe

MNT250
08-25-2015, 01:13 PM

Got my windshield trim and headlight parts back from the powder coaters! Looking good. Headlight buckets and brackets were a rusty mess before

Kenny_Z
08-25-2015, 06:31 PM
Looking really good. You stripped the car in 3 hours? It took me a month :D

Lwanmtr
08-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Looking nice....Wanna come down to Tacoma and help out with mine? lol

MNT250
08-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Looking really good. You stripped the car in 3 hours? It took me a month :D

Thanks man, haha yeah around 3 hours. After using paint stripper of various types on the inner door edges I was glad I opted for the soda blasting on the rest haha. Best stripper I found was the Peel Away 7 though. Worked great.

Looking nice....Wanna come down to Tacoma and help out with mine? lol

Haha thanks, I gotta get mine back together first. Good to see another Washington member though! Should meet up sometime, did you join the PNDC. Maybe i'll see ya at some events.

Lwanmtr
08-26-2015, 02:07 PM
I got the application for PNDC, just have to mail it in...lol. Waiting to see if the $20 is gonna be available after I get mine to DMCNW for complete inspection and some mechanical work. Hopefully I dont have to tow it there (engine's being a pain).

MNT250
08-27-2015, 01:21 AM
I got the application for PNDC, just have to mail it in...lol. Waiting to see if the $20 is gonna be available after I get mine to DMCNW for complete inspection and some mechanical work. Hopefully I dont have to tow it there (engine's being a pain).

Sweet. Haha, may want to hang on to that $20 and save a bit more as its being worked on! I had just a basic informal check over the whole car and my A/C refilled with R12 (they had to charge for a full 2.5 lb fill due to not knowing how much comes out of the system?) and I spent $1k! They know what they are doing though and I feel it was worth it. They told me both my trailing arm nuts were super loose and would have given way in 20-50 miles which could have easily resulted in an accident. So perfect timing on bringing it in and being new to the car I wasn't really sure what to look for. Still was pretty pricey for a car that had nearly $30k worth of work from DMC Florida over the last 4 or 5 years. Just piece of mind though, and Toby looked into a couple things beyond the service, gave me a few tips, constantly kept me updated via email and was happy to chat with me for awhile when I picked it up.

Lwanmtr
08-27-2015, 01:28 AM
Yeah, I been talking alot to him, been getting information and tips trying to trace the engine problem. The full inspect will cost me $400, plus whatever it takes for them to get it running so they can do the inspection..lol. Unless I luck out and manage to get it going on its own.

SKnight
08-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Just piece of mind though, and Toby looked into a couple things beyond the service, gave me a few tips, constantly kept me updated via email and was happy to chat with me for awhile when I picked it up.

We're extremely lucky up here to have Toby and DMCNW, he's always a pleasure to deal with and a wealth of knowledge about our cars.

I can't believe how good yours looks after stripping the paint, great job!

Nice to see another Seattle area owner, definitely make sure you join the PNDC. I'm in my first year of membership and it's a great group of people!

Lwanmtr
08-27-2015, 10:44 PM
Indeed, he's very helpful. Spent a long time today helping me and getting some parts ready for me

MNT250
08-30-2015, 02:07 AM
Indeed, he's very helpful. Spent a long time today helping me and getting some parts ready for me

Sweet, been following your post too. Hope things are going well!

Weather has been terrible so haven't done much, still waiting on my fender to ship from DMC Houston and bumpers to come back from the painters anyhow.. Can't do much until I have those. I assembled my headlight brackets in the house and put on the stainless screen mounting brackets from Delorean Industries to match my hinges :)

Lwanmtr
08-30-2015, 04:28 PM
Hehe...yeah, weather decided to become a bit rainy alla sudden...lol

How much of a pain to remove the front and rear fascias?

MNT250
08-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Hehe...yeah, weather decided to become a bit rainy alla sudden...lol

How much of a pain to remove the front and rear fascias?

Wasn't too bad, rear was easier i'd say. The front wasn't bad either but several of the studs on the lower spoiler/lip thing snapped while removing. Pretty common that things are going to break like that far as i've read. That's why some suggest painting bumpers on the car. I just didn't want to leave all that old rusty hardware under there, wanted a fresh stainless start!

Lwanmtr
08-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Yeah, front fascia will be repaired and painted on the car...rear has a bit of damage underneath, so will probably have to come off to try and straighten it.

MNT250
08-31-2015, 08:14 PM

Got my headlights all setup.

Lwanmtr
08-31-2015, 08:56 PM
Looks nice.

MNT250
09-01-2015, 02:20 AM
Looks nice.

Thanks :) Now hopefully some day I get my bumpers back from being painted and my fender so I can put it back together ! Oh and having the rain stop for awhile might help too.

Lwanmtr
09-01-2015, 03:06 AM
You live in washington..workin in the rain should be 2nd nature...lol

MNT250
09-03-2015, 03:07 AM
You live in washington..workin in the rain should be 2nd nature...lol

Haha, true. Wish I had a garage to work in but I don't so just gotta make due.

Got my headlights on this evening. Still waiting on bumpers and DMC to ship the fender. Testing the new LED bulbs for brights. Picture turned out kind of cool.

Lwanmtr
09-03-2015, 03:21 AM
Haha, true. Wish I had a garage to work in but I don't so just gotta make due.

Got my headlights on this evening. Still waiting on bumpers and DMC to ship the fender. Testing the new LED bulbs for brights. Picture turned out kind of cool.

I have a garage...but because we couldnt maneuver the trailer enough to get it in front, had to drop the car in the driveway...I tried pushing it, but its a fairly heavy car, specially on a slight hill..lol. I suggest getting a popup you can work under.

Lights look good.

MNT250
09-06-2015, 07:50 PM
I have a garage...but because we couldnt maneuver the trailer enough to get it in front, had to drop the car in the driveway...I tried pushing it, but its a fairly heavy car, specially on a slight hill..lol. I suggest getting a popup you can work under.

Lights look good.

Oh dang, haha. Yeah luckily I haven't had to push mine yet ;)

Thanks! I got my bumpers back on Thursday. Only put the rear one on for now, waiting for my fender before I finish the front.

Lwanmtr
09-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Looks nice. I like the more satiny finish on the front and rear more than the high gloss...hehe.

MNT250
09-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Looks nice. I like the more satiny finish on the front and rear more than the high gloss...hehe.

My intention was to just paint the entire bumper one color except the black bit at the bottom just to do something a little different. I picked Audi Monsoon Grey Metallic since in a lot of light it looks much lighter and darker grey in less light. The body shop just followed the original lines on the bumper, so the middle is black. I'm still happy with it, probably better off.

Lwanmtr
09-07-2015, 12:23 AM
Hehe. I may paint mine myself..not hard to mask. Dunno...depends if I get a new one or can restraighten mine.

MNT250
09-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Got my replacement fender on Friday so I was able to get a lot done this weekend and since my last post. Painted the mirrors reinstalled them, painted the plate surround, taped down the t-panel and screwed it in, installed aluminum strips to fix minor eyebrows and prevent future ones, reinstalled the front bumper, installed stainless letters on rear bumper, installed LED blinker relay. Installed QA1 rear coilovers. I'm going to wait for a replacement front lip spoiler to arrive before I finish up. Mine has 4 broken studs and just want everything to be perfect.

Still need to paint passenger door handle and door lock trim ring, install outer door seals and I cannot figure out how to get my rear louvers aligned correctly no matter what I try they still rub on the edge of the t-panel. I intended to paint them due to a small mark on one lower corner but now that it's rubbing it really needs it.

Lwanmtr
09-14-2015, 12:15 AM
Looking good...definately making good progress.

I kinda got stalled...lol

MNT250
09-30-2015, 03:05 AM
Few things since my last post. Took it in to DMCNW and had the doors tweaked and aligned better, custom brackets installed to move the door strut mount from from the side of the roof to the bottom (i'll take some pictures when I get the car back) They also clipped the front door lock rods to prevent any issues on opening the doors and fixed my rear louver issue. Now the car is at a shop being prepped for stripes and prestige Spectra PhotoSync window tint installed. Pretty cool stuff, it actually transitions darker in sunlight. More pictures to come when it returns!

Lwanmtr
09-30-2015, 03:10 AM
Cool. Hope those hide those welds succesfully. Just too bad you cant track down the snapperhead who did that to stainless...hehe.
I didnt get to see all the stuff they did when I saw your car..but the welds were noticable.

I'll prolly have them clip my front rods too, so I dont run into any more door jams

MNT250
09-30-2015, 03:45 AM
Yeah such a shame they repaired it in that way. After being smoothed out the new stripes will cover it. So it doesn't need to be totally flawless. Toby said if I wanted the door and that spot on the rear quarter to look 100% perfect again i'd need to replace the panels otherwise you'll always see an outline at different angles and lighting. The last door replacement they did (via insurance claim) was $5700 add the rear quarter on that and i'm thinking less than perfect is fine. (for everyone else that didn't see, the driver door and rear quarter had a small line of repaired damage where pull rods were welded in and cut off. It can be worked out, but won't be perfect) That was the only damage on the car hiding under the red besides the front right fender which was replaced.

I'm really stoked on the door brackets though, my passenger side door strut mount had a bit of an angle to it and my drivers side was perfect but just piece of mind it won't be an issue in the future. They look a lot like the brackets heninger sells, but a heck of a lot cheaper and they are finished looking. Haven't had any door jamming issues after they cut those rods.

Sneak peek of the stripes, and bracket image attached.

Lwanmtr
09-30-2015, 03:51 AM
Yeah, less than perfect is fine for me..Im not making a museum peice..im making a car to drive..hehe.

Brackets look neat, cant wait to see them in action. My driver door hasnt had any jamming..but the passenger is well and good stuck..Toby tried for a lil bit
to pop the latch..but its jammed good.

Shame on you for keeping that hot wheel in the package...

MNT250
09-30-2015, 04:59 AM
Haha that's just from a google image search, mine is out of the box sitting on my dresser lol!

MNT250
10-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Just picked it up today! Snapped some pictures with my phone, they took some professional ones as well i'll post later on.

Lwanmtr
10-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Looks nice and proffesionally done

SKnight
10-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Just picked it up today! Snapped some pictures with my phone, they took some professional ones as well i'll post later on.

Very nice, I like the striping! Is the rubstrip going back on or staying off?

MNT250
10-03-2015, 12:40 AM
Thanks, i'm super happy with how it turned out. You know I originally kept thinking I was going to leave them off, but after looking at it i'm kind of torn. I think it might complement the stripe well, on the other hand it looks clean without. Going to keep thinking about it as I work on other things, for now.

Lwanmtr
10-03-2015, 01:23 AM
Paint the rub thingies red that matches the red on your decal...hehe

SKnight
10-03-2015, 01:28 AM
Thanks, i'm super happy with how it turned out. You know I originally kept thinking I was going to leave them off, but after looking at it i'm kind of torn. I think it might complement the stripe well, on the other hand it looks clean without. Going to keep thinking about it as I work on other things, for now.

I was actually thinking the same thing about the rubstrip, although you really can't go wrong either way. Looks great!

MNT250
10-04-2015, 03:35 AM

Couple pictures of those brackets Toby from DMCNW makes installed.

Lwanmtr
10-04-2015, 03:50 AM
nice..how hard to install

81dmc
10-04-2015, 09:56 AM

Couple pictures of those brackets Toby from DMCNW makes installed.

Those brackets do make a big difference! I have the same design, but I made my own.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo203/rodolfovii/image.jpg1_zpsdmx0wuai.jpg (http://s376.photobucket.com/user/rodolfovii/media/image.jpg1_zpsdmx0wuai.jpg.html)

MNT250
10-04-2015, 10:30 PM
Looks great! I wanted to pursue making my own but Toby fabricated it and installed it for less than the alternative wanted for just the product. As for how hard it is to install Lwanmtr ask 81dmc or Toby, haha :) From what I read it's pretty straight forward. Love that stainless roofbox 81dmc, i'm jealous!

Today was a beautiful day out so I got some things done. Installed my DMOCO shift gate and cleaned some more red specks from the door jambs (i'll finish some day, not a lot left but i'm taking my time). Gave her a bath as I noticed a red oil covering the inside of my front passenger wheel well and continuing down the side of the car. I suspect my shock on that side is leaking but I can't be sure. Inspecting up under the car I don't see any spots around the spring, inside the wheel, on the hub carrier ect.. but i'm not sure how else to explain red oil. No fluid the car uses is red as far as I know and no leaks anywhere I can see. Handling seems fine, I drove 25 miles today after the wash and it didn't come back. However, pushing down on the front of the car I get a bit of a creaky sound.

Love the way the shift plate looks, took a minute of getting used to. I started out in 3rd a few times when I set out today and thought something was seriously wrong with the car. Hahaha. I'm like I know this is 1st but the car has no power!! Then I realized I just needed to be sure to hug the left side of the plate going into 1st. No issues after that. Normal driving I don't even notice it's there. More spirited driving it doesn't interfere but I bang the notches of the plate a bit.

81dmc
10-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Love that stainless roofbox 81dmc, i'm jealous!

You can love the look and function, but installing it is another story. Especially on early cars...:boxface:

Nicholas R
10-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Love the way the shift plate looks, took a minute of getting used to. I started out in 3rd a few times when I set out today and thought something was seriously wrong with the car. Hahaha. I'm like I know this is 1st but the car has no power!! Then I realized I just needed to be sure to hug the left side of the plate going into 1st. No issues after that. Normal driving I don't even notice it's there. More spirited driving it doesn't interfere but I bang the notches of the plate a bit.

You can make very minor adjustments to the cross shift cable length at the transmission in order to adjust the position of each gear. There isn't a lot of adjustment that can be done before you either loose fifth or reverse but there is a tiny bit. Might be worth checking out. You may be able to get first to line up a little better and keep from hitting the gates so much.

MNT250
10-05-2015, 12:16 AM
Awesome thanks for the advice, good to know! I might have to fool with that. I've got a stainless shift stick coming. I noticed my plate is a little to one side so when i install that i'm going to try to scoot it the other way and see how it is, that may be just enough. I had some issues with getting stuck in reverse and getting into 1st & 2nd that were fixed by adjustment on the first shop visit, so it should be pretty close to where it should be.

MNT250
10-08-2015, 09:58 PM

Today I installed PJ Grady's new "Mattaligner" contraption and wired my window switches so they illuminate.

Lwanmtr
10-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Looks nice.

Delta DeLorean
10-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Recently purchased the car from original owners. Painted Red in 1982, garaged from 1990 - 2008. Was the fathers car and son pulled it out and had extensive work performed by DMC Florida (Nearly $30k) Restoring, suspension, stage 2 ect.. It was vinyl wrapped in red over the original paint instead of stripped. I liked the red but I really wanted the original stainless. Researched various options and ended up renting a soda blasting machine and doing it myself. I was a little scared about potential damage under the paint but I got lucky. Damage to front passenger fender had some bondo but it was mostly to fill sanding scratches and not too bad. Various light sanding marks where rough paint was taken down to ensure vinyl looked good (my guess, as adhesive was applied to the vinyl in these spots making it a major bastard to remove)

Anyhow, i'm getting close. I have a guy at a metal shop working on the fender, the bumpers being repainted and in the mean time i've been pulling things off, cleaning and replacing rusty hardware with new stainless hardware.

36221362223622336224362313623036225362263622736228 36229362333623436235362363623736238362393624036232 36241

Nice job!
I do regret not buying this car now, seeing it without paint. This is the car from Seatle area?
Some Delorean "specialist" advised me not to buy it... Should have known better, where else will I ever find a nice stage 2 car for $20 K?

MNT250
10-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Nice job!
I do regret not buying this car now, seeing it without paint. This is the car from Seatle area?
Some Delorean "specialist" advised me not to buy it... Should have known better, where else will I ever find a nice stage 2 car for $20 K?

Thank you! Well i'm certainly glad you didn't :) Haha. Yep I picked it up just outside of Seattle, I guess it had been on eBay at least a couple times and even sold but buyers backed out, listed elsewhere as well. I found it on Craigslist on a whim. It's always been a dream of mine. I was with my girlfriend and we saw one pulling out of an apartment complex so of course I kind of freaked out. She said why don't you get one? I said I wish it was that easy, they are kind of rare I can't just go on Craigslist and find one to buy and even if I did it'd be too expensive. But I did a search and that one turned up so the following weekend we went to check it out and ended up being blown away by it's condition for the price. Just the one issue of it being red...

I'm happy I was able to get it and stripping the paint turned out well. That specialist was probably right to advise that, it could have been an absolute nightmare under the paint with lots of body work, orbital sand marks, all kinds of scary things that would have cost a fortune. It's a huge gamble. I took it to DMC NW to get everything looked at in depth so I was aware of any issues, brought up stripping it and he advised against it as well. You never really know until you just take the risk and do it. I took the previous owner telling me the grain was still good underneath, there wasn't any body work he knew about to be the truth, took a big risk and it paid off. I figured even if it was a nightmare under the paint I could always rewrap the car with some interesting vinyl, deal with it and i'd be no worse off than I was to begin with.

Lwanmtr
10-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Thank you! Well i'm certainly glad you didn't :) I figured even if it was a nightmare under the paint I could always rewrap the car with some interesting vinyl, deal with it and i'd be no worse off than I was to begin with.

Shoulda gone with a paisely wrap...then you'd really stand out....hehe

MNT250
10-23-2015, 08:26 PM

The shop that did our stripes & tint did a write up :

http://www.northwestautosalon.com/2015/10/hot-wheels-delorean-vinyl-wrap-custom-stripes/

Lwanmtr
10-23-2015, 10:05 PM
Nice

mr_maxime
10-28-2015, 11:46 PM
I saw this car posted on instagram not too long ago

MNT250
10-28-2015, 11:47 PM
Oh cool, was it just a random sighting from someone?

mr_maxime
11-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Not sure. It looked like it might have been some sort of car show.

Delta DeLorean
11-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Thank you! Well i'm certainly glad you didn't :) Haha. Yep I picked it up just outside of Seattle, I guess it had been on eBay at least a couple times and even sold but buyers backed out, listed elsewhere as well. I found it on Craigslist on a whim. It's always been a dream of mine. I was with my girlfriend and we saw one pulling out of an apartment complex so of course I kind of freaked out. She said why don't you get one? I said I wish it was that easy, they are kind of rare I can't just go on Craigslist and find one to buy and even if I did it'd be too expensive. But I did a search and that one turned up so the following weekend we went to check it out and ended up being blown away by it's condition for the price. Just the one issue of it being red...

I'm happy I was able to get it and stripping the paint turned out well. That specialist was probably right to advise that, it could have been an absolute nightmare under the paint with lots of body work, orbital sand marks, all kinds of scary things that would have cost a fortune. It's a huge gamble. I took it to DMC NW to get everything looked at in depth so I was aware of any issues, brought up stripping it and he advised against it as well. You never really know until you just take the risk and do it. I took the previous owner telling me the grain was still good underneath, there wasn't any body work he knew about to be the truth, took a big risk and it paid off. I figured even if it was a nightmare under the paint I could always rewrap the car with some interesting vinyl, deal with it and i'd be no worse off than I was to begin with.

He never told me about the grain being ok underneath... I liked the looks of the car and the pictures from the frame looked great. Reason for me not buying it was that he had nothing to back up the stage 2 work being done to the car. Did see the stage 1 exhaust, but he had no paperwork to proof the stage 2. I have to buy unseen because i am in europe. Last week missed out on another stage 2 car in maryland. Was working on shipping quote's and buying us dollars when somebody with cash in hand showed up and bought it. Looks like it is going to be a while before i get my dream car if ever.
Anyway think you did a great buy and enjoy it!

MNT250
11-10-2015, 02:04 AM
He never told me about the grain being ok underneath... I liked the looks of the car and the pictures from the frame looked great. Reason for me not buying it was that he had nothing to back up the stage 2 work being done to the car. Did see the stage 1 exhaust, but he had no paperwork to proof the stage 2. I have to buy unseen because i am in europe. Last week missed out on another stage 2 car in maryland. Was working on shipping quote's and buying us dollars when somebody with cash in hand showed up and bought it. Looks like it is going to be a while before i get my dream car if ever.
Anyway think you did a great buy and enjoy it!

Oh strange, he gave me all the paperwork from DMC Florida on the stage 2 and all the work that was performed. Sorry to hear about losing out on the other car, it's tough enough finding one in the condition you want for the right price then add being in Europe and it gets really complicated. Just stay on it, some day it'll work out for the best.

Thank you! I think we did well too, but it's been a fair share of work.

No huge updates on the car, I replaced my faulty Autozone oil pressure sender that I put on shortly after I got the car (yay lifetime warranty), changed the oil, installed an EZ drain oil plug so I don't have to fuss with that square plug anymore. Few things on the horizon but i've been busy.

Oh I got a cool coffee mug, a decal for my daily driver, and the BTTF speedo for fun.

MNT250
12-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Had the car in the shop to fix oil leaks from the valve cover & front seal at the pulley. The exhaust system had to come off so I had it all ceramic coated. Apparently it can make a big difference in radiated heat and heat retention inside the pipe resulting in higher flow which hopefully is true. Sure does look nice though.

Lwanmtr
12-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Looks nice..how much that cost ya?

SKnight
12-12-2015, 08:05 PM
Had the car in the shop to fix oil leaks from the valve cover & front seal at the pulley. The exhaust system had to come off so I had it all ceramic coated. Apparently it can make a big difference in radiated heat and heat retention inside the pipe resulting in higher flow which hopefully is true. Sure does look nice though.

Very nice! Can't wait to get one of these exhausts for my car.

12-12-2015, 09:22 PM

Got my windshield trim and headlight parts back from the powder coaters! Looking good. Headlight buckets and brackets were a rusty mess before

Very nice work on the paint removal! Did you have a local place do the windshield trim? I need to have mine done, where did you find someone to do it and what was the cost?

MNT250
12-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Looks nice..how much that cost ya?

Was $400 for the whole system, little more since the muffler is so big. Had it done down in Kent at Performance Coatings.

Very nice! Can't wait to get one of these exhausts for my car.
Yeah man, what a difference that'll make!

Very nice work on the paint removal! Did you have a local place do the windshield trim? I need to have mine done, where did you find someone to do it and what was the cost?

Thanks! I did, just a local powder coating company Seattle Powder coating. Figured it'd hold up a lot better than just painting it with trim paint. Seems with powder coating the more you do at once the better the value so I did the grill, headlight buckets, brackets, and window trim. I believe the cost was $260 for all of that.

Lwanmtr
12-13-2015, 12:15 AM
Not too bad.

Things like powder coating will wait on mine. Wanna get suspension refurbished and upgraded first.

I'll prolly just use the trusty ol sem trim black on window frame and other bits.

12-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Not too bad.

Things like powder coating will wait on mine. Wanna get suspension refurbished and upgraded first.

I'll prolly just use the trusty ol sem trim black on window frame and other bits.

Can you powder coat down the road on top of sem spray?

sdg3205
12-13-2015, 01:35 PM

No, you have to properly prep surfaces with hot tanking and bead blasting.

MNT250
12-13-2015, 02:01 PM

Any reputable powder coat shop will properly prep the surface before coating. It's essential for the finish to hold up. If you're looking to do yours temporarily with SEM trim black and powder coat it later on, nothing wrong with that since it'll be stripped anyhow.

MNT250
01-19-2016, 11:13 PM
Took care of a few things recently :

Got new rotor, cap, plugs, 8.5mm magnecor red wires installed. I bypassed the resistor grid and installed a pertronix coil for simplicity. Gapped the plugs to just under .50 made a huge difference. Runs great, definitely has more pick up.

Brake master cylinder was leaking so I replaced that. I just used a rebuilt SAAB 900 unit from the auto parts store, flushed the rest of the brake fluid out of the system, bled the brakes. Cleaned up the frame, peeled off epoxy, touched up any trouble spots on the frame for the entire front half of the car with POR15 then sprayed it with an enamel grey to match. Took the closing plate to the powder coaters and had it redone. Turned out great. Replaced all the hardware with stainless on the plate as well.

I installed refurbished side vent louvers I got from DMCNW. My originals were pitted when I got the car and soda blasting made it even worse. Drivers side was a bit stubborn and wanted to pop up at the back edge. Hopefully the rtv holds it down.

I tried to install new new drop glass run channels but having some issues, not sure if i've distributed them wrong in the channel or what. A small gap remains when the window is all the way up.

Awhile back I finally cleaned out the garage so it has a nice dry place to live. Besides that I haven't done a whole lot recently. I have a stainless airbox setup from Hervey to install still. I'll post some more pictures later on.

DMCMW Dave
01-20-2016, 12:01 AM
I tried to install new new drop glass run channels but having some issues, not sure if i've distributed them wrong in the channel or what. A small gap remains when the window is all the way up.

The problem is not the channel, it's the moving window aka drop glass. You either need to adjust the tracks (if you are lucky) or unglue the glass from the metal carrier and glue it back in position centered correctly. For some reason the glass migrates back over time, and there isn't enough room in the track adjustments to compensate.

SKnight
01-20-2016, 02:00 AM
I have a stainless airbox setup from Hervey to install still. I'll post some more pictures later on.

I'll be interested to see what that looks like. I've toyed with the idea of getting one for my car.

MNT250
01-20-2016, 11:28 AM
The problem is not the channel, it's the moving window aka drop glass. You either need to adjust the tracks (if you are lucky) or unglue the glass from the metal carrier and glue it back in position centered correctly. For some reason the glass migrates back over time, and there isn't enough room in the track adjustments to compensate.

Damn I was hoping that wasn't the case, they do go up properly with the old run channels. The drivers side has a newer style regulator and the passenger side is original. Both end up with just a very small gap. I suppose the old channels are worn in just the right places it closes properly.

kobachi
01-20-2016, 06:52 PM

Lights look good.

Please make sure these lights are properly aimed. The reason most car lights are warm (yellowish) is because DOT did a lot of research and found that was the safest color to use as far as human night vision goes. Lights like these can be particularly blinding to other drivers if they aren't aimed properly. Rule of thumb is they shouldn't shine over the bumper of a car that's stopped in front of you.

MNT250
01-20-2016, 09:48 PM
They are projectors so that isn't much of a concern as long as they are aimed, also being that the delorean is as low as it is you'd have to be wildly out of aim to shine in the cabin of an oncoming vehicle. Like in no way straight in the housing but pointing upwards at a tilt. Haha. That being said mine are aimed perfectly and have a nice sharp cutoff. They are also DOT approved and much like the designs being retrofitted into city busses in fire trucks with old sealed 4x6 bulbs. My high beams are high power LED bulbs in a reflector housing which would be harsh on other drivers, sure. As would any high beam. The chances I will use them are pretty slim as well as I don't typically drive at night and if I do it's in the city where my low beams are more than enough.

The people that throw HID kits or LED bulbs into a reflector housing are what you need to watch out for and are notoriously bad. This blasts light out in an explosion of light that cannot be contained and is glaring and obtrusive to other drivers at about any angle. Many people give no thought to it beyond "I want my lights to look cool and bright and blue like a fancy car" Not knowing that a factory HID system operates at 4300k a bright useable white light that has the most lumen output and offers the best light for seeing at night. (Not yellow light, although a lower temperature yellow light around 3000k does make for good visibility in adverse conditions) and what makes the different shade of blues and purples you see when a high end car with factory HID projectors is coming at you is only the way the light is being reflected from the projector designed for HID light.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

kobachi
01-20-2016, 11:06 PM
I could go on, but you get the idea.

Totally. Thanks for being thoughtful and responsible about it.