PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Fuel Pump...No Power...

Lwanmtr
08-20-2015, 06:32 PM
I finally got my battery so I could get going on getting it started...

My first task, fuel pump..

Im not getting any power to the fuel pump, and looking at the wiring diagrams, there are quite a few things that feed power into the rpm relay (which apears to be the last stop for electricity getting to the pump.

I installed a new Inertia switch, so thats not the culprit...

Anyone have any ez-paths to follow in checking where the power is stopping? (preferably without needing a car lift to get under..hehe)

I could just start replacing relays and ecu's willy nilly, but rather not given thats a pricey endeavor, unless I have to. The car sat for 15 years, so I know it may be something I need to do....

On a side note...are new Ignition Switches available? I have to kind of hold the back of mine when I turn the key to turn the car over.

DMCMW Dave
08-20-2015, 06:42 PM

Anyone have any ez-paths to follow in checking where the power is stopping? (preferably without needing a car lift to get under..hehe)

I could just start replacing relays and ecu's willy nilly, but rather not given thats a pricey endeavor, unless I have to. The car sat for 15 years, so I know it may be something I need to do....

On a side note...are new Ignition Switches available? I have to kind of hold the back of mine when I turn the key to turn the car over.

The connections are where they are. One that can bite you is in side the left front body section, you remove the windshield washer reservoir to get to it. Connectors in order

---pump
---LF body cavity
---Ground via inertia switch
--- + from RPM relay (but the ignition has to be working to trigger the RPM relay!)
---RPM relay hot + source is Fuse #7, RPM relay low power source is fuse #1, RPM trigger source is ignition ECU.
---Fuse #7 powered from battery hot
---Fuse #1 powered from Main relay triggered by ignition switch.

New ignition switches are available.

Lwanmtr
08-20-2015, 06:51 PM
Thanks.

How do I pull the windsheild washer resevior?

Fuses are all good, checked them over....relays..well difficult to test a relay except to see if power is getting to their plugs.

I didnt see ignition swtiched on the dmc parts page..how much are they?

dn010
08-20-2015, 07:06 PM
Jack up the front of the car, and on the driver side in front of the front wheel you'll see a large black plastic "box" sort of deal and inside is the reservior. Get a long (or multiple) 1/4 extension and pray the rivnuts don't spin on you - I think they are 10MM bolts going up. If that black plastic box doesn't have holes drilled on the bottom of it, be careful - sometimes they fill up with water and/or washer fluid.

Jonathan
08-20-2015, 07:11 PM

Don't rule that out quite yet... confirm the plunger is down on it, i.e. you can't see the red stem showing. Not trying to be an ass, just keep things in the back of your mind if you've ruled them out only assuming it isn't the problem. They have been known to fail from time to time, internally.

Lwanmtr
08-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Hehe...yeah, plunger is down. If its bad, then DMCNW will replace it, since I got it from them..hehe.

Ill save the resevior for last if all the others dont work. I have a floor jack, but not sure yet where to jack it.

Going to test all the connections at the relays and fuses, make sure they're getting power. I have some other electircal problems in there like windows not opening, mirrors not moving, etc..., so still not ruling out needing new relays and stuff.

Did I mention that this level of restoration is pushing my past car experience.....its fun, yeah..and when I make progress its neat...but honestly, I wanna move on to the stuff I know...lol

Bitsyncmaster
08-20-2015, 07:28 PM
When Dave S said the ignition must be working, that means the fuel pump gets no power until your engine is firing. That would be starting or running. How do you know your pump is not getting power?

DMCMW Dave
08-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Thanks.

How do I pull the windsheild washer resevior?
I didnt see ignition swtiched on the dmc parts page..how much are they?

1 - take out the screws that hold it in place. A lot harder than it looks.

2 - http://store.delorean.com/c-280-3-4-1-ignition-components.aspx part 106679 $131.26 Link is broken

Lwanmtr
08-20-2015, 07:59 PM
I know the pump doesnt get power because my volt meter tells me so :)

dn010
08-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Are you testing it while jumping the RPM relay? The pump does not run continuously with the key on unless the engine is running.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lwanmtr
08-20-2015, 08:14 PM
About to actually jumper the rpm relay. After finding which to jump across

dn010
08-20-2015, 08:20 PM
See here:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1155-How-To-Jump-the-RPM-Relay

About to actually jumper the rpm relay. After finding which to jump across

Lwanmtr
08-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Update.....Lol....

Ok, so I went to check the RPM relay and jumper it...hmm..according to the diagram it should be right here...wait..whats this
6 pin connector thats not plugged into anything...hmmm...sure why not..lets jumper it.... snap, ozone.....whirrr..creak..hey thats the fuel pump!

Seems I located the problem...it wasnt a faulty relay at all....it was an absent relay...lol :banghead:

Called Toby at DMCNW and ordered one..that might help...lol

Thanks to everyone who replied

dn010
08-20-2015, 09:02 PM
One question and perhaps it is a bit too late but - is the fuel in the tank fresh? If you don't know how old the fuel is or the condition inside the tank, don't run the pump any further until you've had a chance to inspect inside the tank.

Glad you've located the problem otherwise!

Lwanmtr
08-20-2015, 09:04 PM
The tank was dry before putting fuel in...doesnt mean it was absatively clean...that will part of the inspection i get done at dmcnw, when I get it up there.

Also going to make sure to have a good pump upgrade

dn010
08-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Good to get it inspected, I wouldn't attempt the pump any more until you know what the tank condition is otherwise you may cause further damage to the fuel system. Also you might look around your relay compartment, the RPM relay is held in/under the metal portion of the tray. So it could be in there, just disconnected. If you compare where it is on a diagram in the book or even on the DMCH site you can go to your tray and make sure definitely is or is not there, or it has not fallen down under the tray somewhere. If you find it, at least you'll have a spare!

Lwanmtr
08-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Well, Ill have to run it to get it up to them..already warned them im gonna take their day with inspection and having them do some of the critical things Im sure they'll find...hehe.

Yeah, I looked around a bit to see if it was there..nothin....and nope aint found no coke neither...lol