PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Legitimate VIN Check Site?

lazabby
08-28-2015, 09:58 AM
I'm in the process of selling a vehicle. A potential buyer wants a VIN report from http://lookupvinpro.com. Has anyone ever heard of this site? Is it legit? I haven't met the potential buyer in person and I don't think he's quite on the legit side so I'm suspicious.

dn010
08-28-2015, 10:03 AM
I'm in the process of selling a vehicle. A potential buyer wants a VIN report from http://lookupvinpro.com. Has anyone ever heard of this site? Is it legit? I haven't met the potential buyer in person and I don't think he's quite on the legit side so I'm suspicious.

Scam. Just google the lookupvin scam and you'll read all about it. I'd only deal with usual carfax. If they want a vin report from that specific site they can do it themselves.

David T
08-28-2015, 10:30 AM
On cars as old as ours Carfax is not all that good especially in some States. It is as good as it gets though. Just what is the buyer looking for? Run a Carfax for him yourself. You can also show him a copy of your Title to show it isn't a Salvage Title (if in fact it is a good Title).

lazabby
08-28-2015, 11:52 AM
On cars as old as ours Carfax is not all that good especially in some States. It is as good as it gets though. Just what is the buyer looking for? Run a Carfax for him yourself. You can also show him a copy of your Title to show it isn't a Salvage Title (if in fact it is a good Title).

I'm not selling the Delorean just another car. He says he wants to buy the car unseen and his banker wants a report on it from the site.

Dangermouse
08-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Unquestionably a scam.

Did the reply to the add ask you to reply to a specific email address?

Did the reply use your specific make/model in it at any point, or is it all generic "your vehicle", or "your car".

lazabby
08-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Unquestionably a scam.

Did the reply to the add ask you to reply to a specific email address?

Did the reply use your specific make/model in it at any point, or is it all generic "your vehicle", or "your car".

He did not give an email address. He did not refer specifically to my vehicle. I've already deleted his emails. I doubt I will hear back from him.