PDA

View Full Version : Must do's for upcoming road trip?

Spittybug
09-06-2015, 09:49 PM
The wife, two dogs and I are leaving the homestead in the care of our daughter and are heading off on an adventure in the RV. We've planned a three week trip, starting in Houston and doing a big counterclockwise path; up through OK, straight up through KS and NB into the Badlands of SD. A few days there, a few days in the Mt. Rushmore area, then down through Eastern Wyoming to the Denver CO area. A few days in the Ft. Collins area, a few in Colorado Springs. Then cutting the corner of NM and into the Texas panhandle to see the Duro canyon. We were going to do the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, but it's a bit late in the season and parks are closing.

So, while the obvious touristy things are out there to see and do, I'm soliciting input for the less common. Local knowledge. Best beers to try. Best local steakhouse, not the touristy ones. Experiences. What to avoid? etc. Not looking to make this a Delorean focused trip, but this community is a great one to tap for info.

Suggestions? Thanks.

DMCVegas
09-07-2015, 10:16 AM
It's not going to be available right now due to weather conditions, but Going to the Sun Road might be a nice trip to take if you love some really scenic sights. Although there are vehicle size restrictions when you do go, so an RV depending upon size might not be permitted on the road.

If you're looking for some attractions and unique things to see, this site is a must:

Roadside America (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/)

Citizen
09-07-2015, 10:28 AM
I can offer this from experience. If you're up near Mt. Rushmore, your round trip may take you through Gillette WY. If so, try Humphrey's Bar and Grill (http://www.humphard.net/index.php). It's been a few years, but while I was up there (doing contract work), this place was THE BEST for steaks, beer and atmosphere. Their corny web site doesn't do it justice.

And since you are going through the Denver area, you might try Golden Gate Canyon State Park, just out side of Boulder. You don't have to drive deep into the mountains for some great viewing of the mountains.

Have a great trip!

Thomas

Jonathan
09-07-2015, 10:58 AM
It's been years since I was working in Colorado Springs, but in that area there are some nice scenic spots. You can see the Garden of the Gods park as well as a place called Seven Falls.

I don't remember the food much, but there was a nice steakhouse (Denver Chop House maybe it was called?) in Denver just down from Coors Field (baseball park for the Rockies).

Speaking of which, the Coors plant is not too far from Denver towards the mountain. You can take the tour and drink their beer!

SS Spoiler
09-07-2015, 07:28 PM
The highway to the sun road has been reopened in Glacier Park. Was shut down
due to fires. If your RV is too large you can always jump on the antique tour busses.
Kalispell Brewing has craft beers and Mooses Pizza is good. Lots of art galleys, museums,
studios, and touristy spots. Talk to Dennis dmc5180 he was here this summer.