PDA

View Full Version : Great news!! Here's the plan...

Chris Burns
10-05-2015, 06:39 PM
I finally got me a job here recently and hope to score another one here in a few weeks.

My family said that after working for about six months and getting established they will help me finance a Delorean!!

Wish me luck and by March 2016 I will hopefully be in a Delorean!!

Soundkillr
10-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Awesome man! Glad to see things are looking up! Hope you get there soon!

Alan
10-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Excellent! Very good news.

sdg3205
10-05-2015, 11:58 PM
That's awesome new Chris! Will you keep up your good will efforts as a listing ambassador?

Chris Burns
10-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Of course!!

DMC-81
10-06-2015, 07:51 AM
Congrats on the plan Chris.

Domi
10-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Congratulation on your new job, and hope to see you in your dream car in a near future :aniclap:

Hokie
10-07-2015, 11:38 AM
You can do it Chris, we're all rooting for you!

MTDMC
10-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Sounds Great Chris. Hope to see it someday at a Delorean event. Good luck.

mr_maxime
10-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Congrats. Id go with a credit union if I were you.

Alan
10-07-2015, 08:06 PM
I can't wait for you to post pictures of your new favorite VIN... yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David T
10-07-2015, 09:13 PM
The best advice for any potential owner is to budget realistically. It is a LOT more than just the purchase price. You must have saved and budgeted for all of the inevitable repairs and necessary parts so that the car is roadworthy and reliable. There is no worse position than to be making monthly payments on a car you can't drive or afford to fix. You will start to hate the car. Don't forget tax, Title and licensing fees. Insurance, towing, storage, tools, and supplies. If you buy right the more you spend on the car (purchase price) the less you should have to spend fixing it up. Typical things you usually have to buy right up front include tires, struts, fluids, filters, and tune-up parts. You can quickly spend $1,000 over what you just paid to buy the car. You need to have that cash available. Even the nicest one you find will need something, hopefully not much though. Never buy the first one you see or the nearest one just because it is convenient.

mr_maxime
10-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Never buy the first one you see or the nearest one just because it is convenient.

Never having seriously contemplated buying a delorean, I went against almost every bit of advice you gave and bought the only delorean Id ever seen because it was really close. Seems like I just happened to get really lucky. Although, I didnt accept my first loan offer. The interest rate was insanely high.

aotmfilms
10-16-2015, 04:11 PM
The best advice for any potential owner is to budget realistically. It is a LOT more than just the purchase price. You must have saved and budgeted for all of the inevitable repairs and necessary parts so that the car is roadworthy and reliable. There is no worse position than to be making monthly payments on a car you can't drive or afford to fix. You will start to hate the car. Don't forget tax, Title and licensing fees. Insurance, towing, storage, tools, and supplies. If you buy right the more you spend on the car (purchase price) the less you should have to spend fixing it up. Typical things you usually have to buy right up front include tires, struts, fluids, filters, and tune-up parts. You can quickly spend $1,000 over what you just paid to buy the car. You need to have that cash available. Even the nicest one you find will need something, hopefully not much though. Never buy the first one you see or the nearest one just because it is convenient.

Yep those tools get expensive and lucky for me I had an extra 1,000 bucks for the sales tax. It sucks having to give that much money over to the State just for them being there but it is what it is. You also forgot that you also have to budget travel expenses to go see the cars. Time off from work as well. It cost me at least a thousand for my search. Also factor in if you need to haul it back if it is not running. I paid a good price for my D and it was only 140 miles one way so I was able to drive it home but to haul it that distance might have cost me 100- 300 bucks US.

I budget roughly $100 dollars a week for my nice running Daily Driver D. So $5,200 a year, but that includes tools, BTTF props and some other stuff that goes with the D but not on the D. That price should go down to around $25 to $50 bucks a week once I have all of my extra stuff to go with the D for car shows, cruise ins etc. I factor in Delorean memberships as well into that weekly figure.

Also congrats on starting your search. I look forward to seeing pictures!

--Doug