PDA

View Full Version : Custom painted D for John DeLoreans brother?

vps3922
10-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Is this for real?

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/delorean/dmc-12/1779433.html

Never heard about it.

Dangermouse
10-07-2015, 02:37 PM
I've seen pictures of it before.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=37171&d=1444242962

Maybe they mean it was painted at JZDs brothers Cadillac dealership,

I'm sure one of the Rich's know the story

Pretty poor photos for a for-sale ad, though

DMCVegas
10-07-2015, 03:20 PM
I've seen pictures of it before.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=37171&d=1444242962

That is DanRC30's car. Which was stripped of it's paint some time ago.

It's a good possibility that it's a painted car from DeLorean Cadillac, but without papers, it has no provenance, and thus it is nothing. Even if it does have all of the paperwork, I seriously doubt that it's worth their asking price. But again, it's whatever someone is willing to pay. Was it custom FOR JZD's brother? I'm more likely to believe it was customized BY his brother at his dealership.

Also, yes, these are horrible pictures. It looks as though someone who doesn't know jack about the internet took some pictures with an expired disposable camera 20 years ago, and then only recently scanned them on too low of a resolution.

It also has one of my pet peeves of seller red flags of, "Never Driven in the Rain". So what? I read that, I feel like what the seller is really saying is, "Leaks like a sieve, but I need an albi to prove that I could never possibly have know that fact."

vps3922
10-07-2015, 03:24 PM
"Leaks like a sieve, but I need an albi to prove that I could never possibly have know that fact."

:hihi2:

Dangermouse
10-07-2015, 03:31 PM
That is DanRC30's car. Which was stripped of it's paint some time ago.

It's a good possibility that it's a painted car from DeLorean Cadillac, but without papers, it has no provenance, and thus it is nothing. Even if it does have all of the paperwork, I seriously doubt that it's worth their asking price. But again, it's whatever someone is willing to pay. Was it custom FOR JZD's brother? I'm more likely to believe it was customized BY his brother at his dealership.

Also, yes, these are horrible pictures. It looks as though someone who doesn't know jack about the internet took some pictures with an expired disposable camera 20 years ago, and then only recently scanned them on too low of a resolution.

It also has one of my pet peeves of seller red flags of, "Never Driven in the Rain". So what? I read that, I feel like what the seller is really saying is, "Leaks like a sieve, but I need an albi to prove that I could never possibly have know that fact."

That's the tag I have on the photo - danrc30, but I have no idea what that means..

If it has been stripped, then the seller must have mistakenly uploaded the wrong pictures in his ad. Probably explains the poor quality. He'll be mad at himself when he realizes

Domi
10-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Is it really the same car?

DMCVegas
10-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Is it really the same car?

Nope. That car was stripped about 14 years ago...

http://www.dmcnews.com/mydmc/mydmc4.html

Dangermouse
10-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Funny, the phone number traces back to a real car repair place in glenside PA.

Domi
10-07-2015, 03:44 PM
So, maybe this car is real?
Some better pictures will be nice...

Dangermouse
10-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Robert, are you saying that the Hemmings car isn't DanRC30s car?

The scanned dated photos look very alike...

dmc
10-07-2015, 04:12 PM
The pictures in the advertisement were taken in 1983 or 1984.
My 1969 Buick skylark is the red car in the background.
Small world, eh.?

Dangermouse
10-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Did you know the owner of the black/gold car at the time? Who was it?

DMCMW Dave
10-07-2015, 05:02 PM
That's the tag I have on the photo - danrc30, but I have no idea what that means..

If it has been stripped, then the seller must have mistakenly uploaded the wrong pictures in his ad. Probably explains the poor quality. He'll be mad at himself when he realizes

DanRC30 is his online name. Sort of like "dangermouse". Or DMCVegas. etc. etc .

His real name is Dan, but apparently wants to maintain some level of anonymity online so I won't put it here. Although some called him "Evil Dan" at the time.

I suspect its a scam ad. Which would be pretty weird in Hemmings.

This is also known as one of the Smoky Yunick cars, and yes, Dan stripped the paint off a long time ago.

NJP548
10-07-2015, 05:48 PM
I showed Dan this listing the other day. At first he suspected it was a scam ad using his car's photos. Upon further investigation, he noticed that the car had features from a later model year and not his car at all. He said that he would reach out to the number on the listing, but I didn't hear anything else about it. It definitely sounds like they painted at least two cars with this identical black/gold paint scheme. Dan's car was stripped back to stainless several years ago and now this one cropped up.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

DMCVegas
10-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Robert, are you saying that the Hemmings car isn't DanRC30s car?

The scanned dated photos look very alike...

Like Dave S said, without a doubt it isn't the same car.

http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/members/deutsch/evildan.htm

If this is a painted car from DeLorean Cadillac, it certainly is a possibility that more than one with this paint scheme exists. Otherwise, I would consider this to be a scam. Way too many red flags going on here.

The pictures in the advertisement were taken in 1983 or 1984.
My 1969 Buick skylark is the red car in the background.
Small world, eh.?

Yup. Show winner alright... 30 years ago.

DanRC30
10-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Nick did show me the ad, and it's not my car. My car is an 81 and this car is an 82. The paint on this 82 seems to be in a lot better shape than mine was, hence why I stripped it off in the late 90's. I still have the dark gold wheels for it though. I called the number in the ad many times over the last several days and nothing... no answer, no machine, no vm... nothing. I guess they don't care if they sell it, which seems to be supported by the $40k price tag. :)

nachiva
10-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Hi there.

I'm completely new to this forum and Delorean vehicles come to that.
I am based in Europe with a friend based in USA, we have been seriously toying with idea of buying a Delorean for sometime.
Initially looking at purchasing in the USA and then shipping her over to Europe in the future.

Anyway the reason I ended up here is I also came across the advert that is being discussed here, and was intrigued if this car was a Delorean production car/paint job or in fact an after market paint job.
And after some google searching I came across this thread.

I have in fact spoken to the owner a number of times, no longer I might add on the tel number advertised as that is a number of a car sales business which has subsequently been closed down, (sounds a familiar story considering the history of Delorean motors).

Anyway, after eventually locating the owner, I am of the opinion the car does actually exist in the Gold/Black colour scheme, it was purchased in 1999, same owner (4th) until now.
Stored in garage, used every other day for running around the block, to keep the fluids circulating etc.
The owner seemed to believe it was custom built for one of John Delorean's brothers, although no documentation to substantiate this.

He did mention Cadillac dealership in Michigan, which seems to fall in line with some posts on here, maybe the Cadillac dealership produced a few aftermarket specials in this colour scheme?
I don't know, purely speculation but I would love to find out.

This car is a now a non-runner, apparently it did so little mileage, the fuel was not changed in years, and they had such a bad winter last year which meant the car wasn't able to be used for sometime, and then once the winter had passed the vehicle would not start and the owner suggest that it is down to "rotten" fuel?

He didn't want to pursue the starting problem any further in case of damaging the vehicle more, in his opinion the fuel system needs revamping, draining etc and all fuel components replacing, but he has no time or energy to pursue this.

I am probably not seriously considering this car at the moment based on what I am finding out, it is a non runner, at a high price and potentially was not a factory produced colour scheme.
At this point in time the history of the vehicle intrigues me more than the actual purchase :-)

However can anyone throw any further light on this? How/where can I investige further, any internet resources which may help?

DMC or DanRC30 you seem to have come the closest to this, is there anything maybe from the past you might recall which could help me?

I am considering to get the owner to take some "current" pictures of it, which may help assist.
Are any of the Delorean brothers still alive?

Sorry lots of questions, lots of speculation, any help on figuring out how this colour scheme came to exist greatly received, happy to keep everyone updated here on future developments.

Thanks

DanRC30
10-23-2015, 08:53 AM
If you want a black/gold DMC, buy it. If you want to strip it and go to stainless, forget it. I had to strip mine down because the paint was bad, and it took me 3 months of working on it 7 days a week, 8 hours a day to get the DA sanding marks out of it (I was unemployed at the time). The scratching under the paint and primer are deep and nearly impossible to remove. I would never do it again. Plus, the several layers of primer were extremely hard to remove with a chemical stripper. It was messy and very difficult. Whatever they used, it was amazing stuff. There were parts in the creases that simply refused to go away.

The colors are from Smokey Yunick. When I met JZD at his mansion in NJ in the 90's, his first words when he saw my car were "Ah.... Smokey's colors." From what I understand, a dealer had them painted this color to honor Smokey and make the cars look different on the lot, thus easier to sell. That's all I know.

nachiva
10-23-2015, 09:05 AM
If you want a black/gold DMC, buy it. If you want to strip it and go to stainless, forget it. I had to strip mine down because the paint was bad, and it took me 3 months of working on it 7 days a week, 8 hours a day to get the DA sanding marks out of it (I was unemployed at the time). The scratching under the paint and primer are deep and nearly impossible to remove. I would never do it again. Plus, the several layers of primer were extremely hard to remove with a chemical stripper. It was messy and very difficult. Whatever they used, it was amazing stuff. There were parts in the creases that simply refused to go away.

The colors are from Smokey Yunick. When I met JZD at his mansion in NJ in the 90's, his first words when he saw my car were "Ah.... Smokey's colors." From what I understand, a dealer had them painted this color to honor Smokey and make the cars look different on the lot, thus easier to sell. That's all I know.

Ok thank you very much, then it seems the additional colouring was no more than a dealers after marketing strategy, not original Delorean production.
Yes it looks like we are heading towards the original stainless steel version, and won't be stripping anything painted :-)

I also found this just now which the advert wording tends to also substantiate everything.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C645836

Thank you

DMCVegas
10-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Depending upon where you are located at, there should be a group or club near by that you could connect with. They could help advise you in buying, as well as repairs. Where are you located at?

nachiva
10-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Hi there I'm english, travelling a lot, currently in Spain for a few months.
An English resource would be best ;)

BTW - I spoke to the owner again just now and he is getting some current pictures taken and posted online with updated contact details.
It should all be there in the next few days for anyone interested.

Thanks

Domi
10-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the forum ;)
Looking forward to see more pictures of this car :)

nachiva
10-24-2015, 07:39 AM
Thanks. I'm on a huge learning curve at the moment.

Thinking of purchasing these two books, does anyone know if they are any good or better around?
One for the history, going going on the bookshelf, and the other for buying as a practical guide :-)

http://www.deloreanclub.uk/the-illustrated-buyers-guide-to-delorean-automobiles-paperback-book.html

Thanks

nachiva
10-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Sorry and this one;

http://www.deloreanclub.uk/delorean-celebrating-the-impossible-hardcover-book.html

Domi
10-24-2015, 02:09 PM
The first one is written by James Espey, from DMCH and has a lot of information about the car, a must have for everyone in my opinion.
The second one has a lot of amazing photos from the DeLorean history.
A very good book is also stainless steel illusion that you can find on dmch website or ebay sometimes.

nachiva
10-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Great I will look it up!

I like the name of it :-)

Thanks

David T
10-24-2015, 04:02 PM
To the best of our knowledge DMC never built a painted Delorean. They DID experiment with paint though. There is a test panel that DMCH has with several different colors on it. Future plans were to offer a program where you would go to a dealer and they would exchange your panels for others of a different color. That way, if you got tired of your car you could change it to a different color quickly, all of the panels can be changed because they are all bolted on, none are welded like most cars. Deloreans got painted 2 ways. When DMC went under and many dealers had them on their lots, they thought they could sell them faster if they were painted, like other cars. The other way was if a panel was damaged (for a while after DMC failed replacement parts were not available) the body shop fixed the damage with Bondo and painted the whole car to cover it up. Don't forget the 3 AMEX cars (actually 2 and the parts for a 3rd) that were gold plated!

nachiva
10-24-2015, 04:28 PM
To the best of our knowledge DMC never built a painted Delorean. They DID experiment with paint though. There is a test panel that DMCH has with several different colors on it. Future plans were to offer a program where you would go to a dealer and they would exchange your panels for others of a different color. That way, if you got tired of your car you could change it to a different color quickly, all of the panels can be changed because they are all bolted on, none are welded like most cars. Deloreans got painted 2 ways. When DMC went under and many dealers had them on their lots, they thought they could sell them faster if they were painted, like other cars. The other way was if a panel was damaged (for a while after DMC failed replacement parts were not available) the body shop fixed the damage with Bondo and painted the whole car to cover it up. Don't forget the 3 AMEX cars (actually 2 and the parts for a 3rd) that were gold plated!

Yes I came across the gold plated ones which also stimulated my interest in these other particular painted vehicles, so even the T - roof panel is bolt on and off? ?
That is such a cool way to change colour, well thought out and future proofing, way ahead of time.

I remember many year back someone once produced an aluminium car, based a little on the old Ford Anglia. It was apparently immediately squashed by government/other vehicle manufacturers.
I think because it could last so long, not rust etc etc and of course jeopardise the existing automotive industries :-)

Dangermouse
06-28-2016, 03:55 PM
The black/gold car has reappeared on CL - $30k

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5656370946.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00f0f_lSOgQvazx8M_1200x900.jpg

looks to be a genuine ad and real car, with modern looking cars in the background.

Domi
06-28-2016, 04:42 PM
I wonder which VIN number is it, looks like an '82
More pic would pic nice :)
Anyway, thanks for sharing this add ;)

Dangermouse
06-28-2016, 05:10 PM
click on the link Domi, there are several more there, until the add disappears.

I think it's 10540

Domi
06-29-2016, 08:33 AM
Yes I did, but you know I like pictures, a few more would be great :hihi:
Thanks for the VIN information ;)

louielouie2000
06-29-2016, 09:28 AM
Gotta love that we are in a world now where people ask $30,000 for a non-running painted DeLorean. :giddy:

Kherns
06-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Looks like it needs also torsion bars or doors struts...

dodint
07-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Custom painted in Black & Tan 'from the factory' but it has gray interior?

No accounting for taste I guess.

Pizza Joe
08-23-2016, 12:32 AM
I recently got ahold of this car and am in the process of getting it back on the road. I was not aware that this car may have belonged to John Delorean's brother, in till after we already had it. It did come with the original window sticker from Delorean Cadillac. There was also a letterhead from the dealership that had listed all the paints used on the car. There was also a poster and information sheets that one of the previous owners displayed on the car, while at shows, stating that it belonged to, and was custom painted for JZD's brother. This does not necessarily prove it was John Delorean's brothers personal car, but it seems weird someone would advertise that, if it were not true.

Though its not a deal breaker for me, I would like to authenticate the prior ownership. If anyone knows any other information on this cars history, or could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

louielouie2000
08-23-2016, 08:56 AM
DeLorean Cadillac simply painted dozens of DeLoreans in order to sell them. You'll see all sorts of interesting color and stripe combinations in those cars. To the best of my knowledge they only belonged to Charles DeLorean in the aspect that they were part of his dealership inventory.

Here are examples of some of his painted DeLorean creations:

http://blog.1aauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/bluedelorean.jpg

http://blog.1aauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Candy-Apple-Red-Delorean_3.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1142/5133799903_2e6077c023.jpg

SamHill
08-23-2016, 10:01 AM

We're learning new things all the time, though. It looks as though some cars were designated for paint by contractors once they reached QAC.

Ras12
08-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Blue one is mine, 10350, and is now back to her stainless glory!