PDA

View Full Version : Bringing back the BF Goodrich Radial TA in a 195/60/14

sdg3205
10-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Hey folks,

There is a tiny glimmer of hope that BFG is looking into the feasibility of relaunching the Radial TA in a 195/60/14, which would once again give us a nice, high-quality matched pair. After asking them for a few years, I finally got a response back saying that BFG was aware of the situation with DeLoreans and that the marketing team was looking into the possibility.

It can't hurt for everyone to write an email to BF Goodrich to reinforce the need and demand for a matched pair for our car, and that we'd love BFG to be the brand to do it. I'm a long time supporter of BFG, I've run a lot of their tires over the years and they've always been the best IMO. Moreover, I love the way the Radial TA looks on the DeLorean.

Take a few minutes and let the good people at BFG know how important this is for you, for originality, performance and safety's sake!!

canada (https://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/contact-us.page)

usa (https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/contact-us.page)

Gregadeth
10-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Done

davidc89
10-14-2015, 02:11 PM
I sent mine in as well. We should send an email the same day once a month. For example, the first Monday of the month or whatever. Persistence pays off!

sdg3205
10-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Can someone also over on DMC Today start a similar thread?

sdg3205
10-14-2015, 02:23 PM
It would really be great if a vendor or two could fire off an email too, just stating how many tires they alone change out a year.

Domi
10-14-2015, 02:48 PM
It would be great it front & rear would be available with white letters :thumbup2:

Josh
10-14-2015, 02:49 PM
This would be wonderful.

sdg3205
10-14-2015, 02:51 PM
It would be great it front & rear would be available with white letters :thumbup2:

Yup, BFG Radial TA's all came with the RWL on one side. We'd all win.

Rich W
10-14-2015, 03:12 PM

I have been using an old set of Goodyear Eagle ST's (RWL) on my Prop Car, but new sets of BFG Radial TA's
would mean that there would be more older sets being retired, which I could use "for display purposes only".

Morpheus
10-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Done!

Project Vixen
10-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Done as well. Thanks for the heads-up.

mluder
10-14-2015, 04:12 PM

RAISED WHITE LETTERS!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Steve

Lenny
10-14-2015, 04:54 PM
I filled out the contact info. Here is what I put for my comments.

I have a 1981 DeLorean. It is difficult to find matching tires. We, the owners, cannot find 195/60/14 and 235/60HR-15 matching tires. A couple of things you may not know.
1. There are a series of DeLorean Dealers across the county. The headquarters is 15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396
2. Next Wednesday 10/21/2015 is Back to the Future day, the day that Doc and Marty came to in Back to the Future II.

If you wanted some good free press you could announce that BF Goodrich was manufacturing tires just in time for Doc and Marty to get back home

Morpheus
10-14-2015, 05:12 PM
^Nice!

Michael
10-14-2015, 05:25 PM
Can someone also over on DMC Today start a similar thread?

Why don't you?

mluder
10-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Here's what I sent...

"Hi. I'm the owner of a 1981 DeLorean and am in the market for some new tires. As with many things I buy, I prefer to buy from an American company. Unfortunately BF Goodrich N no longer manufactures matching tires to fit my car.

Is there any possibility you are going to bring back the Radial TA in a 195/60/14 size? If so, I know myself and the thousands of DeLorean owners would be very excited. As it stands today there are no companies offering matched sets of the 195/60/14 fronts and 235/60/15. You have the opportunity to be the number one supplier for this market.

Thanks and I look forward to an opportunity to purchase from you in the future.
Steven Maguire
VIN 4456"

sdg3205
10-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Why don't you?

My membership was never approved.

iflights
10-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Done

Michael
10-14-2015, 07:01 PM
My membership was never approved.

Very odd. PM me your user name there and I will look into it.

davidc89
10-14-2015, 07:45 PM
We need to keep this going until they grow tired of us. Sorry I had to...

DMC-81
10-14-2015, 08:22 PM
Done. Thanks for leading the way Dave!

Lenny
10-14-2015, 08:34 PM
Dave,
Have you posted this on the DeLorean's Facebook page? I'm not sure if there are owners there who aren't here or not?

mr_maxime
10-14-2015, 08:35 PM
Done

Gregadeth
10-14-2015, 08:45 PM
We need to keep this going until they grow tired of us. Sorry I had to...
...and even if it doesn't work out, at least we tired our best? :thankyou:

sdg3205
10-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Good call. I'll post it on Facebook too. I'm going to retry my dmctoday login and get it going over there too

vwdmc16
10-14-2015, 11:59 PM
That would be awesome if they brought back that size, but what i would rather have is a company like Toyo to begin producing sizes for our cars in their awesome sport summer tires.

AugustneverEnds
10-15-2015, 07:04 AM
One more request from a D driver sent in

dblincoln3
10-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Done.

sdg3205
10-15-2015, 12:00 PM
A member of Dmc today got a "sorry but no" response back from BFG. They recommended we approach Coker tire. I've emailed them PLENTY in years past and didn't get a response, so I wouldn't count on Coker.

This effort most likely won't result in any tires for us and I think we understand that, but vocalizing our interest can't hurt one bit. Like Jonathan said, Andy Dufresne.

DavidProehl
10-15-2015, 12:27 PM
Done!

davidc89
10-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Of course they are going to say that. That's why we need to keep requesting it. Never give up, never surrender!

DMCVegas
10-15-2015, 01:07 PM
A member of Dmc today got a "sorry but no" response back from BFG. They recommended we approach Coker tire. I've emailed them PLENTY in years past and didn't get a response, so I wouldn't count on Coker.

This effort most likely won't result in any tires for us and I think we understand that, but vocalizing our interest can't hurt one bit. Like Jonathan said, Andy Dufresne.

Don't know how true it is, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. The marque has certainly come a long way, but thanks to the almost retard IQ level of the average member of the American public, it's still too toxic for major corporations to ever be associated with. I'm pretty sure that's why DMC was immediately dismissed in favor of the "sure to fail" Fisker when it came to taking over the old Delaware plant. Why save jobs and an entire local economy when we can just ensure we don't receive any bad PR from being associated with DeLorean? Same thing here. Any mainstream company that ever partners with the DMC marque runs the risk of their brand being associated with the old one from 3 decades ago. Sad, but it's the way it goes.

Oh well.

Victor
10-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Are they the ones that leaves flames marks? (very bad joke)

Done too.

Thank you Dave for to have paved the road, even though ''where we're going, we don't need road'' (even worst joke, sorry, lol)

mluder
10-15-2015, 03:22 PM
A member of Dmc today got a "sorry but no" response back from BFG. They recommended we approach Coker tire.

I got the same response this morning...

Cheers
Steven

Morpheus
10-15-2015, 05:36 PM
I got this response:

Brandon, we apologize the BFGoodrich Radial T/A in size P195/60/14 tires have been discontinued and stock is not available for retailers to order. We appreciate the request for the discontinued tire and will forward the information to the appropriate Marketing Group for future consideration.

This was considerably nicer than what some others have received. Perhaps they would like some more pestering.

davidc89
10-15-2015, 06:00 PM
And more pestering we shall give them!

#195/60R14tiresmatter

DMC-81
10-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Here is the response that I got...

We appreciate your request for Radial T/A tires in size 195/60/14. Coker Tire specializes in antique and classic tire fitments. Please contact Coker Tire at 1-866-591-3418 or visit their website at cokertire.com for possible availability and/or pricing. Also, Coker Tire, our exclusive Michelin & BFGoodrich Vintage tire distributor can be found on the Michelin Passion web site. This site is dedicated to Michelin's Vintage tire Collection. Visit www.michelin-passion.com. Unfortunately, we do not have information regarding if our Marketing Department is interested in manufacturing this tire.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing BFGoodrich.

DMCMW Dave
10-15-2015, 08:47 PM
If I was going to pick a good tire to bring back in the original sizes, I'd ask for the Michelin Pilot Sports that were available up to about 9 years ago.

mr_maxime
10-15-2015, 08:56 PM
I got this "We appreciate your request for tires Maxime. Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate Marketing Group for future consideration."

cpistocco
10-15-2015, 09:30 PM
I got this "We appreciate your request for tires Maxime. Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate Marketing Group for future consideration."

205's guys.... :)

FABombjoy
10-16-2015, 11:10 AM
If I was going to pick a good tire to bring back in the original sizes, I'd ask for the Michelin Pilot Sports that were available up to about 9 years ago.
Yes this, not older tire tech.

If we're really dreaming, a set of bona-fide summer tires like the Pilot Super Sport would be the most preferable.

sdg3205
10-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Yes this, not older tire tech.

If we're really dreaming, a set of bona-fide summer tires like the Pilot Super Sport would be the most preferable.

Feel free to get the ball rolling. I'll contribute.

FABombjoy
10-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately I think there's too much pipe in that dream. The percentage of owners even interested in such a thing is probably very very very slim.

I just can't forsee a high sidewall profile, small wheel diameter, low treadwear, summer only tire ever being made unless someone brought gangster money to the table. Especially in a matching set.

I have a set of the Pilot Sports and have been very happy with them, but I can still lock them up with little effort. I will probably +size the wheels and go with 205/245 next summer. If by some crazy miracle a matching set appeared I would probably keep the stock wheels.

sdg3205
10-16-2015, 11:30 AM
I am prepared to run the same drills with Michelin. Given how little time it takes to write an email, it's almost foolish not to try. We can't get upset over a lack of oem sized matched pairs of we are not prepared to put in a little effort. Plus, the effort is kinda rad. How great would it be to have a manufacturer say "you know what, we can help" and know that it was a result of your communities effort. We're lucky as Dmc owners to have such an abundance of parts and support, perhaps we've gotten a little lazy in going the extra mile, myself included.

NJP548
10-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Just received the following response from BF Goodrich:

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Just curious what the minimum commitment of tires you would need to bring back the 195/60/14 radial TA? The DeLorean community is very strong and there is a desire to have a matching set of all four tires. If the minimum is around 1000 tires (500 cars) that may be feasible. Please let me know.
We appreciate your interest in the Radial T/A line of BFGoodrich tires, Nick. We do not have a specific minimum commitment of tires that would need to be reached before consideration of bringing a tire back into the market.

However, your request to see the Radial T/A in a size 196/60R14 be brought back into production will be forwarded to the appropriate marketing groups for future consideration.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Nicholas
Consumer Care Department
Certified BFGoodrich Product Expert

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

sdg3205
10-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Yes! By now that customer service team is defiantly saying "WTF is with all these DeLorean guys?! Where did they come from?!!!"

NJP548
10-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Dave,

I also just called them. I told the rep that we will just continue sending in emails. He said that would push them to make the tires. Their Marketing department needs to see the demand for these tires and they will eventually make them if we keep pushing.

I'm sure most people could just set themselves a weekly reminder in their calendar with a copy/paste email that they could send out every week. With enough pressure, they will listen.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

sdg3205
10-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Nice, Nick! That's the most hopeful feedback yet.

NJP548
10-16-2015, 12:09 PM
No problem, Dave.

I'm doing this purely for selfish reasons! I don't currently have a DeLorean (used to own two years ago), but I'm currently saving up for another one. I'd like the tires to be available when I eventually need them.

I'll continue to send emails weekly.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

davidc89
10-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately I think there's too much pipe in that dream. The percentage of owners even interested in such a thing is probably very very very slim.

I just can't forsee a high sidewall profile, small wheel diameter, low treadwear, summer only tire ever being made unless someone brought gangster money to the table. Especially in a matching set.

I have a set of the Pilot Sports and have been very happy with them, but I can still lock them up with little effort. I will probably +size the wheels and go with 205/245 next summer. If by some crazy miracle a matching set appeared I would probably keep the stock wheels.

It doesn't hurt to try!

Lenny
10-16-2015, 01:49 PM
I finally got my response I was feeling left out.
10/16/2015
Hello Leonard,

I have a 1981 DeLorean. It is difficult to find matching tires. We, the owners, cannot find 195/60/14 and 235/60HR-15 matching tires. A couple of things you may not know.
1. There are a series of DeLorean Dealers across the county. The headquarters is 15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396
2. Next Wednesday 10/21/2015 is Back to the Future day, the day that Doc and Marty came to in Back to the Future II.

If you wanted some good free press you could announce that BF Goodrich was manufacturing tires just in time for Doc and Marty to get back home.

We appreciate your request for tire size P195/60R14. Unfortunately, Leonard, we do not manufacture this tire. Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate Marketing Group for future consideration.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Sue
Consumer Care Department

Domi
10-16-2015, 02:37 PM
I am prepared to run the same drills with Michelin.

Someone on the French forum knows a person who work at Michelin France, and for now no luck to see someday a brand new tire matching our size :(
Nevertheless, maybe the USA branch could be interested, who knows???

ssdelorean
10-16-2015, 03:08 PM

Ditto. Great tire.

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Exalto 195-60-14 front 225-60-15 rear.
We could just campaign Michelin to make the 235-60-15 size instead of bringing a discontinued tire back to life. Might be easier to persuade?

sdg3205
10-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Ditto. Great tire.

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Exalto 195-60-14 front 225-60-15 rear.
We could just campaign Michelin to make the 235-60-15 size instead of bringing a discontinued tire back to life. Might be easier to persuade?

Neither tire is discontinued. Both are discontinued only in our size

mluder
10-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Based on the response that Lenny got It's pretty obvious by the way the responses have been worded that we're getting "answer card" responses. In other words, some min. wage worker that works in their call center is receiving the emails, types a few key words from the e-mail into a database and it spits out a canned answer which they cut and paste into the response. Lenny mentioned press surrounding the BTTF anniversary and got a reference to their marketing department in the response... If I recall his was the only one so far that mentioned their marketing department.

It's unlikely we'll get satisfaction this way. It's going to take someone like Josh, James, Stephen, etc. to open a dialogue with a sales rep from Goodrich to get any real discussion going.

Cheers
Steven

DMCVegas
10-16-2015, 03:53 PM
You know what? I'd just settle for some 5-lug hubs so that I could get some decent aftermarket wheels to fit some lower profile tires to get the same matching circumferences. That or tweels.

I guess this is why Doc Brown had his DeLorean converted to hover everywhere in 2015 instead of drive...

...he couldn't find any damned tires in the future.

Welcome to 2015 everybody!

NJP548
10-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Based on the response that Lenny got It's pretty obvious by the way the responses have been worded that we're getting "answer card" responses. In other words, some min. wage worker that works in their call center is receiving the emails, types a few key words from the e-mail into a database and it spits out a canned answer which they cut and paste into the response. Lenny mentioned press surrounding the BTTF anniversary and got a reference to their marketing department in the response... If I recall his was the only one so far that mentioned their marketing department.

It's unlikely we'll get satisfaction this way. It's going to take someone like Josh, James, Stephen, etc. to open a dialogue with a sales rep from Goodrich to get any real discussion going.

Cheers
Steven

Steven,

I also was given a response back referencing their marketing department and my email to them had nothing to do with BTTF. When they say marketing, its not for advertisements or something of that nature. They have a team of people that determines the market of their tires and builds them to that market.

It's not their ad agency department or anything like that.

For reference, below is the email I received from BF Goodrich this morning:

Hello Nick,

Just curious what the minimum commitment of tires you would need to bring back the 195/60/14 radial TA? The DeLorean community is very strong and there is a desire to have a matching set of all four tires. If the minimum is around 1000 tires (500 cars) that may be feasible. Please let me know.
We appreciate your interest in the Radial T/A line of BFGoodrich tires, Nick. We do not have a specific minimum commitment of tires that would need to be reached before consideration of bringing a tire back into the market.

However, your request to see the Radial T/A in a size 196/60R14 be brought back into production will be forwarded to the appropriate marketing groups for future consideration.

Sincerely,
Nicholas
Consumer Care Department

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

mluder
10-16-2015, 04:29 PM
I stand corrected...

Cheers
Steve

micmak
10-16-2015, 05:09 PM
I think we might be having a bit of an impact. Whether or not it will convince them to make our tires remains to be seen, but I think this reply was better than a negative response:

Thank you for contacting BFGoodrich. We apologize for the inconvenience. Due to extremely high email volumes, you may receive a delay in response time of up to 2-5 business days. If your issue is more pressing, please call us at 1-888-871-6666 and we will be glad to assist you.

The e-mail also had this in the subject line: Case number:6895255

Why would they have a case number if they were just going to say "NO" to me?

....Mike.....

DMCVegas
10-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Well then. Let's start reaching out to everyone. We know we have Cooper, Yokohama, and Bridgestone as the last companies that made our tire sizes. And we do have Coker. What about just putting together a list of contact information, and email blasting several different tire manufacturers?

Lenny
10-16-2015, 05:30 PM
I posted basiclly the same thing on Michelin's website. I only added that I currently have Pilots on the car and would like to replace them with the same tire.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/contact.html

mluder
10-18-2015, 04:50 AM
I think we might be having a bit of an impact. Whether or not it will convince them to make our tires remains to be seen, but I think this reply was better than a negative response:

Thank you for contacting BFGoodrich. We apologize for the inconvenience. Due to extremely high email volumes, you may receive a delay in response time of up to 2-5 business days. If your issue is more pressing, please call us at 1-888-871-6666 and we will be glad to assist you.

....Mike.....

Sorry... That's the automated canned response everyone got that submitted a question... A day or two from now you'll get the actual response.

Cheers
Steven

TTait
10-20-2015, 07:26 PM
Mine read:

Please assist with providing tires for my 1983 Delorean DMC12.

Please consider putting the Radial TA in a 195/60/14 back into production, we have no good choices for matched tires anymore. With 6500 cars still in existence and no other manufacturer offering support, and assuming a 6-7 year life on the tires, you are looking at a potential average market of up to 2000 tires per year for this size, while guaranteeing you a matching 2000 tires per year for the rears, which are currently still available from your company.

4000 tires per year isn't bad, plus you would be supporting a car that gets A LOT of attention wherever it goes. Everyone looks at the car, takes pictures, and scrutinizes it.

On top of the Delorean, obviously other vehicles would use the tire as well. When you discontinued the tire there were other options, if your return the tire to production, your sales would be much higher than the final year of previous production. Please help.

Thanks,

Tom

sdg3205
10-21-2015, 12:30 AM
Nicely said, Tom.

NJP548
10-21-2015, 09:14 AM
I set myself a reminder to send the following email every Monday:

BF Goodrich Marketing Team,

I'm one of several DeLorean owners that has the desire to have matching tires for our cars. Currently, only our rear wheels (235/60/15) are available in the Radial T/A. We are asking that you bring back the 195/60/14 sized Radial T/A.

There are several thousand DeLoreans on the road today. This car has a very strong following across various platforms (Facebook,Forums,Clubs, and several Dealer franchises - www.delorean.com).

We are a very close-knit group that would like to keep our cars on the road. Having the proper sized and model tire is a very large part of that.

We are giving you the opportunity to making several thousand DeLorean owners into long-term customers.

Please remember that all of these people also own other vehicles that could eventually use new tires as well.
If you help us here, we will be more than willing to return the favor and buy tires for our other cars.

Please put all of this into consideration when you think about what we are asking here.

In the reply I received yesterday, they said the following:
Nick, we checked our records and find this is the third time you have sent this request. If you had not received an answer to the previous emails, please check your spam or junk email folders.

So it does appear that they acknowledge our repeated emails. I'll keep sending these emails.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

cpistocco
10-21-2015, 11:02 PM
205's guys !! BF's

cpistocco
10-21-2015, 11:25 PM
205's guys !! BF's

I applaud you guys for your efforts, BUT I think you are beating a dead horse with the 195 ta's. The 205s are just 5 mms wider on either side, and just a bit taller.
They work fine. ( I would just like it stated for the record that my son and I were the first to do it !!! :) )

rdarlington
10-22-2015, 01:40 AM
Unfortunately, 2000 or 4000 tires a year isn't their market. 200,000 to a million a year is.

-Bob

DMCVegas
10-22-2015, 09:56 AM

....Mike.....

Because now some dimwitted hack who can barely operate an iPhone, yet managed to Forrest Gump their way through a few University of Phoenix courses to obtain an MBA can proudly proclaim that their Customer Service website is working by proof of all of the "Case Numbers" that it has generated for the *inquires* the site has received. And a bunch of board members who know so little about technology that they keep writing their passwords down on Post-It notes they stick to their monitors will believe them because they sound so confident.

mluder
10-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Has any one run 215s in the front. Goodrich makes a Radial T/A in that width but I'm pretty sure it will cause some rubbing issues on the anti-roll bar in a full lock turn. Probably not enough to damage the tire but????

Cheers
Steven

mr_maxime
10-22-2015, 04:09 PM
215s came on my car when i bought it. they definitely rubbed.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/mr_maxime/Delorean/20150403_124535_zpsjdv0skcz.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/mr_maxime/media/Delorean/20150403_124535_zpsjdv0skcz.jpg.html)

DMCMW Dave
10-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Has any one run 215s in the front. Goodrich makes a Radial T/A in that width but I'm pretty sure it will cause some rubbing issues on the anti-roll bar in a full lock turn. Probably not enough to damage the tire but????

Cheers
Steven

Will definitely hit the sway bar at full lock. Not a big deal, you don't often do that at more than parking lot speed.

BUT

At close to full lock, if you hit a bump (such as going up a driveway) on a LOWERED car, and it can happen at pretty low speed, the tire can hit the fender opening and actually buckle the fender. Have seen this in person.

mluder
10-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Will definitely hit the sway bar at full lock. Not a big deal, you don't often do that at more than parking lot speed.

BUT

At close to full lock, if you hit a bump (such as going up a driveway) on a LOWERED car, and it can happen at pretty low speed, the tire can hit the fender opening and actually buckle the fender. Have seen this in person.

That's good to know... My car isn't lowered now but it's on my list of wants.

Steve

micmak
10-23-2015, 07:54 AM
205's guys !! BF's

Is this an available option and if so, are there any downsides to that size tire? If 215 can cause the problems that Dave describes, is 205 much different?

......Mike......

cpistocco
10-23-2015, 11:27 PM

Cheers
Steven

I give up.

cpistocco
10-23-2015, 11:32 PM
Is this an available option and if so, are there any downsides to that size tire? If 215 can cause the problems that Dave describes, is 205 much different?

......Mike......

A 205 is the next size up from a 195. The 215 is two sizes up. Again, a 205 is only 10 millimeters wider than a 195. That is equal to 5mm on either side. 5 mm is equal to aprox a quarter inch. They are a bit higher too. But I think that they actually look better on a raised car.

mluder
10-25-2015, 07:43 PM
I give up.

I am hearing you just fine... :smile: However the 205s do't come with raised white letters and that's my goal.

Cheers
Steve

cpistocco
10-26-2015, 10:39 PM
I am hearing you just fine... :smile: However the 205s do't come with raised white letters and that's my goal.

Cheers
Steve

Of course they do... This has been my whole point!! (see photo) :)

mluder
10-27-2015, 01:11 AM
205's guys.... :)

Not anymore then... The 205/60 only come in 15" and 16" rim sizes according to BF Goodrich's website.

Cheers
Steven

iflights
10-27-2015, 09:24 AM
I'm going to grab all the positive DeLorean press from the last week and send it in to BF Goodrich with a request for them to re-consider bringing them back.

cpistocco
10-27-2015, 09:54 PM
I just bought a set of BF Raised white 205 14's recently. ????????????? Did they discontinue them within the last year?

mluder
10-28-2015, 02:38 AM
I just bought a set of BF Raised white 205 14's recently. ????????????? Did they discontinue them within the last year?

According to the BF Goodrich site the Radial T/A are not available as 205/60/14s... you can get them with a different aspect ratio as 205/70/14s. Maybe that's what you're running. You might want to check.
What are you running in back? Standard 235/60/15s or maybe 235/70/15s to match if your running 70s up front???

Cheers
Steven

davidc89
10-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Are voice is being heard!

We appreciate your request for the Radial T/A P195/60R14. Unfortunately, David, we do not manufacture this tire. Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate Marketing Group for future consideration.

For your information, we have been receiving several requests for these tires. All these requests are forwarded to the correct department.

NJP548
10-28-2015, 02:40 PM
That's the first reference I've seen that they say that they have received several requests. I have a weekly reminder set on my phone to send the same exact email every Monday.

I guess I'll keep doing that!

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

Mark D
10-28-2015, 03:44 PM
What we really need to do is cut out the middle man and find out who's in charge of the marketing department that our requests are being forwarded to. Then we can contact that group directly and get some actual feedback besides "we've forwarded your request".

EDIT:

Anybody on LinkedIn?

This guy may be helpful:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/duanethomas

Or more likely:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/caseypmorris

My passion is understanding the full consumer journey, the various touch points and interactions between them, and building premium experiences that help move the consumer through the purchase cycle and build brand affinity and long-term loyalty in the process.

iflights
10-28-2015, 03:53 PM
or
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/carrie-woodward/4/3b0/31b?trk=pub-pbmap

DMCVegas
10-28-2015, 05:09 PM
Ferreting out people's direct contact information via the Internet in order to get what you want...

https://i.imgflip.com/k28zr.jpg

Seriously, all of you! :grouphugg:

This will be a story for the ages of that time when a company that didn't even have a product on the market yet, but said product was so in demand that customers started tracking down the personal information of the marketing team in order to get said product made when the traditional marketing channels were not working fast enough.

mluder
10-28-2015, 07:41 PM
That's the first reference I've seen that they say that they have received several requests. I have a weekly reminder set on my phone to send the same exact email every Monday.

I guess I'll keep doing that!

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

Or that means they're getting annoyed and would like you to ask your friends to stop sending inquiries. :D

Cheers
Steve

davidc89
10-28-2015, 07:47 PM
Persistence pays off.

davidc89
10-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Ferreting out people's direct contact information via the Internet in order to get what you want...

https://i.imgflip.com/k28zr.jpg

Seriously, all of you! :grouphugg:

This will be a story for the ages of that time when a company that didn't even have a product on the market yet, but said product was so in demand that customers started tracking down the personal information of the marketing team in order to get said product made when the traditional marketing channels were not working fast enough.

DMCVegas
10-28-2015, 10:45 PM

Oh I'm quite serious.

Rich
10-29-2015, 12:09 AM
This is the same answer I got earlier this year by email from Michelin USA about again offering the Pilots they stopped making in matched DeLorean OE sizes about 10 years ago.

Polite & encouraging but not a commitment. And nothing from them since then...

We appreciate your request for the Radial T/A P195/60R14. Unfortunately, David, we do not manufacture this tire. Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate Marketing Group for future consideration.

For your information, we have been receiving several requests for these tires. All these requests are forwarded to the correct department.

cpistocco
10-31-2015, 01:22 AM
According to the BF Goodrich site the Radial T/A are not available as 205/60/14s... you can get them with a different aspect ratio as 205/70/14s. Maybe that's what you're running. You might want to check.
What are you running in back? Standard 235/60/15s or maybe 235/70/15s to match if your running 70s up front???

Cheers
Steven

Yes- I do believe that mine are 70's in front...Which would make the tire a bit taller. But again, we are dealing only in Millimeters. My rears are stock size. No matter how you slice it, what I did works. :) It is important to understand what tire sizes really mean. Most people do not understand what those numbers stand for...

mluder
10-31-2015, 07:00 PM
Yes- I do believe that mine are 70's in front...Which would make the tire a bit taller. But again, we are dealing only in Millimeters. My rears are stock size. No matter how you slice it, what I did works. :) It is important to understand what tire sizes really mean. Most people do not understand what those numbers stand for...

True... But unless my math and understanding is wrong the second number is the aspect ratio - Height of sidewall to width of tire. In this case the difference between a 60 and a 70 is actually about 2 cm - probably still not noticeable. I might go 70s in front and back so as to keep all things equal.

Cheers
Steven

sdg3205
04-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Update coming soon.

NJP548
04-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Just wanted to add that I have been sending an email to BF Goodrich every Monday since the start of this thread.

I have gotten basically the same answer, but I figured it was good to be persistent.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

papanoel
04-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Update coming soon.

Cryptic tease...

Morpheus
04-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Update coming soon.

Ambiguous post is ambiguous.

sdg3205
04-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Ambiguous post is ambiguous.

Really? Seems pretty self explanitory to me. Allow me to clarify;

I'll have an update shortly in regards to our request to have BFG revive the 195/60/14. I'm hunting down one last lead.

Domi
04-12-2016, 02:37 PM
Good news :)

sdg3205
04-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Good news :)

Well, maybe. But I figured it was time for some news, either good or bad.

DMCVegas
04-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Really? Seems pretty self explanitory to me. Allow me to clarify;

I'll have an update shortly in regards to our request to have BFG revive the 195/60/14. I'm hunting down one last lead.

Well if you need help in hunting someone down, I'm sure the community can help. If we can track down self-entitled idiots who sit on cars, I'm sure we can pinpoint someone who would have tires for us.

papanoel
04-13-2016, 12:47 AM
Hoping it's good news.

FPBBrandon
04-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Emailed BFG another request for good measure.

cpistocco
04-13-2016, 10:41 PM

205 60 14 bfg rwl

sdg3205
04-13-2016, 10:51 PM

205 60 14 bfg rwl

Any rubbing?

Michael
04-14-2016, 07:47 PM

205 60 14 bfg rwl

Those look good! I think I have found my next set of tires. They are still 235 in the rear correct?

Eagerly awaiting the answer on the rubbing question, also what suspension setup do you run? Looks stock.

cpistocco
04-15-2016, 12:39 AM
Any rubbing?

never..... (although I don't drive the car hard).

cpistocco
04-15-2016, 12:40 AM
Those look good! I think I have found my next set of tires. They are still 235 in the rear correct?

Eagerly awaiting the answer on the rubbing question, also what suspension setup do you run? Looks stock.

Everything is stock......except the front tire size...

Josh
04-15-2016, 11:57 AM

245s fit great on the rear.

Lenny
04-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Well, maybe. But I figured it was time for some news, either good or bad.

I was prepping my car last week for Celebration and noticed that my front tires are getting really worn, to the point I'm worried about driving very much now.

I'm going to have to do something soon.

I'm going to hold out till you have something definitive either way.

papanoel
04-18-2016, 01:44 AM

205 60 14 bfg rwl

Can't find any palace with those in stock.

mluder
04-18-2016, 02:10 AM

205 60 14 bfg rwl

Don't you mean 205 70 14 ?
They don't make a 205 60 in a 14 sized rim.

Cheers
Steven

davidc89
05-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Update coming soon.

Dave....

Mark D
05-03-2016, 12:09 PM
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=41837&d=1462291725

Michael
05-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Daisy. Daisy....

DMCVegas
05-03-2016, 05:21 PM
At first I was going to be like, "Any minute now, those tires will be here..."

http://static.rogerebert.com/redactor_assets/pictures/scanners/prometheus-alien-originsthe-skeleton-beneath-the-exoskeleton/2001old-thumb-510x239-48949.jpg

But let's instead remain optimistic and go with the triple irony of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5HA-umweZ0

Polaristriple3
05-05-2016, 01:35 PM
I have a set of original tires, no dry rot, most of the tread left. Anyone looking for the original look? Im willing to sell them.

sdg3205
05-05-2016, 01:39 PM
I have a set of original tires, no dry rot, most of the tread left. Anyone looking for the original look? Im willing to sell them.

Hi there. Wrong thread. Please start a for sale thread and follow the Seller rules.

sdg3205
05-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Dave....

Hah. Hi David. I know, it's driving me crazy too.

cpistocco
05-08-2016, 12:35 PM
True... But unless my math and understanding is wrong the second number is the aspect ratio - Height of sidewall to width of tire. In this case the difference between a 60 and a 70 is actually about 2 cm - probably still not noticeable. I might go 70s in front and back so as to keep all things equal.

Cheers
Steven

Remember, too, that whatever the difference is, we must split it in half..... ( It is a wheel, after all). It is the diameter and width that we are concerned with.

Lenny
06-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Update coming soon.

Any news either way?

sdg3205
06-10-2016, 11:02 PM
There was suppose to be some progress but instead more road blocks. It's hard to push when some people in the right places are doing you a favour. I still have my fingers crossed and I'll keep everyone posted.

mizemaze
01-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Any news about the tires?

I have 255/60-15 tires at back. Good condition Cooper Cobra G/T.

At front I have 195/60-14 Kumho regular tires.

These were on it when I bought the car few months ago.

I really need to do something with them!

While BF Goodrich is not making the size 205/60-14 does anyone have a photo with 205/70-14 in front? And if there is what should be the size at the back?

My car is not lowered, stock height...

Andrew
01-17-2017, 05:01 PM

While BF Goodrich is not making the size 205/60-14 does anyone have a photo with 205/70-14 in front? And if there is what should be the size at the back?

Do the 255's on the back give you any clearance problems?

Morpheus
02-09-2017, 04:06 PM
There was suppose to be some progress but instead more road blocks. It's hard to push when some people in the right places are doing you a favour. I still have my fingers crossed and I'll keep everyone posted.

Any updates, Dave?

Morpheus
02-09-2017, 04:25 PM
I just sent this to Michelin:

Hi. I'm the owner of a 1981 DeLorean and am in the market for some new tires. Unfortunately, Michelin no longer manufactures matching tires to fit my car, but the company did about 10 years ago.

Is there any possibility you could bring back the Pilot Sport line in a 195/60/14 and 235/60/15 size? If so, I know myself and the thousands of other DeLorean owners would be very excited. As it stands now, there are no tire companies offering matched sets of the front and rear sizes. If your company could consider this opportunity, Michelin would be the number one tire supplier for this market and help ensure that owners of these unique cars are able to continue driving and enjoying them!

We'll see what happens. Feel free to copy/paste and do the same on their site:
http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/contact.html

DMCVegas
02-09-2017, 06:32 PM
Why BF Goodrich? Goodyear is the OEM who might still have the molds (albeit in Europe), and there were other tire and rubber companies that made matching sizes in the past too.

Just wondering.

sdg3205
02-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Why BF Goodrich? Goodyear is the OEM who might still have the molds (albeit in Europe), and there were other tire and rubber companies that made matching sizes in the past too.

Just wondering.

To be honest, they are my favourite brand for a number of reasons plus i love the way they looked on the delorean. I suppose that makes it a selfish reason, but i figured it i spearheaded the cause i could choose the manufacturer.

I was talking to the owner of Classic Car Adventures up here in BC. He had contacts at BFG in Europe and offered to help get the ball rolling, hence this thread. Not surprisingly, nothing came of it.

louielouie2000
02-09-2017, 08:06 PM
To me, it makes the most sense to campaign for the return of the front tire size of the BF Goodrich for multiple reasons:

1. The rear size for DeLoreans is still in production
2. These tires give those who want it a raised white letters option (think BTTF folks)
3. Radial T/A's are primarily marketed towards classic vehicles, which tend to implement smaller wheel sizes (14" & 15"). So it would be advantageous for BF Goodrich to bring them back for other marques benefit as well
4. The sidewall design is clean and non-flashy, allowing the rest of the car to be the main event
5. The retro tread design is period-correct looking for the DeLorean

Yes, the Michelin Pilots were the best tires ever made for these cars, but the likelihood of getting them reproduced in the stock DeLorean sizes is pretty much nil.

Morpheus
02-10-2017, 10:47 AM
To me, it makes the most sense to campaign for the return of the front tire size of the BF Goodrich for multiple reasons:

1. The rear size for DeLoreans is still in production
2. These tires give those who want it a raised white letters option (think BTTF folks)
3. Radial T/A's are primarily marketed towards classic vehicles, which tend to implement smaller wheel sizes (14" & 15"). So it would be advantageous for BF Goodrich to bring them back for other marques benefit as well
4. The sidewall design is clean and non-flashy, allowing the rest of the car to be the main event
5. The retro tread design is period-correct looking for the DeLorean

Yes, the Michelin Pilots were the best tires ever made for these cars, but the likelihood of getting them reproduced in the stock DeLorean sizes is pretty much nil.

Louie is correct. I suppose we could also try to convince Cooper Tire to bring back the Cobra in 195/60R14 as well, since those are geared toward classic cars too.

Here's the response i got from Michelin:

We apologize but the tire has been discontinued and is no longer available.

I have forwarded your requests to the marketing group and maybe they will consider your request for the 2 sizes you need for your 1981 DeLorean in the future.

Please feel free to contact us at the number below regarding these tires or with any other questions you may have.

We hope that your issue has been resolved or addressed to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 866-866-6605 (toll-free) between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday or between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. EST on Saturday.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

Sincerely,
John
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

It was worth a shot.

Morpheus
02-10-2017, 12:52 PM
I just sent the following email to Cooper Tires:

Hello. I'm the owner of a 1981 DeLorean and am in the market for some new tires. Unfortunately, Cooper Tires no longer manufactures matching tires to fit my car, but the company did very recently. The stock sizes for the DeLorean are 195/60R14 for the front and 235/60R15 for the rear.

While the stock rear size is currently still in production, is there any possibility you could bring back the 195/60R14 size to the Cobra Radial G/T line? If so, I know myself and the thousands of other DeLorean owners would be very excited. As it stands now, there are no tire companies offering matched sets of the front and rear sizes. If your company could consider this opportunity, Cooper Tires would be the number one tire supplier for this market and help ensure that owners of these unique cars are able to continue driving and enjoying them!

Anyone who wishes to do the same can do so here: http://us.coopertire.com/Customer-Care/Contact-Us.aspx

Mark D
02-10-2017, 02:41 PM
I just sent the following email to Cooper Tires:

Anyone who wishes to do the same can do so here: http://us.coopertire.com/Customer-Care/Contact-Us.aspx

Sent!

cpistocco
02-10-2017, 11:44 PM
For the love of Pete.....use the 205 70 14....It fits fine!! :) Look at my photo.

Morpheus
02-11-2017, 09:02 AM
For the love of Pete.....use the 205 70 14....It fits fine!! :) Look at my photo.

Here's a screenshot of the available tire sizes from Cooper Tire's website. The 205s are no longer made, either.

Is your car lowered, by chance? It's kind of hard to tell with a picture the size of a postage stamp. No offense, but most owners would like to stay with the stock sizes and have a matched set not just for symmetry but also speedo accuracy. Of course, this has been well documented in this thread already.

cpistocco
02-11-2017, 10:48 PM
Here's a screenshot of the available tire sizes from Cooper Tire's website. The 205s are no longer made, either.

Is your car lowered, by chance? It's kind of hard to tell with a picture the size of a postage stamp. No offense, but most owners would like to stay with the stock sizes and have a matched set not just for symmetry but also speedo accuracy. Of course, this has been well documented in this thread already.

I am using bf Goodrich radial ta's
The difference between the stock tire size and the 205/ 70 is miniscule. BTW-My car is not lowered (unless I have a full tank of gas) :)

cpistocco
02-11-2017, 10:50 PM

I do.

Mark D
02-12-2017, 10:14 PM
The difference between the stock tire size and the 205/ 70 is miniscule.

Whoh hold up a second. The 205/70R14's are over 2" larger in diameter than the stock 195/60R14's. That's enough to rub a fender or at least contact the anti roll bar at full cramp.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48922&d=1486955504

The next size up Radial TA that is available is actually the 215/60R14. Still not ideal, but better than the 70 aspect ratio tire. The width may still be an issue with rubbing fenders.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48923&d=1486955505

cpistocco
02-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Whoh hold up a second. The 205/70R14's are over 2" larger in diameter than the stock 195/60R14's. That's enough to rub a fender or at least contact the anti roll bar at full cramp.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48922&d=1486955504

The next size up Radial TA that is available is actually the 215/60R14. Still not ideal, but better than the 70 aspect ratio tire. The width may still be an issue with rubbing fenders.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48923&d=1486955505

I am sorry .... you are correct-
my front tires are indeed 215/60/14. (I forgot) town faire tire ibm#26999. bf Goodrich radial ta. rwl.
(don't forget that you need to cut size differences in half...)
-Charlie

Mark D
02-13-2017, 01:32 PM
I am sorry .... you are correct-
my front tires are indeed 215/60/14. (I forgot) town faire tire ibm#26999. bf Goodrich radial ta. rwl.
(don't forget that you need to cut size differences in half...)
-Charlie

Do you have more photos you can share of your car with the 215/60/14's? It's the size I think most would be considering for the front if going with the BFG radial TA's.

Any close up photos or measured clearance to the fenders or anti roll bar with the wheels turned all the way would be helpful... I know you said your car isn't lowered...do you have any rubbing issues at all with the current setup?

cpistocco
02-13-2017, 09:00 PM
Do you have more photos you can share of your car with the 215/60/14's? It's the size I think most would be considering for the front if going with the BFG radial TA's.

Any close up photos or measured clearance to the fenders or anti roll bar with the wheels turned all the way would be helpful... I know you said your car isn't lowered...do you have any rubbing issues at all with the current setup?

slight rubbing on sway bar if wheels are cut hard all the way. I very rarely cut wheels that hard, and if so, always at low speeds.

mr_maxime
02-16-2017, 09:27 PM
I had 215s on the car when I bought it. They were definitely rubbing because there are black spots on the sway bar.

TheMaverick
02-17-2017, 01:14 AM
Just sent emails to all three of them (BFG, Michelin and Cooper)..

Lenny
02-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Since DMC is planning building new cars. What kind of wheels and tires are they planning on using?

cpistocco
02-19-2017, 11:46 PM
I had 215s on the car when I bought it. They were definitely rubbing because there are black spots on the sway bar.

For me, the occasional, slight rubbing is worth the good looks.... :)
Personal choice...

NJP548
02-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Since DMC is planning building new cars. What kind of wheels and tires are they planning on using?

As per the blog post from the link below:
http://www.newdelorean.com/blog/

Wheels and Tires

Also in April we had a very good meeting with a Tier 1 wheel manufacturer and were given a preview of some unreleased designs that could be made available exclusively for the DeLorean car. We also received initial costing for these new wheels in 17″and 18″ sizes (which offer the greatest tire selection). Further updates will come as this supplier relationship progresses.

ozone
02-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Hi. New to the forum but not to DeLorean ownership being the original owner of my 83 for the last 33 years which ties into this thread very nicely. You see, I am still running original NCTs. Only 10k miles or so, but they have developed some nasty flat spots. I had no idea until a few days ago how difficult it was going to be getting new tires in the right sizes. So far, I have looked at Coopers (mismatched), Goodrich (mismatched), Toyo (not correct sizes), Vanderbilt (mismatched), and Primewell (mismatched). Don't know if I can wait until someone out there makes a correct set unless it happens relatively soon. Opinions or information are welcome.

Rich
02-20-2017, 11:51 PM
....I had no idea until a few days ago how difficult it was going to be getting new tires in the right sizes. So far, I have looked at Coopers (mismatched), Goodrich (mismatched), Toyo (not correct sizes), Vanderbilt (mismatched), and Primewell (mismatched). Don't know if I can wait until someone out there makes a correct set unless it happens relatively soon. Opinions or information are welcome.

It's a popular and significant question. This thread LINK - http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7285 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7285) pretty much covers it even if it went stale more than 2yrs ago - not sure much has changed for the better since then.

As for knowing about the problem it's been going on for some time and is highlighted for prospective buyers in James Espey's Buyer's Guide to DeLorean Automobiles.

You do need to ditch the NCTs and your options are indeed limited. Downsizing the rears to 225/60-15 allows a few F/R matches, seems to be the recommended compromise for now.

mluder
02-21-2017, 11:53 AM
You do need to ditch the NCTs and your options are indeed limited. Downsizing the rears to 225/60-15 allows a few F/R matches, seems to be the recommended compromise for now.

Or upsizing the fronts also seems doable if you're careful.

Cheers
Steven

ozone
02-21-2017, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the guidance. I was ready to order a set of Vredenstein Sportrac 5's settling for the smaller 225's in the rear, but I was a bit hesitant about the price.Searching around the internet for a possible lower price landed me at eBay where I found a seller offering the fronts at $71.47 each and the rears at $108.75 each AND free shipping. Based on this, it was a no brainer. I ordered them and they should be here on Monday. The seller's username is "tires-easy". I consider this the best deal yet for performance, styling, and price.

Mark D
02-21-2017, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the guidance. I was ready to order a set of Vredenstein Sportrac 5's settling for the smaller 225's in the rear, but I was a bit hesitant about the price.Searching around the internet for a possible lower price landed me at eBay where I found a seller offering the fronts at $71.47 each and the rears at $108.75 each AND free shipping. Based on this, it was a no brainer. I ordered them and they should be here on Monday. The seller's username is "tires-easy". I consider this the best deal yet for performance, styling, and price.

Sounds like this is the ebay store for tires-easy.com. Here's what a full set costs priced out on the website. total cost is about 30 bucks more expensive than ebay for some reason.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49105&d=1487708995

Dangermouse
02-21-2017, 03:50 PM
Mark, you priced R15s for the front, btw.

Mark D
02-21-2017, 04:47 PM
Mark, you priced R15s for the front, btw.

Good catch! With the correct size fronts the cost goes down to the a few bucks cheaper than the ebay store:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49106&d=1487713635

ozone
02-21-2017, 08:05 PM
Yep. I guess I could have saved about $15 buying at the online store instead of going through eBay. No biggie. Still a screaming deal.

Morpheus
03-06-2017, 12:04 PM
I'm not familiar with the Vredestein tires, are they decent? It looks like one of the only options for a matched set, albeit with 225s in the rear. :(

SoCalDMC12
03-06-2017, 01:26 PM
I'm not familiar with the Vredestein tires, are they decent? It looks like one of the only options for a matched set, albeit with 225s in the rear. :(

I just put a set of Fusions on... matched set (with 225's on the rear).

Mark D
03-06-2017, 03:12 PM

In one of the other tire threads there are some detailed reviews. I haven't tried them personally but from how other people here have described them they seem like quality tires. The websites that sell them seem to have generally positive reviews as well.

lazabby
03-08-2017, 11:22 AM
I went to the local Discount Tires yesterday to get the tires balanced. They wouldn't touch them because the tires are from 2003 even though they are in great shape with no cracking and plenty of tread wear on them. So I probably should get new tires. :(

Mark D
03-08-2017, 01:54 PM
I went to the local Discount Tires yesterday to get the tires balanced. They wouldn't touch them because the tires are from 2003 even though they are in great shape with no cracking and plenty of tread wear on them. So I probably should get new tires. :(

Probably not a bad idea to just replace them. My rear tires are from 2001 and last year I had one of them blister out of round on my way home from DCS. I Installed my stock donut spare and it immediately went flat. Had to put the crap wheel and tire back on and limp 10 miles to nearby Lincoln, IL. Then I had to wait overnight for the local Walmart to open (on a Sunday) and install a new tire. They didn't have the correct size, so I had to put a narrower size on that still matched the OD. I think it was a 205/70R15.

It made for a crappy end to my weekend and luckily I was able to still limp along on my blown tire that didn't actually go flat. Otherwise it would have been a ride on the flat bed.

This spring I'm getting two new rear tires and new rubber for the spare.

louielouie2000
03-15-2017, 10:01 AM
So I came across these BF Goodrich tires yesterday while browsing the website of a local independent shop where I just got tires for my daily driver. While the 195/60/14 size isn't listed on BF Goodrich's website or Tire Rack's website, it is on other online tire retailers:

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/bf-goodrich/g-force-super-sport-a-s/p/tv100021155

No, this model tire isn't available in 235/60/15 for the rear, but it's the same brand as the Radial T/A which is available in that size, and both tires are classified as High Performance All Season. So this might be a viable option for some. The only thing I worry about is if these are discontinued, old-stock tires in the 195/60/14 size. Still, I thought I'd toss this find out to the community for further investigation.

Gregadeth
03-15-2017, 04:04 PM
So I came across these BF Goodrich tires yesterday while browsing the website of a local independent shop where I just got tires for my daily driver. While the 195/60/14 size isn't listed on BF Goodrich's website or Tire Rack's website, it is on other online tire retailers:

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/bf-goodrich/g-force-super-sport-a-s/p/tv100021155

No, this model tire isn't available in 235/60/15 for the rear, but it's the same brand as the Radial T/A which is available in that size, and both tires are classified as High Performance All Season. So this might be a viable option for some. The only thing I worry about is if these are discontinued, old-stock tires in the 195/60/14 size. Still, I thought I'd toss this find out to the community for further investigation.That's what I've been running on the fronts, with Radial T/As on the rears. All stock sizes and made in USA. I'm surprised more people aren't running this setup, seems like the best way to go.

Bill6298
03-15-2017, 04:23 PM

I wonder if the out of stock status means they really are discontinued. This appears to be the closest US manufacturer match albeit different brand/product lines. Cooper has/had a similar situation. Correct sizes in different brand/product lines.

I was thinking that these very large tire companies might be more resistant to bringing back a combination of tire sizes that aren't commonly used. Does anyone know if Vredestein is smaller company that might be more willing? All they need to do is make a 235/60/15 for the Sportrac line, which already has 225/60/15.

I imagine the DeLorean vendors will have more success engaging with the marketing/sales organizations than individual consumers. I thought I read that DMCH was working with an unnamed tire company regarding their new VIN cars. Does anyone have any details?

BladeBronson
03-15-2017, 06:11 PM
I thought I read that DMCH was working with an unnamed tire company regarding their new VIN cars. Does anyone have any details?

They're looking at using 17" and 18" wheels specifically due to greater availability of tires.

http://www.newdelorean.com/aprilmay-2016-update/

Bill6298
03-15-2017, 07:08 PM
They're looking at using 17" and 18" wheels specifically due to greater availability of tires.

http://www.newdelorean.com/aprilmay-2016-update/

Thanks. I totally read that wrong the first time.

papanoel
03-16-2017, 03:28 PM
I wonder if the out of stock status means they really are discontinued. This appears to be the closest US manufacturer match albeit different brand/product lines. Cooper has/had a similar situation. Correct sizes in different brand/product lines.

I was thinking that these very large tire companies might be more resistant to bringing back a combination of tire sizes that aren't commonly used. Does anyone know if Vredestein is smaller company that might be more willing? All they need to do is make a 235/60/15 for the Sportrac line, which already has 225/60/15.

I imagine the DeLorean vendors will have more success engaging with the marketing/sales organizations than individual consumers. I thought I read that DMCH was working with an unnamed tire company regarding their new VIN cars. Does anyone have any details?

The front BF Goodrich Sportrac tires are def available. The tread doesn't match the rear BF Goodrich Radial T/As though.

But at least they are the same brand. I'm considering going with these tires myself.

You can get the BF Goodrich Radial T/A Raised logo in white letters as a glue on kit for the front. https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/bf-goodrich-radial-t-a/

Bill6298
03-16-2017, 04:25 PM
You can get the BF Goodrich Radial T/A Raised logo in white letters as a glue on kit for the front. https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/bf-goodrich-radial-t-a/

I had never heard of this. Sounds cool. Have you seen this in person? Does it look good?

This might actually be the perfect setup. Thanks.

Chris 16409
03-16-2017, 08:28 PM

There was a forum member a couple years ago who was trying to make this happen, but none of the vendors seemed interested. Seems like a no brainier to me.

Bill6298
03-16-2017, 08:56 PM
There was a forum member a couple years ago who was trying to make this happen, but none of the vendors seemed interested. Seems like a no brainier to me.

I imagine the expected sales volume doesn't meet the minimum most tire companies require to justify the manufacturing costs that are normally spread across tens of thousands (?) of tires sold per (infrequent) manufacturing run. We need a tire company that has a business model that can tolerate low volume manufacturing. Clearly we'd pay more but it's not uncommon for some cars to have $1000 tire bills every few years.

BF Goodrich referred me to Coker when I emailed them last week. They seem to be exactly the type of company I am describing above. Is there anyone else in the US or from a country we'd actually want to buy tires from?

EDIT - So, these guys have the rights to manufacture BF Goodrich Radial T/A Tires? They actually have a 235/60/R15 but no 14" matching tire for us. If I am understanding Wikipedia correctly, they are actually manufacturing these tires themselves and only license the branding/style from the OEM. It's a shame they don't have Goodyear as a partner because they could bring back the NCTs if they wanted to.

EDIT AGAIN - Ok, this has been covered numerous times and I think early on in this thread. I e-mailed them but will move on.

Bill6298
03-17-2017, 10:06 AM
This is what Coker said.

Thanks for contacting us!

I am afraid not. We offer a 235/60R15, but nothing in a 195/60R14. However, we've had other inquiries about this and are currently building a log. We try to gauge future decisions on customers who provide written interest, so if you would like, I can let management know that you asked about this. I will just need some information from you to log it:

Name, Address, Phone, Email, Club Affiliation (if applicable), Quantity interested in, Size, Brand/Type, Requirements/Intended service, Vehicle Fitments, and any additional info.

If you can provide me with this information, I will pass it along to the powers that be. If anything ever comes of it, we will be able to contact you!

Best Regards,

Andrew Randall
Web Sales

1317 Chestnut Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402
Direct: 800-251-6336
Fax: 423-752-8712
[email protected]

tylka
03-28-2017, 08:07 AM
I was thinking about this the other day about seeing if Coker Tire could get BFGoodrich to release a batch of front tires for our cars. They are having a huge cruise in this April 1st weekend that I plan to attend. They are suppose to have reps out for customers, so I will bring this back up to them while I am down there. Wish I had my car on the road, because it would probably be the only DMC car there... one day.

delgato
03-28-2017, 09:00 AM
I was thinking about this the other day about seeing if Coker Tire could get BFGoodrich to release a batch of front tires for our cars. They are having a huge cruise in this April 1st weekend that I plan to attend. They are suppose to have reps out for customers, so I will bring this back up to them while I am down there. Wish I had my car on the road, because it would probably be the only DMC car there... one day.

Tell them your car is not there because you can't find tires for it. Ha

papanoel
03-29-2017, 02:47 PM
I had never heard of this. Sounds cool. Have you seen this in person? Does it look good?

This might actually be the perfect setup. Thanks.

I havne't seen them in person. but theres a couple of videos on youtube of the product. Heres one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RjKNZC9G20

sdg3205
03-17-2020, 03:17 AM
Guess what I picked up.

2005, basically the tail end of the run.

Mounted but never run.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200317/1c6731d23cd875e69bfcdcd8b5f21df5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200317/6aaf0082a5f130eedc239cc64c990611.jpg

Mark D
03-17-2020, 10:21 AM
Guess what I picked up.

Mounted but never run.

Nice find, if they were stored properly then I would hope the rubber is still in good shape. There should be cleaning products out there that can remove the black contact staining on the RWL's. I think this might be the stuff?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Magic-Bleche-Wite-Tire-Cleaner-32-oz-120066/19417551?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227016764348&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=56300425031&wl4=pla-92976842231&wl5=9008038&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=19417551&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6sHzBRCbARIsAF8FMpUNkvlFOjipqQaOPT-EGgrccaBnegEk13S33985GOjntHpLvarqq24aAozeEALw_wcB

I really wish they would bring these tires back into production.

dmcnc
03-17-2020, 01:31 PM
For anyone interested, this guy in Portland is selling an NOS set. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/414117539219943/

Michael
03-17-2020, 01:47 PM
Guess what I picked up.

Mounted but never run.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200317/1c6731d23cd875e69bfcdcd8b5f21df5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200317/6aaf0082a5f130eedc239cc64c990611.jpg

Didn't your signature used to say "In search of the perfect white letter?"
You finally did it!

sdg3205
03-18-2020, 06:34 PM
I wasn’t able to find any Black Magic Bleche Wite, but I spoke with my vintage tire professional and he said to try Ford Motorcraft Multi purpose cleaner. Spray on dry, wait 2 minutes then mist with water and scrub with an SOS pad. He was right. They look like new.

Hard to believe I’ve been running my Cooper Cobras for 10 years now. I’m going to have my vintage tire buddy look these over then I’ll order some 235s or 245s for the rear and run them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200318/ccc703846ffbf9c1fdf4ae20a6d28a02.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200318/15bbca99d3ec47146585ea593d4187a9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200318/18101883d20b0d8a69eacee58c04e98b.jpg

Mark D
03-18-2020, 11:15 PM
I wasn’t able to find any Black Magic Bleche Wite, but I spoke with my vintage tire professional and he said to try Ford Motorcraft Multi purpose cleaner. Spray on dry, wait 2 minutes then mist with water and scrub with an SOS pad. He was right. They look like new.

Hard to believe I’ve been running my Cooper Cobras for 10 years now. I’m going to have my vintage tire buddy look these over then I’ll order some 235s or 245s for the rear and run them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200318/ccc703846ffbf9c1fdf4ae20a6d28a02.jpg

Hot damn. :jawdrop:

Those look amazing dude. I'm jealous of the raised white letteredness.

Can't wait to see some pics of these bad boys mounted up with some matching rears.

sdg3205
03-18-2020, 11:42 PM
Thanks mark! I’m stoked on them.

Also, look what else just popped up. Gotta love marketplace!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200319/6eae5d6b052a8d84f509f93831df18a7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200319/057ce2b24bc65939947e6a3360bb0ec1.jpg

sdg3205
03-18-2020, 11:43 PM
Didn't your signature used to say "In search of the perfect white letter?"
You finally did it!

Lol! Only took ten years! It will be nice not painting them in any more.

cpistocco
03-19-2020, 01:38 AM
Your relentless pursuit is over!
Congrats!
I love the way they look on my car....They make the car pop...

mluder
03-19-2020, 04:04 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200318/ccc703846ffbf9c1fdf4ae20a6d28a02.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200318/15bbca99d3ec47146585ea593d4187a9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200318/18101883d20b0d8a69eacee58c04e98b.jpg

Oooooh - this is good to know. I've tried the Black Magic on my RWL and it works OK but not great. Now I must try this stuff...

Cheers
Steve