PDA

View Full Version : Write up on the 3M gold Delorean.

Chris Burns
10-25-2015, 03:55 PM
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/back-to-the-future-delorean,news-21748.html#sthash.CwwgCnAY.gbpl&st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=/

Mario
10-25-2015, 05:39 PM
"It can be custom installed on any car in a wide variety of colors and finishes, changing a dull stainless steel, gull-winged two-seater into a golden chariot in just hours."
Ah yes, I forgot how dull these cars are... definitely need some 3M brand vinyl wrap to hide that ugly stainless!

burch
10-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Kind of a dickish sounding article, but the window film sounds interesting. Would be nice to have the UV protection (especially here in AZ).

Michael
10-25-2015, 06:43 PM
I believe an owner tried that film(or something very similar) to the tune of almost 1,000 dollars.

That was a few years ago. The cost may have come down a bit.

Citizen
10-25-2015, 08:01 PM
I believe an owner tried that film(or something very similar) to the tune of almost 1,000 dollars.

That was a few years ago. The cost may have come down a bit.

I wonder if the owner you are talking about is of VIN 10853 (http://www.citizenkidd.com/DMC/pages/vinview_disp.asp?start=10853).

vwdmc16
10-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Really is just talking about how you can put vinyl on any car these days, it is becoming quite common, i do it alot at work with my customers race cars. When they damage a panel and it can't be fixed we can replace it with another straight used panel that can be any color and have ugly paint. That saves money and time, then we apply the vinyl over to match the rest of the car.

The big cost is labour, it's no simple task to apply a large sheet of vinyl to a curved panel without any wrinkles or bubbles.it can take more than a full day to do. So $2k is really as cheap as it gets.

Michael
10-25-2015, 09:24 PM
I wonder if the owner you are talking about is of VIN 10853 (http://www.citizenkidd.com/DMC/pages/vinview_disp.asp?start=10853).

I was talking about the window film. It had some property to it that blocked most if not all the uv light and made the interior cooler on sunny days as well. It had a light tint to it if I recall correctly.

I also remember him saying he was pretty imprressed with it.

mr_maxime
10-26-2015, 12:38 AM
I was quoted at $4k for a chrome wrap. Kind of a dull ass gold though.

Nicholas R
10-26-2015, 01:05 AM
"It can be custom installed on any car in a wide variety of colors and finishes, changing a dull stainless steel, gull-winged two-seater into a golden chariot in just hours."
Ah yes, I forgot how dull these cars are... definitely need some 3M brand vinyl wrap to hide that ugly stainless!

I thought the exact same thing. I am not a fan of how this car looks. I dont see gold, just light brown. Looks to me like a crappy dealer paint job from 1981.

Dont get me wrong, I could see possibly vinyl wrapping the car at some point to see what it's like to have it be another color, but light brown is definitely not what it would be. I saw a matte black vinyl wrap that had a brushed metal texture at the Cavalcade of Customs Carshow in 2013. They also had a dark blue, green, and several other colors with the same brushed texture to them. I could get behind one of those for a couple years.

Alan
10-26-2015, 07:57 AM
I am not a fan of how this car looks. I dont see gold, just light brown. Looks to me like a crappy dealer paint job from 1981.

I agree. I hope it's better in person but I'm not betting on it. I haven't seen this or the stainless, grained wrap in person but in the pictures the stainless looks much better than this. If they could do gold as well as the stainless appears, I could get behind that, too.

Dangermouse
10-26-2015, 08:16 AM
It looks like a matte version of gold, which sort of misses the point.

An owner in Australia did this a couple of years ago, with better results, imho

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7886-Wrapping-the-d!

AugustneverEnds
10-26-2015, 08:17 AM
Stainless rules, vinyl drools!! !:rock_on:

Kidding, to each their own.

Nicholas R
10-26-2015, 10:01 AM
This is what I was talking about. Black is pretty much the only color I would consider on a DeLorean other than stainless. I think that a matte black finish that retains the metal brushed texture would actually be pretty cool to run with for a little while.

Unsurprisingly, you can also get gold with the brushed metal texture. In my opinion this would have looked WAY better on this DeLorean than this monotone light brown does...

dn010
10-26-2015, 11:51 AM
I have tinted windows in my car, tint with UV protection. It is a PITA with the way our windows are (if you do it yourself) but the results are worth it.

I was talking about the window film. It had some property to it that blocked most if not all the uv light and made the interior cooler on sunny days as well. It had a light tint to it if I recall correctly.

DMCVegas
10-26-2015, 01:11 PM
I dunno. I totally understand vinyl wrap on commercial fleet vehicles that double as mobile advertising. It's a cheap way to not only mass-market your products & services, but it also removes easily so when it comes time to sell off the vehicle at auction it remains salable. So when you're dealing with hundreds of vehicles at the same time, it makes sense.

But for a personal car? Why not just pay for a paint job at that price? Because other than a DeLorean, what car could you possibly NOT want to paint at all?

Grover
10-27-2015, 03:41 PM

I have the 3M ceramic tint on all my glass in the car. It greatly reduces heat inside the car and I absolutely love it. It is expensive but in my opinion 100% worth it.

Lou and "Boo"
10-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Steve, did you install the tint yourself or have a shop do it?

Grover
10-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Steve, did you install the tint yourself or have a shop do it?

I had a shop do it.

Lou and "Boo"
10-27-2015, 05:22 PM
I had a shop do it.

Can you PM me details on the shop and the cost? Did you go the windshield too?

Lenny
10-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Here's a wrapped DeLorean.

Parzval
10-27-2015, 06:45 PM
I've seen chrome vinyl wrap that absolutely looks like chrome. I don't know how that gold could have been so dull, unless they wanted it that way.
And rumor has it that this one is a wrap too.... though over a (white) painted car.

Michael
10-27-2015, 07:19 PM
http://dmctalk.org/album.php?albumid=72

Deloman has the nicest wrapped D I have ever seen. Notice the graining stayed visible.

mr_maxime
10-27-2015, 08:22 PM
That does look pretty damn sweet.

I think I may toy with wraps more often down the road when I can spend money on cosmetic stuff. i'd like to do an orange front fascia and dark green for the rest to resemble the alfa romeo carabo concept. Then definitely the chrome.

Nicholas R
10-27-2015, 11:42 PM
http://dmctalk.org/album.php?albumid=72

Deloman has the nicest wrapped D I have ever seen. Notice the graining stayed visible.

That grain is actually a texture in the vinyl, not the grain of the stainless. Still, its super convincing right?! I saw a car similar to this at a car show and it blew me away how good it looked.

papanoel
10-28-2015, 07:34 AM
I agree. I hope it's better in person but I'm not betting on it. I haven't seen this or the stainless, grained wrap in person but in the pictures the stainless looks much better than this. If they could do gold as well as the stainless appears, I could get behind that, too.

I saw this car in person in New York City. Basically it looks like it's Painted a muddy yellow. Also had black rims on it.
Not a fan. I think they could have done a much better job to make it look like one of the gold plated deloreans.

papanoel
10-28-2015, 07:35 AM
I've seen chrome vinyl wrap that absolutely looks like chrome. I don't know how that gold could have been so dull, unless they wanted it that way.
And rumor has it that this one is a wrap too.... though over a (white) painted car.

That's a painted white car with pink plastidip over it. Owner went back to white earlier this year.

Dangermouse
10-28-2015, 08:12 AM
That's a painted white car with pink plastidip over it. Owner went back to white earlier this year.

Except for the gas flap, that stayed pink, like a little tongue

Parzval
10-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Except for the gas flap, that stayed pink, like a little tongue

HA! I remember seeing a white one with a pink flap. So that's where it came from. I had no idea the pink "dip" was that old. Can't say I'm a huge LMFAO fan to know how old the vid was. Guess I should have looked it up! lol