PDA

View Full Version : Running without the engine cover.

sdg3205
11-11-2015, 02:38 AM
Does anyone run their DeLorean without the (lower) engine cover?

It has crossed my mind a few times and I have seen a few race-inspired DMC's without it. Personally I think the nicely detailed PRV looks pretty rad and i wouldn't mind making it a bit more visible. Granted you'd have to squirt a little silicone sealant in the 4 bolt holes for the engine cover brackets while it was off.

I could create a working latch to work with the louver as well... even make it pop up or release in place of the engine cover. I expect it would help keep the engine cool, wouldn't effect drag coefficient, might be a bit louder (but not much).

What say you?

Bitsyncmaster
11-11-2015, 03:09 AM
I would think it would run cooler and probably reduce hot start problems. Not sure if I would like seeing the engine like that with the louvers closed. Probably save a few pounds off the rear end.

88KPH
11-11-2015, 03:12 AM
I don't see a problem. Several things would need tidying though, it does have the look of being thrown together! lol
Like to see some pics of blinged engines for inspiration.

Jonathan
11-11-2015, 07:38 AM
Water is the main one for me that comes to mind. Not that the lower cover is water proof, but I expect it keeps the bulk of the water off the top of the engine. You could do a test if you wanted and take a small cup or two of water and pour it down onto the louvres and watch where it goes with the lower cover in place. I think the grilles are where they are on the lower cover because that centre area that has none was more crucial for keeping water off.

Move or unplug the light switch when you do the hinge bolt holes.

How snug in place is your bulkhead connector cover? Hard to say what the air flow would do, if anything different, but that's about the only thing that came to mind that might move if grabbed by the wind in just the right way.

The vacuum routing decal is on the underside of the lower cover. Not that you likely consult it daily, but you could keep a copy of it in the glovebox if you wanted to (or on your phone).

Dangermouse
11-11-2015, 08:12 AM
I would think you would have more of an issue with water down the plug holes, particularly if the car has been parked. Or in your case, snow down the plug holes.

Plus the reduction in weight over the driven axles would obviously result in more wheelspin as the powerful engine tries to put down all its torque

Michael
11-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Yeah those engine covers really do a lot to keep the rear end planted. I would be afraid to run without as the car tends to kick sideways during full throttle spurts.

On the other hand, I wonder what it would look like at night with this under the louvers:

Spittybug
11-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Or just do this. I've since removed it and put the full length louvers back on, but this remains an option when I feel like a change.... The two rear panels don't have their grillwork in these pictures, but I kept them. Only the three big panels are plexi. No heat damage, but drilling through it for mounting wasn't the best idea; small spiderweb cracks. I found a guy that would custom make tempered glass inserts for a really good price but I never pursued it.

DMCVegas
11-11-2015, 09:58 AM
I would think it would run cooler and probably reduce hot start problems. Not sure if I would like seeing the engine like that with the louvers closed. Probably save a few pounds off the rear end.

I don't believe that it would have any impact on cooling properties for the engine whatsoever. The engine is water-cooled, so airflow around it is a complete non-issue. Not only is it common place for many buildings to keep their generators located indoors with externally mounted radiators, but the hoods/bonnets on front-engine cars are purposefully sealed with gaskets to stop airflow up and across the engine to vent out of the top. It's a safety measure to prevent steam from blocking driver viability when driving through water, but it does still restrict airflow.

Now catalytic converters are indeed a different story, and they happen to be packed in with the engine inside of the compartment. But omitting those, and the fact that it's just cheaper to keep the engine bay open with the radiator in front to let the hot air scavange out of the bottom, you could actually seal up the engine compartment from the outside on both the bottom and the top to keep it pristinely clean, and you wouldn't have any temperature problems. Heat would still be expelled through coolant and exhaust gasses.

"Hot Start" issues are 99% of the time caused by a faulty fuel system that somewhere along the way isn't maintaining rest pressure. That remaining 1% is actually temperature rated, but it's a very, VERY rare occurrence. That would really only be if you lived in the Mojave or Sonoran Deserts in North America, The Saharan in Africa, or the low lying deserts of the middle east. Hence why the Workshop Manual states that the only time a "Hot Start Relay" would be necessary in hot climates. In those cases it would be where you park the car, and the overnight temperatures drop into the low 50's or colder (in Fahrenheit). Over several hours this also cools and chills the internal combustion chambers to where they condensate the gasoline vapor. Then after cooling all night and chilling the engine's core down, the sun rises and thanks to it's intense direct light, it rapidly heats up the desert. The Thermotime Switch *is* subject to coolant submersion, yes, but it could still rapidly heat into the 60's just from the sunlight shining directly on it, and the surrounding thermostat and waterpump. That would result in a cold engine, with a warm Thermotime Switch, and the engine would in that case then NOT catch because the Cold Start Injector isn't firing. So exposing that upper engine area to more heat in the morning could actually make it worse. The more it's covered, the more insulation to keep the Thermotime Switch cold for better cold starting.

awildermode
11-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Glass panel would be interesting...like a Ferrari.

sdg3205
11-11-2015, 12:10 PM
I'm not all that concerned about water. Given my average annual mileage is about 1,500 miles and I don't take it out in the rain, about the only water is have to be cautious of is wash water.

I'm going to give this a shot for a week and see what it's like. Gives me something to do.

I just have to figure out how I'll keep those rear wheel from spinning every time I feather the gas.

88KPH
11-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Ha, You'll have to drive it like one of those VW emission testers..... Take 40 seconds to get to 60mph! :blackeye:

sdg3205
11-11-2015, 10:52 PM
I did it.

Nicholas R
11-12-2015, 12:01 AM
I ran without the engine cover for about a month when I first completed my swap. I was still working out how I'd prop it up at the time and other items were more important. Obviously there's some difference since it wasn't a PRV exposed but still, it's probably not that different. I had no issues and ran in the rain several times.

Timebender
11-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Good thread and info. My car came without the engine cover, due to there being no room whatsoever with the air cleaner there, which comes within a quarter inch of the louvres. So I've been wary of driving in or getting caught in the rain- though it doesn't rain much here in sunny San Diego, but we've been getting some now from Mexican hurricanes and El NiƱo is starting to kick in.
I have been giving some thought though to getting a spare louvre set, removing the louvres and keeping the frame, and installing aircraft lexan like on the Audi R8. It's heat resistant, doesn't scratch, and is a heck of a lot lighter that glass. 37927

jamesrguk
11-12-2015, 05:20 PM
One thing to watch out for is if you park your car and it rains the water sits on the louvre.

This is fine if your driving off forwards, but if you're reversing out of a parking spot the water rolls straight onto the engine, that's when the lower cover saves that water dumping on your spark plugs etc...

J

vps3922
11-12-2015, 06:19 PM
I saw Dave's car yesterday on my last drive with 3922 through the valley (yes, my car will soon find a new owner). I have to say that it caught my eye and it looks great!

I have to say that Dave and I (because Dave also helped restoring mine) spent quite some work in the engine compartment bead blasting, repainting and buffing things up. I totally agree that it looks awesome.
I would probably make sure that no water gets into the ignition parts and try it out.

I did not take any pictures of it yesterday but it looked great looking through the side window into the engine compartment.

sdg3205
11-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Some LEDs like Michaels would be pretty nice.

I removed the plunger switch and installed a manual switch.

Citizen
11-13-2015, 08:59 AM
I would think those with the stock PRV would not/should not run without the engine cover, for fear rain/moisture/carwash overspray would collect in the VOD, as VOD corrosion is a major problem. My car is garaged, and I don't intentionally drive in the rain. But in 10 years of ownership, I have been caught twice now in significant rain, and I was glad the engine was covered. JMHO.

Thomas

Michael
11-13-2015, 09:50 AM
Rainwater doesn't cause corrosion in an aluminium engine...old coolant does.

Citizen
11-14-2015, 09:07 AM

A very good point, thanks.

I should have said it a bit differently. I personally wouldn't want any moisture down in the valley, and want as little moister as possible anywhere in the engine bay, as I would worry it could speed corrosion in general. I hate the thought of my alternator getting wet from rain. Cooling has never been a problem for my car, as it rarely gets beyond the first mark on the temp gauge, even on the hottest Texas days (yes, I know the gauge could be inaccurate, but the car has never overheated [under my watch]).

Thomas

DMCVegas
11-14-2015, 10:25 AM
Well, the old coolant is on the inside of the engine. Externally in the VOD, the problem is when you have dead leaves and other dead vegetation that collects. When it rots, it will lower it's pH and start to corrode the aluminum. That's the problem. It also gets made even worse if you're leaking coolant from the Y-Pipe/water pump when the coolant collects there.

As for the alternator, don't sweat it. I've driven through flood water where I've submerged the entire thing. The warning light will come on, but I just gun the engine until thing just flings out all the water and it's good to go again. Even been through an industrial waste spill and even raw sewage with no problem.

DMCMW Dave
11-14-2015, 06:14 PM

Mix rainwater with a bunch of leaves, acorns, mouse droppings etc. and it gets corrosive.

Michael
11-14-2015, 06:36 PM
I wasn't aware the cover protected that much. Odd that I have had mine for 7 years and have yet to see so much as a leaf make it past the louvers.

I guess if you just let one sit in the forest month after month year after year things and critters will work their way into the VOD and cause corrosion problems. I wasn't exactly saying the car is bullet proof with the cover missing or not.

sdg3205
11-28-2015, 01:38 AM
I put the engine cover back on today. I couldn't find a safe place to store it.

I also have a gig coming up with Labatt and I want the car in showroom condition.

sdg3205
06-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Has anyone come across or developed a way of locking or latching the louvres down without the lower engine cover in place?

Lwanmtr
06-13-2018, 03:44 AM
Has anyone come across or developed a way of locking or latching the louvres down without the lower engine cover in place?

You could make a thing that fits the lower cover latch that has a loop for the louvre...Maybe find a use lower cover thats all busted up and cut out that area then snap it into the lower cover latch...and when you wanna remove it, just pop it out like you would a cover.

Or.....bungee the louvres to the bottom of the rear fascia....or......duct tape a couple big rocks to the rear of the louvre