PDA

View Full Version : From Reddit/Autos today: Among a Volvo junkyard, I found this

DL4567
12-02-2015, 10:58 PM
http://imgur.com/EhrWNqA

https://www.reddit.com/r/Autos/comments/3v6fmx/among_a_volvo_junkyard_i_found_this/

SIMid
12-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Interesting comments .........

[–]PuddlesOfFudge 3 points 3 hours ago
Am I the only one who thinks that the Delorean is a really shitty car?
[–]Memeberme 5 points 3 hours ago
It's shit, but the movie made it into a fad.
permalinkparent
[–]MountainTurtles 1 point 48 minutes ago
I like them in spite of the movie
permalinkparent
[–]marino1310 5 points 2 hours ago
It is a shitty car. But its a cool shitty car.
permalinkparent
[–]dimensional_dan 1 point 59 minutes ago
If it didn't look the way it looks it would have nothing. But it looks kind of nice and occupies a niche in nostalgia.
permalinkparent

Nicholas R
12-03-2015, 01:51 AM
Wow that is surprising. I've seen photos of DeLoreans in junkyards but never so fully intact. It would be great if that car could be bought as a whole and properly parted out. Junkyards are very hard on cars. A lot of parts are removed at the expense of other parts, using saws-alls, prybars, sledgehammers, etc.

EDIT: In case anyone is interested, the location was posted.

Its at: Hamilton's Corner Garage, on Gordon Street, in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Hamilton's+Corner+Garage+Limited/@43.5132347,-80.1987786,3a,75y,52.95h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQSvN55r_5SMy6_QcOSH3ZA!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x7bad3b2c9d75a645!6m1!1 e1

12-03-2015, 07:18 AM
Official Delorean Owners Canada has been aware of this car for some time. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do.

Dangermouse
12-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Vin?

louielouie2000
12-03-2015, 08:22 AM
I saw this DeLorean on Instagram recently. It looks way too nice to be in a junkyard- look how straight the fascia is!

Official Delorean Owners Canada has been aware of this car for some time. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do.

Is the owner not willing to part with the car as a whole?

Wells Auto
12-03-2015, 08:42 AM
I saw this DeLorean on Instagram recently. It looks way too nice to be in a junkyard- look how straight the fascia is!

Is the owner not willing to part with the car as a whole?

Hi guys,

As my business is located in Guelph, I was alerted to this car when it arrived at their shop. Needless to say, I went to see it immediately, and offered to help get it on the road again / purchase it.

It was brought to them by the original owners to get it running again, and I have been giving the shop owner some tips (like not leaving it outside), and he said he'll be working on the fuel system over the winter. Hamilton's is a Volvo specialty shop, and apparently the owners looked them up based on the engine.

The car is in decent shape, low mileage, with a couple bits of minor body damage. It is not a parts car, just a car sitting in the wrong place, being repaired as they have time...

I'll be continuing to work with them on this, but the owners told the shop they weren't looking to sell until it is running as they have a "higher" number in mind for a price...

They were all hoping to have the car be unnoticed, but as I mentioned to them, it will attract attention.

Please PM me for me more details, thanks,

jmettee
12-03-2015, 04:35 PM
I'll be continuing to work with them on this, but the owners told the shop they weren't looking to sell until it is running as they have a "higher" number in mind for a price...

They were all hoping to have the car be unnoticed, but as I mentioned to them, it will attract attention.

This is awesome, thanks for trying to help out. :)

I know that if that were my car, I'd have issue with it being stored in the yard amongst junks cars where vandals may think it's also junk & damage it. Hopefully the shop owner has decided to store it in a better place.

MML
12-03-2015, 07:08 PM
There was an update:

"Hi there all! This is Hamilton's Corner Garage here, the place that is holding this DeLorean you are talking about, for a customer of ours. We'd like to clear some things up for you. We are a business that has been around & dealing with Volvo's since 1946 and our customers know exactly where & how we keep our cars, if they have specific conditions they want their car to be in we will be more then happy to accommodate their needs. Where and how this car sits and how it is dealt with is up to the owner. The many Volvo's on our lot may appear to be just junk but rest assured they are not! We ship Volvo parts all over North America & Europe. As mentioned in this forum, Volvo owners are cult like & like to keep their old cars running. We operate as a Volvo garage that buys, sells and fixes used cars. We are happy to answer questions anyone may have, whether it be about our large inventory of NOS parts or just a chat about your Volvo. :)"

Wells Auto
12-04-2015, 08:15 AM
This is awesome, thanks for trying to help out. :)

I know that if that were my car, I'd have issue with it being stored in the yard amongst junks cars where vandals may think it's also junk & damage it. Hopefully the shop owner has decided to store it in a better place.

Indeed! I had a talk with him yesterday as a heads up, and hopefully the car will be moved inside before anything happens to it. Glad to see he posted on Reddit though.

DMCVegas
12-04-2015, 10:41 AM
I know that if that were my car, I'd have issue with it being stored in the yard amongst junks cars where vandals may think it's also junk & damage it.

I could deal with vandals. They would at least leave the car behind. What I'm more worried about is some well meaning, yet misguided DeLorean enthusiasts taking photos, then posting them online with the address, then a bunch of people start rallying together on a plan to actually steal my car in order to "save" it. That is precisely why I never tell anyone where my car is hidden. It's in somewhere in Vegas where it was loaded away late one night years ago, and sits anonymously behind a graffitied wall, further blocked by dumpsters, protected by an alarm and probably a homeless campsite looking at it on Google Earth. And I keep the keys needed for entrance separate.