PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body New headliner alternatives..

painterdave72
12-10-2015, 06:04 PM
just wondering if there are any alternatives to the ones that dmch sells...

PJ Grady Inc.
12-10-2015, 06:31 PM
just wondering if there are any alternatives to the ones that dmch sells...

Yeah....ours! They are also 10% less in price.
Rob

painterdave72
12-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Rob.. you rock as always!!!

Bitsyncmaster
12-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Matt over on DMCtoday was working on another option.

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?1855-Upcoming-Headliner-Kits&highlight=headliner

Shuttleman
12-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Yeah....ours! They are also 10% less in price.
Rob

It would be great if we could see all your wonderfull products on your website Mr. Grady.

David T
12-10-2015, 09:25 PM
It would be great if we could see all your wonderfull products on your website Mr. Grady.

The other option, if you are up to all of the work, is to replace the fabric yourself. That means removing all of the glue from the old backers, purchasing the fabric, cutting fitting and gluing it in. A LOT of work and a messy job. Not easy getting the fabric nice and straight over the compound curves. Rob provides new backers when you buy his headliner kit. All you have to do is put the panels in.

painterdave72
12-10-2015, 09:43 PM
does not work Rob.. none of the pull down menus are working and i cant find the headliner kit...

sdg3205
12-10-2015, 10:06 PM
Doing your own headliners is not hard. You can get enough fabric off eBay for 3 whole cars for $50. Then it's a can of 3m spray adhesive and you're good to go.

DL4567
12-10-2015, 10:18 PM
I like the look of the OEM fabric, but whenever the idea of spending $550 on new fiberglass headliners comes to mind (assuming they use the same fabric) I can't help but think that they too will one day go "bad" just because of the disintegrating foam problem. It's an endless cycle with stupid, foam-backed headliner material. Is there an alternative that stays close to the OEM look but lasts forever? I've seen some people use vinyl, and it looks pretty good, but I'd rather have the stock look if possible.

David T
12-10-2015, 10:32 PM
I like the look of the OEM fabric, but whenever the idea of spending $550 on new fiberglass headliners comes to mind (assuming they use the same fabric) I can't help but think that they too will one day go "bad" just because of the disintegrating foam problem. It's an endless cycle with stupid, foam-backed headliner material. Is there an alternative that stays close to the OEM look but lasts forever? I've seen some people use vinyl, and it looks pretty good, but I'd rather have the stock look if possible.

The foam backing is what gives the fabric that plush feel. Eventually it will go bad but if you keep the car out of the sun it will last longer. I have seen where some owners carefully removed the old fabric, cleaned off all of the old foam, reapplied a thin layer of foam to the fabric, and then reattached it to the old backers. That is even more work! It does allow you to retain the look and feel of the original fabric though. The materiel is not expensive, it is the labor that is costly.

painterdave72
12-11-2015, 07:26 AM
Its just the boards suck.. they are begining to get messed up in a few areas so i was just going to buy all new ones so the boards are all nice and new and fit better...

PJ Grady Inc.
12-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Its just the boards suck.. they are begining to get messed up in a few areas so i was just going to buy all new ones so the boards are all nice and new and fit better...

Although eventually all conventional foams do break down but at least the new fiberglass backing boards we use can be reused indefinitely. The original pressed cardboard backers are problematic at best so the new boards are a big improvement. I've heard of urethane base headliner foam but as I recall a sample was more open cell in structure and appeared difficult to work with on the deep dish Delorean door headliners. Most headliner wholesalers do not carry or even know of urethane foam. Unfortunately non foam coverings, while more durable, just don't have the textural qualities that most people have come to know and expect on a car roof. Our headliners are not on the site at this time but I could send you pictures and info if you want to PM me. I would need your VIN or interior color to show you the proper shade.
Rob

SS Spoiler
12-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Has anyone thought of putting two skylights in the top part of the doors?

Delorean3610
12-11-2015, 04:18 PM

I think that would weaken the door to where it could snap if it wasn't reinforced properly to compensate.

DMCVegas
12-11-2015, 04:28 PM

T-Tops have been done, so I suppose you could But the area is so small, I don't know why you'd want to.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/dc/d9/80/dcd980350041abe053a004b3f5e7d826.jpg

I've driven around without headliners before, and the extreme heat or winter cold on your head isn't the most pleasant of feelings.

PJ Grady Inc.
12-11-2015, 04:59 PM

It was already done to a car Frank Coraci brought (Actually the first time I towed it in from a bar called "Malibu" in Long Beach L.I. but that's another story in itself) in for service in the mid-eighties before he became a producer. He did "The Wedding Singer" and all the Adam Sandler movies to follow. He got it from Seymour Tankleff who was allegedly killed by his son Marty but it turned out later to have been his business partners doing. The paper at the time alleged that the son murdered him in a fit of rage over his dad's refusal to let him drive the Delorean. The elder Tankleff and Coraci's father were card playing buddies and for all I know the car could have transferred title via a lost card game gone but who knows?. It's a long story but I'm sure those who don't know could Goggle the history. It's fascinating a but sad read. The murder, court case, incarceration, and ultimate release made headlines in New York many times over the years.

Anyhow I don't know who cut the holes but they were about 16" long x 4" wide and didn't offer what you would call a panoramic view. Combined with the translucent plexi-glass that was used they were barely what you would even call windows. Not to add to the story but after Coraci sold the car it wound up for sale at "Car Keepers" a few towns away from he and they did as it sat there for years.

Bizarrely it next turned up in the hands of Jeremy Van Bemmelen my former mechanic and friend. He came by one morning looking for parts to make it run and after selling him some things and hearing his background I offered him a job on the spot. Sadly both Jeremy and the car are gone now. It was one year ago last Monday that he passed. As for the car's fate I don't remember who he sold it too but it's around somewhere. That car has dogged me my whole career in one way or another. It's likely it will cross my path again. The car seems to have nine lives!
Rob

Morpheus
12-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Rob, do you sell just the headliner material? I'll need to to this job before the springtime car shows roll around. I have an early black interior car.

PJ Grady Inc.
12-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Rob, do you sell just the headliner material? I'll need to to this job before the springtime car shows roll around. I have an early black interior car.

Not normally as the old boards don't hold up well to recovering unless you apply three coats of fiberglass resin to stabilize them and straighten/reinforce the rear roof panel. It's a lot of work when the F.G. replacements work so much better but I understand some budgets can't handle the extra expense. Perhaps if you twist my arm. PM me if still interested.
Rob

john 05141
12-21-2015, 06:48 AM
A new SS roofcage will be installed so I have to face this work. I took the headliners out already
I did replace my headliners 3 years ago, so I have some experience.

Only 2 modifications this time, I want to use a copy Alcantara this time. It does not stretch well for what I hear so it wil be a chalenge.
And I'd like to install a little overhead console with a better and bigger LED dome light, 2 maplights and illumited switches to turn the lights on and a digital compass.
Only it may not be all too deep or it will obstruct vision thru the rear vieuw mirror.

The cardboard is good, but I will apply some G4 (resin) anyway.But whay is 3 coats mentioned?

Also anyone has a good address dor low illuminated switches?

Jan

Bitsyncmaster
12-21-2015, 06:52 AM

Jan

What do you mean by dor low?

john 05141
12-22-2015, 05:26 AM
Whatever will be hidden "in" the roof may not be any deeper than 10 mm max 15mmor so.
It should be an illuminated switch too.
I have been looking on the internet, no easy find.
To make it even more challenging I am looking for those aviation type switches too. May be a rocker or press switch.
I'll keep looking until I find any.
Ihave found illuminated switches 15mm deep, but they were 22 mm diameter, so a bit too big.

Jan

PJ Grady Inc.
12-22-2015, 03:14 PM
A new SS roofcage will be installed so I have to face this work. I took the headliners out already
I did replace my headliners 3 years ago, so I have some experience.

Only 2 modifications this time, I want to use a copy Alcantara this time. It does not stretch well for what I hear so it wil be a chalenge.
And I'd like to install a little overhead console with a better and bigger LED dome light, 2 maplights and illumited switches to turn the lights on and a digital compass.
Only it may not be all too deep or it will obstruct vision thru the rear vieuw mirror.

The cardboard is good, but I will apply some G4 (resin) anyway.But whay is 3 coats mentioned?

Jan

Because the first coat or two will sink in and you won't even know it's there!