PDA

View Full Version : Close call today

sdg3205
12-17-2015, 12:42 AM
I had my car booked on a long 12 hr movie shoot today. When I arrived at my third location I started to clean the car as I usually do, except the rear of the car was covered in a film of oil. At first I thought it was residue from the fog machine they used at the second location. Upon closer inspection I saw a pool of oil under the engine. It turns out I had a pin hole leak in the oil filter. I could wipe it down and watch it leak out at idle. I lost about 2-3 litres of oil today on the highway before I noticed. I lucked out big time. BIG time! When I checked the oil I was just a tad below the "add" notch. But I had lost all the oil from the "full" down to "add" notches. Scary stuff. Any longer and I could have fried my engine.

I was halfway to Whistler up BC's Sea to Sky highway, but was able to convince Lordco to drive out a new filter and some fresh 20w-50. I called Toby @ DMCNW and got the Fram crossover oil filter part number. Then BCAA came to help me get the old filter off, because I had put it on WAY too tight. All in all I had about 2.5 hours of down time, but got back on set right on time.

Yikes

burch
12-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Wow, that's nuts! Wonder how you got the pinhole in the filter? Errant rock or something?

Jonathan
12-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Glad you caught it in time. And especially before it caused any big problems. Or while you were in the midst of filming. 'Cause we all know we need more bad press on the poor reliability, yada, yada, yada.

I assume you kept the filter? Would be interested in seeing where exactly the pinhole was. Wondering if it was along a seam, like maybe where the threaded portion meets the base perhaps? A rock flying up could hit anywhere, but a failure on a seam or some other feature might spell manufacturing defect.

Lou and "Boo"
12-17-2015, 04:45 PM
Glad you didn't have any damage Dave. Keep on rockin' !

micmak
12-17-2015, 07:01 PM
WTF Dave?? Holy! Is there obvious damage to the filter as if something hit it, or is it a defect? What make was it? I dunno if it would have ended in disaster really, as your oil light would have come on eventually if you had continued driving. Still, its good that you caught it in time before it dropped that low.

......Mike......

sdg3205
12-17-2015, 07:07 PM
To get the filter off I had to ram a screw driver through it.

It was a DMCH filter (so bosch) but I don't blame the filter. It was on and fine for over a year. I bet something hit it at just the right angle.

I thought the oil light should have come on, but perhaps it didn't drop low enough to trigger it. Or maybe the bulb is burnt out.

Jonathan
12-17-2015, 07:13 PM
I thought the oil light should have come on, but perhaps it didn't drop low enough to trigger it. Or maybe the bulb is burnt out.

Does the light come on when you turn the key to accessories before starting the engine?

DMCVegas
12-17-2015, 08:10 PM
To get the filter off I had to ram a screw driver through it.

One of the best tools I have in the tool box is this one right here:

http://images.gasgoo.com/attachment/Approved/001/506/400_400/001506035.jpg

Only time I've never been able to use it has been on my F150 where it's just easier to use the ratchet attachment and go straight up. Otherwise the pliers will crush the filter to grab a good solid hold of it, and will do it all without leaking.

Lou and "Boo"
12-17-2015, 08:22 PM

Only time I've never been able to use it has been on my F150 where it's just easier to use the ratchet attachment and go straight up. Otherwise the pliers will crush the filter to grab a good solid hold of it, and will do it all without leaking.

That's exactly what I use.

sdg3205
12-17-2015, 08:32 PM

Where were you when I needed one?!

Here's the kicker of the whole debacle; I was literally broken down next to a major marina. I asked them if i could borrow an oil filter wrench (said I could leave ID, etc) and they were all like "no bro, we don't lend tools."

Merry f****** Christmas, ass clown.

Dangermouse
12-18-2015, 07:50 AM
I'll have to get one of those fancy tools Robert has. Though in Dave's case, I doubt that he would have had it with him. More like a garage tool, than a car toolbag tool..

You should have backed the car to the edge of the water and told the marina ass-clown that you would do your best not to spill oil in his marina but as all you had was a hammer and a screwdriver, it couldn't be guaranteed. Now, if he would lend you his oil-filter wrench.......

sdg3205
12-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Hah. Yeah. I usually pack wrenches, sockets, gloves, coolant screw drivers etc. Maybe I need to add filter wrench to the list.

DMCVegas
12-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Where were you when I needed one?!

About 4,000 km away. You should have paged me. :biggrin:

Here's the kicker of the whole debacle; I was literally broken down next to a major marina. I asked them if i could borrow an oil filter wrench (said I could leave ID, etc) and they were all like "no bro, we don't lend tools."

Merry f****** Christmas, ass clown.

Jackasses. If they don't lend tools, one of them could maybe have gotten off his ass to come out and just remove the filter for you.

I'll have to get one of those fancy tools Robert has. Though in Dave's case, I doubt that he would have had it with him. More like a garage tool, than a car toolbag tool..

It's small and compact enough, that it actually fits in with with my tool case. My wife got me a Craftsman mechanic's tool set a few years ago which had it's own case, and also space enough for spare tools. It's big enough to fit the pliers, and I use it often enough that I just don't take it out.

sdg3205
12-18-2015, 11:54 AM
I'm looking forward to sharing some footage with you guys. They did some absolutely stunning shots with a drone along the sea wall. They said they'd gladly share the footage when it's all comped, edited and colour corrected.

It's a lot like the original Dmc promo video we're all familiar with that features Proto 1, except in 1080 HD with a production car :)

micmak
12-18-2015, 08:31 PM
Maybe I'm a bit of an neanderthal, but have to admit, I use a hammer and a screwdriver myself. I have a little chain wrench somewhere, but what the hell, by the time I find the wrench, I will have punched a screwdriver through it! It's an old filter why do you need to be careful and nice with it? I put the new one in hand tight - no wrenches or any more force than hand tight.

......Mike......

sdg3205
01-14-2016, 12:44 PM
Now that the chaos of the holidays is behind us, I had some time to do a compression test and confirm I had no obvious engine damage from the oil filter leak. Here are the results:

Conditions:

• Engine cold
• Engine torn down to VOD (looking for coolant leak)
•Battery close to fully charged (maintained by a trickle charger)
•Cranked 10 -15 cycles (probably way too many) and test repeated 2-3 times per cylinder with all results averaged.
• Running 20w-50

Cyl. 1 - 165 psi
Cyl. 2 - 169 psi
Cyl. 3 - 162 psi
Cyl. 4 - 167 psi
Cyl. 5 - 168 psi
Cyl. 6 - 161 psi

It's nice to see everything within better than 10% of each other.

SamHill
01-14-2016, 02:07 PM
ass clown.

A requirement when working in the marine industry. He also could have at least offered to lend it to you for $150/hr, 1 hour minimum.

opethmike
01-14-2016, 06:04 PM
What in the Sam Hill is going on here?!?!?! BAHAHAHAHA I SO FUNNY

David T
01-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Now that the chaos of the holidays is behind us, I had some time to do a compression test and confirm I had no obvious engine damage from the oil filter leak. Here are the results:

Conditions:

• Engine cold
• Engine torn down to VOD (looking for coolant leak)
•Battery close to fully charged (maintained by a trickle charger)
•Cranked 10 -15 cycles (probably way too many) and test repeated 2-3 times per cylinder with all results averaged.
• Running 20w-50

Cyl. 1 - 165 psi
Cyl. 2 - 169 psi
Cyl. 3 - 162 psi
Cyl. 4 - 167 psi
Cyl. 5 - 168 psi
Cyl. 6 - 161 psi

It's nice to see everything within better than 10% of each other.

If you had a loss of oil it may not have affected the rings as much as other things such as the cams and/or the main and rod bearings. Measure valve lift, inspect for scoring on the lobes and see what your oil pressure is. You can also measure blow-by and monitor oil consumption. You did not mention how many miles on the motor but your high absolute #'s look good. The fact that they are all close is indicative of tight valve sealing. Measure valve clearances. If they are all on the loose side you may have damaged the cams.

sdg3205
01-14-2016, 10:32 PM
I'll check the valves. I doubt the cams would be damaged by an oil level at the "add" mark though. Seems there would be a little grace zone below "add" at which that would happen.

DMC5180
01-15-2016, 08:28 AM
I'll check the valves. I doubt the cams would be damaged by an oil level at the "add" mark though. Seems there would be a little grace zone below "add" at which that would happen.

If your oil level only dropped to the add level, you'll be fine. The add mark is very conservative. As long as the oil light didn't start flashing going around corners or idle, your good. This engine has a large reserve capacity relative to displacement.

Dennis