PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Electrical anomalies of course!

Mrdashbo
12-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Hey guys

I could do with some guidance on a few tiny issues I have. That are quite odd so stay with me.

The first problem is my blower fan I bought a new one from the club and have no real idea of how to wire it up since I didn't have an original one in before. There are just three black wires and one red and one pink. The fan itself only has one connector which I presume is the live? But where does the earth go? Just on the metal case? I went through the the process of trying to find the live with my multi meter and it seems as if none of them has a live feed. (The mode switched by the way is new and so is the fan switch, all fuses and circuit breakers and relays are new and are fine as far as I know)

The second issue is my rh window switch doesn't move the the window but when I switch the mirror switch to the right hand position and operate the mini joystick it moves the the rh window down? Also the rh mirror seems to be live and moving all the time so I've had to pull the socket out. Very strange I have a feeling I may have connected up the sockets under the t panel backwards in some way??

So there we are fee free to call me thick but any help would be fab. Can't wait to drive without steamy Windows. ( please no Tina turner references haha )

Mike

PJ Grady Inc.
12-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Hey guys

I could do with some guidance on a few tiny issues I have. That are quite odd so stay with me.

The first problem is my blower fan I bought a new one from the club and have no real idea of how to wire it up since I didn't have an original one in before. There are just three black wires and one red and one pink. The fan itself only has one connector which I presume is the live? But where does the earth go? Just on the metal case? I went through the the process of trying to find the live with my multi meter and it seems as if none of them has a live feed. (The mode switched by the way is new and so is the fan switch, all fuses and circuit breakers and relays are new and are fine as far as I know)

The second issue is my rh window switch doesn't move the the window but when I switch the mirror switch to the right hand position and operate the mini joystick it moves the the rh window down? Also the rh mirror seems to be live and moving all the time so I've had to pull the socket out. Very strange I have a feeling I may have connected up the sockets under the t panel backwards in some way??

So there we are fee free to call me thick but any help would be fab. Can't wait to drive without steamy Windows. ( please no Tina turner references haha )

Mike

You need to transfer the ground connector from the original motor as it has a provision for the 3 grounds and the Pink one gets connected to the positive along with the small red lead that goes upstream to a diode. It should be attached to the same connector as the pink so must have broken off. We have these connectors if you need one.

As to the second issue that is bizarre and must be transposed wires in the door connections though that would be a first I've heard of. Was a door replaced or were you mucking around with the wires for a different reason?

Rob

Mrdashbo
12-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Rob thanks for the advice, yes I was mucking around with the wires when I had my doors off.

The ground connection that needs transferring I haven't got because I had no original fan in my heater box.

Is the ground wire one wire that goes from the motor and splits to the 3 black connectors on the wiring loom?

Can't seem to find a good reference picture on the net to steer me I the right direction. I also don't seem to have any power coming off the red/pink wire so I think I'll trace it back to the source.

Cheers for ya help

David T
12-19-2015, 06:24 PM
Hey guys

Mike

Somehow the window circuits and the mirror circuits have gotten crossed. The only thing they have in common is that they run together. If you took any of the wires out of the plugs you probably reinserted them incorrectly. The way to fix it is to trace each wire, one-by-one and make sure each goes where it is supposed to. Or maybe a plug was connected to another the wrong way? As for the black wires on the fan motor, there is a brass clip that has several terminals on it so all of the black wires can attach to it and it is held to the motor frame by one of the screws that secures the motor to the box.

Mrdashbo
12-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Success
Thanks guys fan motor is now running perfectly I did an install
Before heading off to work this morning and it now works a treat.
Haven't got to the weird mirror window switch saga yet but at least it's one job ticked off the list.

Noticed my mode switch vac lines hadn't been reconnected from when I had the centre console off. Is there a diagram for where each hose is routed my copy of the manual is somewhat faded

Thanks again guys
Mike

sdg3205
12-20-2015, 11:29 PM
There is only one way for the female vacuum line plug to fit onto the male back of the mode switch.

Mrdashbo
12-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Oh sorry I never meant the mode switch plug I mean the hoses that connect to the heater box are off can't remember which way they go back.. Doh!

sdg3205
12-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Fire up the car to get vacuum. Should be fairly easy to figure out where they go given hose length and presence or absence of vacuum.

David T
12-23-2015, 10:53 PM
The hoses are supposed to fit into a plug and that is what you remove from the mode switch. Some cars don't have the plug, the hoses fit directly onto the mode switch so you can lose where each hose goes. Refer to Workshop manual N:08:15 and :16 to hook up the hoses.

sdg3205
12-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Sounds like the mode switch routing isn't the issue Dave.

David T
12-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Sounds like the mode switch routing isn't the issue Dave.

Yes, but the reference I gave him will get him the information he needs to hook up the hoses to the mode switch AND the actuators.

Mrdashbo
12-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys

Yeah i know the way plug goes in the mode switch and its good idea to test which has vacuum on what setting that way I should be able to tell what goes where. It's weird there is no reference in the manual or anywhere online of a proper routing plus the ones that go to the hot water valve and the big vacuum tank

Prob a bit of trial and error here I think

Ron
12-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Another:

While all of the Window Motor wires are Slate w/tracer, all of the Mirror Motor wires are White w/tracer (except the capacitors, which have Red and Black)....

Mrdashbo
12-25-2015, 10:10 AM
ah yes well it appears my manual was missing that page its a bad photocopy scanned into a computer so it was so faxed it may as well have not existed.

cheers guys

Ron
12-25-2015, 11:24 AM
:wrenchin:

fwiw, the page wasn't from the manual, iirc....

=======

Check out the hybrid doc list, inc. the Workshop Manual (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2866-Searchable-Workshop-Technical-Bulletins-and-Volvo-Engine-Manuals) in the Resources Section (http://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Resources).

DMCMW Dave
12-25-2015, 12:35 PM
Service manual N:08:15 and N:08:16