PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean Ring

Peripatetic
12-24-2015, 01:28 AM
So this is a project I've been working on for some time, usually it's the first thing shoved to the side whenever anything else comes up that needs doing.

I'm a Jeweler and I design people's custom jewelry on a CAD program and if I even get a spare five minutes I use that time to design a DeLorean Ring. The concept renders I've attached are actually not of the latest version of the doors. The "DMC" on the ring may or may not be on the final product depending on how the project goes and if I can get licensing from the DeLorean Motor Company (Texas). I haven't officially approached them about the ring yet, I'm waiting to have just one built first.

It may be months before we start offering this ring because of my big mouth. Normally the company I work for, Art & Gems Jewelers (http://artgemsjewelers.com/), only works with Sterling Silver, Platinum, All Golds, and Palladium but I suggested that a cool thing we could do is make the ring out of Stainless Steel from an actual DeLorean. DeLorean Ring made of a DeLorean. Everyone involved loved the idea so much but we don't have tools to work with Stainless Steel Jewelry. The tools aren't special, but you can't go mixing the tools you use or you ruin your sweepings and refining. I visited the DMCMW and asked if they had any spare body panels that were not salvageable that I could melt down. They said, and I quote, "We'll give this to you for free with purchase of a DeLorean". Back against the wall at that point.

The doors open up to reveal four Princess Cut Diamonds to represent the headlights and there are colored baguettes at the bottom (not pictured) in the color and pattern of the Taillights. Earlier designs of the ring had a button to open the doors but we got rid of that and they should open by just pulling. Its hard to explain how the new version works, but know its easier and better than a button. We're using springs for tension that keep the doors either open or closed. We're going to test and compare different materials for the springs to see which is stronger and longer lasting (18K Gold, Stainless Steel, other, etc). The ridges have a dual inspirations between the front grille and back lourves and as one final detail we've recently decided is to have the option to stamp the last 5 digits of your VIN between the bottom "taillights".

The ring concept right now is about 1cm wide.

Michael
12-24-2015, 04:32 AM
That is very cool!

I read a story several years ago about someone who made a wedding ring from a DeLorean door (believe it was in "Deloreans" mag). It was a simple design, nothing like yours.

I'm sure you would have no problem at all in sourcing free stainless panels. What kind of ballpark price are you looking at? How much metal would you need?

88KPH
12-24-2015, 05:28 AM
Not something I'd ever be interested in personally, but can admire the quality and workmanship.
What sort of ball-park price would you be thinking?

sdg3205
12-24-2015, 09:23 AM
That's a great idea. Very nice.

Michael
12-24-2015, 10:29 AM
I just visited your website. I really like your style! I have never been a jewelry wearer, never could get used to rings or things hanging off my neck, but some of those rings look pretty sweet. The colors just set them off.

I love the idea of using DeLorean skins for this too. Makes it even more unique. Would you be willing to offer a discount for those who supplied the panels?

DMCMW Dave
12-24-2015, 01:13 PM
I love the idea of using DeLorean skins for this too. Makes it even more unique. Would you be willing to offer a discount for those who supplied the panels?

Typically in something like this the cost of the material is negligible. How many rings do you suppose he can make from that rear quarter?

BTW, although he didn't make it clear on this post, he did buy a car and we did give him the panel!

Bitsyncmaster
12-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Typically in something like this the cost of the material is negligible. How many rings do you suppose he can make from that rear quarter?

BTW, although he didn't make it clear on this post, he did buy a car and we did give him the panel!

So the cost of that panel was about $30,000:wink:

DMC-81
12-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Super cool!! :thumbup:

Ras12
12-24-2015, 11:33 PM
Very cool!

Peripatetic
12-25-2015, 06:17 PM

Pretty much, although we can probably offer to custom make rings from people's personal panels, but that's further down the road before I can say anything that will still be relevant. We are also looking into making more DeLorean jewelry, but one thing at a time.

And yes, I got the car and it's fantastically fantastic.

As for cost: I don't know. At least not yet. We should be working on the project again since everyone is all gifted out (Merry Christmas, btw) and it'll be awhile before the Valentine's Day rush starts.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words, as well. It really made my day.

Michael
12-25-2015, 06:26 PM
Just me, but I would be just as happy with the cost savings of 4 CZ's over diamonds. Cubic Zirconia was good enough for my wife(she did not want a diamond) because we used the surplus to add on the down payment for a home.

If I were to waltz in with 4 diamonds on a Delorean ring....well you do the math.

Shuttleman
12-26-2015, 12:18 AM
Nice work!

81DMCTurbo
12-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Would love one of these to be my wedding band!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12-27-2015, 09:46 PM
So the cost of that panel was about $30,000:wink:

Hopefully he can write the 30k off as R&D! :D

I agree with using simulated stones if done in all stainless steel. Or platinum with diamonds and maybe the doors in delorean stainless steel would make sense.

A pendant would be cool, too.

Peripatetic
01-16-2016, 09:14 PM
So a minor update on this, we started cutting into the panel. It broke the sheet metal cutter we had so we had to go and buy a new one. 39128

But we managed to cut some pieces and weigh and measure them and discovered something about the exterior of all of our cars. It's thin. Maybe all cars are this thin, but at the very least the Stainless Steel is 0.70-0.75mm thick which is about seven ordinary pieces of printer paper thick. We weren't able to cast the pieces we cut off, we had a waterfall coming from the wall and everyone scrambled to save all the expensive stuff against that wall. Threw the whole day off.

Here I have a bracelet of the DMC logo. I'll also make a ring like this. And we have plans to also make this out of the same piece of Stainless Steel. It's hard to see in this computer generated image, but it's brushed. It'll show more in the real version.

Laz
01-16-2016, 10:40 PM
love it! I would love to get this bracelet and a ring.