PDA

View Full Version : Electrifying the exterior??

Timebender
01-01-2016, 10:35 PM
I'm wondering of there's a way to have a small amount of voltage course through the body- specifically the front fenders and maybe the hood, as that seems to be where everyone wants to touch the car to see what stainless steel feels like. I just recently washed and cleaned up the car, took it out to La Jolla today for a wedding rehearsal by the beach, and parked in an area where there didn't seem to be a lot of foot traffic (by the art museum), and not too many cars, only to come back and find lots of cars nearby, and lots of greasy fingerprints.

If I could get 9 volts - just enough to give a small jolt, along with some kind of recorded verbal warning (and maybe a window sticker), that could work.

sdg3205
01-01-2016, 11:15 PM
Believe it or not we have talked about this[emoji15]. I think we concluded it was a liability disaster waiting to happen. All you need is one guy with a pacemaker to touch an electric panel.

Dangermouse
01-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Just rub the fender really hard with a piece of carpet until you build up enough static in it ;)

Only good for one "toucher" though.

DMCVegas
01-02-2016, 12:04 AM
This reminds me of a story I read several years ago on Something Awful if memory serves. Guy was recounting about how his dad wired up a second ignition coil to the bumper of his car to shock any kids that grabbed onto it as he drove by to go sliding around in the snow.

Anyway, a hot panel is enough to deter most people once they get burned. And there really isn't anyone to blame but themselves, and people will accept that. Electrocute them though? You're still going to have finger prints, and now maybe someone denting your car out of anger.

Kinda like how I joke with my wife whenever I go hunting for Hot Wheels, or BTTF is on TV, I'll tell her "You knew I owned a DeLorean when you married me, this is the life you chose." Same thing here: Fingerprints, dumb questions, and cocaine & flux capacitor jokes; This is the life we chose when we bought DeLoreans.

Peripatetic
01-02-2016, 01:56 AM
Solution found.

I couldn't find an example with an actual DeLorean.

Or fancy velvet rope (http://www.uline.com/BL_517/Velvet-Rope-Crowd-Control?keywords=Velvet).

Or actually I wonder if there is a proximity based beeper. "Beeper" being a technical term for beeping device.

Bitsyncmaster
01-02-2016, 05:12 AM
I thought of this when car jacking was first showing up. It would not be hard to hook up a high voltage power supply (50,000 volts) like used in a stun gun. Then you would need a ground wire under your car to complete the circuit.

A little extreme to limit fingerprints but if your in a bad area of town it's something I would consider.

Tillsy
01-02-2016, 06:05 AM
Excluding liability issues, the stainless panels each have a ground connection to the frame so you would need to isolate those first otherwise you'd fry the bejesus out of every electrical system in the car :)

nullset
01-02-2016, 09:34 AM
One project I never got to finish: The "delerimen" - A theremin that uses two deloreans as the antennas. Someone with more time than me and two deloreans, make it happen!

Michael
01-02-2016, 10:12 AM
https://youtu.be/bMtqRir7dco

Timebender
01-02-2016, 12:25 PM
What 80's movie is that from?

DMCVegas
01-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Excluding liability issues, the stainless panels each have a ground connection to the frame so you would need to isolate those first otherwise you'd fry the bejesus out of every electrical system in the car :)

Disconnecting ground straps from exterior body panels is a great way to get electrocuted. At best you'll get knocked on your ass. At worst you could start a fire at a gas pump. That was a hard lesson learned back during the Dust Bowl. Many people would have their vehicles conk-out during a dust storm as the static electricity built up in the dust particles would charge up the cars and shorted everything out. Others were electrocuted when they went to open their car doors after storms and got shocked.

Ground Straps are safety equipment on cars, towers, and other equipment and are there for a reason. DON'T remove them!

JohnZ
01-02-2016, 04:28 PM
What 80's movie is that from?

It's one of the satirical false advertisements that are in RoboCop 2 by Irvin Kershner ;)

mluder
01-02-2016, 11:37 PM
I've a better idea - And like most good ideas it's not even mine.
One member here (don't recall who) said when he does car shows he hangs a sign in the window that says "FOR SALE: $150,000." That price tag seems to deter touchers and no one gets electrocuted.
Side bonus - someone might actually buy your car for the asking price.

Cheers
Steve

Timebender
01-03-2016, 01:29 AM
That's a great idea...