PDA

View Full Version : Question for skiiers who travel (ski bag input request)

jmettee
01-02-2016, 09:59 AM
I'm heading on my first ski trip involving a plane in February. I'm trying to decide between a padded bag or a hard shell case for carrying 2 pairs of skis & poles. I want wheels on either no matter what, but not sure if padded bags are sufficient or if there is too high of a risk of damage with them. Plastic case seems better all around, but I might not be thinking of potential problems with them.

Other questions:
1) Do you typically check the ski bag or carry it down the jetway & drop it at the side of the plane?
2) Any recommendations or suggestions based on any bad experiences with TSA or baggage with during your travels?
3) I just want to carry the skis & poles in the bag, boots will be with our carry-on so we never lose them.
4) Any specific bag/carrier brand & models are welcome :)

Thanks

Jonathan
01-02-2016, 10:26 AM
I'll give you one thought on potential problems... coming from someone who has used hard cases for golf clubs on airplanes. Not exactly the same, but may be valuable to consider nonetheless.

The biggest issue I found with a hard case for travelling was that it would not go into the trunk of any car. The bulk size of it and the fact that it doesn't bend, meant it had to be laid across the rear seats. If you're driving a sedan to and from the airport, either at home or your destination, you might not have space for the skis/luggage AND people. An SUV or van is probably going to be fine though.

Delta DeLorean
01-02-2016, 10:48 AM
When going by plane most of the time it works out cheaper not to bring your skis and poles. Just rent them when you are in the mountains. Saves you a lot of work... Just bring your own ski boots in your suitcase with you.
Ski rental places have top of the line ski sets available, and if for some reason you are not happy with them you can exchange them for a different set, free of charge. Good possability to try out some different brands!
Where are you going if I may ask? Here in europe we are waiting for some new snow...

Bitsyncmaster
01-02-2016, 11:37 AM
I have a soft ski bag which is about 10 years old and starting to show a little wear from 10 west coast airplane trips. Mine is just for one pair of skies and poles and you also pack a lot of ski clothing into the bag for padding the skis. I always ty-wrap some foam over the ends of my skis and ty-warp the skis together not trusting the ski brakes to hold them. This one bag is light enough to use over shoulder strap with no problem.

My brother has a soft double ski bag on wheels which is really big and heavy.

I check my skis and a suite case and carry on my boots and helmet in a smaller carry on bag.

Ski bag usually gets inspected by TSA.

Dangermouse
01-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Sitting on a plane at present with 2 snowboards in the hold :)

We just pad the inside of the bag with as much clothing as possible to protect the boards, even though it is a padded bag.

At Atlanta, there is a separate drop off area for ski bags, once you have checked them in and got a tag on them. It counts as one of your checked bags so you pay accordingly.

Don't forget you have to get them from the airport to the ski area so rent an appropriate car. Or get a shuttle bus

Bitsyncmaster
01-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Most cars have a fold down seat but if your stuck, you can take the skis out and put them on rear deck to the dash with a soft bag. A large 4 wheel drive rental is best but airport rentals cost a lot. Soft bags will give you more options.

Remember your ski bags also need to be less than 50 lbs.

Lenny
01-02-2016, 04:38 PM
I have always just used a soft non padded bag and never had a problem. To give you an idea of how long it has been. I made the bag my self from a kit sold by "Frostline Kits" They have been out of business for a long time.

jmettee
01-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Thanks everyone. Looks like the padded soft bags are not much of a concern, especially if packed with some more soft clothing & gear. It also sounds like you definitely check the skis as opposed to carrying them to drop plane side from the jetway.

We are planning a group of 4, so I am thinking we will rent an SUV that has enough room to put them inside or strap to a roof rack if it has one. Or perhaps we will just rent 2 cars, 1 for each couple. That is if the resort we choose has a convenient shuttle. At first I thought we were going to Whistler, BC, but now we are looking at some Colorado resorts. Currently undecided.

Jonathan
01-03-2016, 09:20 AM
I can see the up side to renting skis when you get there, but if you are anywhere near as attached to your skis as I am to my golf clubs, it would just never be the same. Maybe your own boots and someone else's skis might work, but for the times I've gone places and borrowed or rented golf clubs, I don't enjoy it as much. Demo'ing a new driver is ok, just not the whole set. Could be the same with skis.

Expect to put your ski boots under the seat in front of you on the plane. Good idea to keep them with you instead of checking them and a better idea to keep them out of the overhead bin. They are heavy enough to really clobber someone if they were to fall on someone's head. I think it is a rule with airlines that they must go below, but that seems to get followed as religiously as we see folks with super bright headlights and dark, dark tints on their windows.

Have fun wherever you end up going. From BC to Colorado, the Rockies are a good choice!

jmettee
01-03-2016, 09:40 AM
I can see the up side to renting skis when you get there, but if you are anywhere near as attached to your skis as I am to my golf clubs, it would just never be the same.

Oh yeah, forgot to address that. I definitely am taking my boots no matter what. And they are going as carry-on with me....don't want any chance of losing the boots. There's no replacement to a familiar & good fitting boot - my feed are narrow, so finding a boot to fit well is a challenge for me.

Skis - I am somewhat attached to mine, though I realize that they are all-mountain skis. If there is a lot of deep/fresh powder, I will strongly consider renting powder skis.

Bitsyncmaster
01-03-2016, 09:59 AM
You will not like powder at first. Takes a few runs in it to get to like it. Also nice to carry a backpack since you want to dress with layers. It's pretty cold at 10,000 feet in heavy winds but some nice days you almost want to not were a jacket. We usually pack a lunch and drinks in the backpacks. I pack mittens and a pair of gloves. Don't forget sunscreen.

Now you know why I ski with a backpack.