PDA

View Full Version : Engine Water pipe question

PeterBiggerstaff
01-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Happy new year everyone!

Vin #10985 has been making steady progress since my last post. I've had the engine running which was very exciting, but I've had to strip the inlet and exhaust manifolds off as they were both leaking.

My question is, what does the pipe highlighted in red in this picture do? Obviously it is a water pipe, but I can't follow it as it joins up to a pipe that is sandwiched between the pontoon and the transmission. The photo is not my engine, on mine it is severely rusted and needs to be replaced before I put the intake manifold back on. Also, does anyone know the DMC part number, as I can't find this pipe in any of the diagrams.

Rich_NYS
01-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Hi Peter, I just recently removed mine but not yet sure what it's called. I've heard many suggest replacing it with hose, and I'm planning to do the same.

If I find the part# I'll be sure to post it.

Good to see you're doing well with your restoration! :thumbup:

Edit: Water Return Pipe 102482

Morpheus
01-03-2016, 10:24 PM
That is the heater return pipe, it's responsible for returning coolant from the heater core in the A/C box. It has a tendency to rust as it is mild steel that was originally cad plated, or so I have been told. If it's not rusted too badly, you can blast it and have it re-plated. Some vendors offer a stainless steel version of this pipe as well. I'm not sure I would replace it with straight hose, due to engine vibration/rubbing issues.

PeterBiggerstaff
01-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the replies,

It's too far gone to be salvaged, I can feel the bottom is very thin. I'll see if I can get a stainless pipe made up. All the hoses, clamps and vacuum lines need replacing anyway, so I should be able to get this made up at the same place I go to.

Bitsyncmaster
01-04-2016, 04:41 AM
I've been running a hose that replaced that pipe for many years now and no problems.

BABIS
01-04-2016, 06:59 AM
I've been running a hose that replaced that pipe for many years now and no problems.

IMHO it's the best solution.. that pipe was mounted just for assembly purpose at the factory..

PeterBiggerstaff
01-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Well... it took me almost 4 hours to get that pipe out!

It was so badly rusted that it had welded itself to the rubber pipe coming in from the front of the car. Long story short, I had to cut the rubber pipe to get it off. I will be replacing the entire length from the where stainless pipe under the car ends up to the pump with rubber hose.

Thanks for the advice!

Bitsyncmaster
01-05-2016, 05:24 AM
Well... it took me almost 4 hours to get that pipe out!

It was so badly rusted that it had welded itself to the rubber pipe coming in from the front of the car. Long story short, I had to cut the rubber pipe to get it off. I will be replacing the entire length from the where stainless pipe under the car ends up to the pump with rubber hose.

Thanks for the advice!

On my car the nipple on the pump was a little larger than the pipe going to the frame. But my silicone hose was able to expand enough to make it work.

Lou and "Boo"
01-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Water pipe? I thought it was called a bong.

In all seriousness I'd like to change that water pipe under the intake manifold someday, mine's all rusty. Bill R. has been running a heater hose section there for years without issue and he drives his car daily. But the stainless pipe seems enticing.

PJ Grady Inc.
01-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Personally I'd recommend staying with a pipe whether it be plated steel or stainless. Keep in mind you're matching a 3/4" W.P. outlet and heater pipe to a 5/8" heater pipe so a tapered hose should be used even if you retain the heater pipe. If you do run a straight hose you'll need to add a joiner pipe as it would be difficult to find a tapered hose long enough to reach the W.P. outlet.
Rob

DMCMW Dave
01-05-2016, 04:24 PM
Water pipe? I thought it was called a bong.

In all seriousness I'd like to change that water pipe under the intake manifold someday, mine's all rusty. Bill R. has been running a heater hose section there for years without issue and he drives his car daily. But the stainless pipe seems enticing.

Keep an eye on the stainless replacements. There were some around without the "bump" on the end of the tube, and the hose would tend to blow off at the worst possible time.

PeterBiggerstaff
01-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Keep in mind you're matching a 3/4" W.P. outlet and heater pipe to a 5/8" heater pipe
Didn't see this until I had already bought the hose haha. I checked both rubber pipes I took out and they measured the same size, so I thought it was the same both ends. My new pipe fits the front stainless pipe perfectly, but of course won't fit on the water pump inlet.

I'm at the point where I just need to walk away now, I've been working on the car full time for week and I'm getting frustrated, so I'm having a weekend off and will revisit later, perhaps when my next batch of parts arrive in a month or so.

DMC-81
01-08-2016, 08:02 AM
I'm at the point where I just need to walk away now, I've been working on the car full time for week and I'm getting frustrated, so I'm having a weekend off and will revisit later, perhaps when my next batch of parts arrive in a month or so.

Hi Peter,
That's great that you realize you're at that point. I had several points where I had to do the same. After a short break, you'll come back with renewed mental focus, confidence, and energy.

You're doing a great job by the way! :thumbup: