PDA

View Full Version : Ebay listing

alastairmansell
01-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Hi all
this is my first journey into the forum. It was recommended by an enthusiast in New Zealand
I'm after a 5 speed, driveable but cosmetic issues are OK. Basically, DeLoreans just don't come up for sale in NZ, so importing is the only option.
After getting excited about one I found online only to find the dealer had sold it and hadn't (and still hasn't) updated his listing I have found this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-/172059389652
And I suspect because of scams, eBay blocks certain stuff from overseas enquirers so I can't ask any questions, and even have to use "extra" software to be able to search eBay!
Does anyone know this car and have any comments?
The vendor has some pretty dodgy feedback, so has anyone dealt with Motorcars Ltd New York?
Am very happy to take any advice. I know nothing, am mechanically inept and thousands of miles away, but keen to get one and learn, so any help will be gratefully received.

DMCVegas
01-14-2016, 03:44 PM
That is NOT a $19K car. It's missing exterior trim, headliners, has a half-assed re-carpet of broken bolsters (weirdest upholstery I've ever seen), and has a creased left front fender. Looks like a formerly painted car that was stripped. You can do much better than that.

Have you tried contacting any of the vendors here stateside? I know that they usually only advertise their picture-perfect cars online, but they might have some decent used cars that a customer is wanting to sell.

Delta DeLorean
01-14-2016, 03:53 PM
I would leave this car alone. Very rough and overpriced.295$ documentation fee?
There are no pictures from the frame or the engine. You always need to look at the frame, it can be very rusted or rotten, especially on east coast and Canadian cars. I bought a running and driving car for 20000$ but it took me a year to buy one. I'm from Europe and had it shipped from the USA. Not every seller is interested in overseas buyers, so it is not only about finding the right car,you also need to find the right seller. Use a shipping company that offers a escrow service for the payment so you don't loose al your money on some scam

Dangermouse
01-14-2016, 04:18 PM
The current seller bought it a couple of months ago for about $11,400.

According the previous owner (before MCNY), he bought it in 1999 and it was indeed a formerly black painted car, but it hadn't run since 99. Perhaps MCNY have it now running, who knows? Also, it has 109k on it, according to the PO, not the 9k shown in the current ad. Again, according to the PO, it needed a crumple tube extension on the frame, as well as a complete mechanical overhaul. Best check with MCNY on what work they have done on it.

Delta DeLorean
01-18-2016, 09:08 AM
shipping should not be over 2000$ from California? Don't know about NZ tax. Check out craigslist in California, there are some nice ones for sale at the moment. Try to find one on the west coast to keep your shipping costs down!

alastairmansell
01-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Thanks to all who have replied.
It looks like this is not the car for me.
I appreciate the responses and suggestions.
My situation is I am getting a $NZ50,000 inheritance from my father who passed away 3 years ago. I have decided not to pay it off my mortgage, but to get a car with personality. Something to remember him by.
I have absolutely no mechanical skills so a "project" car is probably beyond me.
I can have it serviced by competent mechanics once I get it though.
So I'm looking for a driveable 5 speed
With todays exchange rate and freight, I shouldn't spend more than $US25,000, which after freight, and NZ sales tax will use up all of my $50,000, but realistically can probably stretch to $30,000.
I am happy with a private sale, especially if it is via this forum and will be using an escrow service.
So, any suggestions continue to be welcome. I just need the ricght person who is happy with their loved D being shipped to the other side of the world, and I'm away.
Alastair

mluder
01-18-2016, 08:37 PM
A friend of mine here in the Portland Oregon area has just listed his car...

It's a nice car in good condition.
http://www.thedream.forsale/

Cheers
Steve

gullwingD
01-18-2016, 11:12 PM
A bit overpriced for that one... wish he wouldn't have applied photo filters over the images of a car he's trying to sell

Cheers
Steve

sdg3205
01-18-2016, 11:28 PM
A bit overpriced for that one...

Isn't your "wanted" ad specifying a late 81, grey interior lower mileage car? What is that worth to you? That's what his car is worth to him.

gullwingD
01-18-2016, 11:57 PM
If someone will pay that much for that car, then it's worth that much.

Isn't your "wanted" ad specifying a late 81, grey interior lower mileage car? What is that worth to you? That's what his car is worth to him.

alastairmansell
01-19-2016, 03:36 PM

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve
A bit out of my price range unfortunately. I'm stuck at $US30,000, which is really $5000 over budget anyway.
But a joy looking at the photos. They are beautiful cars, aren't they?
Alastair

88KPH
01-19-2016, 06:54 PM
That certainly looks a nice/sorted car, but have to agree filters on sale pics is abit off putting.
Never seen an ad with Bitcoin accepted before.

Back to our Kiwi friend. If you have very limited mechanical knowledge/experience in a country far far away.........
IMO, I'd really push your limits and get a sorted car, don't even think about ones like you originally linked to.
It will not be cheaper in the long run and you may feel very disappointed with what you've done with your father's parting gift.
No, get a nice runner, and enjoy the memories. Good luck.

Where in NZ are you, spent a couple years out there. Beautiful country.

alastairmansell
01-24-2016, 02:26 PM
The search continues
Any feedback on this one
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/delorean/dmc-12/1804804.html
It seems to be a new listing so may not have sold, unlike at least one other on Hemmings.
Any questions I should ask the dealer?
Thanks
Alastair

Rich
01-24-2016, 03:07 PM
The search continues
Any feedback on this one
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/delorean/dmc-12/1804804.html

Any questions I should ask the dealer?

Questions for dealer or have somebody inspect before you bid:
1. Frame photos needed, look for rust damage. Most important.
2. Are headliners all OK? None sagging? Affordable repair.
3. Does the auto antenna work OK? Photo says it doesn't. Affordable repair.
4. Wheel and tire condition.

If engine runs right as seller suggests that's a plus. But hard to prove remotely. Besides that, #1 and #4 are the ones that would affect your "driveable" goal. Of course, other stuff like a packed-up cooling system or goofy wiring mods can make it less driveable; no comment on these.
And no comment on what it's worth since actual condition is TBD.

Not questions, only observations:
- Body looks dent-free. Photos are not quite enough to prove it so far. At $30K ask you want dent-free.
- Major eyebrow repair called for on front fascia. Have seldom seen one with 3 "brows" on it like this. Repairable.
- Good upgrades/replacements will include trunk carpet, coolant bottle, throttle de-ice recall kit
- Dash and leather inside look OK. An inspection could tell you if the carpeting is OK or not. Hard to tell.

You do have a copy of The Delorean Buyer's Guide, right? By James Espey.

alastairmansell
01-25-2016, 02:54 AM
That certainly looks a nice/sorted car, but have to agree filters on sale pics is abit off putting.
Never seen an ad with Bitcoin accepted before.

Back to our Kiwi friend. If you have very limited mechanical knowledge/experience in a country far far away.........
IMO, I'd really push your limits and get a sorted car, don't even think about ones like you originally linked to.
It will not be cheaper in the long run and you may feel very disappointed with what you've done with your father's parting gift.
No, get a nice runner, and enjoy the memories. Good luck.

Where in NZ are you, spent a couple years out there. Beautiful country.

I'm in Wellington. Yes, we are pretty blessed in this country. However distance has its disadvantages. And as for the exchange rate. Makes a nice car very expensive.
What bought you to our shores? Where were you based?
I'm hoping someone on the forum will recommend something.

alastairmansell
01-25-2016, 07:54 PM
Questions for dealer or have somebody inspect before you bid:
1. Frame photos needed, look for rust damage. Most important.
2. Are headliners all OK? None sagging? Affordable repair.
3. Does the auto antenna work OK? Photo says it doesn't. Affordable repair.
4. Wheel and tire condition.

If engine runs right as seller suggests that's a plus. But hard to prove remotely. Besides that, #1 and #4 are the ones that would affect your "driveable" goal. Of course, other stuff like a packed-up cooling system or goofy wiring mods can make it less driveable; no comment on these.
And no comment on what it's worth since actual condition is TBD.

Not questions, only observations:
- Body looks dent-free. Photos are not quite enough to prove it so far. At $30K ask you want dent-free.
- Major eyebrow repair called for on front fascia. Have seldom seen one with 3 "brows" on it like this. Repairable.
- Good upgrades/replacements will include trunk carpet, coolant bottle, throttle de-ice recall kit
- Dash and leather inside look OK. An inspection could tell you if the carpeting is OK or not. Hard to tell.

You do have a copy of The Delorean Buyer's Guide, right? By James Espey.

Great feedback, thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean by "eyebrow repair ...on front facia". Could you clarify, with reference to the picture number?
What is the de-ice kit? It snows here once every 10 years, so is it needed. Take your point on carpet upgrade. Others would be discussed with local mechanic.
Have ordered the book from Amazon. Dispatched today. Won't ship direct, so going via mail redirect system in the US. Likely to be 2 weeks to arrival.
Would really like a private buy in California. Good excuse for a "business" trip.

Is there any feedback on the dealer? Anybody live up that way who could have a look?

Thanks

Alastair

Dangermouse
01-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Alastair

Search this forum for Volo, de-ice kit, and Eyebrow Repair (but not together ;) )and you will find your answers. There is a wealth of info if you look for it.

Rich
01-25-2016, 09:45 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "eyebrow repair ...on front facia". Could you clarify, with reference to the picture number?

Have ordered the book from Amazon. Dispatched today. Won't ship direct, so going via mail redirect system in the US. Likely to be 2 weeks to arrival.

Sorry, can explain the eyebrow repair on front fascia a bit better than I did.

Alastair's right, you can search it out on the forum and also you can refer to p.21 of James's book when you get it.

See photos 22 and 36 in the listing. Some D's eventually develop a warp in the upper parts of the front fascia (bumper?), the large flexible molded cap over the front of the car. That lip above the headlights and the black "grille" is supposed to be a smooth, large-radius arc. These warps, usually seen above one or both pairs of headlights (the "eyes"?) became known to the community as "eyebrows". Look closely above the DMC emblem on the black grill in photo 36 and you can spot a reverse eyebrow where the fascia lip is bent down somehow, so you are looking at about 2.5 eyebrows there.

The options are to repair or replace. Or live with it like the previous owner did. I think the fiberglass front fascias are still available but no more originals unless they come off of a parts car?

No effect on driveability, which is the main part of your search criteria.

As for your request for a Calif. car: if I hear of anybody in my area looking to sell a D and it's not listed on DMCT then I'll try to remember to PM you.

Riley88
01-25-2016, 10:18 PM
That car has some goofy interior lol what the shit

alastairmansell
01-25-2016, 11:27 PM
Sorry, can explain the eyebrow repair on front fascia a bit better than I did.

Alastair's right, you can search it out on the forum and also you can refer to p.21 of James's book when you get it.

See photos 22 and 36 in the listing. Some D's eventually develop a warp in the upper parts of the front fascia (bumper?), the large flexible molded cap over the front of the car. That lip above the headlights and the black "grille" is supposed to be a smooth, large-radius arc. These warps, usually seen above one or both pairs of headlights (the "eyes"?) became known to the community as "eyebrows". Look closely above the DMC emblem on the black grill in photo 36 and you can spot a reverse eyebrow where the fascia lip is bent down somehow, so you are looking at about 2.5 eyebrows there.

The options are to repair or replace. Or live with it like the previous owner did. I think the fiberglass front fascias are still available but no more originals unless they come off of a parts car?

No effect on driveability, which is the main part of your search criteria.

As for your request for a Calif. car: if I hear of anybody in my area looking to sell a D and it's not listed on DMCT then I'll try to remember to PM you.

Ok. I saw the eyebrows, but as they were on both sides I thought they were a design feature! Probably happy to live with them. Part of the character.
I see that there is another thread about this car since the listing. Quite interesting.
Still interested
Thanks again.
A

alastairmansell
01-26-2016, 12:18 AM
That car has some goofy interior lol what the shit
I'm after something pretty stock. What parts come to your attention? Let me know the photo numbers if you could.
Thanks
Alastair

Rich
01-26-2016, 01:38 AM
I'm after something pretty stock. What parts come to your attention? Let me know the photo numbers if you could.
Thanks
Alastair

Others can comment as well.
It's pretty much stock in there from what I can see. Original stereo, no cruise control, nothing too hacked?

1. Photo 6 - shifter boot is screwed down x 4 places? The boot is supposed to clip in, no screws on an OE boot. Non-stock, have not seen that particular fix before. At least the screws are black. Replaceable with correct boot.
2. Photo 9 - why are there 3 or 4 black binder clips strung along the cargo net cord way over on left side of photo? Repairable or replaceable net/cord.
3. Photo 34 - binnacle frame is delaminated and drooping a bit across the top. Lots of them do that. Repairable.
4. Photo 34 - trip meter reset knob is busted off. To the left of "MPH" on the speedo. Again, repairable with vendor kit/parts.
5. Photo 35 - OK, not quite part of the interior - the door lights aren't lit with doors up. They pulled the fuse or something else is wrong. Repairable.

Give seller credit for lots of useful photos - except missing the frame and the carpeting. You could ask them for more if interested.

And don't get too hung up on a California car. While most of them have been here since new there are cars here in Calif. that have spent years in cold, salty places - and vice versa.

alastairmansell
01-26-2016, 04:20 PM
Others can comment as well.
It's pretty much stock in there from what I can see. Original stereo, no cruise control, nothing too hacked?

1. Photo 6 - shifter boot is screwed down x 4 places? The boot is supposed to clip in, no screws on an OE boot. Non-stock, have not seen that particular fix before. At least the screws are black. Replaceable with correct boot.
2. Photo 9 - why are there 3 or 4 black binder clips strung along the cargo net cord way over on left side of photo? Repairable or replaceable net/cord.
3. Photo 34 - binnacle frame is delaminated and drooping a bit across the top. Lots of them do that. Repairable.
4. Photo 34 - trip meter reset knob is busted off. To the left of "MPH" on the speedo. Again, repairable with vendor kit/parts.
5. Photo 35 - OK, not quite part of the interior - the door lights aren't lit with doors up. They pulled the fuse or something else is wrong. Repairable.

Give seller credit for lots of useful photos - except missing the frame and the carpeting. You could ask them for more if interested.

And don't get too hung up on a California car. While most of them have been here since new there are cars here in Calif. that have spent years in cold, salty places - and vice versa.

Thanks. Very helpful. Doesn't seem too significant, actually reassuring. They seem to be the cosmetic things I'm happy to deal with after I get one.
California thing is more practicality. As well as a lower potential for cold/wet/salt issues I was thinking lower shipping costs and if it was a private sale a slim chance I could fly over and meet whoever was passing their car to my care.
A

88KPH
01-26-2016, 07:06 PM
I was out there working with an engineering firm in Auckland, but I also bought a cheap campervan and spent a couple of months seeing both Islands.
Have returned a couple of times as Brother-in-law moved, and got married out there.

alastairmansell
01-26-2016, 08:17 PM
Hi all
this is my first journey into the forum. It was recommended by an enthusiast in New Zealand
I'm after a 5 speed, driveable but cosmetic issues are OK. Basically, DeLoreans just don't come up for sale in NZ, so importing is the only option.
After getting excited about one I found online only to find the dealer had sold it and hadn't (and still hasn't) updated his listing I have found this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-/172059389652
And I suspect because of scams, eBay blocks certain stuff from overseas enquirers so I can't ask any questions, and even have to use "extra" software to be able to search eBay!
Does anyone know this car and have any comments?
The vendor has some pretty dodgy feedback, so has anyone dealt with Motorcars Ltd New York?
Am very happy to take any advice. I know nothing, am mechanically inept and thousands of miles away, but keen to get one and learn, so any help will be gratefully received.

How about this eBay listing?
If I was interested, where would I want to drop out of the bidding?
Does anyone know this car?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC-12-/371537161147?forcerrptr=true&hash=item5681572bbb:g:SAMAAOSwqYBWoBcj&item=371537161147
Thanks
A

DMC-81
01-26-2016, 09:12 PM
Hi there,

This seems like a solid car. I can't see the front crumple section, and I see some rust on the most forward section of the frame in the pictures. It's missing the aluminum air deflector plates ($160.00 for the pair), but other than that, it looks good, at least from the pictures.

Rich
01-26-2016, 09:25 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC-12-/371537161147?forcerrptr=true&hash=item5681572bbb:g:SAMAAOSwqYBWoBcj&item=371537161147

It looks good. Photos are consistent with the written description.

As Dana says, front susp. photos missing but the rest of the chassis looks like it would if it had been in Calif. since new as they claim.

The alarm appears to be the only non-stock addition so it seems to pass a few of your criteria nicely.

Claiming a current Calif. smog certificate suggests engine isn't in horrible shape.

Driver side door lamps out, easy fix. Trunk gasket shot, somewhat easy fix. As you mention your inexperience that passenger window problem could be tricky depending on what's wrong. You can easily break or damage parts and glass just getting at and working on the door/glass mechanisms. Parts for that are no problem. Getting that mended in NZ may be tricky, tho, unless you have a pal there who's handy. DMC SoCal could sort it out.

Looks better than the Volo offering. Seems to be a rust-free driver with very few issues. No comment on value.

alastairmansell
01-26-2016, 10:57 PM

As Dana says, front susp. photos missing but the rest of the chassis looks like it would if it had been in Calif. since new as they claim.

The alarm appears to be the only non-stock addition so it seems to pass a few of your criteria nicely.

Claiming a current Calif. smog certificate suggests engine isn't in horrible shape.

Driver side door lamps out, easy fix. Trunk gasket shot, somewhat easy fix. As you mention your inexperience that passenger window problem could be tricky depending on what's wrong. You can easily break or damage parts and glass just getting at and working on the door/glass mechanisms. Parts for that are no problem. Getting that mended in NZ may be tricky, tho, unless you have a pal there who's handy. DMC SoCal could sort it out.

Looks better than the Volo offering. Seems to be a rust-free driver with very few issues. No comment on value.
Thanks for the comments.
Have chucked a bid in. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I will get my DeLorean!
A

88KPH
01-27-2016, 07:27 AM
Agree looks a good one. Dependant on what it actually runs like, what do people reckon........ $30k finish?

Dangermouse
01-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Sounds like a car that has been recently brought out of hibernation (new fuels system components, new tires etc). Not that that is necesarily a bad thing, if done correctly.

I would order a carfax/autocheck report, if it were me, to see the mileage at the various smog tests over the years, and see where the gap is.

Needs a window regulator and probably the AC fixed. And a replacement radio. Shipping it home via DMCCA mightn't be a bad idea to get a thorough inspection done.

Jonathan
01-27-2016, 10:21 AM
If I was interested, where would I want to drop out of the bidding?
Does anyone know this car?
Thanks
A

You think there are a few too many rusty brackets and fittings for that car to have spent its entire life in SoCal? I think so. When you look at the bolt heads to the fuel tank closing plate as well as the studs left where the air deflectors would be, the bracket just behind the accumulator opening and a number of bolt or screw heads in the engine bay, it just doesn't look quite as "rust free" as you hope it would.

I'd find out if the alarm works or not and what it ties into that got modified. My experience with these classic car dealerships hasn't been good and while they might not try to purposely screw you, they might inadvertently do so anyway just from their own ignorance to what they are selling.

Plastic coolant bottle has been changed out, which is good. So too has the three-way valve on the air intake. It has the cold only performance duct. Does this matter when smog'ing a California car? I only ask because if it does, one might start to question whether it indeed does have a valid smog test pass.

Missing the outside seatbelt bolt cover on the driver's side. Might ask why there are wires hanging down from the centre console on the passenger side. People don't generally go in there unless they are fixing something or sorting a problem out. Not a for sure issue, just something to follow-up on when it catches your eye. Where did the driver's side floor mat go?

Sounds like a car that has been recently brought out of hibernation (new fuels system components, new tires etc). Not that that is necesarily a bad thing, if done correctly.

I would order a carfax/autocheck report, if it were me, to see the mileage at the various smog tests over the years, and see where the gap is.

Needs a window regulator and probably the AC fixed. And a replacement radio. Shipping it home via DMCCA mightn't be a bad idea to get a thorough inspection done.

Or if going through the expense of shipping a car to NZ anyway, you might see about paying DMCCA to go look at this car BEFORE you buy it and check it out for you. If you end up buying it, maybe that cost gets rolled into more work they can help you with prior to shipping. If you don't buy it because they don't like what they see, it ends up being a well spent $300 or whatever to rule a bad car out.

And if NZ gets the warm weather like I presume it does, finding out what it will take to get the A/C system working would be smart. I would not assume it will take an existing belt to be reinstalled and a $50 can of Red-Tek12 to top it up.

Dangermouse
01-27-2016, 11:29 AM
I was wondering of DMCCA offer that sort of inspection service, where their tech would travel to a location to look at and report on, a car??

alastairmansell
01-27-2016, 08:21 PM
Thanks. I have emailed DMCCA and got a very vague auto response. So I'm not sure whether they are able to offer that service or not.

On a different note, our city newspaper reported today that Delorean (Texas) is building 300 replicas. Cost to be about $100,000. Out of my budget anyway.

Anyway, i'm in on the auction. If it is meant to be, it will be!

Thanks to all who have helped so far. I'm quite blown away by the help and support.

A

alastairmansell
01-27-2016, 10:16 PM
OK, I'm not in the auction. I suggested I use an Escrow service as suggested by a couple of members, and tried to get the account details so I could set it up with my bank ASAP, due to time zone differences, and he has me down as a scam. So my bid is withdrawn and I'm blocked from bidding.
I have emailed him and hope to get it sorted.
I'll update you.
Wish me luck.
A

alastairmansell
02-01-2016, 01:02 AM
Many thanks to all who have given help and suggestions. I picked one up on eBay.
I plan to get it checked by DMC California and then will ship it back to New Zealand.
I look forward to taking part in this forum on an ongoing basis. I'm suspect that the DeLoreans "character" will mean I have plenty of reason to.
It's nice to be part of such a friendly enthusiastic community.
Alastair

Rich
02-01-2016, 01:15 AM
Many thanks to all who have given help and suggestions. I picked one up on eBay.
I plan to get it checked by DMC California and then will ship it back to New Zealand.
I look forward to taking part in this forum on an ongoing basis.

Congratulations!

Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to DeLorean ownership!

Ras12
02-01-2016, 09:27 PM
Congrats!

A friend of mine shipped his car overseas and had the trunk packed with spare parts he purchased from DMCH and eBay. Always nice to have essential spare parts that you may not be able to get in New Zealand easily.

Just a thought.

Enjoy!!!!

alastairmansell
02-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Congrats!

A friend of mine shipped his car overseas and had the trunk packed with spare parts he purchased from DMCH and eBay. Always nice to have essential spare parts that you may not be able to get in New Zealand easily.

Just a thought.

Enjoy!!!!

A good thought. I'm getting DMC CA to do their standard 11 page report for me. This should give me an idea of what may be useful. Any suggestion on what the "most popular" spares would be?

Mind you, I have blown the budget almost to the dollar on buying it and getting it shipped. I'll have to raid another money pot to pay the 15% sales tax that I have to pay to bring it into New Zealand! A trunk full of spares may be a bit beyond me. Probably lucky the trunk is pretty small :-)

Alastair

Jonathan
02-03-2016, 08:02 AM
A good thought. I'm getting DMC CA to do their standard 11 page report for me. This should give me an idea of what may be useful. Any suggestion on what the "most popular" spares would be?

Mind you, I have blown the budget almost to the dollar on buying it and getting it shipped. I'll have to raid another money pot to pay the 15% sales tax that I have to pay to bring it into New Zealand! A trunk full of spares may be a bit beyond me. Probably lucky the trunk is pretty small :-)

Alastair

The rules may have changed since 2007, or they may be different across different borders, but when I brought my car into Canada from the US, the shipper/customs broker made it very clear to me that there was not to be "extras" in the car. If an interior door trim panel was off and laying in the seat, ok, but they did not want to see boxes of things elsewhere in the car (trunk or otherwise).

There weren't any spares coming with my car at the time, and the place I bought it was not in the parts selling business, so I didn't challenge it. I would at least clarify what you're permitted to do before investing in a pile of parts. You might still get your car and parts, but the car delivery portion could be delayed and you might end up paying more than you intended to ship those parts separately if someone at customs takes exception to it.

Dangermouse
02-03-2016, 08:19 AM
I look forward to taking part in this forum on an ongoing basis. I'm suspect that the DeLoreans "character" will mean I have plenty of reason to.
It's nice to be part of such a friendly enthusiastic community.
Alastair

soooooo, which one did you buy?

dn010
02-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Even the majority of US companies shipping within the states do not want cars loaded down with boxes of parts, from what they told me it screws them up when calculating weight. If you're crossing borders then you've got customs inspections and boxes to go through takes longer. Out of dozens of car shipping experiences, I got lucky with loading a car with parts only one time and that was when I shipped my '57 Cadillac from NY to FL last year, we pulled the breaker and told them the truck wouldn't open - I did report the car as weighing 500lbs over curb weight though.

Congratulations on the purchase.

The rules may have changed since 2007, or they may be different across different borders, but when I brought my car into Canada from the US, the shipper/customs broker made it very clear to me that there was not to be "extras" in the car. If an interior door trim panel was off and laying in the seat, ok, but they did not want to see boxes of things elsewhere in the car (trunk or otherwise).

There weren't any spares coming with my car at the time, and the place I bought it was not in the parts selling business, so I didn't challenge it. I would at least clarify what you're permitted to do before investing in a pile of parts. You might still get your car and parts, but the car delivery portion could be delayed and you might end up paying more than you intended to ship those parts separately if someone at customs takes exception to it.

alastairmansell
02-03-2016, 03:55 PM
soooooo, which one did you buy?
This one
http://kurttannermotorcars.com/product/1982-delorean-dmc-12-grey-interior-31500-original-miles-5-speed-manual-very-original-california-car/
$28,600. Just on budget landed in NZ on what I inherited from my dad. Going to call it Bruce (BRUCE7 number plate) in memory of him.
Still have to find the 15% sales tax to pay at the border though.

alastairmansell
02-03-2016, 04:00 PM

I have checked with the shipping company and they are happy. I just have to manifest it and declare it for sales tax on it when it gets to New Zealand.
In reality, I have blown my budget so there would need to be a compelling reason to get any spares.

Dangermouse
02-03-2016, 05:00 PM
This one
http://kurttannermotorcars.com/product/1982-delorean-dmc-12-grey-interior-31500-original-miles-5-speed-manual-very-original-california-car/
$28,600. Just on budget landed in NZ on what I inherited from my dad. Going to call it Bruce (BRUCE7 number plate) in memory of him.
Still have to find the 15% sales tax to pay at the border though.

That's a nice looking car. Congrats

bigmac
02-07-2016, 01:35 AM
I would get DMCCA to sort out the issues before it leaves the US. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dangermouse
04-20-2016, 08:27 AM
I have checked with the shipping company and they are happy. I just have to manifest it and declare it for sales tax on it when it gets to New Zealand.
In reality, I have blown my budget so there would need to be a compelling reason to get any spares.

did you go through with the purchase and did the car make it to NZ?

alastairmansell
06-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Introducing Bruce The Delorean.
Most Deloreans are the female gender (temperamental and expensive to maintain). I understand that Bruce's previous owner called her Caitlyn. In reassigning the gender and changing its name, balance has been restored to the universe.
OR
My dad (Bruce) passed away 3 years ago. I got some money from his estate. Reduce my mortgage or do something a little exciting/risky. So the car is named after my dad.

Thanks to those in the forum who have assisted. I had Danny at DMC CA do a bit of work and shipped it back to New Zealand. It was pronounced "a good one" on arrival by the guys who were going to get it up to NZ specs.
I have now driven it a couple of times. It is to be a once or twice a week car.4366343664

Rich_NYS
06-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Congratulations!

Dangermouse
06-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Most Deloreans are the female gender (temperamental and expensive to maintain). I understand that Bruce's previous owner called her Caitlyn. In reassigning the gender and changing its name, balance has been restored to the universe.
OR
My dad (Bruce) passed away 3 years ago. I got some money from his estate. Reduce my mortgage or do something a little exciting/risky. So the car is named after my dad.

Thanks to those in the forum who have assisted. I had Danny at DMC CA do a bit of work and shipped it back to New Zealand. It was pronounced "a good one" on arrival by the guys who were going to get it up to NZ specs.
I have now driven it a couple of times. It is to be a once or twice a week car.4366343664

Is that 5368? Did you add the delorean logo to the hood?

So it went from being a Caitlyn to being a Bruce?? Well, I suppose that evens the balance somehow :)

Rich_NYS
06-13-2016, 02:41 PM
So it went from being a Caitlyn to being a Bruce?? Well, I suppose that evens the balance somehow :)

I totally didn't pick up on that until you posted it...lol!

DMC-81
06-13-2016, 05:48 PM
OR

Congrats! The car looks great!

Morpheus
06-15-2016, 02:31 PM
Congrats on the new ride! Welcome to your new obsession.

alastairmansell
06-15-2016, 06:11 PM
Is that 5368? Did you add the delorean logo to the hood?

No, Vin 10889. I must update my membership details.

Caitlyn to Bruce was just a convenient story. Fitted well with "current affairs".