PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5-Speed No reverse. Entire shift lever rotates when shifting

papanoel
01-16-2016, 01:07 PM
So I went to put it in reverse and wouldn't go after several attempts. Usually goes into reverse no prob after double clutching. Noticed the shifter was lose and rotating. Tried to see if I could get fifth in. Lever wants to rotate a lot.

Driving to my local shop now. What direction should I point them in.

PJ Grady Inc.
01-16-2016, 01:30 PM
So I went to put it in reverse and wouldn't go after several attempts. Usually goes into reverse no prob after double clutching. Noticed the shifter was lose and rotating. Tried to see if I could get fifth in. Lever wants to rotate a lot.

Driving to my local shop now. What direction should I point them in.

Sounds like the shift lever locator roll pin sheared off. Remove the shift boot/console plate and rubber noise isolator (if so equipped) and there should be a pin extending about 1/2" out of the lever and just over the shift gate recess. We carry a stronger double roll pin assembly that will get you out of trouble if you can't source it locally. If you're in NYC you're just an hour from us anyway.
Rob

David T
01-16-2016, 02:23 PM
This is usually cause by someone who does not know you must lift the shifter knob to bypass the reverse lock-out to get into reverse. When it gets forced the pin gets broken off. You really want that lock-out to work so you don't accidentally wind up in reverse. As long as you are going over the shifter mechanism make sure there is no play (looseness) in the shifter linkage. Some small rubber bushings wear out. You may also require a small adjustment to the linkage. The procedure is in your Workshop Manual. There is an exploded parts view in the Parts Manual. Also a good idea to lubricate the linkage and inspect the motor and transmission mounts and the fluid level in the transmission. If you continue to have problems shifting you may be due for a clutch. First flush the clutch cylinders and put in fresh fluid, see if that helps.

papanoel
01-16-2016, 02:42 PM
Thanks rob it appears to be the pin. If I had more time I would have driven to you Today. But don't have the time.

I'll see if I need to order the part from you.

More likely my fault being to rough trying to get car into reverse too roughly.