PDA

View Full Version : General Detailing?

dtavres
01-19-2016, 07:47 PM
I just picked up my car and it's in need of a good interior cleaning.

I just started my own business and it's been VERY busy, so I just can't spare the time to do an interior detail myself (plus, I doubt I could do as good a job as a professional), but my question is - is it sacrilege to have someone else detail my car?

PLEASE, don't reply with "It's up to you..." I'm looking for your OPINIONS :)

I feel like I should be the first one to detail the car, but again, I'm not an expert.

ALSO, I'm looking at a groupon for a local place that says they also do a wash and engine clean.

Should I do it?

========
During complete interior and exterior details—which take place at Promenade Car Wash & Spa—crews save up to 50 gallons of water by cleaning vehicles with organic plant-derived products. See everything included in the complete detail here. They also use paint sealant to keep exterior color glossy, and clean ducts and engines to make them run more cleanly.
========

Thanks all,
Dave

Rich_NYS
01-19-2016, 08:07 PM
I feel like I should be the first one to detail the car, but again, I'm not an expert.

ALSO, I'm looking at a groupon for a local place that says they also do a wash and engine clean.

Should I do it?

Thanks all,
Dave

Dave,

I think you should be the first & only one to clean your car, and allow yourself to become "an expert" (you already have a great start with the cool story of your purchase experience.) Also, detailing it will allow you to become more "personal" with your car.

Rich

Alan
01-19-2016, 10:50 PM
I have a different opinion than many. I've valeted my D (successfully; I'd do it again). I had a high school girls swim team wash her. They all enjoyed it. I got a clean car. They did a nice job. It wasn't a detail, but my point is, I don't think it's sacrilege. If you don't have the time, have it done.

I still agree with Rich that you should also find time to do it yourself, take the time to find your way around, and enjoy it... when you have time.

David T
01-19-2016, 10:59 PM
I have a different opinion than many. I've valeted my D (successfully; I'd do it again). I had a high school girls swim team wash her. They all enjoyed it. I got a clean car. They did a nice job. It wasn't a detail, but my point is, I don't think it's sacrilege. If you don't have the time, have it done.

I still agree with Rich that you should also find time to do it yourself, take the time to find your way around, and enjoy it... when you have time.

Any good shop that can detail a "high end" car can do a Delorean. You will have to give them special instructions on how to care for the S/S. They will probably not have any experience with that. They will need 80# sandpaper and a blending pad. Got to keep the grain STRAIGHT! The only leather is the seating SURFACES, the pull straps, the steering wheel and, if a 5-speed, the shifter boot. The rest of the interior is vinyl or carpet.

Nicholas R
01-20-2016, 04:15 AM
Any good shop that can detail a "high end" car can do a Delorean. You will have to give them special instructions on how to care for the S/S. They will probably not have any experience with that. They will need 80# sandpaper and a blending pad. Got to keep the grain STRAIGHT! The only leather is the seating SURFACES, the pull straps, the steering wheel and, if a 5-speed, the shifter boot. The rest of the interior is vinyl or carpet.

Since when is regraining stainless steel a standard part of a detail job??? And what business would offer it? Dave would you really let a shop that's never done a DeLorean before, come near your car with 80 grit sandpaper, after you just saying "go straight!"?? I think you'd have to be crazy to.

I'm not saying it's crazy to have a detailing place wash your car, but its crazy to think that they'd be qualified to regrain your car. Not even a blending pad; soft sponge only.

Dangermouse
01-20-2016, 08:05 AM
The first time thoroughly cleaning out your new-to-you car is the time you find all those nuggets left by the POs, so I would certainly do that part myself. I would have no issue letting some of the hooters girls wash the car, or one of those detail places detail (aka valet) the interior - it's only carpet and leather.

However I wouldn't let a car-wash monkey anywhere near the engine with a pressure hose; not to say you can't wash the engine, but I'd recommend doing it somewhere that if it doesn't start again due to water in the plug wells or something, that it can stay put for a few hours while it dries out. Personally, I clean mine in the driveway while they are running so I can hear the engine note change if water starts to get where it shouldn't be.

louielouie2000
01-20-2016, 09:31 AM
I just picked up my car and it's in need of a good interior cleaning.

I just started my own business and it's been VERY busy, so I just can't spare the time to do an interior detail myself (plus, I doubt I could do as good a job as a professional), but my question is - is it sacrilege to have someone else detail my car?

PLEASE, don't reply with "It's up to you..." I'm looking for your OPINIONS :)

Should I do it?

========
During complete interior and exterior details—which take place at Promenade Car Wash & Spa—crews save up to 50 gallons of water by cleaning vehicles with organic plant-derived products. See everything included in the complete detail here. They also use paint sealant to keep exterior color glossy, and clean ducts and engines to make them run more cleanly.
========

Thanks all,
Dave

If you don't even have time to wash the car, DeLorean ownership is going to be pretty sobering to you. These cars aren't exactly known for Camry-like ease of ownership.

In any event, I don't see any harm in taking the car to get detailed. Pretty much every dealer-listed DeLorean for sale has gone through that process. I don't think the interior could be harmed by letting someone go to town cleaning it. If you want to let them loose on the stainless or in the engine compartment, I'd definitely quiz them on exactly what products they use, and how they plan on applying them. For instance, depending on what substance they clean the stainless with, it could end up dirtying up the graining, or making the stainless look smudgy. Even worse, if they apply too much pressure while cleaning/polishing, they could bring out the dreaded "X" in the hood by deforming the stainless.

Under the engine compartment is where I'd be most reticent to let someone loose, though. High pressure water under there is definitely a no-no. At a minimum, there is risk of inundating your spark plug wells with water, and then your car will run like crap. Also, keeping water out of the engine valley beneath the intake is definitely recommended.

sdg3205
01-20-2016, 12:39 PM
To me, part of the joy of ownership is cleaning and detailing. If it's something you wanted to do, you'd find time. I work 10-12 hrs a day. My wind-down time is going into the garage to wrench, or detail if I have no wrenching to do. If you can't find time, then maybe it's not important to you. If so, then yes get someone else to do it.

Don't spray the engine if you don't have to. Fill a spray bottle with water and do bits and pieces. Simple green is great as a detergent.

That's my opinion.

Michael
01-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Since when is regraining stainless steel a standard part of a detail job??? And what business would offer it? Dave would you really let a shop that's never done a DeLorean before, come near your car with 80 grit sandpaper, after you just saying "go straight!"?? I think you'd have to be crazy to.

I'm not saying it's crazy to have a detailing place wash your car, but its crazy to think that they'd be qualified to regrain your car. Not even a blending pad; soft sponge only.

True Dat! On all points...what the heck is wrong with you David?

Trstno1
01-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Just my 2cents-

I don't think I would let anyone touch my car outside of my presence. Especially not long enough to wield a vacuum hose, pull on my rear view mirror, fumble around with getting in/out of the car let alone get anywhere near my engine compartment with a power washer or harmful chemicals that could start eating all the new hoses I just replaced. I almost have palpitations thinking about it!!

I am a busy person like most, but definitely make the time to enjoy working on and cleaning my car. Living the dream comes with a great responsibility. You own a rare piece of history that should be cared for and watched closely. Do you think the queen of England would take the Crown Jewels to a local jeweler to get cleaned? No way no how.

Not to mention, wouldn't this be the vision that would constantly be going through your head while away from your car???

88KPH
01-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Experts? Hahaha its called cleaning.
Whip the seats out and spend a few hours not thinking about your new business and save lots of bucks.
Good news all round! :cowboy:

mluder
01-20-2016, 05:35 PM
I would have no issue letting some of the hooters girls wash the car, or one of those detail places detail (aka valet) the interior - it's only carpet and leather.

And a couple of irreplaceable items - Like turn signal stalks, digital clock, factory stereo.
Also if you're not careful you can break off the trip reset shaft wiping down the binnacle and instrument cluster... ask me how I know.

Cheers
Steven

David T
01-20-2016, 07:49 PM
True Dat! On all points...what the heck is wrong with you David?

I didn't say take it to a car wash! I said take it to a "high end" shop. The really good high end shops work on cars worth many times more than a Delorean and can be trusted to do a good job. Touching up the graining is not all that hard and any detailer would paint and touch up a car to fix minor damage. In this case they can't touch up the paint, they would sand/blend out any scratches. I agree the owner should participate in the car of his car but not everyone has the time or the inclination or the place, and is perfectly happy to pay someone to do it. Just like not every owner will try to fix the mechanical or electrical systems of the car. Everyone enjoys their car in different ways. It is not so bad if an owner doesn't want to take care of his car just so long as he sees to it it IS taken care of! That way he can spend more quality time DRIVING it!

Michael
01-20-2016, 08:02 PM
I didn't say take it to a car wash! I said take it to a "high end" shop. The really good high end shops work on cars worth many times more than a Delorean and can be trusted to do a good job....

And I never said there was anything wrong with allowing someone to clean your car especailly if you don't have time. However letting someone near your car with a handful of 80 grit and a pat on the back is not my idea of instruction. Sure they may work on a 400,000 dollar Lamborghini but knowing how to wash a car does not in itself qualify you to regrain the stainless finish on a DeLorean.

PS I have been "touching up" paint on cars professionally for the past 12 years, trust me it's not as easy as dabbing paint on with a matchstick and I wouldn't trust a detailer to do that either. Furthermore the OP never inquired about regraining, just a wash. You made a big jump there.

dtavres
01-20-2016, 08:11 PM
Thanks all... great feedback.

I think I've got my answer :)

I DO want to know MY car inside and out - so I'll "detail" it myself.
I would never let a random person who didn't know DeLoreans touch the SS - just the interior.
I have felt the same way about having someone else clean/touch my car without me being right there (excluding DMC), so I don't think I'll ever be leaving it for someone else to clean.
I'm all for letting bikini-clad women wash the outside. lol

Thanks again!

01-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Personally, I would never let anyone else detail it. Would you let another man sleep with your wife?

Let alone use a groupon! Blasphemy! Sacrilege!

It will never shine the same again if you let another wash it. It must be washed with our sweat and tears. Nothing less. Otherwise it will view you as unworthy and it will splinter into a thousand microscopic rubber cracks that will require you to make the hero's journey to make it whole by repairing and replacing 1000 parts.

That is all.

Nicholas R
01-20-2016, 09:24 PM
It must be washed with our sweat and tears. Nothing less.

How do you collect your sweat and tears for washing? Is there some process where you sit in a sauna wrapped in a towel and then ring the towel out into a bucket? Does it make your car smell weird when you wash it? Just want to be sure I know how to maximize tear and sweat volume. :wink: Tears must be even harder.

01-20-2016, 09:32 PM
How do you collect your sweat and tears for washing? Is there some process where you sit in a sauna wrapped in a towel and then ring the towel out into a bucket? Does it make your car smell weird when you wash it? Just want to be sure I know how to maximize tear and sweat volume. :wink: Tears must be even harder.

No, it smells like angel hair. Because that, or in case of emergency, virgin hair, must be used to wash it. Luckily, if you're a female owner, there are endless male virgins willing to wash it with the hair still on their head.

The sweat occurs naturally, when big boisterous people approach it with meat hands. You just need an apparatus to collect the sweat. I think one of the DMCABC123 tinkerers can sell you such a thing. As for the tears, you have to remember the tear collecting jar when you replace (the wrong) parts. Keep it simple!

ETA: If you cry more from your left eye, you may be in trouble as they didn't order as many left eye collecting jars and what does exist is being squirreled away for kit car cleaning.

DMC-81
01-20-2016, 10:04 PM
No, it smells like angel hair. Because that, or in case of emergency, virgin hair, must be used to wash it. Luckily, if you're a female owner, there are endless male virgins willing to wash it with the hair still on their head.

The sweat occurs naturally, when big boisterous people approach it with meat hands. You just need an apparatus to collect the sweat. I think one of the DMCABC123 tinkerers can sell you such a thing. As for the tears, you have to remember the tear collecting jar when you replace (the wrong) parts. Keep it simple!

ETA: If you cry more from your left eye, you may be in trouble as they didn't order as many left eye collecting jars and what does exist is being squirreled away for kit car cleaning.

:hysterical: Good one!

I agree. I will let somebody else wash my daily driven grocery getter, but never the Delorean.

David T
01-20-2016, 11:11 PM
Proper detailing of a car is so much more than a once-over cleaning. A professional job aims to clean but also minimize any defects, stains, scratches, etc, that the car may have. Treating the leather, tucking and fitting the carpet properly, polishing out any blemishes in the paint, and so forth. Talk to a pro and see what they actually can do. Some also do PDR (Paintless Dent Repair), fixing tears in the leather, shampooing the carpets, touching up the dying of the leather and the carpet, polishing out scratches and fixing chips in the glass, there is a whole lot more than a bucket of suds. A good job can take at least a whole day the first time and cost hundreds of dollars. There are some who have a truck and will go to your house and do it while you watch. It's kind of like a mini prep for a concours.

SKnight
01-21-2016, 12:13 AM
Washing and detailing the car is something I actually really enjoy doing. As others have said, it allows you to become more personal with your D. Another big factor, is the only person I trust to clean the car is me.

88KPH
01-21-2016, 04:43 AM
Tears must be even harder.

No, he just lets someone else sleep with his wife, in the Delorean, (quite an achievement) while he cries and washes the out side, Simples!

Got me thinking, Has anyone ever actually 'christened' their Delorean? Impossible?
Or is that why this car needs valeting? The mystery deepens.

mr_maxime
01-21-2016, 08:13 AM
I put mine through an automated car wash. It's still driving and I still love it. I do drive mine a lot and don't have a garage or even access to a hose. Washing my car with sweat and tears only would be absurd for me.

I don't trust anyone to drive my car though. Only one friend that I let drive it since we both care about our own cars around the same level.

Morpheus
01-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Got me thinking, Has anyone ever actually 'christened' their Delorean? Impossible?

No, it's not impossible. You just have to be creative... and "bendy". I can't give any more details than that, sorry. :jawdrop:

Dangermouse
01-21-2016, 10:38 AM
No, it's not impossible. You just have to be creative... and "bendy". I can't give any more details than that, sorry. :jawdrop:

And you can't go back to that parking lot again...

88KPH
01-21-2016, 02:41 PM

Hahaha, I did actual mean with somebody else though!

Morpheus
01-22-2016, 08:26 AM
Hahaha, I did actual mean with somebody else though!

So did I. She was quite willing. And bendy.

88KPH
01-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Good man, have you got her number? lol