PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Water Spots on my Louvers...WHAT DO I DO!!!

Ryan King
01-25-2016, 09:22 PM
Hey Folks.

So unfortunately my car was out in the elements for a few months. (I know I know for shame). I had a car cover on it...but it rained at some point, soaking the car cover, and I didn't realize that water deposits formed on my louvers. I have tried EVERYTHING to get them off. I attempted to use polish to remove them, window cleaner, bar keepers friend, and even tried white vinegar...nothing has worked. I am about ready to repaint the damn thing...but I dont know if that will solve my issue or if they will shine through the paint.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

-Ryan

acaciolo
01-25-2016, 09:38 PM
test it at a small spot first, but I'd try some bathroom cleaner that is designed to remove waterspots. CLR or something like that. those are probably mineral deposits. Muriatic acid would clean it too, but I'd water it down a lot and test at an inconspicuous spot.

tony c

David T
01-25-2016, 10:37 PM
test it at a small spot first, but I'd try some bathroom cleaner that is designed to remove waterspots. CLR or something like that. those are probably mineral deposits. Muriatic acid would clean it too, but I'd water it down a lot and test at an inconspicuous spot.

tony c

Try Black Again.

Gregadeth
01-25-2016, 10:47 PM
I've been dealing with this as well, but mostly on the the black unpainted portions of the front and rear bumpers. The spots first appeared after it had rained. I first tried wiping them off with a wet towel but didn't help.

Michael
01-25-2016, 11:26 PM
Water spots are mostly mineral and contaminant deposits. A dressing will just cover them up or hide them, but not remove the deposits. I would try normal soap and water with a bug pad and some elbow grease. If that doesn't work, Amonia might do the trick, but it may, (doubtful) make the finish uneven, in which it will need to be dressed.

I personally keep the louvers as all black parts dressed and protected. For the louvers I use a different dressing which has a dull to semi-gloss finish which makes them look just like the left the paint booth.

Also remember that some water spots are simply a reaction to the dressing/protectant that is already on the panel or unpainted plastic. I do have to re-treat my chin spoiler after washing as the water dries out the places where it beaded up.

I should add that I have see these "deposits" actually eat into the paint leaving the impression that it's a water spot but in actuality, it's like a bunch of microscopic chips..much like bird crap leaves when it's left on paint too long.

sdg3205
01-26-2016, 12:42 AM
You could try 99% isopropyl too. Should be safe on fibreglass. Try the bottom of the Louvre first.

kajcienski
01-26-2016, 03:23 AM
As mentioned above - Black Again will make many parts of the car look amazing, and for a long time (UV activated). The only issue is if you plan to paint anything you apply it to in the near future. But that will fuse out eventually. If you want a deep black on all car parts, Black Again. Otherwise, there are solutions that will work more naturally - but I was seduced!

dn010
01-26-2016, 09:05 AM
Believe it or not, on all the fiberglass/painted surfaces - I use Black Magic Tire Shine, lots of dirt comes off when I use it on the louvers and it stays shiny for weeks - just don't get it on the glass or stainless.

88KPH
01-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Baby oil? :rofl:

Dangermouse
01-26-2016, 10:59 AM
LOL

Cali World Problems

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13107-DeLoreans-in-the-snow

skill
01-26-2016, 11:44 AM
For the louvers only: I'd try applying a conditioner, Maguire. Yep, test it in a small area first before applying it over the whole louver. If that fails, try a very light wet sand in 5k or higher grit levels w/ warm water n dish soap. Stay away from wet sanding the edges if you go there with it. From experience, SEMS black trim paint doesn't get along with after rain. Don't do this on the SS or bumpers.

Of course remove the louver and do this away from the car.

Mark D
01-26-2016, 02:59 PM
I had a few water spots on my louvers this fall when I found out the roof to my storage garage was leaking. I fixed the leaky roof and used Mothers Back To Black to remove the water spots. In the summer I use it once or twice a year on all the black bumper and trim parts ...so the fact that the louver was already treated may have helped in removing the water spots.

If you decide to try this stuff follow the instructions and don't apply too much. It's a clear/milky liquid that soaks in to keep the black parts black. Once dried you buff it to a nice semi gloss finish. During application it should float the mineral deposits out of the porous louver material and allow you to wipe it clean. It worked for me anyway.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39364&d=1453838276

Gregadeth
01-26-2016, 05:05 PM
These are the spots that appeared on my front and rear bumpers after it had rained heavily.

Ryan King
02-02-2016, 12:08 AM
SO I ended up trying the Mother's "Back to Black". Gotta say, I am very impressed with the results on my Rear Louvers...but...

The stains remain. :( They are less noticeable now...which I could possibly live with. But I *know* they're there. *sigh*

I'm wondering if they are just too deep or have eaten into the paint top layer of paint.

Half applied.

Final Product.

john 05141
02-02-2016, 11:06 AM
I applied that stuff makes makes plastic black also before. but I do not like shiny louvers.
And I noticed this applied stuff cames back off after a few washes als also becasue of the engine heat. So Iwas glad it was all gone. (I will never put that back on again)

I have 2 suggestions for you.
Go to the pharmacy and ask for ether. I always have a bottle of that stuff in the house. It is very good degreaser, and is mild for existing paint. It is not too aggressive for both your car and your skin.
It has a very strong odor like in a pharmacy (do that outside) but it is good stuf, cheap too.

If that does not work, something certainly effective but time consuming;
I'd use the finest grid sandpaper and lots of water grind in circles. But you will have to do the whole louver.
And polish again. Try the undersde first.

Hope it helps,
Jan

Michael
02-02-2016, 02:44 PM
If that does not work, something certainly effective but time consuming;
I'd use the finest grid sandpaper and lots of water grind in circles. But you will have to do the whole louver.
And polish again. Try the undersde first.

Hope it helps,
Jan

Wetsanding paint is a aquired skill and even I (who has been westanding cars for the past 20 years) would not attempt to do louvers. First, the outcome and reason we wetsand is to remove imperfections in a painted surface, the final result is an extremely glossy surface and if you want high gloss fascias then continue reading.

The paint used on louvers is not 2 stage automotive paint but single stage and the texture is somewhat rough. You will take a big chance of going through the paint, getting a wheel in the tight areas will be tough and the pressure needed would definitely strain the structure and you don't want to break them. If you have never wetsanded before, this is not what you want to cut your teeth on.

Best case you will end up with a glossy or semi glossy but very mottled finish. The time it takes to properly wetsand and buff a louver is a moot point when you could easily remove them, scuff, prep with a adhesion promoter and paint with SEM trim black.

I have seen only one set that was painted high gloss that looked really good and that was Matt's which was done with super expensive BASF automotive paint.

john 05141
02-03-2016, 02:14 PM
In that case I would search for some more solutions with existing products before repainting. That would be the last option ever.

Jan