PDA

View Full Version : Engine Belts rubbing/water pump question

Mattglas
01-29-2016, 08:41 PM
I just put my engine back together after installing Specialtautos new water pump and noticed something that doesn't look right. Both belts are touching each other and the water pump belt looks slightly skewed. I think the water pump has a press on pulley but I don't know how to adjust it. Any recommendations?

DMC-81
01-29-2016, 09:11 PM
Hi there,

Yeah, the belts should not be touching. The water pump - crank - alternator pulleys should be in the same plane, as should the A/C - idler - crank pulleys. The original owner on my car replaced the water pump with a non-delorean unit, and he had to modify the idler spacers to make the belts work. So, the A/C belt was out of plane, and it squealed. I replaced the idler spacers and put a DMC water pump on (OEM spec). Now it lines up perfectly.

Here's a pic of my set up so you can compare.

It looks like your water pump pulley is further in than mine, yet your belts touch (assuming the water pump casing is the same). I assume your AC belt is on the outside groove on the crank. You should be able to see if the various pulleys are out of plane. Edit: I missed your comment about the water pump belt being skewed.

Was it fine before you installed the Hervey pump?

hmcelraft
01-29-2016, 09:35 PM
Looks like the water pump pulley is not pressed on completely. There could be a couple of other reasons but, based on the look of the shaft space showing - it is not enough.

Delorean Industries
01-29-2016, 10:31 PM
If the pulley needs pushed on and properly seated the pump must be supported on a press. Pushing the pulling on without doing so will put the impeller into the rear housing.

Mattglas
01-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Well the car came without belts and I was told that the waterpump leaked hence why replaced it. So I'm not sure about how it fit before the replacement. Though when I was taking it off and reinstalling I noticed some strange nuts that we acting kind of like spacers between the water pump/engine. Is this stock?

DMC-81
01-29-2016, 10:50 PM
No, the nuts/spacers are not stock. They must have been a necessary modification for whatever brand the prior pump/pulley was.

DMCMW Dave
01-29-2016, 11:00 PM
Agreed - get the spacers out of there.