PDA

View Full Version : Engine Nology Power Core - Need Info - Stage II

Ryan King
02-01-2016, 09:14 PM
I have two questions -

1. Can someone please post a photo of the Nology Power Core that comes on a Stage II (So I can buy the right one again)

2. How the Power Core is wired up.

I have a Stage II engine. I just need these for Reference. Long story short, my Power Core went missing, don't remember how it was wired up and can't seem to find any photos of the correct Power Core plus its set up.

-Ryan

opethmike
02-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Honestly, get rid of the Nology wires entirely. They've been shown on dyno tests to decrease power by a good 5-10 horsepower. Regular wires are actually much better.

Patrick C
02-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Nology was a gimmick.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

"Like many in the past, Nology cleverly demonstrates a brighter free-air spark containing useless flash-over created by the crude "capacitor" (effect) of this style of wire. In reality, the bright spark has no more useful energy to fire a variable compressed air/fuel mixture than the clean spark you would see in a similar demonstration using any good carbon conductor wire. What is happening in such a demonstration is the coil output is being unnecessarily boosted to additionally supply spark energy that is induced (and wasted) into the grounded braided metal sleeve around the ignition wire's jacket. To test the validity of this statement, ask the Nology demonstrator to disconnect the ground strap and observe just how much energy is sparking to ground.

Claims by Nology of their "HotWires" creating sparks that are "300 times more powerful," reaching temperatures of "100,000 to 150,000 degrees F" (more than enough to melt spark plug electrodes), spark durations of "4 billionths of a second" (spark duration is controlled by the ignition system itself) and currents of "1,000 amperes" magically evolving in "capacitors" allegedly "built-in" to the ignition wires are as ridiculous as the data and the depiction of sparks in photographs used in advertising material and the price asked for these wires! Most stock ignition primaries are regulated to 6 amperes and the most powerful race ignition to no more than 40 amperes at 12,000 RPM.

It is common knowledge amongst automotive electrical engineers that it is unwise to use ignition wires fitted with grounded braided metal sleeves fitted over ignition cable jackets on an automobile engine. This type of ignition wires forces its cable jackets to become an unsuitable dielectric for a crude capacitor (effect) between the conductor and the braided metal sleeves. While the wires function normally when first fitted, the cable jackets soon break down as a dielectric, and progressively more spark energy is induced from the conductors (though the cable jackets) into the grounded metal sleeves, causing the ignition coil to unnecessarily output more energy to fire both the spark plug gaps and the additional energy lost via the braided metal sleeves. Often this situation leads to ignition coil and control unit overload failures. It should be noted that it is dangerous to use this style of wires if not grounded to the engine with grounding straps, as the outside of the braided cables will be alive with thousands of volts wanting to ground-out to anything (or anybody) nearby."

Nicholas R
02-01-2016, 11:39 PM
Nology was a gimmick.

"Like many in the past, Nology cleverly demonstrates a brighter free-air spark containing useless flash-over created by the crude "capacitor" (effect) of this style of wire. In reality, the bright spark has no more useful energy to fire a variable compressed air/fuel mixture than the clean spark you would see in a similar demonstration using any good carbon conductor wire. What is happening in such a demonstration is the coil output is being unnecessarily boosted to additionally supply spark energy that is induced (and wasted) into the grounded braided metal sleeve around the ignition wire's jacket. To test the validity of this statement, ask the Nology demonstrator to disconnect the ground strap and observe just how much energy is sparking to ground.

Claims by Nology of their "HotWires" creating sparks that are "300 times more powerful," reaching temperatures of "100,000 to 150,000 degrees F" (more than enough to melt spark plug electrodes), spark durations of "4 billionths of a second" (spark duration is controlled by the ignition system itself) and currents of "1,000 amperes" magically evolving in "capacitors" allegedly "built-in" to the ignition wires are as ridiculous as the data and the depiction of sparks in photographs used in advertising material and the price asked for these wires! Most stock ignition primaries are regulated to 6 amperes and the most powerful race ignition to no more than 40 amperes at 12,000 RPM.

It is common knowledge amongst automotive electrical engineers that it is unwise to use ignition wires fitted with grounded braided metal sleeves fitted over ignition cable jackets on an automobile engine. This type of ignition wires forces its cable jackets to become an unsuitable dielectric for a crude capacitor (effect) between the conductor and the braided metal sleeves. While the wires function normally when first fitted, the cable jackets soon break down as a dielectric, and progressively more spark energy is induced from the conductors (though the cable jackets) into the grounded metal sleeves, causing the ignition coil to unnecessarily output more energy to fire both the spark plug gaps and the additional energy lost via the braided metal sleeves. Often this situation leads to ignition coil and control unit overload failures. It should be noted that it is dangerous to use this style of wires if not grounded to the engine with grounding straps, as the outside of the braided cables will be alive with thousands of volts wanting to ground-out to anything (or anybody) nearby."

Wow... This should become a sticky-noted post for future reference. Amazing to me that people can get away with claims like that.

Ryan King
02-01-2016, 11:55 PM
Nology was a gimmick.

Well Shit.

Chris 16409
02-02-2016, 01:00 AM
Since that quote is from Magnecor, does anybody have any info on their wires? They list a product number for the DeLorean. I like that they are made in the USA. Their webpage is definitely a holdover from the early days of the internet.

BABIS
02-02-2016, 03:28 AM
Since that quote is from Magnecor, does anybody have any info on their wires? They list a product number for the DeLorean. I like that they are made in the USA. Their webpage is definitely a holdover from the early days of the internet.

IIRC they are made in the UK, top quality stuff..

mluder
02-02-2016, 04:38 AM

My car came with a braided main ignition wire from the coil to the center of the distributor cap. The braid is grounded to the engine block which is grounded to the frame... I recently replaced all my spark wires with a new set from DMCNW but I kept the original braided coil wire. Should I get that thing outta there?

Cheers
Steve

FABombjoy
02-02-2016, 10:01 AM
I've been running the Magnecor wires for over 10 years now, on both stock ignition and currently an MSD 6530. No complaints here!

Ryan King
02-05-2016, 02:12 AM
I'm wondering why DMC stopped selling the Nology sets all together. Anyone know?

Mark D
02-05-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm wondering why DMC stopped selling the Nology sets all together. Anyone know?

I'm pretty sure it was shortly after it became known that the Nology wires actually decreased performance. Somewhere on the board is another thread from a few years back with dyno test sheets and it was discussed there in greater depth.

EDIT:
Here is that previous thread

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2772-Nology-Spark-Plug-Wires&highlight=nology

Michael
02-05-2016, 01:49 PM
When I replaced my cap and rotor I threw out my Nologys too after reading similar stories and just used OE wires. I read a huge write up on how the Nology wires broke down prematurely.