PDA

View Full Version : General What do use to clean the stainless?

81DMCTurbo
02-02-2016, 07:04 PM
Hey guys, have some dirt and grime on the delorean, what products besides a blending pad do use to remove that tough to scrub dirt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delorean3610
02-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Vinegar, Barkeepers Friend, simple green, paint thinner, stainless appliance cleaner. Just be carful of the plastics and rubber.

DMCVegas
02-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Regular car wash soap. For really tough grime you can use gasoline or mineral spirits.

Riley88
02-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Mineral spirits and barkeepers friend here. To get it to shine i first used rags with mothers mag polish on the rear fenders then a scotchbrite pad with barkeepers friend and a squeegee to dry!

GR8SCOTT
02-03-2016, 02:51 PM

SKnight
02-03-2016, 03:43 PM
For a quick clean-up I use dish soap. If I really want to deep clean and get the stainless shining, I use Bar Keepers friend with a green scotch-brite pad (the kind you use on dishes). I prefer the liquid Bar Keepers Friend, since you don't have to worry as much about leaving a white residue behind, like you do with the powder.

mluder
02-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Most car wash soaps have some component of wax in them which isn't necessary on a car with no paint. In fact I've found it dulls the shine.
I use regular old Dawn dish soap. You know, the one that "takes grease out of the way..." or however that advertisement went. Anyway, it does a good job of removing oily fingerprints, etc and leaves a nice glow. A couple times a year I fiollow it up with Bar Keepers Friend. I prefer the liquid kind though it's also sold as a powder.

Cheers
Steven

DMCVegas
02-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Just keep in mind that while dish soap works well on the stainless and glass, you still have painted surfaces on your fascias and windscreen trim to be concerned about as well.

Stripping off the layer of wax protection will damage your fascias' clear coats, and ultimately the paint. And your trim around the windscreen doesn't even have any protection over the matte finish on it. It can lead to premature aging. I know this because of the PO of my car not taking care of the surface.

Choose a good, basic car washing soap that is wax free. I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal as it is perfect for this, but there are other non-wax choices as well. Use a good, clean sponge that is free of a scouring surface, and gently scrub with the grain.

If you have bugs, bird mess, tree sap, tar, or something else that will not come off easily with regular car soap, use gasoline or other mineral spirits to chemically dissolve the grime rather than mechanical force to scrape it off. This will limit, if not prevent entirely, any damage to the stainless grain. Only use a blending pad when you have a scratches blemishes that need to be blended in and erased. This goes for both single scratches or multiple ones that discolor the surface due to clashing with the factory grain surface.

If you wish to polish the car... Finish with a sealer, a SS polish, or even a wipe down with a used bath towel for your body oils to shine the metal.

However, you should NOT have to continuously use a blend pad on your car every single time you wash it. 304 Stainless is much softer than carbon steel, and will deform easily over a short amount of time when using excess pressure.

David T
02-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Just keep in mind that while dish soap works well on the stainless and glass, you still have painted surfaces on your fascias and windscreen trim to be concerned about as well.

Stripping off the layer of wax protection will damage your fascias' clear coats, and ultimately the paint. And your trim around the windscreen doesn't even have any protection over the matte finish on it. It can lead to premature aging. I know this because of the PO of my car not taking care of the surface.

Choose a good, basic car washing soap that is wax free. I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal as it is perfect for this, but there are other non-wax choices as well. Use a good, clean sponge that is free of a scouring surface, and gently scrub with the grain.

If you have bugs, bird mess, tree sap, tar, or something else that will not come off easily with regular car soap, use gasoline or other mineral spirits to chemically dissolve the grime rather than mechanical force to scrape it off. This will limit, if not prevent entirely, any damage to the stainless grain. Only use a blending pad when you have a scratches blemishes that need to be blended in and erased. This goes for both single scratches or multiple ones that discolor the surface due to clashing with the factory grain surface.

If you wish to polish the car... Finish with a sealer, a SS polish, or even a wipe down with a used bath towel for your body oils to shine the metal.

However, you should NOT have to continuously use a blend pad on your car every single time you wash it. 304 Stainless is much softer than carbon steel, and will deform easily over a short amount of time when using excess pressure.

Are you sure about that?
As for washing the car, the correct soap is car wash soap, it is more dilute and will wash off easier with less water and suds. For stubborn spots use hot water and if you have grease or tar use something like 3M cleaner or bug and tar remover. If you have hard water you should be using a water softener so you don't leave water spots. If your water is very hard you have to use a special soap that can make suds with hard water. Using gasoline to clean is very dangerous, it is not recommended.

krs09
02-04-2016, 11:13 AM
... WD40 .. good sh*t. Keep off plastic.