PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the Gold Delorean VIN 4301

Chris Burns
02-05-2016, 10:46 PM
Not sure if this was ever posted on here, but these are great pics of VIN 4301 in the Peterson Vault area.

http://www.drivingline.com/articles/cars-from-the-vault-24k-gold-1981-delorean/

88KPH
02-06-2016, 04:07 AM
Its an interesting oddity, but imo, the stainless looks a lot better.
Does anyone know if the wheels and engine parts are also gold plated or just painted?

JRNY13
02-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Man, that's quite the fender gap.

kajcienski
02-06-2016, 10:55 AM
I was just at the new Petersen museum after their $100 million dollar (yep) renovation, donated by Petersen's widow. Quite a place - but was sad to see some of the car displays gone - for example the old dealership, gas pump area, and old market displays. I think it takes some magic away for kids especially (young and old) going there and feeling a taste of time. But, it is an impressive building. I saw the gold DeLorean off in a separate area away from the vault tour, but had seen it before the renovation. I believe just the exterior and cabin interior are painted/plated gold. I would doubt anything in the engine compartment is different. Anyone know?

Rich
02-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Not sure if this was ever posted on here, but these are great pics of VIN 4301 in the Peterson Vault area.

Thanks for posting that link.

We've been in the Petersen Vault twice and admired this 24K D down there both times.

Since no photography is allowed on the Vault Tour this will have to do memory-wise.

The revamped Petersen itself is a big improvement - recommended to all auto enthusiasts. The Vault is an extra-cost option.

http://petersen.org/

mr_maxime
02-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Those are great pictures. Although how were you supposed to mount a license plate on there?

gullwingD
02-06-2016, 02:16 PM
I think some dealers (depending on if their state required a front license plate), would drill holes in the front fascia to hold the plate. Others came up with a bracket of sorts without damaging the front. My previous car had holes in the front fascia which always bugged me.

It's nice to see some pictures of what the inside of an original low mileage DeLorean looks like. It really looks like the leather seats have held up great, and still retain the wrinkles. Anyone ever see any original seat covers go up for auction? If so, what do they go for these days? I'm sure someone has a closet full of them somewhere...

Those are great pictures. Although how were you supposed to mount a license plate on there?

mr_maxime
02-06-2016, 11:26 PM
I meant the rear fascia. There are no screw holes

gullwingD
02-07-2016, 01:04 AM
I meant the rear fascia. There are no screw holes

I figured that after I looked at the pics a second time :)

Tamir A.
02-08-2016, 02:46 PM
http://www.entermyworld.com/gallery/gold-deloreans

I visited the Peterson when they first took possession of the car and they let me do a private photograph session. Also visited the one in Reno. These pics should help answer some of your questions. Sorry the pics are so small, that was the way sites used to look back in the day.

T.