PDA

View Full Version : Brake Brake fluid leaking between hardline and flex hose - epoxy damage

Ryan S.
02-10-2016, 11:45 PM
I discovered some minor leak around connection between hardline and flex hose (left front). Epoxy coating around flex line is peeling off and area is wet.
I plan to take it apart this weekend and see if I can fix it.

Questions
1. Should I replace fluid while I am doing this? fluid is about 2.5 years old.
2. What should I do about corrosion around connector frame? Not sure how to clean that out. Should I sand it down and repaint?
3. Metal end of flex line looks a bit rusted and dark because of fluid leaking. Line is also about 2.5 years old. Do I need to replace the flex line?

Thank you

sdg3205
02-11-2016, 02:20 AM
1. How dark is the fluid? If it doesn't look nice and clear, change it.

2. Scrape and sand, then clean with acetone. then POR15 grey, color match with smoke grey from a spray bomb.

3. No, flex line should be fine.

DMC-81
02-11-2016, 07:38 AM
Hi Ryan,

I would suggest determining where exactly the leak is happening, and that will give you an idea whether it's just a loose connection, or a failed part. Judging by where the epoxy damage is, it seems to be happening above the connection, so I wouldn't rule out a flex hose yet.

Good luck.

David T
02-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Brake (and clutch fluid) should be flushed and changed every 2 years. After fixing the leak you will have to bleed anyway. The hose may be the leak. If it is leaking replace all 4 hoses.

sdg3205
02-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Brake (and clutch fluid) should be flushed and changed every 2 years. After fixing the leak you will have to bleed anyway. The hose may be the leak. If it is leaking replace all 4 hoses.

Dave is right about the fluid. Change it anyway. The longer you avoid it the more damage it does to the internals.

I don't agree that all 4 soft lines need to be replaced if one is leaking though. Have you confirmed that it isn't simply in need of some tightening? Have you used brake clean to clean the area to confirm the leak is ongoing and not the result of sitting residual fluid from prior work?

DMCMW Dave
02-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Dave is right about the fluid. Change it anyway. The longer you avoid it the more damage it does to the internals.

I don't agree that all 4 soft lines need to be replaced if one is leaking though. Have you confirmed that it isn't simply in need of some tightening? Have you used brake clean to clean the area to confirm the leak is ongoing and not the result of sitting residual fluid from prior work?

If the fitting is loose, the leak would be below the painted area. I'd guess this is a defective line / fitting crimp. Stuff happens.

Ryan S.
02-11-2016, 09:06 PM
Uggg.... I was afraid of that.